The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 March 2019, 09:54 AM   #1801
waspy1
Banned

Been wearing this a lot recently:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 08:25 PM   #1802
Costa Rakaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlGreenie View Post
I have been a Rolex guy for years and acquired a nice collection. But... I cannot take my eyes off the A Lang and Sohne watches. I have no reference point to start with; only what I can read and see on the internet which is never the most reliable. The Grand Lange 1 is what I was initially drawn to but the more I look, the more I like other styles. Can someone give me an opinion about a good ‘starter’ A Lang and Sohne model? Are there any that you would stay away from? What would be a good entry point? And why is it that after looking at all the different styles that suddenly the Rolex seems a lot ‘less’ then it previously did in my eyes?

Hi FIGreenie, I am the opposite of you

Lange is a place of perdition, buy those that make you vibrate

lulu.jpg
pic of Amanico
Costa Rakaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 01:15 AM   #1803
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieKid View Post

Beautiful watch!

Thanks for the kind note!
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 05:49 AM   #1804
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Watch: my wrist candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
Been wearing this a lot recently:

Glad to see there are Lange owners out there who wear theirs regularly. Just wish the watch wasn't such a scratch magnet.

Waspy1 would you consider polishing your 1815 chrono down the track?

Gone but not forgotten: Rolex 116233 and 16570
RollieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:02 AM   #1805
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Glad to see there are Lange owners out there who wear theirs regularly. Just wish the watch wasn't such a scratch magnet.

Waspy1 would you consider polishing your 1815 chrono down the track?

I find it less of a scratch magnet than, say, my nautilus. I actually wear it regularly in pretty much any situation except when it would be under water. It has a lot of hairlines on the bezel and a couple small flat spots where it’s been dinged but none of it is particularly noticeable except under very close inspection.

I had it serviced last year and opted not to have it polished. I guess in the worst case, a new bezel could be fitted but to be honest, I’d have it all scuffed up pretty quickly anyway.

Old 7 March 2019, 12:06 PM   #1806
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
I find it less of a scratch magnet than, say, my nautilus. I actually wear it regularly in pretty much any situation except when it would be under water. It has a lot of hairlines on the bezel and a couple small flat spots where it’s been dinged but none of it is particularly noticeable except under very close inspection.

I had it serviced last year and opted not to have it polished. I guess in the worst case, a new bezel could be fitted but to be honest, I’d have it all scuffed up pretty quickly anyway.

Ahhh ok. May i ask how long it took to service? And did you wait till 3 years after ownership to have it serviced? Thanks.

Old 7 March 2019, 02:41 PM   #1807
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Ahhh ok. May i ask how long it took to service? And did you wait till 3 years after ownership to have it serviced? Thanks.

I think I was quoted 20 weeks for servicing but it took about 15. It was serviced about 2.5 years after I bought it but I bought it pre-owned. It was around 10 years old at this time and ALS had no record of it being serviced so I figured it was about time.

Old 12 March 2019, 07:08 PM   #1808
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Arghhh......first major scratch!

I knew it would eventually happen but I didn't want to believe it.

Scratched my AC on my braces today and left a long mark on the brushed side...

My heart just sank and now all I see is the damage when I look at the time

This is what I get for putting it in my daily rotation instead of leaving it for special occasions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture 27.JPG (42.8 KB, 1089 views)
File Type: jpg Capture 28.JPG (52.2 KB, 1082 views)

Old 13 March 2019, 01:12 AM   #1809
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is what I get for putting it in my daily rotation instead of leaving it for special occasions.

Sorry to hear dude...but honestly, you’re likely going to be the only one that notices or will ever see that scratch (in normal a normal setting). Not to suggest that it makes it better...

Additionally, I think it’s great to see that this watch is being worn in rotation...such a beautiful watch should be! I’d trade in a few minor cosmetic imperfections in return for the pleasure of actually wearing and enjoying watch any day!!!

jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 05:25 AM   #1810
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear dude...but honestly, you’re likely going to be the only one that notices or will ever see that scratch (in normal a normal setting). Not to suggest that it makes it better...

Additionally, I think it’s great to see that this watch is being worn in rotation...such a beautiful watch should be! I’d trade in a few minor cosmetic imperfections in return for the pleasure of actually wearing and enjoying watch any day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, guess the first one always hurts. But yes, i feel very fortunate to be able to wear such a beauty daily. Just have to be more wrist conscious. Now how about some pic of your Saxonia?

Old 18 March 2019, 12:47 AM   #1811
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Finally joined the club. If I could only have one watch for the rest of my life, this might be it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 982318F6-9584-4A54-BE86-BF40E7369A2B.jpeg (96.7 KB, 1034 views)
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2019, 12:48 AM   #1812
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbel View Post
Finally joined the club. If I could only have one watch for the rest of my life, this might be it.

Awesome and welcome to the club!

Old 19 March 2019, 09:28 AM   #1813
WatchinMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Saxonia Moonphase
Quote:
Great watch! Welcome to the club
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LangeMoon.jpg (188.1 KB, 957 views)
WatchinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 02:02 PM   #1814
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That’s what happens when you wear them. They will make it all new at service time (including laser welding if needed). Keep wearing and enjoying it. Now you don’t have to worry about it getting scratched. ;-)
Old 25 March 2019, 12:02 AM   #1815
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Anyone want to share pictures of their Saxonia Thin 37mm?
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:58 AM   #1816
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Back in the Fold

Through a massive vintage Rolex trade, I was able to get a Datograph Up/Down in platinum. There were almost as many moving parts in the deal as there are in the watch. Special thanks to DavidSW and a third party who will remain nameless.

I owned the first iteration a few years back but never warmed up to the Roman numerals. I ended up trading it in on a PP 3970. Now that I have one back on my wrist, I do not see how neglected the brand for so long. I recently re-watched one of Hodinkee’s videos with Charles Dufour where he said it’s the “best chronograph movement ever made.” Although my opinion does not remotely carry the same weight, I can only smile and agree.

David
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:29 PM   #1817
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfagan View Post
Through a massive vintage Rolex trade, I was able to get a Datograph Up/Down in platinum. There were almost as many moving parts in the deal as there are in the watch. Special thanks to DavidSW and a third party who will remain nameless.

I owned the first iteration a few years back but never warmed up to the Roman numerals. I ended up trading it in on a PP 3970. Now that I have one back on my wrist, I do not see how neglected the brand for so long. I recently re-watched one of Hodinkee’s videos with Charles Dufour where he said it’s the “best chronograph movement ever made.” Although my opinion does not remotely carry the same weight, I can only smile and agree.

David
Big congrats :)

Looking forward to some incoming pics!

Old 26 March 2019, 12:32 PM   #1818
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
That’s what happens when you wear them. They will make it all new at service time (including laser welding if needed). Keep wearing and enjoying it. Now you don’t have to worry about it getting scratched. ;-)
So true

Will continue to enjoy wearing this one

Old 26 March 2019, 12:33 PM   #1819
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:

David
Congrats, I had been eyeing the datao DavidSW had listed for a while but it was that dato or the new 25th anniversarry Lange 1 with the hunter back. I should have the first one in the US!
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:25 PM   #1820
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Through a massive vintage Rolex trade, I was able to get a Datograph Up/Down in platinum.

David

Congrats, David! A friend of mine just picked up the Dato Perpetual. Awesome watches.

Wear it in good health.
Old 30 March 2019, 04:09 PM   #1821
jed11
"TRF" Member

Old 2 April 2019, 01:25 PM   #1822
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats! That's an amazing watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchinMD View Post
Great watch! Welcome to the club
I don't have any watches with a moon phase and the ones on the Saxonia and Lange 1 are just beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post

I've never seen this in person before, but from the looks of it, it's surprisingly kind of sporty looking alongside being classy. If you change the strap to black, it could be even more sporty. I love it. How long have you had it?
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 02:32 PM   #1823
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptobphan View Post
Congrats! That's an amazing watch.

I don't have any watches with a moon phase and the ones on the Saxonia and Lange 1 are just beautiful.

I've never seen this in person before, but from the looks of it, it's surprisingly kind of sporty looking alongside being classy. If you change the strap to black, it could be even more sporty. I love it. How long have you had it?

Just for a few months...bought it earlier this year. Yeah, one of the reasons I went with it was because it does look “sporty”...to a certain degree of course
Don’t get me wrong, the moon phase on this ref is awesome but besides that I don’t really have a “practical” use for a moonphase and that it hiked up the price, the moonphase I feel dresses this watch up more. If that’s what you’re aiming for then yeah...but I was definitely wanted something a little less dressy.

Old 3 April 2019, 02:01 AM   #1824
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Just for a few months...bought it earlier this year. Yeah, one of the reasons I went with it was because it does look “sporty”...to a certain degree of course
Don’t get me wrong, the moon phase on this ref is awesome but besides that I don’t really have a “practical” use for a moonphase and that it hiked up the price, the moonphase I feel dresses this watch up more. If that’s what you’re aiming for then yeah...but I was definitely wanted something a little less dressy.

Either way, the Saxonia looks classical. But without the moon phase it can look sporty, which is nice. Try wearing it with gloves on while driving a car. =)

I've been daily wearing my Saxonia Thin for almost a year now. I would be happy if there were my last watch ever, but at the same time... because of this watch, I want another Lange watch... and seeing all of these pictures just doesn't help.
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 06:49 PM   #1825
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Thursdays
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture 29.JPG (56.2 KB, 681 views)

Old 5 April 2019, 02:54 PM   #1826
FlGreenie
Banned

Greetings. I’m asking for your opinions.... I’ve mostly been a Rolex guy and have a very nice collection . However, The A. Lang & Sohone brand has really caught my eye.
Can someone out there that is a true knowledgeable source weigh in on the Datograph and the Langematik Perpetual? Is either considered superior or busts, does one retain value more than the other? Any quirks about either? If you had to pick between them, which one would you chose and why. I would truly value and appreciate anyone’s opinions. Either is a considerable amount of money and I’d like to avoid making a mistake. I paid for a ‘tuition’ when first starting to buy Rolex watches. The learning curve cost me a few, but luckily over time I’m on the plus side. I’d like to try and avoid that cost of ‘tuition’ here. Any and all opinions and comments welcome. I thank you all.

FlGreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 04:17 PM   #1827
vlps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Greetings. I’m asking for your opinions.... I’ve mostly been a Rolex guy and have a very nice collection . However, The A. Lang & Sohone brand has really caught my eye.
Can someone out there that is a true knowledgeable source weigh in on the Datograph and the Langematik Perpetual? Is either considered superior or busts, does one retain value more than the other? Any quirks about either? If you had to pick between them, which one would you chose and why. I would truly value and appreciate anyone’s opinions. Either is a considerable amount of money and I’d like to avoid making a mistake. I paid for a ‘tuition’ when first starting to buy Rolex watches. The learning curve cost me a few, but luckily over time I’m on the plus side. I’d like to try and avoid that cost of ‘tuition’ here. Any and all opinions and comments welcome. I thank you all.

The Datograph and the Datograph Perpetual Calendar derivatives, are the most iconic Lange watches in the collection. While they take a hit from their MSRP on the secondary market, if you buy them pre-owned they are incredible value compared to Patek Perpetual Chronos and they hold up pretty well at their secondary price level. The Langematik Perpetual will probably be harder to pass along if you decide to not hold onto it in the future and its more of a niche watch within the overall Lange collection.
vlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 06:28 PM   #1828
FlGreenie
Banned

VLPS

I really appreciate the response. And I did notice the large difference between MSRP and preowned. If you were purchasing a Datograph or Datograph perpetual, which model would it be, and why?

FlGreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 07:05 PM   #1829
Gibraltar
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Have you tried on both watches? The Datograph is a bit on the thick side for a 'dress' watch so you should get it on your wrist to make sure you like the feel.

Personally I think the Datograph works very well in both formal and casual situations, so the size is not really an issue. The Langematic is a decidedly dressy watch, and will slide very nicely under a cuff.

As vlps mentioned, the Datograph is iconic and contains what is widely considered the finest chronograph movement in production today. You'll have a hard time matching the view from the back at anywhere near the price.

I personally also love the Langematic Perpetual. The combination of a perpetual calendar with the big date and an automatic movement is unique, and very appealing. It also has a beautiful and unique movement with the 3/4 size rotor.

I understand this watch is no longer in the catalog, aside from the current limited honey gold model.

Of course Lange also kindly provides a solution where you don't have to choose :)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DatoBack.jpg (228.5 KB, 683 views)
File Type: jpg DatoFront.jpg (183.2 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg DatoPFront.jpg (289.1 KB, 683 views)
File Type: jpg LangematciBack.jpg (282.6 KB, 681 views)
File Type: jpg LangematicFront.jpg (209.8 KB, 676 views)
Gibraltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 08:52 PM   #1830
vlps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
VLPS

I really appreciate the response. And I did notice the large difference between MSRP and preowned. If you were purchasing a Datograph or Datograph perpetual, which model would it be, and why?

I personally own the original 39mm Datograph in platinum, less so because I am a purist that needs the original and moreso because of the size of the watch being just perfect for my 6.5 inch wrist. The 41mm Up/down and 41.5mm perpetuals are personally pushing the limits for my wrist so they aren't really feasible. Design/complication wise my favorite would probably be the all black Perpetual Tourbillion Datograph, but I believe its $250k and simply out of my price range.
vlps is offline   Reply With Quote