The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 March 2020, 04:32 AM   #1
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Most accurate serial number lookup?

I just realized Bob's Watches isn't necessarily the only serial number reference out there; that is to say, other websites (i.e., this one) yield different results.

I have an older Datejust listed for sale elsewhere, and after looking up its 5.8million serial number on Bob's Watches, someone asked if I was sure it's from 1979 and not 1980 (prob for birth year reasons). Naturally I searched for different sources and realized the discrepancies.

May I ask where the knowledgeable folk on this fine forum go to find reliable serial number years?

Thanks in advance!
Old 27 March 2020, 04:38 AM   #2
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Sadly, there is no perfect chart, as no one outside of Rolex knows for sure.
This one on our own forum here, is pretty solid...plus, it’s got bracelet date codes, too

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=54362
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 04:40 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

There's no way to know for sure, and IMO as a seller you should not be in the business of providing speculative information. Give the buyer the serial number and let him figure it out. If the watch has the original bracelet, give him the date code on the clasp as well.
Old 27 March 2020, 04:42 AM   #4
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Sadly, there is no perfect chart, as no one outside of Rolex knows for sure.
This one on our own forum here, is pretty solid...plus, it’s got bracelet date codes, too

Hey, a big thanks to you and to the mod Tools for helping me out. I think I'll just tell any prospective buyers it was made between '78 and '79, but most likely in '78, and show them the chart you linked.
Old 27 March 2020, 04:42 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
I just realized Bob's Watches isn't necessarily the only serial number reference out there; that is to say, other websites (i.e., this one) yield different results.

I have an older Datejust listed for sale elsewhere, and after looking up its 5.8million serial number on Bob's Watches, someone asked if I was sure it's from 1979 and not 1980 (prob for birth year reasons). Naturally I searched for different sources and realized the discrepancies.

May I ask where the knowledgeable folk on this fine forum go to find reliable serial number years?

Thanks in advance!
I go by this one. It's as accurate as any out there, but like all of the lists, it's a guide, not gospel.

For a 5.8 million case, I'd say closer to 1978. Keep in mind that a birth-year watch quest often needs to have some flexibility of a year or two. What is it being based on ... the year the case was made and/or engraved, year the watch was assembled, year the watch left the factory, year the watch was sold? So many variables.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 04:43 AM   #6
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
There's no way to know for sure, and IMO as a seller you should not be in the business of providing speculative information.
Up until a couple hours ago, I didn't think this was "speculative information." Alas, yes, I will just provide the serial range.
Old 27 March 2020, 04:46 AM   #7
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Keep in mind that a birth-year watch quest often needs to have some flexibility of a year or two. What is it being based on ... the year the case was made, year the watch was assembled, year the watch left the factory, year the watch was sold? So many variables.
That's a really good point. I have the papers with the watch and the calendar card included is for 1982, which leads me to personally think it was sold in '81-'82 (but I am not stating that in the listing). It'd be nice if the warranty paper was filled out (location, date, etc.) but it's only hole-punched with the watch's serial number in the corner.

All this to say that yes, the timing is hard to pin down.
Old 27 March 2020, 06:57 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post

Thanks in advance!
It could be considered late 1978 or early 1979

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 10:04 AM   #9
carl5
Banned

Nice post, been willing to ask similar question.
carl5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial number