The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 27 February 2020, 05:29 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If they caught you flipping they can do what they like, you are using the grey market too so you can't claim any purity. You do the watch crime, you do the time.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:29 AM   #32
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

Rolex need to develop a new clasp for the bracelets that has a key lock on it. Only Authorised Dealers have the master key and at the point of purchase the watch (first has it’s stickers removed - all except for one) is sized and then locked to the buyers wrist.

The AD then gets to decide if or when the buyer has spent enough with them and can have the watch removed. The buyers will fall over themselves sucking up to the AD for the privilege and the AD will continue selling hot models out the backdoor of the AD to his grey dealer friends whilst everyone maintains the pretence that they are all trying to control the problem.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:30 AM   #33
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Man what a terrible situation. It’s sad that the AD’s have this much power. I’m not in favor of flipping but I think after reasonable time period it’s not a flip in any way. Sorry this happened!
Old 27 February 2020, 05:30 AM   #34
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticsub View Post
This makes sense. Rolex really hates the grey market I guess.

Ask yourself this question: if Richemont is buying back stock to destroy unsold inventory, would it really be that outlandish for rolex to try and find out which AD is selling to flippers?
Actually, few things make much sense these days.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 27 February 2020, 05:30 AM   #35
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Not adding up...? Why did you lie and say it wasn't listed. You didn't want them to know for some reason. I think you knew you got "caught" and pulled it off...And, you were going to post this, to vent yourself in any case.

cont.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:30 AM   #36
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

I’m fearful of this happening. I specifically asked my AD point blank about selling one of my watches. I told them I may decide to sell it and have heard about the backlash it could cause and wanted their input to not burn any bridges with them or Rolex. I truly don’t think you were in the wrong. It’s not like you bought it solely to flip it, something in life came up and you had a change of heart and then you didn’t even sell it. That’s just dumb to be banned. Sorry for your bad luck :/
Old 27 February 2020, 05:31 AM   #37
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If they caught you flipping they can do what they like, you are using the grey market too so you can't claim any purity. You do the watch crime, you do the time.
Crime?

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 27 February 2020, 05:32 AM   #38
Hibbyx
Banned

Watch: Bluesy, Seadweller
I'm sure ADs are selling watches to grays out the back door, it's bad the way Rolex can treat past good customers and think we won't fotget about it
Old 27 February 2020, 05:32 AM   #39
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quite a story, sorry for this.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 05:32 AM   #40
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree more fantasy Island posts.
If anybody is down to earth ... Your comments always make me smile, thanks
Old 27 February 2020, 05:35 AM   #41
sea206
"TRF" Member

Why would AD cares? They charged you the money and you paid the cost and it's yours. As far as I can tell you can melt it poop on it, making videos of whatever the hell you want with it. Not to mention you have your right to sell whenever the hell you want.
F* 'em and give your business elsewhere.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:35 AM   #42
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Wow that is insane.

What did you have on the ebay pictures? Was the card in-sight, or serial number in-sight?

Seems a bit much... honestly. Even if you wanted to sell your watch, you should have the right to do that. To me, flipping needs to have an established "pattern" to land a ban.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:37 AM   #43
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
I would give a shit….
Go Grey....it´s only Money....
Old 27 February 2020, 05:37 AM   #44
blada4life
"TRF" Member

How long did you wait before listing the Pepsi after buying it? At least 6 months? I just find this ridiculous. Unless you did it within a month I don’t get where they get off. At what point can you sell your f-ing watch, before they let you?! It’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 05:37 AM   #45
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
AD manager has told me he has spent time searching pics
What a shitty job, doesn't he have more important things to do?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:37 AM   #46
Loose_head-prop
"TRF" Member

Rolex per se don't have time for this. ADs, however, do since they have nothing in their shops to sell. Probably spend most of their working days trawling ebay looking for newish pieces from the UK. Then ask you for a few additional pics so that they can verify the case # and you are soon busted as a flipper. UK chains sell all SS pieces on instruction from head office and not by the shop managers 'working through' imaginary lists. They will be cross that it's been flipped by someone other than themselves... through their own greys.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:37 AM   #47
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Unlikely that Rolex would waste time looking through ads about people selling their personal watches. Rolex got their money when it was delivered to the Dealer, and such an effort would take massive time and resources for zero return for them.

Selling your watch is not the Grey Market.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:38 AM   #48
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea206 View Post
Why would AD cares? They charged you the money and you paid the cost and it's yours. As far as I can tell you can melt it poop on it, making videos of whatever the hell you want with it. Not to mention you have your right to sell whenever the hell you want.
F* 'em and give your business somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Because Rolex doesn’t like it. There’s enough anecdotal evidence of this in the U.K. at least - I reckon a fair chunk of regular U.K. members on here have heard of this happening - and I seem to recall a screen grab of a letter from Rolex U.K. advising AD’s about trying to curb flipping.

I realise some people will be sceptical, but if you accept that, the AD’s are just protecting their agency and their business. If Rolex didn’t care, then why would AD’s?

Now you might well ask why Rolex cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Like selling phantom Rolex watches?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:41 AM   #49
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlatitude View Post
Rolex need to develop a new clasp for the bracelets that has a key lock on it. Only Authorised Dealers have the master key and at the point of purchase the watch (first has it’s stickers removed - all except for one) is sized and then locked to the buyers wrist.
This made me "LOL". Great post. You're being facetious but it will probably become the norm soon.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:42 AM   #50
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
You must have posted the card with serial number and AD name listed?
....standing next to it, with today’s newspaper.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:45 AM   #51
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
AD manager has told me he has spent time searching pics on grey listings looking for serial numbers on the rehaut.
Quote:
No - his cases are probably as bare as a baby's @rse.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:45 AM   #52
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Like telling all the walk in customers that there are no stainless steel models available?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:46 AM   #53
MacDaddyOC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seeking My 1st.
I'm sorry that does suck. We've heard rumors of this, but you seem to be the first, first-hand experience I've heard of.

I must admit though, I do appreciate that Rolex is trying to crack down on flippers. I don't think the one off flippers are really the issue...it would seem to me the dealers knowingly selling to grey's are the bigger issue. I'm guessing that is one of the reasons they're reducing the ADs nationwide.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:46 AM   #54
dukie748
"TRF" Member

The World of Rolex gets crazier every day.

Perhaps if the AD's had something to sell they wouldn't have the time to trawl online sales, it's also ironic that Rolex is attempting to identify 'flippers' when the Grays hold the large majority of their desirable pieces. Wonder where they got them?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:46 AM   #55
wholecz
"TRF" Member

Watch: black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Like telling all the walk in customers that there are no stainless steel models available?
I do you a better one, like they said "Have you ever shopped with us before?"
Old 27 February 2020, 05:47 AM   #56
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

is it just in the UK or worldwide?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:47 AM   #57
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

What doesn’t make sense is why would Rolex ban u from only one AD?

More likely someone from the AD found ur ad on-line and reported to the owners... who were not happy that they are not getting their cut from what they perceive as a “flip” Lol
Old 27 February 2020, 05:49 AM   #58
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because Rolex doesn’t like it. There’s enough anecdotal evidence of this in the U.K. at least - I reckon a fair chunk of regular U.K. members on here have heard of this happening - and I seem to recall a screen grab of a letter from Rolex U.K. advising AD’s about trying to curb flipping.

I realise some people will be sceptical, but if you accept that, the AD’s are just protecting their agency and their business. If Rolex didn’t care, then why would AD’s?

Now you might well ask why Rolex cares...

Like selling phantom Rolex watches?
IF Rolex cares, they care far more about their regional sellers and ADs selling watches to the grey market by the truckload, than random people selling their watches on the internet.

Now if Rolex can trace a watch back to a specific AD (can they?), and those ADs aren't happy about Rolex potentially finding out about their side grey business, I can see why an AD would want to smack the hand of some random person to "prove" they care.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:49 AM   #59
Frank Mucus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJII Wimbledon
That's a wild story. I doubt a company like Rolex has the time to have staff scour the internets in search of people reselling their products. Maybe it's your AD just being an ass and not wanting to sell you that Daytona after taking all your money and selling it to someone else.

If your AD is the one searching everywhere to find out if one of the watches they sold is being resold then they have too much time on their hands. And so what if you decide to resell it. It's your possession now.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:50 AM   #60
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Unlikely that Rolex would waste time looking through ads about people selling their personal watches. Rolex got their money when it was delivered to the Dealer, and such an effort would take massive time and resources for zero return for them.

Selling your watch is not the Grey Market.
Exactly

And waiting six years for them to not deliver a watch makes me wonder why you could possibly upset? Unless of course this entire thread is . . .
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Closed Thread