The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 March 2019, 05:00 AM   #1
sirC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Rolex Caliber 3235 movement question

Can someone tell me the correct balance amplitude for the 3235 when the watch is fully wound?
I assume somewhere in the 270-310 degree range depending on how the watch is positioned. I searched a fair bit and can't find anything.

TIA
sirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 08:19 AM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

There is no such thing as ‘correct amplitude’. There is a maximum for fully wound and a minimum for 24hrs though.

As long as the amplitude stays between these tolerances it’s ‘correct’
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 08:38 AM   #3
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

Further you won’t get an accurate amplitude reading by merely putting it on a timing machine that accurately defaults to properly measuring other Rolex watches. The lift angle is higher.
mnbookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirC View Post
I assume somewhere in the 270-310 degree range depending on how the watch is positioned.
Caliber 3235 does not have the characteristics of the caliber 3135. The amplitude of the caliber 3235 less.

Cal. 3235:

Lift angle - 52
Amplitude at full wind -- 260_270 max

The mechanism is checked after 24 hours. The amplitude must not be less than 210. Accuracy on the second day -- -3/+5 s/d.
Old 11 March 2019, 08:00 PM   #5
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigan View Post
Caliber 3235 does not have the characteristics of the caliber 3135. The amplitude of the caliber 3235 less.

Cal. 3235:

Lift angle - 52
Amplitude at full wind -- 260_270 max

The mechanism is checked after 24 hours. The amplitude must not be less than 210. Accuracy on the second day -- -3/+5 s/d.

That is absolutely incorrect. 32xx life angle is not 52°.
Old 12 March 2019, 01:46 AM   #6
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
Thanks!
Sorry. I specified. Really - 55°.

Checked the clock when the lift angle 55, the amplitude was 290 (full wound).
Old 12 March 2019, 01:48 AM   #7
sirC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbookman View Post
That is absolutely incorrect. 32xx life angle is not 52°.
What is it then?
Old 12 March 2019, 02:50 AM   #8
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

See above.
Old 12 March 2019, 05:02 AM   #9
sirC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigan View Post
Thanks!
Sorry. I specified. Really - 55°.

Checked the clock when the lift angle 55, the amplitude was 290 (full wound).
Thanks Kigan
Much appreciated
Old 13 March 2019, 10:50 AM   #10
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR

My SD43 is running a lower amplitude than any of my other new(er) Rolex watches.
I hardly get 280 fully wound.I was told the new moment has an issue with the seconds wheel
TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 11:25 PM   #11
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchEnthusiast View Post
My SD43 is running a lower amplitude than any of my other new(er) Rolex watches.
I hardly get 280 fully wound.I was told the new moment has an issue with the seconds wheel
Why do you need more than 280°?

The chronergy escapement claims an efficiency gain of 15% over the Swiss lever in the 3135. A more efficient escapement requires less amplitude to do the same work. The Omega coaxial (designed for mechanical efficiency) runs perfectly with 240° on some versions.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 12:04 AM   #12
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I believe it was me who mentioned the issue with the seconds wheel. Whilst this can be an issue in the new 32xx family of calibers, there is no reason to assume your watch has this issue. I suggest you wear your watch, enjoy it and put the timing machine where it belongs, safely in the hands of the watchmaker. I had an old boss who said it best, 'A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 12:07 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
I believe it was me who mentioned the issue with the seconds wheel. Whilst this can be an issue in the new 32xx family of calibers, there is no reason to assume your watch has this issue. I suggest you wear your watch, enjoy it and put the timing machine where it belongs, safely in the hands of the watchmaker. I had an old boss who said it best, 'A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'.
Have to agree phone apps, timing machines, and loupes can be a Rolex owners worst enemy.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 03:15 AM   #14
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I had an old boss who said it best, 'A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'.

Can be very true especially by the OCD-ish among us. But I’ll offer one idea taken from medicine...

We all should monitor our weight a few times per month. And our Blood Pressure at least weekly. We should periodically look for unusual moles on our skin that change shape.

We don’t need a medical degree, it is just the elementary monitoring that could point to a developing problem.

So a little bit of knowledge can be helpful when used with moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree phone apps, timing machines, and loupes can be a Rolex owners worst enemy.
It isn’t the machines, apps or loupes which are the enemy. It is the user who over reacts.

Wouldn’t you agree that using a timing app is as easy as using a scale to weigh yourself? Any unexplained, increasingly inaccurate results should be taken into account. Don’t need a MD to do this.

At home timing machines are rare, but those who read the instructions might look increasingly to the results if readings are wildly variable. No different than the correct process for taking accurate Blood Pressure readings at home. Again don’t need to be a cardiologist to monitor yourself.

A loupe might let you know whether your bracelet or clasp or watch is full of crud and ready for a cleaning. Or inspect the dial after a service for damage. Not any different than watching for changes in moles methinks - maybe even needing a magnifying glass for a closer look.

- - - - -

In closing, asking a decent question and being “watchful” isn’t a problem. Gaining knowledge in Watch Tech is why this section exists. Of course, over reaction to a minor thing is poor form on both sides:
the newbie’s and the watchpro’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 03:33 AM   #15
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
Quote:

Ashton One more time thank you for your the info. I am not saying that 280 ( face up fully wound ) is or isn’t a problem. I am comparing it with my 3135 Caliber watches have over 300 when new. Also the drop at the crown up position drops dramatically to 236 ( fully wound). That is also different than my other watches. If you remember at my post I claimed total ignorance on the subject. I still do. But my way of enjoying any hobby I’m involved is to learn a little every day. I am lurking this forum because I would love to know a little. I don’t want to be the watchmaker but I would like one day to understand a bit more about how things work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 08:14 PM   #16
Jimihendrix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Dethroning the king?

What do you think about the conclusion part of the article from Ashton Tracy
Thank you for the perfect article
I am still in dilemma :)

Conclusion
Now we’re in overtime: it’s 2 – 2. So, after examining in some depth the two calibres, who comes out on top? There is no denying the 3235 is a beautiful, aesthetically pleasing piece of horology. Rolex have done well and should be proud. Anyone purchasing a watch equipped with said movement will have made a wise choice and they can be proud of the motor under the bonnet. The advances in the 3235 are in line with the horological landscape today, which makes use of modern manufacturing techniques to achieve advances in escapement engineering, materials that are lighter, more anti-magnetic and more efficient. But where does it stand next to its big brother? Is he faster, stronger, more intelligent and better looking? Well, he is better looking. I would even say he’s faster, but when it comes to strength and intelligence the 3135 takes it every time. Even though the score was 2 – 2, in my opinion the 3135 still comes out on top. It’s long-lasting, it’s proven and it can be repaired for decades to come even if parts supply is discontinued. It doesn’t require excessive replacement of costly parts, which makes it watchmaker- friendly and customer-friendly.
The 3235 is a great movement, there is no denying that. But its speed and looks can’t compare with the strength and intelligence of its older brother. Strength and intelligence are the qualities of a great king, thus the 3135 reigns supreme.

Last edited by Jimihendrix; 2 September 2019 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Minor corrections
Jimihendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 03:05 AM   #17
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimihendrix View Post
What do you think about the conclusion part of the article from Ashton Tracy
Thank you for the perfect article
I am still in dilemma :)

Conclusion
Now we’re in overtime: it’s 2 – 2. So, after examining in some depth the two calibres, who comes out on top? There is no denying the 3235 is a beautiful, aesthetically pleasing piece of horology. Rolex have done well and should be proud. Anyone purchasing a watch equipped with said movement will have made a wise choice and they can be proud of the motor under the bonnet. The advances in the 3235 are in line with the horological landscape today, which makes use of modern manufacturing techniques to achieve advances in escapement engineering, materials that are lighter, more anti-magnetic and more efficient. But where does it stand next to its big brother? Is he faster, stronger, more intelligent and better looking? Well, he is better looking. I would even say he’s faster, but when it comes to strength and intelligence the 3135 takes it every time. Even though the score was 2 – 2, in my opinion the 3135 still comes out on top. It’s long-lasting, it’s proven and it can be repaired for decades to come even if parts supply is discontinued. It doesn’t require excessive replacement of costly parts, which makes it watchmaker- friendly and customer-friendly.
The 3235 is a great movement, there is no denying that. But its speed and looks can’t compare with the strength and intelligence of its older brother. Strength and intelligence are the qualities of a great king, thus the 3135 reigns supreme.

Actually i m not even considering buying watches with the new mvmnt ,the 3135 not only looks better(much better) it also works better ,there are still plenty of nice 5digit references to choose for ,new Rolexes are just not my cup of tee ☕️ both aesthetically &technically.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote