The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 January 2020, 02:11 AM   #1
AbelGarcia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Santos
On a list to buy a Hulk

Hi fellas, first post here.

I’m looking to buy a Hulk and got on a list here at my nearest authorized dealer in Houston, TX.

Out of both eagerness & helping move up on the list for the hulk I have since gotten a black no-date sub from the same authorized dealer. With plans to sell the black one when I finally get the Hulk.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about selling? I see dealers really low ball, understandably trying to make the most profit.
AbelGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:19 AM   #2
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

I’d say it’s likely you shot yourself in the foot by taking the black sub. AD likely feels you’ve been taken care of. Minimally, it will be a longer wait imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:19 AM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

You could trade it in against your Hulk at your AD when it arrives?

That would be easy and risk free.

I don't think that buying intermediate watches gets you the watch you want any faster. As said above, it could slow yours down. Although, to be honest, I have no idea.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:20 AM   #4
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Selling to grey/trusted seller is easiest but less money. Or u can try to sell to friends and strangers...which adds an element of risk
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:24 AM   #5
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I would straight up offer it back to your AD, since you REALLY want the hulk. These days may ADs are trying to provide many customers watches...sometimes it might not be EXACTLY what they are after but by simply offering something they have - if it is accepted, you will likely get pushed down the list for something else.

ADs have a tough job these days with limited inventories, etc to make everyone happy.

I’ve said for years to several friends, don’t buy a watch, just to buy a watch. Buy what you want the FIRST time.

There is always the TS route here - which there is absolutely nothing wrong with...but I’d recommend the AD route first. Several of them are working to get into more streamlined pre-owned sales, and I think that will be something we are likely to see more of, and the mainstream application of in 2020, to help begin to normalize the hype and HUGE premiums. Premiums, aren’t going anywhere either.

Just my .02
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:24 AM   #6
Vicente
"TRF" Member

I think a summary of the responses you will get is that there is no list, you need to spend $$$ to be considered for hulk( not just buying a sub) and you need to go grey( unless you are willing to wait for years). As to your sub, I dont think you will make any profit, as the markup of grey is only around 1 k to 1.5 k ( unless you sell privately)
Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:25 AM   #7
JayHantz
"TRF" Member

Watch: @Escapementt
IMO I think that you should have passed on the Sub. But, I’d reach out to some TS here and see what they’ll give you. I figure you’ll come out about even money wise.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:25 AM   #8
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
I’d keep the black no date sub and the hulk. Both fantastic pieces
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:33 AM   #9
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
You can try to sell it here. Although many members will not wire you money since you are really new, maybe someone in Houston can meet you to buy it.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:41 AM   #10
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Trade your sub for the hulk on the gray market.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:44 AM   #11
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
What you did makes no sense. In today’s market buying a Sub from an AD means nothing to them. So, you didn’t impress the AD with your Sub purchase and now you have to sell it at a loss and you are no closer to your hulk. You should have just paid the gray premium with the money you are going to lose on the Sub.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:45 AM   #12
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
On a list to buy a Hulk

Trade in value of your sub is basically what you paid including taxes. No profit as that only leaves $1000 for the dealer after paying shipping each way.

Edit: you should follow the advice above and trade for gray hulk. OC and Gentlemen have reasonable trade in rates.
Old 26 January 2020, 02:46 AM   #13
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I wouldn’t worry about it just yet. It’s highly unlikely you will get the call soon for hulk. It might be awhile. Houston is a big market like Dallas so lots of people looking for Hulks in your area. I would say you got very lucky with the sub as is. Congrats from a fellow Texan. Enjoy this site it’s great
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:53 AM   #14
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I prefer the one you own already over the LV
Old 26 January 2020, 03:02 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Whatever you do, do not let the AD know you will sell what you have once you get the Green Sub. I would not even suggest a trade back through them. They want to place these pieces with customers who want them and will keep them.

Taking the Black Sub was a mistake if you did not really want it. As others said, puts you back at the end of the line as dealers try to allocate scarce watches among all their good customers.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 03:39 AM   #16
djgallo
Banned

I agree that the fastest way to get where you want to be is....trade your sub for a Hulk with a Trusted Seller here on the Sales Forum. You’ll have what you want without all the bulls**t!
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 03:52 AM   #17
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeikoBake View Post
I’d keep the black no date sub and the hulk. Both fantastic pieces
This ^^^
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 04:39 AM   #18
tp0821
"TRF" Member

I think Calatrava hit it on the head; definitely don't sell the Black Sub before you're able to get the Hulk. However small your chances are of getting the Hulk now, it will evaporate if somehow the AD finds out you "flipped" the sub.
tp0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 04:45 AM   #19
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelGarcia View Post

I’m looking to buy a Hulk and got on a list here at my nearest authorized dealer in Houston, TX.

Out of both eagerness & helping move up on the list for the hulk I have since gotten a black no-date sub from the same authorized dealer. With plans to sell the black one when I finally get the Hulk.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about selling? I see dealers really low ball, understandably trying to make the most profit.
Quickest route is Bob’s or Watchbox. You’d get more through a private party either on TRF or Craigslist. May I also recommend keeping the watch for a while, enjoying it, and once you get the Hulk, you might realize you really like the sub and it’s a great part of your collection.
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #20
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

114060 and 116610LV.......HOT pair!

Ps, you may have a LONGGGGG wait for your hulk so I wouldn’t stress.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:36 AM   #21
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Well...in that you have purchased one of the most iconic watches in history at MSRP it’s not that bad a day. I’d wear it and love it and take a breath and see what the next year brings. I’ve been waiting on a Hulk for about eight months now. A lot can happen in a year, my friend. I have a feeling you’ll be just fine.

Good luck with it!
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 07:18 AM   #22
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
I think you are going to be disappointed. Buying a sort after waitlist model (however short) is not going to open any doors for your Hulk. Like another member has said, they have already given you a hot item. If you wanted to open doors, then you should go negotiated a bundle deal. Or at least buy something like a lady DJ or other brand. Buying a hot item doesn't really give you any brownie points for your Hulk.

In summary, buying anything can be flipped for profit/cost price, is not going to open doors.
Old 26 January 2020, 08:19 AM   #23
mat355
"TRF" Member

Great post. I did almost the exact same thing. I currently have an Explorer II which I purchased pre-owned and I really want a brand new Hulk. As we all know they are very difficult to get, so I built a relationship with a sales guy at the AD. He said repeatedly they reserve all the SS models for existing clients. Randomly, he texted that had a no date sub and asked if I was interested and I purchased it so I could build purchase history with them. I do NOT plan to sell the no date, but told him I still want a Hulk.....

That isn't the first AD that told me to get any SS model you need to have previous purchase history.

I think you made the right move.
mat355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 08:45 AM   #24
AbelGarcia
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses

I’m overwhelmed by the amount of responses

Thank you all for your input.

So at this particular dealer I was told there was 22 people on this list for the hulk making me 23

In the year that it took to get the 114060 I only moved up one place and the sales rep said buying that sub moved me up to number 16. I saw it as building some type of sales history with them.

Is this not common practice?

Also, I’ll take your advice & check in with the dealer in person to see if they will buy it back for ya trade up. And also to check my place in line.
Old 26 January 2020, 08:46 AM   #25
AbelGarcia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat355 View Post
Great post. I did almost the exact same thing. I currently have an Explorer II which I purchased pre-owned and I really want a brand new Hulk. As we all know they are very difficult to get, so I built a relationship with a sales guy at the AD. He said repeatedly they reserve all the SS models for existing clients. Randomly, he texted that had a no date sub and asked if I was interested and I purchased it so I could build purchase history with them. I do NOT plan to sell the no date, but told him I still want a Hulk.....

That isn't the first AD that told me to get any SS model you need to have previous purchase history.

I think you made the right move.

That’s about what I was told. Maybe not the same practice all over. Thanks!
Old 26 January 2020, 08:57 AM   #26
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
What you did makes no sense. In today’s market buying a Sub from an AD means nothing to them. So, you didn’t impress the AD with your Sub purchase and now you have to sell it at a loss and you are no closer to your hulk. You should have just paid the gray premium with the money you are going to lose on the Sub.
Yes, when you think about it, you'll be selling it back at a loss unless you sell privately. That loss could be the magic number for the premium charged if you went grey market.

If you sell privately, you'll break even at the very least on the black sub.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:08 AM   #27
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

So at this particular dealer I was told there was 22 people on this list for the hulk making me 23

In the year that it took to get the 114060 I only moved up one place and the sales rep said buying that sub moved me up to number 16. I saw it as building some type of sales history with them.

Also, I’ll take your advice & check in with the dealer in person to see if they will buy it back for ya trade up. And also to check my place in line.

I think this was the sales rep’s way of telling you that it’s very unlikely you’ll get a hulk while not actually saying that. Quick math on what you were told equates to a 23 year wait for the hulk that was just reduced to a 16 year wait.... the best thing to do here may be to just wear the black sub and enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:26 AM   #28
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:

Buys a Sub from an AD does not get you ANYTHING! Paying for something that is worth more than you paid isn’t impressive to them and frankly doesn’t do them any good. Like others have said if you bought some jewelry or less desirable watches you might be looked at as a worthwhile customer to give a LVC to. Literally anyone with credit can walk into any AD and say “I’ll take all your Subs, GMT’s and Daytona’s.” And that means absolutely nothing. That’s a loss for the dealer.

And, “lines” are total nonsense. Do you really think the AD has a piece of paper that he is crossing out and moving up and down names on?
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:42 AM   #29
PNBLWZD
"TRF" Member

There’s a nice used August 2019 hulk for sale in the classified section in Houston you should check out.
PNBLWZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 10:12 AM   #30
AbelGarcia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNBLWZD View Post
There’s a nice used August 2019 hulk for sale in the classified section in Houston you should check out.
Thanks