The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2010, 01:59 PM   #1
lykame
"TRF" Member

Icon10 The long story of my short journey to becoming a Rolex owner! :D

Hello! :)

I have just discovered this forum and want to share my excitement, because I am getting a Rolex! I have to tell people! Just don't have many people to tell, and so I figured I would tell like-minded people who could better understand my enthusiasm. :D

Furthermore, I like stories, and it gives me satisfaction to talk this through, so this'll probably be long. I'll have fun talking about it, though. :D

My name's Lydia. I'm 25, an age that I can't get my head around because I feel like a teenager still. I'm from England.

For 35 years my mum has worn only one watch. It's a Tudor. She used to be married to the European something-or-other for Tudor, and he gave her this watch as a present. She says that he had it commissioned for her and that it's a one off. It's an 18K gold watch, it's mechanical and has to be manually wound every day. She's worn it pretty much every day and only ever had it serviced once (having done some reading I am now encouraging her to get it serviced again because it must be in need of one!)

It doesn't keep great time, and she'll often think she's ten minutes ahead of the real time, but although I'm not really a fan of yellow gold, it's a beautiful watch. It's possible to easily take the mechanism out, which is always a bit heart-stopping, but the mechanism is out of this world to me. So gorgeous, and a work of art. And science and mechanics. I just love this idea that she's instilled in me - to have a beautiful watch of great quality and to have it for life. I really like that idea; it just sits right with me.

A while ago I was admiring some diamonds in a shop, and the display case that I was looking in had some luxury watches. I spotted a JLC Reverso with the skeleton reverse and LOVED it. But alas, my wrists are tiny and that's a man's watch. It may be a good look on some, but the face of this watch was pretty much wider than my wrist. But it set something off in me - I went from liking the idea of having an excellent watch to actually really really wanting to have one, and wanting to have one right now.

This was about two months ago, and so started my search.

I have a skeleton pocket watch that I really love, because you can see the mechanism and it's beautiful. It was just a cheap thing, but I really adore it. So what I really wanted was a better quality watch that was small and skeletonised.

They don't really exist. There are lots of skeletonised watches, but none that meet my criteria.

I was also somewhat charmed by the notion of a JLC, but only the smallest ones fit me, and of those smallest ones, I only liked two, and even then not a huge amount - the Reverso Florale, which is considerably out of my price-range, and another which unfortunately was a quartz. Now, I don't need my watches to be dead-on accurate, I just want the magic of knowing that I have this amazing machine on my wrist. So that wiped out the idea of a JLC, which is a shame because I was somewhat charmed by the idea. Although the male one with the skeletonised back was the most beautiful to me.

I went to London a couple of weeks ago (to get my ring serviced) and stopped in at Harrods, because that's always a great experience, not that I ever buy anything from there. They have a room full of watches, many in the absolutely ridiculous sort of price range (£200,000, etc). They also have a tiny little Rolex room there.

My mum's watch, her Tudor, for years I have viewed it as 'her Rolex'. So perhaps to honour her idea I went into that little room in Harrods.

Let's talk about a big convert from upturned nose to 'oh, wow, breathtaking'.

A few months ago I decided I didn't particularly buy into the idea of Rolex. I'm not sure why I decided this at all, I just did. I looked at their watches and decided that they were a bit too bulky, and that the fluted bezel on many was somewhat ugly. I also decided (I have no idea why) that I wasn't particularly keen on diamonds on watches (and I am a ridiculous fan of diamonds).

In this little room a very nice salesman gently suggested I could try on a Rolex. I found myself tempted. I eye-balled them and the 26mm Datejusts caught me eye.

I tried on a few, and gosh, within the space of that experience I went from not liking Rolex (for no obvious reason) to absolutely being swept off my feet by them. And quickly I figured out what criteria I liked, which was somewhat amusing to me considering what I had previously decided I didn't like.

My perfect Rolex is as follows:

The 26mm Datejust, in Stainless Steel with a jubilee bracelet. The white gold fluted bezel actually really appeals to me, because I like how it breaks up the light and you don't just get a solid gleam of metal. I have also read, in my search of watches, that the fluted bezel honours when they required this to make the watches waterproof, and for me knowing the 'why' of something makes the appreciation of it significantly more.

Of the various dials I saw, my favourite was the white mother of pearl with diamonds. Considering that I had gone as far as thinking diamonds on watches could sometimes be too much like bling and tacky, I think clearly I am my own hypocrite.

:D

So yeah, that's the Rolex I decided I wanted, which is typical because I believe the dial costs about as much as the watch itself. Whoops.

Quote time. I went to a number of places, and they all quoted me the same apart from one place that quoted a good £400 more. Someone suggested that I do it in stages - get a cheaper dial and then wait a while and upgrade later. But I would struggle with that - I have the watch I want stuck to my retinas, and would want it from the offset, not one that I'll upgrade later. I have no problems with upgrading, but I'd rather not settle for less. Gosh I guess that's silly of me too. But honestly I'd rather wait longer and get what I want first time around.

On Friday I went shopping with my mum, and I needed a chain fixed. It just so happened that because we were rushing I went into the first jewellers I saw, and they just so happened to be a Rolex authorised dealer. I was charmed by them because they did my chain for free, so I asked for a quote on the Rolex. I was quoted the same as elsewhere, but I was speaking to the manager, who told me that I could have a 10% discount on the watch.

Now that's tempting, but it's still an amount I'd rather not shell out right now.

THEN he told me that I could put down a 20% deposit on the watch and then have interest free finance over two years. So I don't pay more on the watch than what I've been quoted and get it earlier than I would have otherwise. Furthermore, in England in January the tax goes up a further 2.5% so it's cheaper to buy the same Rolex now than it is to buy it then. Considering no other place had even offered finance, to also get a massive 10% off a Rolex from a completely legitimate place was really very happy making.

My mum persuaded me to go for it. So I did. They have to order it in, so it'll take maybe two weeks, but the anticipation is really nice. And it feels special to me, like I am honouring my mum.

Aaaaah, so excited! I have specifically asked for white mother of pearl because the flashes of colour in mother of pearl don't appeal to me so much. But yes, I am so looking forward to my Rolex, exactly as I described above!!! :D

And yes yes, I know this is long, but it's been really fun sharing this somewhat short journey with you. :D

Best wishes,
Lydia.
lykame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:08 PM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

That's quite the story Lydia....
Welcome to TRF and congratulations on your first (incoming) Rolex!

Looking forward to the pics when it arrives and lands on your wrist....

Enjoy the forum and it's many great members,
Rob.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:10 PM   #3
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Lydia, welcome to TRF!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:17 PM   #4
lykame
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much,

Yeah, I know, I got carried away. But I am so excited! :D

Thanks for such a warm welcome. I have already spent some time hunting through the posts here and just generally browsing. This forum is great! I have at least one silly question (how I found the forum in the first place) but I plan to search and research before I ask.

Lydia.
Old 22 November 2010, 02:19 PM   #5
ZhaoYun
"TRF" Member

What a lovely story, welcome to TRF and hope to see your comment after getting it !
ZhaoYun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:19 PM   #6
lykame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfknauss View Post
Lydia, welcome to TRF!
Really thank you,

How lovely to get such a warm welcome when clearly the forum is a very busy one!

Rolex has taken over my brain! :D
Old 22 November 2010, 02:20 PM   #7
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
thanks for the story- i took a cigarette break half way through :) congratulations and welcome to TRF.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:20 PM   #8
TheCanadian
Banned

Watch: GMTIIc, TTDJ2
Welcome Lydia
TheCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:21 PM   #9
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
thanks for the story- i took a cigarette break half way through :) congratulations and welcome to TRF.

You need to read faster Chris!

Old 22 November 2010, 02:22 PM   #10
tulsaokusa

Watch: 2010 SS/Black SubC
Welcome Lydia... I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing with such animation.

Cheers...
tulsaokusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:26 PM   #11
lykame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhaoYun View Post
What a lovely story, welcome to TRF and hope to see your comment after getting it !
Well, thank you for reading!

And I'll have to try my hand at picture taking, surely.

Can't wait!
Old 22 November 2010, 02:30 PM   #12
lykame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That made me laugh, hehe.

I long ago gave up trying to make shorter posts. Perhaps get a drink too, next time? :D
Old 22 November 2010, 02:33 PM   #13
lykame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadian View Post
Welcome Lydia
Thank you, it's lovely to be here. I wasn't expecting such a reaction! In fact, I had settled down for bed, and have removed my contact lenses, so this seeing thing is quite the challenge. But I'm so impressed by this welcome I am receiving that I have to respond to everyone! :D Although bed is calling as another day at work looms. Dun dun duh! Work gets in the way of my sudden obsession with wanting to read the whole of this forum.
Old 22 November 2010, 02:35 PM   #14
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post

You need to read faster Chris!
im trying to work at the same time too;) it 1535 here in Sydney. AND alot warmer than where all of you are when do you arrive here again mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lykame View Post
That made me laugh, hehe.

I long ago gave up trying to make shorter posts. Perhaps get a drink too, next time? :D
i will bear that in mind for next time, yup but iwas definitly worth the read
to that

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:37 PM   #15
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Good choice.

I am looking forward to the pix.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:38 PM   #16
lykame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.mobi View Post
Welcome Lydia... I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing with such animation.

Cheers...
Really a pleasure, I haven't been able to express my glee to anyone, so you guys get a good brunt of it.

And now, bed time. All this squinting is starting to hurt! :D
Old 22 November 2010, 02:40 PM   #17
Ear Pain
"TRF" Member

Hi Lydia, no turning back now!!!!

Cheers, David
Ear Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:41 PM   #18
FlyingMoose
"TRF" Member

Where did you see that the fluted bezel was originally related to waterproofness? I've never heard of that, it sounds interesting.
FlyingMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 02:42 PM   #19
sleddog

Quote:
im trying to work at the same time too;) it 1535 here in Sydney. AND alot warmer than where all of you are when do you arrive here again mate?

Thanks for reminding me.....

Dec 27th.

Lydia, it's refreshing to see the enthusiasm..You'll fit in well here!

Old 22 November 2010, 03:12 PM   #20
turnographguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Turnograph-JUB
Nice story! Sounds like a beautiful watch. Can't wait for the pictures!!
turnographguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 04:00 PM   #21
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
Where did you see that the fluted bezel was originally related to waterproofness? I've never heard of that, it sounds interesting.
A bit (I apologize to the OP).....I did a little search on that, on fluted bezel and waterproofing, and came up with this, which turns out to be an interesting article, although not really addressing the above, but discussing a fluted bezel and waterproofing. Enjoy:

http://www.atquid.com/viewArticle.ph...tic_Wristwatch

“His setting mechanism was original and worked by turning a fluted bezel. Harwood had eliminated the winding stem, thereby simultaneously addressing the problem of waterproofing. The inconvenience was that you had to shake the watch to wind it. Additionally, the system meant to prevent the spring from over-winding was fragile. In fact, it was Harwood who latter suggested replacing it with a slip bridle; but I don’t think it’s him who invented that.”

"Today, John Harwood is recognized as the inventor of the automatic wristwatch, and in all fairness provided the basis for Rolex's and other companies’ subsequent developments. In fact, an early Rolex prototype, built around a Harwood movement, even has been documented"

And actually, it was Adrien Philippe, of Patek Philippe, who I believe invented and patented the "slip bridle" in 1863, long before there were even self winding watches.

Why I know this I have no idea!

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 04:15 PM   #22
cyglee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gmtll,LV,SD,GV,etc
Ok, back to welcoming Lydia and her charming enthusiasm.
cyglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 04:20 PM   #23
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyglee View Post
Ok, back to welcoming Lydia and her charming enthusiasm.
Indeed! Welcome Lydia!!

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 04:45 PM   #24
Hydrographer

Watch: 116610LN 116613LB
Welcome Lydia, your enthusiasm is really quite infectious. great story :)
Hydrographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 04:46 PM   #25
Desperado
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Platinum
Welcome to TRF Lydia :) I hope that you enjoy your stay as much as we all do
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 07:05 PM   #26
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Welcome to TRF Lydia, look forward to seeing your Pics once you pick up your watch.
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 07:33 PM   #27
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your story. You're excitement really shows, and rightfully so. Be sure to post some pictures once you receive your new datejust.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 08:27 PM   #28
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Hi Lydia, welcome aboard!

Remember, when your watch arrives we need pix!

Btw, sounds like your Mum's Tudor is overdue for a servicing.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 08:30 PM   #29
Cannop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Welcome Lydia! It would be great to see some pictures when you finally take delivery. It's lovely to see such enthusiasm

Cannop
Cannop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 08:36 PM   #30
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Congrats on your incoming Rolex 6 welcome to TRF Lydia

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote