The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 March 2019, 05:13 PM   #1
JonnyH83
"TRF" Member

H. Moser & Cie - general thoughts

Morning all,

I hope everyone is well.

I am in the market for a relatively low key dress watch. I have been looking at a few different makes but I seem to be drawn to H. Moser & Cie. I quite like the exclusivity of the company and I can honestly say that I have never seen one in the wild.

However I don't know too much about them so I wanted to get your thoughts. Any owners on here? Are the watches well made and 'worth the money'?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jon
JonnyH83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:03 PM   #2
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I think they're great watches and I love the fact that they are low key. My Pioneer is literally the only thing i wear these days. The watches are definitely well made and worth the money IMO. I think resale on the pioneer and models with a concept dial is quite strong as production is limited, for the perpetual calendars probably not as strong. I haven't seen another Moser in the wild either.

Pictures really do not do justice to their dials, they have to be seen in person. There is something about the discretion and the attention to quality that I admire. It's your watch for you. It's helped me realize that my taste has matured.

I've met Edouard Melyan the CEO and he's a gem of a guy. The service is fantastic and they really treat you like a valued customer and I sincerely appreciate that.

Wish you the best of luck on your purchase!
Old 26 March 2019, 07:34 PM   #3
PJ S
Banned

The 1000-1100 watches produced annually are very well made, but worth is purely an individual decision.
Spend time searching the forum, you’ll soon come up with a number of threads discussing the brand.
You’ll also find more to help with your own judgement on value for the money on Watchuseek and PuristsPro, and TZ-UK.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 08:32 PM   #4
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Personally, I think they present great value for money. Exquisite movement and finishing. The cases are well sculpted. The dials (if fume is your thing) are very explosive and dynamic. They are one of the only fully integrated watch manufacturers, and produce every part in-house, even the hair spring (which they provide to high horology houses like MB&F).

The one thing I'd caveat is, for a low key dress watch, I'd be careful of the dial choice. Some of the colors are very much vibrant and not low key at all. So, I'd probably suggest sticking to their brown dials or the new "vantablack" models.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 11:42 PM   #5
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

H. Moser & Cie - general thoughts

I haven’t owned a Moser, but I’ve been following them closely. One thing I’ll say is that their prices are very competitive, compare to other independent manufactures. They may not have the best movt finishing; however their minimalist design in displaying perpetual calendar is interesting.
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 04:17 AM   #6
JonnyH83
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your comments so far.

Whilst I haven't seen any in person yet, purely from photographs I appear to have a soft spot for the following pieces:

- Venturer Small Seconds white dial blue hands manual wind

- Pioneer Centre Seconds blue dial automatic (although this could be a little on the sporty side for what I am looking for.

- Endeavour Small Seconds manual wind silver/grey dial

Hoping to get down to a stockist at some point to try them on (if of course they have any of them available)

I will report back with my verdicts:)

Regards,
Jon
Old 27 March 2019, 01:24 PM   #7
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

I am currently waiting on my Endeavour Center Seconds Blue Funky dial in WG. You may want to check that watch too.

One caveat about Venturer series is that there is a lot of reflection of the glass, Hodinkee mentioned it in their article and I experienced it firsthand. Pioneer seems to be a crowd favorite but it was too big for my 6.5~ inch wrist.

I really rate Moser highly. To me, they are just a notch below Journe. The case finishing is really good. The movement finishing is par for the price but could be improved. However, like Journe, they are very exclusive and on the upward trend. I wish they did more than fume dials as it would add another dimension to the brand. My 3 favorite independents, ones that I can afford, and their sweet spots are below

Around $5-$8k - Habring2
Between $10k -$40k - Moser
Between $30k- $50k - Journe (CB is priced at $25k but is really difficult to get nowadays)
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 01:39 PM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
In general I Prefer sharper lines on the case and style.

Pics would help
Old 29 March 2019, 04:11 AM   #9
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Like speedmaster said, check out their new and exclusive (I’m almost positive nobody else has ever tried using this material on a dial) vantablack dial. It absorbs something like 99.7% of all light. It’s crazy black hole type of dial and on the dressier side compared to the Pioneer models. If you have a larger wrist the gold Pioneers with a black or white dial can be pulled off as a casual and dress watch with a quick strap change. The matte black gator strap is very nice for either since it’s not shiny. Then can also use the rubber strap if worried about sweat or moisture.

I have the matte strap but in a conundrum about it. There is a new deployant clasp out and I haven’t purchased the pin buckle for my strap. The pin buckle quote I got was like $350 and the deployant is like $800 but the straps are also expensive so just don’t know which way I want to go yet. I really want to put the matte gator on my Rotating Bezel so may just go ahead and spend the $350 for the buckle even though I’d rather build a strap collection with all deployant straps just for the piece of mind when putting on and taking off the watch. They are far more safe and I even sold my Grey Side of the Moon because Omega was having issues producing the ceramic deployant for a long time back when I owned it. Now that they are out with the deployant I will be purchasing again lol. Rant over. Sorry.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:24 AM   #10
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Not trying to hijack but if anyone can source me a pre-owned or discounted pin buckle I would greatly appreciate it?!

Bests
Alex
Old 29 March 2019, 05:01 AM   #11
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Is that deployment clasp in WG?

Old 29 March 2019, 05:50 AM   #12
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Steel. If was white gold I would have bought it at that price.
Old 29 March 2019, 05:52 AM   #13
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I guess it could be Ti but am guessing steel since it’s for the pioneer.
Old 29 March 2019, 05:57 AM   #14
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Oh and I put $350 for pin buckle earlier on accident. My quote was $525 that’s why was hard for me to make up my mind what to do since I have the $350 matte strap already. I feel that should just buy a cheap pin buckle and get the deployant and some different colored straps made for it before spending $1400 on steel clasps that will need another $1000 in straps lol.
Old 29 March 2019, 06:03 AM   #15
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Just got confirmation. It is Stainless Steel and $850.
Old 29 March 2019, 07:15 AM   #16
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
Just got confirmation. It is Stainless Steel and $850.
Hmmm. For steel, that's kind of a steep price. But I do want one for my endeavour (especially if I switch out the Kudu strap for gator).

Old 29 March 2019, 07:40 AM   #17
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

FYI, Ed Meylan interviewed by CNN today:

https://www.cnnmoney.ch/shows/execut...watch-industry

Old 29 March 2019, 10:20 AM   #18
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
Like speedmaster said, check out their new and exclusive (I’m almost positive nobody else has ever tried using this material on a dial) vantablack dial.

Moser were second, a few years behind MCT.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 03:31 AM   #19
ferdinand07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyH83 View Post
Thank you for your comments so far.

Whilst I haven't seen any in person yet, purely from photographs I appear to have a soft spot for the following pieces:

- Venturer Small Seconds white dial blue hands manual wind

- Pioneer Centre Seconds blue dial automatic (although this could be a little on the sporty side for what I am looking for.

- Endeavour Small Seconds manual wind silver/grey dial

Hoping to get down to a stockist at some point to try them on (if of course they have any of them available)

I will report back with my verdicts:)

Regards,
Jon
I own the wg Venturer small seconds white dial, bought it about 8 months ago. I was drawn into their story and philosophy as well as the discreet quality of the watch and how simple, vintage-like, and timeless looking it is. Oh, and also because they gave me Moser wall clock for free :) - boutique soft opening in Jakarta. That was the time I started to become more particular in selecting my next watches, looking into movement finishing et al, which for Moser, I'd like to think they machined-hand finished. The anglage was not as detailed finished as my Blancpain Milspec under loupe, for example. But they do have a nice looking movement overall, and for the price you get a wg timeless looking with with all their original character, plus a discreet power reserve indicator, I definitely think it is worth it. Also the fact they created almost everything themselves was what made me sold.

However, if you ever thought of re-selling the watch down the road, you prolly will have some tough time dealing with the fact that the watch is not as you'd value. I sold my SD4k to make room for the Moser, ended up trying to sell my Moser 6 months after because I missed that SD4k too much. A dealer asked me 1/4 of the price I paid retail, some wouldn't even bother asking (they have some Pioneers sitting on the store display for a year, even willing to sell below what they paid).

So yea, I decided to keep the watch and re-purchased a NOS SD4k, knowing that my Moser is a value to myself - it won't be as liquid as Rolex for sure, but if you are set into the piece, it will be worth it.

The Moser hasn't got much of my wrist time nowadays, but it gives me very different vibes and charm everything I put her on. Decided I won't let her go, ever :)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Grand Seiko SBGM023 - Black 116520 - 116600 - Moser & Cie Venturer white dial - Blancpain tribute to Milspec - JLC Reverso Medium Duoface - BB58
ferdinand07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 04:27 AM   #20
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I love those watches and the company.

Here is some info about my one.

Click here to find out.

And here is our visit at the Moser company.

Click here to find out

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 06:20 AM   #21
JonnyH83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdinand07 View Post
I own the wg Venturer small seconds white dial, bought it about 8 months ago. I was drawn into their story and philosophy as well as the discreet quality of the watch and how simple, vintage-like, and timeless looking it is. Oh, and also because they gave me Moser wall clock for free :) - boutique soft opening in Jakarta. That was the time I started to become more particular in selecting my next watches, looking into movement finishing et al, which for Moser, I'd like to think they machined-hand finished. The anglage was not as detailed finished as my Blancpain Milspec under loupe, for example. But they do have a nice looking movement overall, and for the price you get a wg timeless looking with with all their original character, plus a discreet power reserve indicator, I definitely think it is worth it. Also the fact they created almost everything themselves was what made me sold.

However, if you ever thought of re-selling the watch down the road, you prolly will have some tough time dealing with the fact that the watch is not as you'd value. I sold my SD4k to make room for the Moser, ended up trying to sell my Moser 6 months after because I missed that SD4k too much. A dealer asked me 1/4 of the price I paid retail, some wouldn't even bother asking (they have some Pioneers sitting on the store display for a year, even willing to sell below what they paid).

So yea, I decided to keep the watch and re-purchased a NOS SD4k, knowing that my Moser is a value to myself - it won't be as liquid as Rolex for sure, but if you are set into the piece, it will be worth it.

The Moser hasn't got much of my wrist time nowadays, but it gives me very different vibes and charm everything I put her on. Decided I won't let her go, ever :)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Grand Seiko SBGM023 - Black 116520 - 116600 - Moser & Cie Venturer white dial - Blancpain tribute to Milspec - JLC Reverso Medium Duoface - BB58

Thank you for your input. Always nice to get feedback from someone who owns one of the timepieces of interest.

I have pulled the trigger and put a deposit on the Venturer WG white dial small seconds. I fell in love with the simplicity but yet timeless look of it also.

I am fully aware about the re-sale value but to be completely honest - that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I love the watch and will not be getting rid of it.

Will put up some pics once I get her!
Old 4 April 2019, 07:05 AM   #22
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyH83 View Post
Thank you for your input. Always nice to get feedback from someone who owns one of the timepieces of interest.

I have pulled the trigger and put a deposit on the Venturer WG white dial small seconds. I fell in love with the simplicity but yet timeless look of it also.

I am fully aware about the re-sale value but to be completely honest - that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I love the watch and will not be getting rid of it.

Will put up some pics once I get her!
Nice, glad you went with what spoke to you. Too many people on this forum buy with fear of resale value. Honestly, nowadays, everything that isn't a SS Rolex, Patek or AP can get crushed. Don't worry about resale, buy what you like and you will be happy.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Old 4 April 2019, 10:18 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Beautiful watches but I have never seen one nor an AD
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 12:17 AM   #24
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
The company is a bit interesting. It had Swiss DNA with roots in Russian Empire and was present in the early days of the USSR. However, the current iteration of the firm is basically a marketing attempt to play on the old name, so romance kinda ends for me there. Speaking of the watches, though, I like them.

Had a chance to buy a few at Frankfurt International. Very good pricing and for me it would have been a keeper, so I did not care about the resale. Finishing seemed to be okay, but it is not Lange. I'd say that for the money, an 18K specimen would have been an awesome buy. Looked at a few, but decided to wait.
Old 5 April 2019, 12:53 AM   #25
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
The company is a bit interesting. It had Swiss DNA with roots in Russian Empire and was present in the early days of the USSR. However, the current iteration of the firm is basically a marketing attempt to play on the old name, so romance kinda ends for me there. Speaking of the watches, though, I like them.

Had a chance to buy a few at Frankfurt International. Very good pricing and for me it would have been a keeper, so I did not care about the resale. Finishing seemed to be okay, but it is not Lange. I'd say that for the money, an 18K specimen would have been an awesome buy. Looked at a few, but decided to wait.
Eh, there are plenty of high end European watch companies that have had their history broken by WWII, the quartz era, and M&A. Breguet is a prime example. Lange has a broken history as well.

Agreed that their movement finishing isn't on ALS' level, but then again, nobody is. I will say though, that it irks me to see certain Saxonia models where the movement isn't sized for the case (an issue I don't encounter with Moser).

Old 5 April 2019, 07:28 AM   #26
bharat
"TRF" Member

You can buy Moser watches at Shreve, Crump and Low I’m BOSTON. That’s where I bought my Concept Blue Lagoon.
bharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 08:08 AM   #27
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat View Post
You can buy Moser watches at Shreve, Crump and Low I’m BOSTON. That’s where I bought my Concept Blue Lagoon.
I actually bought mine from their Greenwich, CT location.

Old 5 April 2019, 09:17 AM   #28
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

I am also dealing with Shreve, Crump and Low at their Boston Location. Brian has been really good to deal with. I am waiting for a replacement of Endeavor Center Seconds Blue Fume Dial, the exact watch bought by speedmaster, since mine arrived with few scratches and a missing screw.

I think for the price, H Moser offers a really good independent option. Their movements are certainly not finished to Lange level but are still good finishing for the price. The fume dials are really beautiful and different. H Moser allows you to get a high-end independent watch below $20K and thus offer good value. If you are thinking of having a small collection of high-end watches, then Lange, VC, and Patek are safe bets. If a larger collection of 5-7 watches, I feel you should have both Journe and Moser in your collection.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 11:11 PM   #29
bharat
"TRF" Member

Yes I have met and chatted with Brian. Dealt the most with Brad. He’s a good guy and knows his stuff. Boston has some impressive dealerships and collections all within a half square mile on Newbury/Boylston streets. In my opinion, if Moser doesn’t ramp up volumes they should start appreciating in price or at least holding their value well over time.
bharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 03:35 AM   #30
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Another +1 for Moser from Shreve, Crump and Low at their Boston Location. Working with the sales rep myself... Have to make a few decisions.