The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 August 2020, 08:43 PM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex Enthusiast ... Strongly Considering an AP RO Jumbo

Have done some good research on a planned AP RO Jumbo acquisition. Courtesy of this sub-forum, including its great “sticky” information, I feel as though I am scaling (albeit) slowly the learning curve on the Ref. 15202ST (“Jumbo”).

My watch collecting and background has predominantly focused on Rolex, apart from the random Tudor, Omega and Cartier (wife). I am doing standard due diligence on available watches, sellers, themselves, etc.

One question I am looking for confirmation on: If I have no prior buying history with an AP Boutique (and there is not one near where I live in the Midwest), is my best and only option secondary market?

I am quickly falling in love with the Jumbo, and am willing to pay secondary market prices. I just want to make sure I am going the best path available to me, as this would, by far, be the most expensive watch purchase to date. Just want to get it right.

Appreciate thoughts anyone has to offer here.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:28 PM   #2
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Hi illiguy, for a Jumbo with no purchase history you will almost certainly need to buy on the secondary market. To find it at a boutique would be like walking into a Rolex AD that doesn’t know you and hoping they will sell you a ss Daytona ahead of their other clients. If you go the secondary market route, the 15202 is one of the few watches that most seem to feel is worth its market price.
On the other hand; I’m sure this isn’t the advice you were looking for but depending on your wrist size there are several great jumbo alternatives you could possibly get at a boutique as a first time purchaser (15500, 15450, 26331, 26315, ROO etc). Depends on how true to the original RO design you want to stay and will be a personal preference.
Post pictures either way and best of luck to you!
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:30 PM   #3
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
The Jumbo is as hard or perhaps even harder to obtain retail through boutique or AD without significant prior purchase history, than the white face 116500LN. Going grey may be your best and only option if you’ve decided to procure one in the near future.
Old 5 August 2020, 09:37 PM   #4
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Fantastic watch, ton of history behind it. I purchased mine from a well known seller on the forum, I figured there was no way to purchase retail. No regrets. Good luck with your decision.
dbfagan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:59 PM   #5
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Would love to add a 15202 to the collection - grey is the only way unless you have a well established purchase history with an AP AD.
Watchflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 12:17 AM   #6
Dmnyc
"TRF" Member

I think 15202 and 15500 blue are both very hard to get (probably similar difficulty now..) seems like the 15500st is catching up into the mid 30s for the blue.
Dmnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 12:28 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Just a caution as someone who wore rolex exclusively for 20 years and then gravitated to the jumbo.

The jumbo wears amazing, it is wonderfully thin and form fitting to the wrist. I have not tried or owned another watch that has felt as good on my wrist. (Daytona and 5711 are tied for 2nd)

The water resistance is relative to a rolex problematic. The jumbo is not a watch you wear in the ocean or shower with confidence.

The jumbo will scratch and dent in ways and places that will make your heart sink.

The date, simply put, is a pain to set.

Finally the jumbo along with similar AP case style should be tried on before purchase, though it fit the size of my wrist without issue, smaller wrists can find the watch unforgiving.

It is a beautiful watch with great history and amazing wrist presence. This is one of those watches it is especially important to try on before you pull the trigger, especially if you are considering paying the secondary market premium.

Old 6 August 2020, 12:51 AM   #8
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Sadly yes. But maybe...coming from so much rolex robustness, I might recommend wearin g a 15450 just to get use to RO before taking the plunge. I love my 15500...but as subtona suggests, ever ding hurts a bit more on AP than it does on Rolex. And that's not a safe queen issue, it's an athestic issue on how the AP is detailed and catches light.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 03:44 AM   #9
Vipes
"TRF" Member

15202 is an awesome AP. I regretfully sold mine a couple of years ago and do miss it. I considered getting one on the grey market but at around 40k was not worth it to me. I have a 15300 which is a really nice watch and much cheaper. I’m not saying you should settle but I would think hard about this purchase. See if you can somehow try one on. Good luck!
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 10:51 PM   #10
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6067 View Post
Hi illiguy, for a Jumbo with no purchase history you will almost certainly need to buy on the secondary market. To find it at a boutique would be like walking into a Rolex AD that doesn’t know you and hoping they will sell you a ss Daytona ahead of their other clients. If you go the secondary market route, the 15202 is one of the few watches that most seem to feel is worth its market price.
On the other hand; I’m sure this isn’t the advice you were looking for but depending on your wrist size there are several great jumbo alternatives you could possibly get at a boutique as a first time purchaser (15500, 15450, 26331, 26315, ROO etc). Depends on how true to the original RO design you want to stay and will be a personal preference.
Post pictures either way and best of luck to you!
Thanks for the feedback. I have a small wrist - 6.5” and dead-set on original Royal Oak design

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfagan View Post
Fantastic watch, ton of history behind it. I purchased mine from a well known seller on the forum, I figured there was no way to purchase retail. No regrets. Good luck with your decision.
Thank you! Yes, buying the sellers has arguably been just as important to me as finding the right conditioned watch. I am also going TRF “trusted seller” route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Just a caution as someone who wore rolex exclusively for 20 years and then gravitated to the jumbo.

The jumbo wears amazing, it is wonderfully thin and form fitting to the wrist. I have not tried or owned another watch that has felt as good on my wrist. (Daytona and 5711 are tied for 2nd)

The water resistance is relative to a rolex problematic. The jumbo is not a watch you wear in the ocean or shower with confidence.

The jumbo will scratch and dent in ways and places that will make your heart sink.

Finally the jumbo along with similar AP case style should be tried on before purchase, though it fit the size of my wrist without issue, smaller wrists can find the watch unforgiving.

It is a beautiful watch with great history and amazing wrist presence. This is one of those watches it is especially important to try on before you pull the trigger, especially if you are considering paying the secondary market premium.

Thank you for this. Appreciate tips on limited water resistance. I am planning to wear carefully, but not necessarily baby the watch. I don’t mind normal wear. Why do you say the watch is unforgiving for smaller wrists? Seems the slim profile and 39mm size (which might wear a little bigger, let’s say 41mm type feel) would be in the sweet-spot for smaller wrists. If anything, I figured the Jumbo might not be a great fit for larger wrists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Sadly yes. But maybe...coming from so much rolex robustness, I might recommend wearin g a 15450 just to get use to RO before taking the plunge. I love my 15500...but as subtona suggests, ever ding hurts a bit more on AP than it does on Rolex. And that's not a safe queen issue, it's an athestic issue on how the AP is detailed and catches light.
Good to know. Obviously, not trying to beat the watch up, but don’t mind the watch organically “building character” through normal wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
15202 is an awesome AP. I regretfully sold mine a couple of years ago and do miss it. I considered getting one on the grey market but at around 40k was not worth it to me. I have a 15300 which is a really nice watch and much cheaper. I’m not saying you should settle but I would think hard about this purchase. See if you can somehow try one on. Good luck!
I hear you on this. I am trading in a Rolex and putting cash on top to help soften the secondary market price. It’s a special reference, so I am willing to take the plunge here.
Old 8 August 2020, 03:21 PM   #11
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
what a great post by subtona. good luck with it illiguy, such a great watch. so thin!
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 10:24 PM   #12
illiguy

Assuming ~ $4-$5k price difference (and trusted seller for both watches), would you go for a new 15202 or a pre-owned with box and papers?
Old 10 August 2020, 05:06 AM   #13
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
15202 is the watch for connoisseurs. No other watch come close to it in terms of design and feel on the wrist. You should try one to understand what really is and after owning you will never look back. Consider it like an exit watch. Buying one from the boutique is almost impossible and think like 3x harder than a white dial Daytona.

Market price for a new one is around 45k usd and when considering the other pcs. like 5711 and 116500 the price is about 50% of the list (not more than double).

If i were you i would go for the new one dated in 2020 by paying 4-5k usd more. Its delicate piece & service is not like Rolex. So, being the first owner will be a plus.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:48 AM   #14
Uros
"TRF" Member

Its an amazing watch, really enjoying mine. Is it worth 40k plus eur? Probably not as there are many more options in that price range but understand the itch to have it. For 40k would probably buy ROO/ROC and maybe simple overseas for example...

Wear and tear are relatively ok as it is thin so it doesn't scratch often, I wear mine few times per week and it is in good shape...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:34 AM   #15
illiguy

Nice, and thanks for your feedback. Heart is set on the Jumbo, willing to pay a reasonable, secondary market price for unworn example but finding one hard to source.

If trusted seller, any hesitations from you or anyone else on going pre-owned? Would be out-of-warranty which is one concern. Also, not definitively being able to determine whether watch has been polished or not (been told by trusted seller that example for sale has not been polished) also sub-optimal. Price savings are an input, not an overriding one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros View Post
Its an amazing watch, really enjoying mine. Is it worth 40k plus eur? Probably not as there are many more options in that price range but understand the itch to have it. For 40k would probably buy ROO/ROC and maybe simple overseas for example...

Wear and tear are relatively ok as it is thin so it doesn't scratch often, I wear mine few times per week and it is in good shape...

Old 11 August 2020, 07:29 AM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

Solid.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 11:28 AM   #17
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
No prior buying - 0%
You have to add 3-4 pieces to get a chance and it’s about building history not just buying 2 or 3 right there and then.
If they then do give you the opportunity it’s about 2-3+ years

All this is what my SA at my AP boutique has told me in person
Old 11 August 2020, 01:15 PM   #18
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have a small wrist - 6.5” and dead-set on original Royal Oak design

Thank you! Yes, buying the sellers has arguably been just as important to me as finding the right conditioned watch. I am also going TRF “trusted seller” route.

Thank you for this. Appreciate tips on limited water resistance. I am planning to wear carefully, but not necessarily baby the watch. I don’t mind normal wear. Why do you say the watch is unforgiving for smaller wrists? Seems the slim profile and 39mm size (which might wear a little bigger, let’s say 41mm type feel) would be in the sweet-spot for smaller wrists. If anything, I figured the Jumbo might not be a great fit for larger wrists.

Good to know. Obviously, not trying to beat the watch up, but don’t mind the watch organically “building character” through normal wear.

I hear you on this. I am trading in a Rolex and putting cash on top to help soften the secondary market price. It’s a special reference, so I am willing to take the plunge here.

The reason subtona said it could be unforgiving on a smaller wrist is because the lug to lug distance is 52.3 mm when you count the integrated bracelet flare.

You need to try it on with a 6.5 inch wrist because you might have a bit of overhang depending on the shape of your wrist.

In addition to subtona’s excellent summary, I would add that crown is on the smaller side, so it’s a bit of a pain to wind.

Love mine and wouldn’t think of parting with it.