The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 February 2020, 04:22 PM   #1
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

AD damages clasp while sizing on day of purchase

So, in advance, please refrain from making any comments like, get over it, it was bound to happen anyway (especially considering that is not true based on information you will read below), you're being OCD, it's just a watch , it gives character battle scares, etc.

I have included a photo of the clasp, with 3M tape over it. I'm VERY careful with my watches, and I am not a fan of polishing. Hence, I put 3M helicopter tape because I'm always at a desk and I do a lot of desk driving. To that end, the whole, it would have happened anyway really doesn't apply to me here, fortunately or unfortunately.

The AD took the plastics off and then went to size the watch herself. I do not know whether it was the SA or another agent at the ad who caused the minor damage on the clasp. I know she got help sizing it.

Detail of damage:

It's about three scratches, at the PCL as well as the brushed area. It can only be seen when the light hits it at a certain angle. So if I'm in a lit room, and I twist my wrist, it doesn't necessarily mean that it can be seen. Light literally has to hit it For to show, so it's not particularly deep.

Background / relationship

I'm really friendly with my SA. They have been really good to me and I have been really good to them, and I don't want to leave a bad taste in their mouth. So I am not trying to be demanding or annoying, but at the same time, I'm disappointed that this happened, and that extra care wasn't taken. Plus, I don't know whether it was SA or another agent.

Things that are not an option:

Polishing or buffing it out.

How do you think I should proceed? It obviously bothering me enough that I am posting this ....

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. P.s. For those wondering why I put helicopter tape, because I want to protect my jewelry, to keep it shiny new and sparkly, somewhat in line with me putting 3M on my phone that is 1/20th the value.
Old 16 February 2020, 04:29 PM   #2
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I’m not anal about scratches but that would be unacceptable for me. I’m sure the AD will make it right one way or another, especially if they value you as a customer. But I hate to say that once you leave the store it’s not their problem. From a business point of view you could have done that anywhere. It’s a shame that they didn’t own up to the mistake. Whoever did that obviously knew it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 February 2020, 04:31 PM   #3
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
If polishing isn't an option, buy another clasp and move on.
Old 16 February 2020, 04:31 PM   #4
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Wait I'm confused. Did you put the tape before or after the scratch? You could possibly ask for a new clasp since it's their fault. Friendly or not, they weren't careful enough sizing your watch.

I guess it's true there is a market out there for taping watches lol. But seriously, I will be so impressed if you never scratched your watch even with tape all over it. Like really, really impressed
Old 16 February 2020, 04:32 PM   #5
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I’m not anal about scratches but that would be unacceptable for me. I’m sure the AD will make it right one way or another, especially if they value you as a customer. But I hate to say that once you leave the store it’s not their problem. From a business point of view you could have done that anywhere. It’s a shame that they didn’t own up to the mistake. Whoever did that obviously knew it happened.

I'm absolutely 100% sure it was them, as I wore the watch out of the store, and went straight home wearing long-sleeve not making contact with anything, and saw it when the light was beaming while I'm putting on the 3M tape the night of the purchase.

I don't think they would try to argue that it was my fault or do to my mishandling. But it was not captured by me at the time. There SA admitted that she was having some problems sizing it, and it took so long, because the attack was out to lunch and then she came back and then after some more time passed, it was finally completed.
Old 16 February 2020, 04:33 PM   #6
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
Wait I'm confused. Did you put the tape before or after the scratch? You could possibly ask for a new clasp since it's their fault. Friendly or not, they weren't careful enough sizing your watch.

I guess it's true there is a market out there for taping watches lol. But seriously, I will be so impressed if you never scratched your watch even with tape all over it. Like really, really impressed
I put the tape on the night of the purchase. In other words, I purchase the watch, to put the scratch on it, I put the tape on later that night, over the scratches
Old 16 February 2020, 04:40 PM   #7
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
Hi Basel, I think you accidentally proposed that I purchase a replacement clasp at my own expense for damage inflicted on my property which was no fault of my own, because polishing,removing microns and altering the ORIGINAL FACTORY finish was not an option
Old 16 February 2020, 04:42 PM   #8
Oldfellow
2024 Pledge Member

I would be upset if that happened to me.
Given that you enjoy a good relationship with the AD, the best approach would be to visit personally and discuss in a low key manner.
I would be satisfied with a new clasp.
Good luck.
Old 16 February 2020, 04:50 PM   #9
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
Wait I'm confused. Did you put the tape before or after the scratch? You could possibly ask for a new clasp since it's their fault
Come on guys - its a scratch, it will polish out - no way does it require a new clasp nor would the AD be expected to supply one for such minor cosmetic damage.

OP - please do not think this is a post dismissing or trivialising your distress at this incident, it is not.

I fully get you are upset with the scratch, as I would be also, but I am just trying to point out that to expect or demand a new clasp because of it is waaaay over the top and unreasonable.

Hope you get it sorted one way or the other.

instagram: max.parkin
Old 16 February 2020, 04:55 PM   #10
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
But Max, isn’t a clasp a trivial thing to Rolex?

If the AD damaged it, it would mean nothing to them to replace it?

Old 16 February 2020, 04:57 PM   #11
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Come on guys - its a scratch, it will polish out - no way does it require a new clasp nor would the AD be expected to supply one for such minor cosmetic damage.

OP - please do not think this is a post dismissing or trivialising your distress at this incident, it is not.

I fully get you are upset with the scratch, as I would be also, but I am just trying to point out that to expect or demand a new clasp because of it is waaaay over the top and unreasonable.

Hope you get it sorted one way or the other.

It's not Rolex USA, it's not RSC, we are talking a private jeweler. We call them ADs.
Old 16 February 2020, 04:57 PM   #12
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
There is no reasonable advice that can be offered that will meet your criteria.

You are likely to be very disappointed with the ADs course of action or lack thereof.

Good luck sir
Old 16 February 2020, 05:01 PM   #13
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

How will you prove to them that they cause the scratching ? For all they know you took it home and then decided to wrap it up in plastic like my grandma's sofa after scratching it yourself. I think you may have an argument if you pointed out the damage at the time of collecting the watch. It may be difficult to sell them on the fact that they were at fault which I believe you in saying it happened during sizing.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:02 PM   #14
Oldfellow
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

You are likely to be very disappointed with the ADs course of action or lack thereof.

Good luck sir
Afraid that appears to be the case.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:02 PM   #15
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

Good luck sir
Believe it or not, I was literally telling my SA how anal I was, and how I put plastic on my watches because I'm against polishing and they said how they ASVISE AGAINST IT TOO. It's all pretty interesting and slightly unfortunate
Old 16 February 2020, 05:03 PM   #16
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

I fail to understand how the AD would have scratched the clasp during sizing. Regardless, this is why I size my own watches.

Unfortunately I don't think you have a leg to stand on since you didn't catch the scratch until later that evening. Not to mention there was a period of time between the sizing and you applying the tape - I have so many scratches on my clasp from dings I don't even feel 90% of the time. It happens.

Overall take it up with your AD. We can give you all the advice in the world but your post clearly states you want a solution other than being told, to wear the watch or polish the watch. The only people who can provide you such solution are the people you believe to have damaged your watch.
Omega Speedmaster Chronoscope 329.30.43.51.03.001
Old 16 February 2020, 05:05 PM   #17
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Remove the silly tape so that we can evaluate the damage caused at the AD .

Completely unacceptable to scratch a clasp in resizing by an AD.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:06 PM   #18
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawatomi View Post
How will you prove to them that they cause the scratching ? For all they know you took it home and then decided to wrap it up in plastic like my grandma's sofa after scratching it yourself. I think you may have an argument if you pointed out the damage at the time of collecting the watch. It may be difficult to sell them on the fact that they were at fault which I believe you in saying it happened during sizing.
Very good. What standard are you using? If I would have pointed out there it was still just be an "argument" and not dispositive, still. No worries about proof. That's not my concern. But I understand essentially from where you're coming but I don't anticipate that as being an issue. And, if it would become an issue, then I would have to turn it on, so I really hope that wouldn't be the case.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:09 PM   #19
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And it would cost then about 600-700 dollars actually
Old 16 February 2020, 05:10 PM   #20
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsoprobro View Post

Unfortunately I don't think you have a leg to stand on since you didn't catch the scratch until later that evening. Not to mention there was a period of time between the sizing and you applying the tape -
Correct .Best is to get a loupe and inspect before leaving the premises.
Paid for left the premises means all is good .
Display models (The few they have ) gets handled daily by all sales persons customers etc .I have seen new watches at ADs of many brands with scratches and dings .
Old 16 February 2020, 05:13 PM   #21
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Correct .Best is to get a loupe and inspect before leaving the premises.

Paid for left the premises means all is good .

Display models (The few they have ) gets handled daily by all sales persons customers etc .I have seen new watches at ADs of many brands with scratches and dings .
Correct good sir. This is straight from the coffin. The people saying these things are firing me up, it's like egging me on. I'm trying to control myself.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:13 PM   #22
Always
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gorgeous MOP
I had a similar problem. Went to get my watch resized the day after purchase. The lady at the AD came back with my watch but it now had a scratch around the screw! It bugged me but i politely left. Took the watch to Rolex repair centre the following day and they were awesome. They polished out the scratch...good as new! I would highly recommend taking it to a Rolex repair centre.

Old 16 February 2020, 05:14 PM   #23
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
It's not Rolex USA, it's not RSC, we are talking a private jeweler. We call them ADs.
An AD is authorised by Rolex to distribute their watches and are also authorised to work on Rolex watches to various levels based on their staff training.
If they worked on your Rolex watch then they must have had the required training and should stand by the outcome.

Old 16 February 2020, 05:16 PM   #24
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
An AD is authorised by Rolex to distribute their watches and are also authorised to work on Rolex watches to various levels based on their staff training.
If they worked on your Rolex watch then they must have had the required training and should stand by the outcome.
What training ? They employ sales people at the lowest wages.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:16 PM   #25
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Correct good sir. This is straight from the coffin. The people saying these things are firing me up, it's like egging me on. I'm trying to control myself.
I am Shocked! Shocked!
Old 16 February 2020, 05:17 PM   #26
seasubmariner
Banned

Thats very sad to see it. I also would like to thank you for the 3m helicopter tape idea.

The scratch is not a usual hairline scratch. It is deep all way along and very unaccaptable.

I would first ask for a new watch, if no new watch then I would ask for a new clasp, if no new watch or no new clasp then I would tell them that I would not proceed with the purchase as this is a damaged watch which we did not make the deal for!

Giving them 3 options would be nice and friendly and you would not loose your future business with them.

If I were you mate, I would still immediately go back to the AD and still ask for a resolution.

I would point out two statements:

first: I would tell them I noticed the scratch on the spot, but hesitated to raise it to them not to cause problems in our future business, but then regretted about my decision. I would tell this to them honestly !

second: I would state that the scratch is an obvious screwdriver scratch and not a scratch that could be caused by normal wear which is easy to see. By stating that point I would try my chance to get the clasp replaced at least.

If no resolution with the AD, I would stop wearing the watch. Get the price of the new clasp, then I would put the old clasp for sale, once I sell the old clasp I would buy the new clasp. If I can not sell the old clasp I would try to sell the whole watch with minimum loss. if the loss exceeds the price of the new clasp then I would just buy a new clasp.

Sometimes we are too nice, kind and make wrong decisions too quick then regret. This is one of those situations.

I just shared my opinions. Please do not be angry at me mate. That s what I would do.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:17 PM   #27
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Remove the silly tape so that we can evaluate the damage caused at the AD .

Completely unacceptable to scratch a clasp in resizing by an AD.
Here are a couple of more photos, when the light is not hitting it, it disappears. Hope this gives you a better idea.see how it disappears? That gives you an idea that it is not terribly deep.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:18 PM   #28
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always View Post

The lady at the AD came back with my watch but it now had a scratch around the screw! It bugged me but i politely left.

Thats very nice of you ,I wouldnt have been that polite !!
Old 16 February 2020, 05:20 PM   #29
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

I'll give you $350 for your time clasp so it will soften the impact of the new one. Send me your PayPal
Old 16 February 2020, 05:21 PM   #30
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here are a couple of more photos, when the light is not hitting it, it disappears. Hope this gives you a better idea.
Maybe the scratch is on the tape
Closed Thread