The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 December 2018, 06:07 AM   #121
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
And you need to be very very careful as they are very easily stripped.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 06:43 AM   #122
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
And you need to be very very careful as they are very easily stripped.

Thanks! Btw any youtube tutorial?! Haha I can’t find any though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 09:33 AM   #123
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialienam View Post
Thanks! Btw any youtube tutorial?! Haha I can’t find any though

None online, but if you want PM me & I'll send a video of mine & how it works.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 10:30 AM   #124
lostanfound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialienam View Post
FYI, bought my first Blancpain, Mil spec from Shanghai Boutique! Well... not with me yet, I will collect it toward end of this year.

Anyway due tax refund, it will be around USD $14000, with 4 years warranty and first service is free (but have to return to Shanghai and the last 2 years warranted by Shanghai boutqiue too)

That’s why I pull the triggered after all, even though Blancpain May likely launch a normal 40mm FF next year (from what I been told by different people). But I feel it’s a limited edition with great history.

Anyway from my recent experience, mil spec is likely still available, but been fully distributed. If your AD/boutique stores it, and u like it, u better buy it.

With the 50 Fathoms 45mm, do you think a free service be possible if buying from grey dealer
lostanfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 01:42 PM   #125
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

The Blancpain FF MilSpec is very high on my "first big boy watch" list- I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. But around the same time I discovered the JLC Memovox Tribute to Deep Sea and fell in love with it as well- maybe even a bit more than w/ the FF. I adore the aesthetic of both pieces, but the JLC is especially sleek and stealthy- like a black panther. How do the two pieces compare? Also, what's retail for the FF MilSpec? I know the JLC hasn't been made in years, so I'd be left to finding a used/nos one.
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 03:46 PM   #126
wisguy
"TRF" Member

If only they made it in 40mm or 42mm...

45mm is too large for me.
Old 5 January 2019, 05:29 PM   #127
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
The Blancpain FF MilSpec is very high on my "first big boy watch" list- I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. But around the same time I discovered the JLC Memovox Tribute to Deep Sea and fell in love with it as well- maybe even a bit more than w/ the FF. I adore the aesthetic of both pieces, but the JLC is especially sleek and stealthy- like a black panther. How do the two pieces compare? Also, what's retail for the FF MilSpec? I know the JLC hasn't been made in years, so I'd be left to finding a used/nos one.

I don’t have JLC Memovox, so I can’t really give u any feedback. Just my recent weeks with mil spec, it’s been great. The strap is very comfortable and it’s the history behind it.

Also, I think Mil spec is sold out too, so u might need to try your luck with Chrono24. I rem WatchBox was selling it not long ago above retail

Again I think someone said a new mil spec was found months ago in Europe

Old 5 January 2019, 11:50 PM   #128
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
The Milspec retails for $14,100 (though I very much doubt you can still source one from a Boutique).

In comparing the two, the Milspec wears much smaller than the JLC, due to its compact lugs (it wears more like a 38mm than 40mm). I find the Milspec to be of slightly higher quality and finishing; it feels like a higher-end luxury timepiece. Legibility is slightly better with the Milspec. The date window is a function the JLC doesn’t have (if a date complication matters to you). Also, I do believe the Milspec has a longer power reserve. Historically, the Milspec is of greater significance than the deep sea alarm and Blancpain only made 500 examples of the tribute, as opposed to >1,100 for JLC (if you count both Euro and US dial variants).

For me, the JLC tribute to DSA has the better styling of the two. The use of plexiglass instead of sapphire gives the JLC a great warmth and retro feel. If you go for the Euro-dialed version (which I have) the dial is much cleaner and devoid of unnecessary text cluttering things. The alarm function, while not the most useful, is extremely unique and is always fun to play with and show people. It’s also slightly thinner and sits better on the wrist than the milspec.

Honestly, both are fantastic watches and you really can’t go wrong.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:41 AM   #129
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

I love the fifty fathoms but not at the current size. The mil spec is the only version I would consider. There is one for sale on the forums here $13.5k

I would go with the Jaeger deep sea alarm for less money and hold out for a non limited 40mm FF model

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 07:39 AM   #130
chrissimons
"TRF" Member

You could wait a while, it seems that they only do the 40mm for limited editions for the moment.
chrissimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 10:45 AM   #131
Avav1
"TRF" Member

definitely check them out at an AD. I was gunning for a mil spec, then tried it on.
It just felt very "soft". The bezel material and rounded edges did not suit my eye.
just my $0.02
Avav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 10:59 AM   #132
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
I have a 6.75 inch wrist, so on the small size and I still wear a Fifty Fathoms. I actually owned the Mil Spec but ended up selling it. A few things about it bothered me. The ratio of case/bezel height to the overall diameter of the watch made it look bloated, small and tall. The regular fifty fathoms while being a large watch the proportions are better. Also the hands on the Mil Spec are so basic and boring. They add nothing to the design. I understand why BP used them but I grew to dislike them. Same with the hour markers. I prefer the regular FF markers on the dial. Lastly the moisture sticker looks like a cheap sticker and therefore gimmicky. If anyone ever see me trying to sell my FF you have my permission to smack me.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:23 PM   #133
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Redbulls View Post
I have a 6.75 inch wrist, so on the small size and I still wear a Fifty Fathoms. I actually owned the Mil Spec but ended up selling it. A few things about it bothered me. The ratio of case/bezel height to the overall diameter of the watch made it look bloated, small and tall. The regular fifty fathoms while being a large watch the proportions are better. Also the hands on the Mil Spec are so basic and boring. They add nothing to the design. I understand why BP used them but I grew to dislike them. Same with the hour markers. I prefer the regular FF markers on the dial. Lastly the moisture sticker looks like a cheap sticker and therefore gimmicky. If anyone ever see me trying to sell my FF you have my permission to smack me.

As an owner of mil spec for a couple of months, I do agree with your comment! It’s a bit on the boring side and I certainly prefer a regular FF hands and markers more. Unfortunately my wrist is smaller at around 6inch. As for now, Mil Spec movement, accuracy and finishing quality is just outstanding!

Will I keep it for now? For sure. I might sell it later, but I don’t know how much hit I can expect, I have find Blancpain is really for a nich market.

Old 22 January 2019, 02:36 PM   #134
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Thoughts on Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

I have been doing some reading on Blancpain for a while now, and I should say the Fifty Fathoms has been appealing to me a lot. So much so I think I might be adding a FF to my collection soon.

I also have to add the 40mm Ocean Commitment III looks fabulous. But then it is a 250 LE piece, so getting new from AD may be out of the question.

The Milspec is also very cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22 January 2019, 11:02 PM   #135
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
I have been doing some reading on Blancpain for a while now, and I should say the Fifty Fathoms has been appealing to me a lot. So much so I think I might be adding a FF to my collection soon.

I also have to add the 40mm Ocean Commitment III looks fabulous. But then it is a 250 LE piece, so getting new from AD may be out of the question.

I got my milspec from a boutique in NYC about 4-5 months ago. If that's any indication of Blancpain's slow/steady release process, you should still be able to find a BOCiii .

Old 23 January 2019, 12:45 AM   #136
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I got my milspec from a boutique in NYC about 4-5 months ago. If that's any indication of Blancpain's slow/steady release process, you should still be able to find a BOCiii .
I posted on here a few months back that my AD had one available for a healthy discount (40mm OCIII) but nobody showed any interest. It’s long gone now but I was surprised nobody was interested. I think maybe the insane price tag BP has put on them turns people off. It’s AP money.
Old 23 January 2019, 12:54 AM   #137
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I posted on here a few months back that my AD had one available for a healthy discount (40mm OCIII) but nobody showed any interest. It’s long gone now but I was surprised nobody was interested. I think maybe the insane price tag BP has put on them turns people off. It’s AP money.
Wish I had seen this thread few months back. Oh well.
Honestly, I don't have interest in any of the the AP models or the direction they are going.
Old 23 January 2019, 12:56 AM   #138
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. I have turned on my radar probe.
I might also be interested in the older BP FF models.
Old 23 January 2019, 01:44 AM   #139
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I really like my FF but would like it more if it was in a 42mm size. Even though it does wear small for a larger watch, it still wears large, and imo a 44+mm watch should have a 24mm strap, not a 23mm.

TSG always seems to want to under-strap their watches and under-pad their straps, they always to me seem to be 1mm too narrow and too thin, which makes the heads look a bit oversized. I ended up adding an aftermarket to mine because the sailcloth's narrow width/short padding make the watch look like it's all head, which makes it look unbalanced.

Hope that at some point they bring it out in a 42-3 mm size with a better-balanced strap, other than this it is amazing.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 03:01 AM   #140
Soarer
"TRF" Member

I love the pictures posted by "ceramic1". Very enabling pictures of a beautiful piece - Milspec. I hope he will find time to post more pictures, esp. on the NATO, and Hirsch sailcloth straps.
Old 23 January 2019, 04:24 AM   #141
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Interesting. The Milspec was a boutique only release I think. That must have been a trade-in.

I do think the price is a little high. But to me, Blancpain are almost on the level of AP. Their movement calibers and finishings are certainly on par. Granted, they don't have the cache of AP, but I think that's part of the charm for me.

My only gripe about the milspec is the case engraving on the side. They should have kept it simple and true to their roots. Otherwise, I think the movement and build quality are top notch.

Old 23 January 2019, 04:24 AM   #142
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting. The Milspec was a boutique only release I think. That must have been a trade-in.

I do think the price is a little high. But to me, Blancpain are almost on the level of AP. Their movement calibers and finishings are certainly on par. Granted, they don't have the cache of AP, but I think that's part of the charm for me.

My only gripe about the milspec is the case engraving on the side. They should have kept it simple and true to their roots. Otherwise, I think the movement and build quality are top notch.
It wasn't boutique only, our AD got 3.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 04:27 AM   #143
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
I really like my FF but would like it more if it was in a 42mm size. Even though it does wear small for a larger watch, it still wears large, and imo a 44+mm watch should have a 24mm strap, not a 23mm.

TSG always seems to want to under-strap their watches and under-pad their straps, they always to me seem to be 1mm too narrow and too thin, which makes the heads look a bit oversized. I ended up adding an aftermarket to mine because the sailcloth's narrow width/short padding make the watch look like it's all head, which makes it look unbalanced.

Hope that at some point they bring it out in a 42-3 mm size with a better-balanced strap, other than this it is amazing.
BP certainly are shooting themselves in the foot by only producing smaller FF in limited runs. They really should bring on a 42mm as a standard, non limited Ff. The FF wears small and a 42mm would be perfect for most ppl.

Old 23 January 2019, 04:57 AM   #144
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Tried an OC a few days ago, so they’re still out there. I passed on the watch because I felt the proportions were off - would probably look a lot better in 42mm

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 05:23 AM   #145
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCharlotte View Post
It wasn't boutique only, our AD got 3.
I stand corrected. Always thought the milspec and OC were boutique only, given the limited production run.

Old 23 January 2019, 05:25 AM   #146
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
BP certainly are shooting themselves in the foot by only producing smaller FF in limited runs. They really should bring on a 42mm as a standard, non limited Ff. The FF wears small and a 42mm would be perfect for most ppl.
Or a 40mm option. I think 40mm is the sweet-spot for most people.
I definitely will go for 40mm.
Old 23 January 2019, 05:28 AM   #147
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
Tried an OC a few days ago, so they’re still out there. I passed on the watch because I felt the proportions were off - would probably look a lot better in 42mm

Thanks. It looks amazing. Sorry it didn't work for you.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:32 AM   #148
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or a 40mm option. I think 40mm is the sweet-spot for most people.
I definitely will go for 40mm.
Normally, I'd agree as I have relatively small wrists. But the 40mm FF (milspec, BOCiii) wears pretty small. If you are coming from a sub or speedmaster for instance, you would likely think it was a 38mm. I'd be afraid, given the recent trend for larger sport watches, that the average person would think the 40mm FF wore too small.

Old 23 January 2019, 06:32 AM   #149
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. It looks amazing. Sorry it didn't work for you.
+1. Looks fantastic.

Old 23 January 2019, 07:58 AM   #150
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Normally, I'd agree as I have relatively small wrists. But the 40mm FF (milspec, BOCiii) wears pretty small. If you are coming from a sub or speedmaster for instance, you would likely think it was a 38mm. I'd be afraid, given the recent trend for larger sport watches, that the average person would think the 40mm FF wore too small.
Yes, I think you might have a good point there. I have not personally handled the 40mm Milspec and BOCIII yet, so I have to reserve judgement till I see one in the metal.

Last week, while browsing on the FF across other forums and blogs, I came across a nice 40mm FF Trilogy with complete set and papers.
And since I have been bitten by the FF bug, I went on to read this nice article on the Trilogy. https://www.fratellowatches.com/you-...of-the-family/

It piqued my interest even further so I made an offer to purchase it and was accepted.
And I will be picking it up this weekend if the weather here holds up.

So looks like the 40mm FF Trilogy piece is going to be my first foray into the Blancpain FF club.

I sure hope I made the right decision here, as I think it will give me the opportunity to try out the 40mm size, and at the same time wait to see what comes out in Basel 2019.