The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 February 2020, 07:27 AM   #91
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My AD looks online at hot models for obvious signs like receipt and serial number. If they spot something bought from them being sold within a certain time frame they black list the seller. Rolex do not tell them to do this. It is the policy of the AD.

You haven't done anything wrong. It is your right to put your Pepsi up for sale. It is also your AD's right to chose not to sell anything else to you. You exercised your right and they have exercised theirs.

Nothing remarkable about it.
Old 27 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #92
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
I have never posted a Rolex for sale. I am not permitted to purchase a new Rolex from any AD, because they don't have any.

Effectively, nothing happened to OP.
LOL! Actually, that's a very good point.
Old 27 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #93
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
My AD looks online at hot models for obvious signs like receipt and serial number. If they spot something bought from them being sold within a certain time frame they black list the seller. Rolex do not tell them to do this. It is the policy of the AD.

You haven't done anything wrong. It is your right to put your Pepsi up for sale. It is also your AD's right to chose not to sell anything else to you. You exercised your right and they have exercised theirs.

Nothing remarkable about it.

Yep spot on !

If you Play the Flipping Game the money you make you can spend at the Grey dealers buying the watch you really want.

Just don't be shocked or expect sympathy when it all goes wrong.

Old 27 February 2020, 07:32 AM   #94
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

F them. It won’t always be a sellers market and other AD’s are available.
Old 27 February 2020, 07:35 AM   #95
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
F them. It won’t always be a sellers market and other AD’s are available.
For the foreseeable future it is,

and most UK Rolex Dealers are WOS Group...............
Old 27 February 2020, 07:36 AM   #96
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
It’s the AD not Rolex. But the ADs probably worried about Rolex coming down on him. For all you know, this AD may have other issues with Rolex causing him to be up all night searching on eBay for watches he sold. Sorry you got caught in the middle. Time to switch to Vintage rolex
Old 27 February 2020, 07:41 AM   #97
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Sorry to hear that Mr. Crown. Bad break.

My dealer sold an early black Daytona C to a good local customer. They thought he really wanted the watch but after playing with it for a couple days he decided it sell it on Ebay. The serial number was visible and my AD got a nasty-gram from Rolex stating these watches are meant to go to end users, not flippers.

Many of these dealers are living in fear that Rolex will yank their AD status. Rolex is a great money maker for them but it's not easy being an AD. Can't keep Rolex happy no matter what you do. Can't keep your customers happy as you can't provide enough hot pieces. Sell to a couple 'wrong' customers and risk losing your cash cow.

None are running for the exits so the profits must make the stress worth while!
Old 27 February 2020, 07:45 AM   #98
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
This is interesting. A couple of weeks ago, the GM at my AD told me that "they" (never mentioned Rolex) were watching the Grey market. If they catch one of their clients selling a highly demanding piece like SS Daytona, BLRO, BLRN or similar with long waitlists and the watch was bought from their AD, they will ban him from buying any other pieces. At that time I didn't believe what she said but seeing what happened to the OP I don't know what to think now.
Old 27 February 2020, 07:48 AM   #99
fed_fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
Something seems fishy about this story. By this logic, no one could ever make a mistake purchasing something, or have buyers remorse or just decide they couldn't afford or 100 other reasons for selling something.
There's legitimate flipping, which to me is you put in a request to get a piece, get a call on that piece and immediately put in up for sale with that being your intention the whole time.
Flipping, to me, is not selling something because you found something you like better, don't like the original purchase, money is tight, rotation of collection etc.

I'd tell the AD to enjoy the position they have today because the market hasn't always been like this and it certainly won't continue as everything ebbs and flows. Remind them of the old days where they hoped someone would spring for a Rolex instead of a $400 pair of earrings.

*If you posted a close up of the serial then you deserve what you get. There are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't do this. At the same time, what I said above is still true.
Have to agree with this entirely...
Old 27 February 2020, 07:51 AM   #100
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Banned from my AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
Then why are the pulling AD status from certain shops?

Because these small ADs are not willing to conform to Rolex criteria for display area, nor are they willing to pay the absurd prices that Rolex charges for display cases, decor, and compulsory staff training.
Old 27 February 2020, 07:57 AM   #101
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Because these small ADs are not willing to conform to Rolex criteria for display area, nor are they willing to pay the absurd prices that Rolex charges for display cases, decor, and compulsory staff training.
Not most of them. Some invest greatly only to have their AD status yanked anyway. Happened in Spokane Washington not to long ago. Lost their AD status just weeks after investing heavily on new Rolex displays.
Old 27 February 2020, 07:58 AM   #102
bumbershoot
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Probably because you were selling for double the watches worth. But F them... when I buy my next Audi I have the sell my current one and the market value of that is simply that... why we now to AD’s is beyond me.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:01 AM   #103
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
Yeah... this checks out. My AD had told me Rolex does this, and here’s the proof. Crazy times.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:04 AM   #104
smym18
"TRF" Member

"So, what do you do for a living?"

"I search eBay for Rolex serial numbers to prevent customers from selling their property."

Dream job.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:06 AM   #105
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
Laings in the UK told me that they would welcome a trade in since they sell pre-owned watches - in fact they reassured me that if I wanted to buy a Rolex and trade it back in it would be perfectly fine to upgrade to a more expensive model.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:14 AM   #106
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
The AD might have produced a Daytona C if the OP wanted to trade the Pepsi back to them which they could then resell at market price.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:14 AM   #107
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post
Laings in the UK told me that they would welcome a trade in since they sell pre-owned watches - in fact they reassured me that if I wanted to buy a Rolex and trade it back in it would be perfectly fine to upgrade to a more expensive model.
You are correct, Laings will take a Rolex they sold as a trade in for another but it has to be at least 12 months old (same with Tudor).
Old 27 February 2020, 08:18 AM   #108
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
The AD might have produced a Daytona C if the OP wanted to trade the Pepsi back to them which they could then resell at market price.

Good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 08:21 AM   #109
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Kind of ridiculous of them...I suppose just take your money elsewhere, as they don't want your business. Or better yet, use the money for another brand, something else, or just save it!
Old 27 February 2020, 08:29 AM   #110
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Something smell fishy here...
Old 27 February 2020, 08:31 AM   #111
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
The World of Rolex gets crazier every day.

Perhaps if the AD's had something to sell they wouldn't have the time to trawl online sales, it's also ironic that Rolex is attempting to identify 'flippers' when the Grays hold the large majority of their desirable pieces. Wonder where they got them?
they got them from flippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_jrees View Post
Sorry to hear this happened. If I was going to sell I would have taken it back to the A.D
And give up 5K....
Old 27 February 2020, 08:31 AM   #112
ChipotleBanana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m not sure understand ... you tried to flip a Pepsi you bought at your AD in order to buy a Daytona on the gray market ?

I might not be happy about that either if I’m your AD.
You can't fix stupid...
Old 27 February 2020, 08:36 AM   #113
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like fake post to me
Old 27 February 2020, 08:37 AM   #114
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree more fantasy Island posts.
It does happen. I know of a person it happened to. Several others here do too.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:50 AM   #115
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/116500LN/APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by az110965 View Post
Wow. That’s an ad with a lot of extra time on his hands to peruse E-bay listings, search for serial numbers and run them through a database...

If ad’s gave more of a sh*t about flippers they wouldn’t feed the bears themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Man what a terrible situation. It’s sad that the AD’s have this much power. I’m not in favor of flipping but I think after reasonable time period it’s not a flip in any way. Sorry this happened!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea206 View Post
Why would AD cares? They charged you the money and you paid the cost and it's yours. As far as I can tell you can melt it poop on it, making videos of whatever the hell you want with it. Not to mention you have your right to sell whenever the hell you want.
F* 'em and give your business elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_head-prop View Post
Rolex per se don't have time for this. ADs, however, do since they have nothing in their shops to sell. Probably spend most of their working days trawling ebay looking for newish pieces from the UK. Then ask you for a few additional pics so that they can verify the case # and you are soon busted as a flipper. UK chains sell all SS pieces on instruction from head office and not by the shop managers 'working through' imaginary lists. They will be cross that it's been flipped by someone other than themselves... through their own greys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mucus View Post
That's a wild story. I doubt a company like Rolex has the time to have staff scour the internets in search of people reselling their products. Maybe it's your AD just being an ass and not wanting to sell you that Daytona after taking all your money and selling it to someone else.

If your AD is the one searching everywhere to find out if one of the watches they sold is being resold then they have too much time on their hands. And so what if you decide to resell it. It's your possession now.
I have talked with Rolex Boutique’s when traveling, and my AD which I trust and have worked with for many years - Rolex *hates* the Grey Market. Yes, it’s their own creation to a degree but they can only produce so many watches. Throw flames at this if you like.

Rolex has created a small team, and spent upwards of 1mm (pennies to them) on cracking down on flippers. Not necessarily those looking to sell vintage, but those looking to profit on hot models with a quick sale. They want the watches to go to collectors, not flippers. I feel bad for the OP - his situation is a result of the situation not an addition to it, so if you can’t beat ‘em he joined ‘em. I get it and that’s a situation where it hurts.

ADs don’t want to be punished by Rolex - so if Rolex catches a flipper (using S/N) they will quite literally contact the AD and ask them not to sell allocated models to that person. Hence, the banned customer. My AD has had to ban top customers for PP and Rolex (only 2 this year) and lost business as a result - but not a worse result than losing a brand or allocated models for all customers.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:52 AM   #116
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
So not only did you make a bundle on the Pepsi your AD got you, you also can’t blow any of the profit on any more watches thanks to the AD. Sounds to me like your AD is making you a very wealthy man!!

Old 27 February 2020, 09:00 AM   #117
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
I have talked with Rolex Boutique’s when traveling, and my AD which I trust and have worked with for many years - Rolex *hates* the Grey Market. Yes, it’s their own creation to a degree but they can only produce so many watches. Throw flames at this if you like.

Rolex has created a small team, and spent upwards of 1mm (pennies to them) on cracking down on flippers. Not necessarily those looking to sell vintage, but those looking to profit on hot models with a quick sale. They want the watches to go to collectors, not flippers. I feel bad for the OP - his situation is a result of the situation not an addition to it, so if you can’t beat ‘em he joined ‘em. I get it and that’s a situation where it hurts.

ADs don’t want to be punished by Rolex - so if Rolex catches a flipper (using S/N) they will quite literally contact the AD and ask them not to sell allocated models to that person. Hence, the banned customer. My AD has had to ban top customers for PP and Rolex (only 2 this year) and lost business as a result - but not a worse result than losing a brand or allocated models for all customers.

This is probably the best and most balanced view posted.

Old 27 February 2020, 09:00 AM   #118
al1786
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post

Laing’s also make you sign a contract for the SS Professional range stipulating that you won’t sell for commercial gain in the first 3 years of ownership, unless it sold back to them.

Old 27 February 2020, 09:06 AM   #119
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The SAs at my AD are not rushed off their feet all day every day. Neither are the store manager or the store owner. Given the frequency with which Pepsis, Daytonas. Sky Dwellers etc show up in consignments, it's hardly a chore for someone to spend a couple of hours a week surfing around looking at the UK used market. Once you've got a feel for what you are looking at, it is easy to spot new listings. If I'm looking for a grey watch online, once acclimatised to the market I am interested in, the new listings are obvious. It's the same if I'm looking for a used car or buying property online. As far as the AD is concerned, it's due diligence plain and simple.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:08 AM   #120
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1786 View Post
Laing’s also make you sign a contract for the SS Professional range stipulating that you won’t sell for commercial gain in the first 3 years of ownership, unless it sold back to them.

You’re kidding me? 3 years? I could maybe understand a year or 18 months but a lot could happen in 3 years. The sale of a watch for $15k could save someone’s small business if they go thru a rough patch. You never know.
Closed Thread