The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 27 February 2020, 09:09 AM   #121
Cazador60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
Rolex and other high brand names have investigators who daily search for possible counterfeit brand items: luxury to pharmaceuticals and anything that can negatively affect their brand.
I think its reasonable for them to protect their Brand but to forever ban an individual because he sold his own watch on Ebay is too much. Both my Rollies were bought grey market- screw em.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:10 AM   #122
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1nky_Up View Post
You’re kidding me? 3 years? I could maybe understand a year or 18 months but a lot could happen in 3 years. The sale of a watch for $15k could save someone’s small business if they go thru a rough patch. You never know.
They’re not saying you can’t sell your watch. They’re saying if you do, you can’t buy another one from us. Which is probably for the best since failing businesses don’t support having a Rolex habit too well.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:18 AM   #123
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
What I think gets lost on most people is that it's not always a person sitting behind a computer glancing at Ebay/Chrono24/whathaveyou listings that busts the owner trying to resell his watch. Many times it's an automated scraper/crawler that looks to detect (1) what year the watch is, (2) which model, and (3) whether there are serial numbers showing in the image- detectable using OCR technology. And if the OCR can decipher the numbers, then that's just a bonus.

Once the machines do that, most of the work for the so-called "Rolex police" is finished. In fact, human workers are really only needed just to monitor the process and maybe validate the results before calling the particular AD and having a chat with them.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:24 AM   #124
Pete26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
What a shitty job, doesn't he have more important things to do?
Well, he has no watches to sell.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:24 AM   #125
R_Rated
"TRF" Member

So the serial number was visible on the listing and you tried to lie? I wouldn't believe you and wouldn't care if you brought the watch in to see.... what's to stop you from selling/flipping right after?

FWIW, selling is your prerogative, at any price. Rolex likes flippers... it drives up demand and justifies price increases.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:36 AM   #126
Pete26
Banned

This behavior by an AD is disgusting. Yes, the OP lied, but I can imagine the AD put the wind up him and he admitted it. Frankly, it's the pot calling the kettle black.

It's your watch to sell, if AD'S can sell on the gray market, why not us.

I have had my name down for a Rolex Sub-Date since March last year and not heard a thing, called twice to be told sorry.

That AD has now closed it's doors for renovation and the owners son has moved onto other ventures.

I have had it with the games Rolex AD'S play. It's your money. You buy a watch it's yours to do with what you want.

I have walked with my money and gone elsewhere for arguably a better watch and better customer service, so I decided to buy a Grand Seiko quartz GMT from the Grand Seiko Boutique in Australia instead. Not only was my watch delivered to my house next day. I was given a massive box and a Grand Seiko Paperweight with a 5 year Australian Boutique warranty.

Rolex have lost another potential customer in me. To the OP, I hope you find your grail and that you have continued opportunities to buy the watch you want.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 09:37 AM   #127
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
AD to customers ....
“ Do as we say, not as we do”

How many SS pieces has this and every other AD sent out the back door to greys?

Pot/kettle????

Total hypocrisy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 09:42 AM   #128
MSchu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete26 View Post
I'll buy that paper weight from you
Old 27 February 2020, 09:44 AM   #129
djyolky
Banned

This has NOTHING to do with Rolex and EVERYTHING to do with your AD. I'm glad you told that AD to pound sand. Good for you.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 09:55 AM   #130
Pete26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
I'll buy that paper weight from you
LOL, no thanks, it was a special bonus for buying on-line from the Boutique, when I got the box I thought it was a mistake, the delivery driver had to carry it in both arms.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:56 AM   #131
Skydwella
Banned

Watch: Only Rolex
Sorry about what happened, the situation is messy I'm surprised by the amount of time spent going through E-bay.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:08 AM   #132
Pete26
Banned

Just checked and the Brisbane Rolex Boutique is re-opening in late February. I wonder if it's even smaller than it was as they only stock Tudor and Rolex. The Hourglass around the corner has more brands. If Rolex and their AD's continue to treat customers like dirt, I don't like their future.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:34 AM   #133
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
OP, as bad as the situation may seem, it could be worse. The worst that happens here is that you can't shop at that AD.

At least you didn't build a business based on acquiring watches. I'm guessing this is how Chris Essery's original supply chain got cut off.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:39 AM   #134
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Rolex and ADs are not in business to make Flipping a main stream business and Flippers into Entrepreneurs. They are in business to sell watches to those of us who appreciate them and wear them.

My SA has told me stories of Rolex actually buying watches that were still stickered from Grey dealers that they suspected were flipped or sold out the backdoor and presented the watch and the bill to the AD.

No different than Ferrari as another poster has stated. I have a friend that had a brand new Ferrari that he got into an accident with after 2 weeks of ownership. It had about 30K in damage if repaired by the Dealer. He sold it to an outfit that fixes them and sells them in South America and lost less than half of what he would have had he fixed it at the Dealership. He was instantly banned from the Dealership for life.

Right or Wrong that's the way it is.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:51 AM   #135
snyde
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
AD manager has told me he has spent time searching pics on grey listings looking for serial numbers on the rehaut. He said he’d rather find out before Rolex did to anticipate the bollocking he’d get.

Riiiight

Old 27 February 2020, 10:53 AM   #136
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crown View Post
NO FURTHER PURCHASES END OF...after which i lost it and basically told them to get F***ed

so
They threw away a near 20 year relationship that made them tens of thousands of dollars. Pretty much how I would have handled it. Actually, I'd probably go there and do it again in person.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:55 AM   #137
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Rolex and ADs are not in business to make Flipping a main stream business and Flippers into Entrepreneurs. They are in business to sell watches to those of us who appreciate them and wear them.

My SA has told me stories of Rolex actually buying watches that were still stickered from Grey dealers that they suspected were flipped or sold out the backdoor and presented the watch and the bill to the AD.

No different than Ferrari as another poster has stated. I have a friend that had a brand new Ferrari that he got into an accident with after 2 weeks of ownership. It had about 30K in damage if repaired by the Dealer. He sold it to an outfit that fixes them and sells them in South America and lost less than half of what he would have had he fixed it at the Dealership. He was instantly banned from the Dealership for life.

Right or Wrong that's the way it is.
Doesn’t insurance pay
Old 27 February 2020, 10:57 AM   #138
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Is this real?
Old 27 February 2020, 11:10 AM   #139
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
If it’s played out the way it has then...

1. I’m happy Rolex has flipper police operating. It could be automated scraping and then humans that get involved. Flippers need to get weeded out and sometime there will be collateral damage - as in this case. Rolex can’t be dammed for doing nothing and then damned for doing what the mobs want them to do which is to bring back sanity.

2. Posting a watch for sale with serial numbers visible? Not sure that’s a good idea ever. It’s better to DM an interested party and only if necessary, than putting that out there for the world to see.

3. I would love to see the “WTS” listing the OP out on eBay. Something about has triggered a rather emotional response from the AD.

4. Rolex probably contacted the AD and ticked them off; banning the client would usually be the response of the AD. Rolex can’t foresee where in the future the OP may buy another piece from. They’re probably shooting the AD.

A very interesting saga indeed.

Cheers

Old 27 February 2020, 11:11 AM   #140
Therolexboyz
Banned

To quote the great Donald Trump.....”you’re Fired”!!
Old 27 February 2020, 11:12 AM   #141
vicsdca
Banned

Rolex searching serial numbers on Ebay: no way
AD searching serial numbers on Ebay: very unlikely
Someone frustrated with flippers reporting you to the AD: possible
Old 27 February 2020, 11:17 AM   #142
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if this isn’t part of Rolex standard policing of pricing just like an other pricing violation. This is really easy to do and wouldn’t take nearly as much time as everyone thinks. Standard practice in music instrument retail down to guitar strings.

Did op mark the watch “brand new” could have been the trigger and to me then the reaction would have made sense. Any other condition listed and the AD can blow it out their arse

steve
Old 27 February 2020, 11:20 AM   #143
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

This is the mostest stupidest thing I have heard since this morning. A vendor trying to dictate another person / a customer no less on what one can or cannot do with their property. It is only a watch. Why so tight in the behind ?
Old 27 February 2020, 11:22 AM   #144
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Wow, Cool!
Old 27 February 2020, 11:22 AM   #145
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
Rolex has created a small team, and spent upwards of 1mm (pennies to them) on cracking down on flippers. Not necessarily those looking to sell vintage, but those looking to profit on hot models with a quick sale. They want the watches to go to collectors, not flippers. I feel bad for the OP - his situation is a result of the situation not an addition to it, so if you can’t beat ‘em he joined ‘em. I get it and that’s a situation where it hurts.

ADs don’t want to be punished by Rolex - so if Rolex catches a flipper (using S/N) they will quite literally contact the AD and ask them not to sell allocated models to that person. Hence, the banned customer. My AD has had to ban top customers for PP and Rolex (only 2 this year) and lost business as a result - but not a worse result than losing a brand or allocated models for all customers.
This.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:31 AM   #146
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I loved the last sentence.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:34 AM   #147
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I am sure you were selling it for "market price" which is WAY over the MSRP. Rolex could 100% think you are selling for profit and they want none of that.

At the end, it's your fault for not covering the serial # on the watch (No problem selling it, since it's yours but you got caught!). If I was the owner of the store, I would do the same. I mean your listing was spotted by "Rolex" so which means, "Rolex" called the AD to follow up on this.

It sucks but I'd say find a new AD but be careful they might have called ADs near them to warn about you. :yikes:
Old 27 February 2020, 11:35 AM   #148
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
If this is totally true it’s crazy.

I think I would take it a step further. Any Rolex I did not want I would sell and put the ADs name in the listing saying where I bought it.

I would blast the hell out of them, reviews social media, I would even file a better business case. That gets people attention. I mean they can “ban” you it’s probably their right as a company, but I would at least try to give them a lot of negative PR.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:39 AM   #149
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
I have talked with Rolex Boutique’s when traveling, and my AD which I trust and have worked with for many years - Rolex *hates* the Grey Market. Yes, it’s their own creation to a degree but they can only produce so many watches. Throw flames at this if you like.

Rolex has created a small team, and spent upwards of 1mm (pennies to them) on cracking down on flippers. Not necessarily those looking to sell vintage, but those looking to profit on hot models with a quick sale. They want the watches to go to collectors, not flippers. I feel bad for the OP - his situation is a result of the situation not an addition to it, so if you can’t beat ‘em he joined ‘em. I get it and that’s a situation where it hurts.

ADs don’t want to be punished by Rolex - so if Rolex catches a flipper (using S/N) they will quite literally contact the AD and ask them not to sell allocated models to that person. Hence, the banned customer. My AD has had to ban top customers for PP and Rolex (only 2 this year) and lost business as a result - but not a worse result than losing a brand or allocated models for all customers.
All true and well put. Rolex wants the watches to be sold to the end consumer by the AD, not by the gray market. Rolex does indeed look for flipped watches online and when they find them, they don't know if the AD or the customer is flipping the watch, so they investigate. It's likely not enjoyable for the AD to be questioned on such things, considering how valuable being a Rolex AD is.

Oh, one more thing, I almost forgot: It is amusing the sellers who are so careful to white out the serial # on the tag but leave the bar code right there to scan.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:41 AM   #150
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoc26 View Post
I doubt if Rolex gives a rat$%^# about flippers, had to be the AD. These are not one off limited editions, these are mass produced items and what the purchaser does afterwards is nobody's business. Could you imagine ordering a Ford Raptor, deciding you didn't like it, listing it for resale and Ford Motor Company informing you that you can no longer buy a Ford ever again
No I cannot. That is how nutty this whole market has gotten.
Closed Thread