The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2020, 06:30 AM   #1
joshinbrooklyn
"TRF" Member

Rolex has jumped the shark

I think in the WIS community, people are beginning to associate Rolex--the brand everyone seems to think "knows what they are doing"--with the shortages, waitlists, residual value conversations, speculation/flipping, and "getting the (AD) call", like over the quality of their product.

A good example of this--you can hear the Hodinkee folks "roll their eyes" on the air whenever someone mentions a sports Rolex model on their podcast.

Most of the threads on TRF are unreadable (some dude putting helicopter tape on his hulk clasp, another guy taking a weekend trip to the Caribbean to buy a hulk and flip for a Daytona or something). Check out the Omega forums, they talk about watches.

Anyways
joshinbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 06:34 AM   #2
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I love and will always love Rolex, and the TRF community is great.

Shortages and the eye-rolls are just the way of the world - AP and Patek are having similar issues. No offense to anyone that likes Omega, but they'll NEVER have shortages with all the "LE's" and very similar models that they produce.
Old 27 February 2020, 06:35 AM   #3
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I feel like this thread might add to said noise

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 06:39 AM   #4
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshinbrooklyn View Post
I think in the WIS community, people are beginning to associate Rolex--the brand everyone seems to think "knows what they are doing"--with the shortages, waitlists, residual value conversations, speculation/flipping, and "getting the (AD) call", like over the quality of their product.

A good example of this--you can hear the Hodinkee folks "roll their eyes" on the air whenever someone mentions a sports Rolex model on their podcast.

Most of the threads on TRF are unreadable (some dude putting helicopter tape on his hulk clasp, another guy taking a weekend trip to the Caribbean to buy a hulk and flip for a Daytona or something). Check out the Omega forums, they talk about watches.

Anyways

I second your thoughts.
Unfortunately it’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 06:40 AM   #5
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I always find these threads amusing. OP convinced he has groundbreaking information for us that will make us come to our senses and we'll all sign up for the Omega Forums today for some Real Watch Talk AFTER heading down to the Omega AD to buy something at full retail.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 06:42 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

TRF is wonderful but I would be lying if I didn’t say there is a growing “Rolex stigma” of all the increased “investment” ”most rare” “hardest to get”, etc..talk and new blood into the watch community that is trying to run before they have spent any amount of time learning to walk about mechanical watches. Newbies showing up to own and be associated with the current buzz of Rolex. I suspect they crave exclusivity of the brand and not the watch as they only target the most perceived hardest to get model after literally no experience in the watch world.

This is all a byproduct of Rolex skyrocketing success.

This is all old news.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 06:45 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Been like this since early 17 so this is old news. It's not that Rolex know what they are doing or are grand manipulators, no, it is that Rolex have not done anything different, the world around them has changed but they have not, and they have done very well.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:10 AM   #8
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

The Op is a little late to the party with this complaint.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:30 AM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Guys,

Should I take the premium on my 5th daytonaC and buy an explorer 2 polar or airking. That air king is really starting to heat up. Should have a nice run. What do you all think?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:30 AM   #10
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Anyways
Haters gonna hate
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:33 AM   #11
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Guys,

Should I take the premium on my 5th daytonaC and buy an explorer 2 polar or airking. That air king is really starting to heat up. Should have a nice run. What do you all think?
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:36 AM   #12
djgallo
Banned

If the Rolex SS models were plentiful at AD’s....everyone would still be complaining that there are too many, and easy to get, and prices are dropping less than MSRP......

Then we would be in the same position as the Omega folks.....

I would rather be in the current Rolex world...life is good! Enjoy it!
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:44 AM   #13
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

It's really not that surprising that there is mark-up on watches people want by those that can afford to buy in "bulk" or "know a guy", giving them easy access. The exact same thing happens with, sneakers, vinyl records, concert tickets and many more things. I can't even count the times I couldn't see a show or get a record I wanted without paying 2x-3x and above! It's a combo of the internet and the Tickle Me Elmo effect.

It takes all of my will-power to not join the problem. I almost guarantee my AD would sell me a few different SS models but I won't even tempt myself by asking.
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:57 AM   #14
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I love my Rolex and all things about the brand and TRF brethren reaching out often. I also love many other brands from cheap to all in including Omega as well, never bought into any hypes. If anyone wants to wait ten years or ten minutes, pay msrp or 2X, invest, flip, trade or whatever its no sweat off of my ----s hehee. I love this place.... O yah, why not a wrist shot..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 08:06 AM   #15
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Guys,

Lol.

Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 08:07 AM   #16
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
If the Rolex SS models were plentiful at AD’s....everyone would still be complaining that there are too many, and easy to get, and prices are dropping less than MSRP......

Then we would be in the same position as the Omega folks.....

I would rather be in the current Rolex world...life is good! Enjoy it!

Agreed. Sorry for posting back to back...gotta figure out that double quote thing

Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 08:07 AM   #17
fed_fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
I agree with OP's sentiment about TRF but Hodinkee is probably not a great example in support of that argument. Hodinkee isn't a Rolex dealer so it shouldn't be all that surprising they favor other brands, particularly ones they hock in their online shop. Hard to put much stock in their analysis given their shift toward e-commerce and away from quality editorial content. I mean half of the airtime on their podcasts are dedicated to selling Leica cameras...IMO they're trying to position themselves like a Net-a-Porter in advance of a sale to a strategic buyer. It's a shame because the first few years of the blog provided a lot of great reading material.
fed_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 08:19 AM   #18
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Anyways
says the guy who made a post about "getting a text message the other day [for a batman]," which he previously flipped himself.

just busting your balls. lighten up.

none of the posts you mention were posted for that reason. the clasp tape came out during the post when the OP complained about his clasp getting scratched when getting it sized and how to proceed. the hulk flip posted about purchasing from a Caribbean AD and if it is legit. i get the sentiment, but i think you took a sentence out of a post and are harping on it as if it was the sole purpose of said post. people are excited to get their watch. they have no one else to share it with, and no one else to ask questions of.... as someone said, your own post adds flames to the so called fire.

just my 2 cents.
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 09:31 AM   #19
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex sells every watch they make, and folks are waiting in line to buy more; nothing stale or old-hat about them.

Dumb posts on Forums are no reflection on the product, it's a reflection on the poster.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:54 AM   #20
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
OMEGA FORUMS

No thank you I prefer the challenge of looking for what I can't have.
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:08 AM   #21
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex sells every watch they make, and folks are waiting in line to buy more; nothing stale or old-hat about them.

Dumb posts on Forums are no reflection on the product, it's a reflection on the poster.
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:15 AM   #22
2024 Pledge Member

Complaining about threads being unreadable by creating a thread that's unreadable.

Must be reverse psychology.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:24 AM   #23
hassantg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Portugieser IW5007
I don't post here nearly as much as I would like to but browse quite a bit, and to each his own I guess, cause I love this community!
hassantg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:24 AM   #24
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This should be a sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:25 AM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If TRF is going through a constant cycle of phases which reflect the shift in opinions, motivation, reasons for being attracted to the brand, etc. by today's owners and prospective owners, this indicates that TRF is a relevant and up-to-date resource.

I have learned a hell of a lot of factual information thanks to the contributors to this community and sharpened my technical and historical Rolex knowledge. Hell, I can even spot a bad fake now!

I prefer watch collecting to money collecting. But that's where the world is now. If a visit to this forum looked like 10 years ago, however more cosy, less irritating and more horologicaly biased, it wouldn't be a place where a newbie like I was in 2017 could learn anything about how to steer through the present landscape.

We seem to have a mix of old timers, new speculators. and many shades in between. A health sign in my view.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:32 AM   #26
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
If we could actually TRY ON or BUY one of the watches, maybe then we'd talk about them! Until then all we can do is whine whine whine...

(Yeah, I know, "go grey").

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 11:03 AM   #27
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Rolex knows exactly what they're doing.

Some of the posts I read on TRF suggest the poster, however, does not.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 11:32 AM   #28
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
If TRF is going through a constant cycle of phases which reflect the shift in opinions, motivation, reasons for being attracted to the brand, etc. by today's owners and prospective owners, this indicates that TRF is a relevant and up-to-date resource.

I have learned a hell of a lot of factual information thanks to the contributors to this community and sharpened my technical and historical Rolex knowledge. Hell, I can even spot a bad fake now!

I prefer watch collecting to money collecting. But that's where the world is now. If a visit to this forum looked like 10 years ago, however more cosy, less irritating and more horologicaly biased, it wouldn't be a place where a newbie like I was in 2017 could learn anything about how to steer through the present landscape.

We seem to have a mix of old timers, new speculators. and many shades in between. A health sign in my view.
Hear Here
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 12:39 PM   #29
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Guys, I am actually shocked that Omega has a forum, let me see if I can find it so that I and the 10 other people on the forum can talk about the moon watch for several hours. Speedy Tuesday hurrray!!!!! Speedy Tuesday horrray!!!!!

avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 12:49 PM   #30
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avega357 View Post
Guys, I am actually shocked that Omega has a forum, let me see if I can find it so that I and the 10 other people on the forum can talk about the moon watch for several hours. Speedy Tuesday hurrray!!!!! Speedy Tuesday horrray!!!!!

Your joking right. Omega has a huge social media presence over at WUS at 993,012 post and counting. Almost twice Rolex and Tudor combined and that is on a non themed, multi watch brand platform.
Where do you think a lot of the well known and respected TRF members have been spending time the last few years to get away from the investment and is-it-safe threads. As nice as TRF is, there is a big watch world out side outside this particular forum.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote