+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 12:52 PM   #32
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex sells every watch they make, and folks are waiting in line to buy more; nothing stale or old-hat about them.

Dumb posts on Forums are no reflection on the product, it's a reflection on the poster.

Old 27 February 2020, 12:53 PM   #33
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
If TRF is going through a constant cycle of phases which reflect the shift in opinions, motivation, reasons for being attracted to the brand, etc. by today's owners and prospective owners, this indicates that TRF is a relevant and up-to-date resource.

I have learned a hell of a lot of factual information thanks to the contributors to this community and sharpened my technical and historical Rolex knowledge. Hell, I can even spot a bad fake now!

I prefer watch collecting to money collecting. But that's where the world is now. If a visit to this forum looked like 10 years ago, however more cosy, less irritating and more horologicaly biased, it wouldn't be a place where a newbie like I was in 2017 could learn anything about how to steer through the present landscape.

We seem to have a mix of old timers, new speculators. and many shades in between. A health sign in my view.

So well said.

Old 27 February 2020, 01:16 PM   #34
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Of course Hodinkee will marginalize Rolex, they aren't an AD for them, so Omega, Grand Seiko, Hamilton and Montblanc will get the push. It ain't as cool if you're not selling it.

If you want to see more posts about the watches themselves, then go ahead and post themself, rather than write a post complaining about how nobody else is doing it.

I just think that's sillier than all the posts that are "hated"...post content you want to see...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:22 PM   #35
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Rolex knows exactly what they're doing.

Some of the posts I read on TRF suggest the poster, however, does not.

Old 27 February 2020, 01:28 PM   #36
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Yes, there is a lot of chaff on TRF but if you dig a little you can find gems of knowledge and some excellent photography.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:36 PM   #37
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-57 View Post
if trf is going through a constant cycle of phases which reflect the shift in opinions, motivation, reasons for being attracted to the brand, etc. By today's owners and prospective owners, this indicates that trf is a relevant and up-to-date resource.

I have learned a hell of a lot of factual information thanks to the contributors to this community and sharpened my technical and historical rolex knowledge. Hell, i can even spot a bad fake now!

I prefer watch collecting to money collecting. But that's where the world is now. If a visit to this forum looked like 10 years ago, however more cosy, less irritating and more horologicaly biased, it wouldn't be a place where a newbie like i was in 2017 could learn anything about how to steer through the present landscape.

We seem to have a mix of old timers, new speculators. And many shades in between. A health sign in my view.
+1.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:38 PM   #38
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
There is a world of watches out there for everyone to enjoy, even Rolex watches.

The current madness may make certain models hard to come by, but there are models that are readily available and, again, Rolex is not the only watch brand.

In that sense, the OP is correct. If one does not like the current Rolex situation, go and enjoy all the other watches or do something completely different with one's time and money.

Pendulums swing.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:18 PM   #39
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Oh I'll play...

Rolex hasn't done anything other than good marketing. And make a very good product. From my understanding they make about the same amount of watches every year, probably in about the same numbers per model and have done so for decades. They just aren't going to respond to market demand since they know it is finite. The worst thing they could do is flood the market with what people want now...
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:33 PM   #40
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Oh I'll play...

Rolex hasn't done anything other than good marketing. And make a very good product. From my understanding they make about the same amount of watches every year, probably in about the same numbers per model and have done so for decades. They just aren't going to respond to market demand since they know it is finite. The worst thing they could do is flood the market with what people want now...
Maybe worse would be to build out to accommodate the new demand and then be left holding the proverbial bag (excess product and infrastructure) when demand goes back to normal.

As many note, Rolex knows what they are doing.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:47 PM   #41
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Maybe worse would be to build out to accommodate the new demand and then be left holding the proverbial bag (excess product and infrastructure) when demand goes back to normal.

+1

Old 27 February 2020, 02:55 PM   #42
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

They do. Rolex always marketed themselves as "The last watch you will ever need." And that was the case for most of their history. Maybe people would have a SS model for daily or weekend and a PM for work; or a specialty watch (diver/Daytona) for something else. But their overall design is so unified they really don't look all that much different to most people. The divers and the GMT's are all about the same. Really. The DJ/Exploror/OP are all pretty similar. Have a few standouts with the Milgauss and Daytona. I know I am speaking TRF heresy here but one thing a Rolex looks like is a Rolex. And they are built like tanks and last forever and really never need to taken off no matter what you do; even to be wound. A less than WIS person probably sets the time on them a few times a year. And brings them in for service when they stop dead, not lose a few more seconds a week.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 04:43 PM   #43
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Your joking right. Omega has a huge social media presence over at WUS at 993,012 post and counting. Almost twice Rolex and Tudor combined and that is on a non themed, multi watch brand platform.
Where do you think a lot of the well known and respected TRF members have been spending time the last few years to get away from the investment and is-it-safe threads. As nice as TRF is, there is a big watch world out side outside this particular forum.
Agreed. I used to prefer TRF when it was more watch orintated, There are great people here, but the banter was more entertaining, when it was about watces and some light personal abuse (tossers)

Now I spend more time at WUS. Some in Omega, more in IWC. It doesn't have that old flavour, but at least it is about owning rather than chasing watches.

Can we have a new subforum for watch talk, and make this one for the grey market whiners?
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:53 PM   #44
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avega357 View Post
Guys, I am actually shocked that Omega has a forum, let me see if I can find it so that I and the 10 other people on the forum can talk about the moon watch for several hours. Speedy Tuesday hurrray!!!!! Speedy Tuesday horrray!!!!!

It must be great being this ignorant
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:56 PM   #45
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

Dumb posts on Forums are no reflection on the product, it's a reflection on the poster.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 01:25 AM   #46
RationalPragmatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
If Hodinkee is rolling their eyes at Rolex, why did they just make a new "week on the wrist" video with the editor in chief featuring the highly desired 11650LN Daytona? The video starts out with, "this may be the single most talked about, written about. obsessed over watch on earth." Doesn't sound like a brand that's jumping the shark. Because Rolex has a mass appeal, there might be a knee-jerk response to put over another brand by comparing it to the gold standard - Rolex. You see this on YouTube quite a bit with click-bait titles like, "Here’s Why The Omega Seamaster Is Better Than The Rolex Submariner." Sure, it might be 'better' in technical specifications and less expensive but if you buy each at retail, guess which one will take a steep depreciation hit?
RationalPragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 02:27 AM   #47
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalPragmatist View Post
If Hodinkee is rolling their eyes at Rolex, why did they just make a new "week on the wrist" video with the editor in chief featuring the highly desired 11650LN Daytona? The video starts out with, "this may be the single most talked about, written about. obsessed over watch on earth." Doesn't sound like a brand that's jumping the shark. Because Rolex has a mass appeal, there might be a knee-jerk response to put over another brand by comparing it to the gold standard - Rolex. You see this on YouTube quite a bit with click-bait titles like, "Here’s Why The Omega Seamaster Is Better Than The Rolex Submariner." Sure, it might be 'better' in technical specifications and less expensive but if you buy each at retail, guess which one will take a steep depreciation hit?
stop clouding the issue with fact!!

Old 28 February 2020, 02:39 AM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Rolex sells every watch they make, and folks are waiting in line to buy more; nothing stale or old-hat about them.

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 02:40 AM   #49
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

But did this thread nuke the fridge?
Old 28 February 2020, 02:44 AM   #50
pierson
"TRF" Member

ARG!! I completely agree with this. I just switched over to a VC Overseas 4500v from a 1655 and find myself googling and messaging about pricing and values.

I fully admit I have fallen into the trap. While it might be nice to hand down a cool valuable watch to my son, that's really not the point.

Should we have an AA group for us that find themselves falling victim?
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 03:05 AM   #51
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
I feel like this thread might add to said noise

steve

Lol
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 03:09 AM   #52
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I have to agree that many posts are unreadable.. If you need to mask your watch to protect it from wear, or typing, idk why you got it at first place. Who wants to buy a problem?
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 03:30 AM   #53
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Hodinkee is biased anyway, they completely glossed over how John Mayer got scammed buying franken rolexes in his second talking watches.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 09:49 AM   #54
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystro View Post
your joking right. Omega has a huge social media presence over at wus at 993,012 post and counting. Almost twice rolex and tudor combined and that is on a non themed, multi watch brand platform.
Where do you think a lot of the well known and respected trf members have been spending time the last few years to get away from the investment and is-it-safe threads. As nice as trf is, there is a big watch world out side outside this particular forum.
100%
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:07 AM   #55
Ihatecheese
Banned

Rolex is more a fashion piece than a horology brand. Hence the popularity with normal people who don't know/care what reference a watch is. It impressed the peers

Doesn't make them less enjoyable if you appreciate the piece but let's not pretend that they're something that they're not.

It's the same as the majority purchasing LV and pretending it's purchased due to the very best quality leather or stitching by a low key factory in Portugal. TBF this more applies to those who need the monogram stamped all over the bag..
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 11:18 AM   #56
Claven2
"TRF" Member

I find it funny that people think only Rolex has the supply vs demand issue. Ask your patek dealer if he has a Patek Philippe Ref. 5711 in stainless steel with a black-blue dial in stock. Then wait 20 minutes for him to stop laughing in your face.

It's just a sign that Rolex is becoming more haute horology with each passing year vs their previous market placement as a nice, reliable, mass-produced watch.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 11:52 AM   #57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
I find it funny that people think only Rolex has the supply vs demand issue.
Most know that Rolex, Patek and AP all have this issue. We just hear about Rolex here because there are dedicated Patek and AP discussion boards on TRF for those sharks to jump.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 12:45 PM   #58
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I kind of like all the threads you mentioned. It’s interesting to see other people’s perspective on things. Honestly, the only thing I dislike are people arguing about nicknames. I just enjoy taking watches. I don’t really care if it’s a detailed discussion about the movement or what the thoughts are for what gets discontinued. It’s all just for fun. I come to TRF to escape reality, not worry about the quality of a post. Sure some of it gets stale... but then I just keep scrolling.
Old 28 February 2020, 12:56 PM   #59
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshCashEmAll View Post
OMEGA FORUMS

No thank you I prefer the challenge of looking for what I can't have.
This made me laugh! Thanks for the smile!
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote