The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 February 2020, 05:22 PM   #31
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
I'll give you $350 for your time clasp so it will soften the impact of the new one. Send me your PayPal
So cute. I want to pinch your cheeks.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:22 PM   #32
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Maybe the scratch is on the tape
Lol. I wish.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:27 PM   #33
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
So cute. I want to pinch your cheeks.
Can send now for your scratched up clap. You know you can't live looking at that, here to help you bro.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:29 PM   #34
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can send now for your scratched up clap. You know you can't live looking at that, here to help you bro.
Omg I love you...God bless you. I'm just going to send you the clasp. Keep the money. I want to help more.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:32 PM   #35
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

I don't accept charity I provide it. All for you my brother that's a nice watch and i want you to be happy. Always an open offer, think how much less worry you would have with a scratch free clasp.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:35 PM   #36
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
But Max, isn’t a clasp a trivial thing to Rolex?

If the AD damaged it, it would mean nothing to them to replace it?

My point is the ‘damage’ is purely cosmetic.

It doesn’t affect the working parts or integrity of the clasp - it’s a surface blemish that will polish out & you would never tell it was ever there.

It’s like if you took your car to the dealer for a service & when you got home noticed a scuff on the bodywork near the engine bay that you know in your own mind wasn’t there before.

What do you do?

Go back & complain to the service manager?

Two things will happen - they either deny all knowledge then it’s just your word against theirs, or they will do the decent thing & own up.

What will then happen is they will offer to buff the scuff out or if it goes deeper repaint the body panel.

What they won’t do & no one will expect them to, is they won’t replace the whole panel because it’s not physical damage that affects the integrity of the panel, it’s purely cosmetic.

Same with this clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Old 16 February 2020, 05:46 PM   #37
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't accept charity I provide it. All for you my brother that's a nice watch and i want you to be happy. Always an open offer, think how much less worry you would have with a scratch free clasp.
You're too funny, with a heart of gold. Open offer to have you over anytime you like. My house is yours. Come.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:47 PM   #38
Always
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gorgeous MOP
Quote:
Here are a couple of more photos, when the light is not hitting it, it disappears. Hope this gives you a better idea.see how it disappears? That gives you an idea that it is not terribly deep.

I highly recommend getting it polished out. The scratch on my watch was constantly visible yet the repair centre were able to make it disappear.

Old 16 February 2020, 05:47 PM   #39
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
My point is the ‘damage’ is purely cosmetic.

It doesn’t affect the working parts or integrity of the clasp - it’s a surface blemish that will polish out & you would never tell it was ever there.

It’s like if you took your car to the dealer for a service & when you got home noticed a scuff on the bodywork near the engine bay that you know in your own mind wasn’t there before.

What do you do?

Go back & complain to the service manager?

Two things will happen - they either deny all knowledge then it’s just your word against theirs, or they will do the decent thing & own up.

What will then happen is they will offer to buff the scuff out or if it goes deeper repaint the body panel.

What they won’t do & no one will expect them to, is they won’t replace the whole panel because it’s not physical damage that affects the integrity of the panel, it’s purely cosmetic.

Same with this clasp.

New clasp is not out of the question, but I have no doubt that it will tarnish the relationship, and I wouldn't want to propose that idea. Perhaps they would offer. I don't know....
Old 16 February 2020, 05:47 PM   #40
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Come on guys - its a scratch, it will polish out - no way does it require a new clasp nor would the AD be expected to supply one for such minor cosmetic damage.

OP - please do not think this is a post dismissing or trivialising your distress at this incident, it is not.

I fully get you are upset with the scratch, as I would be also, but I am just trying to point out that to expect or demand a new clasp because of it is waaaay over the top and unreasonable.

Hope you get it sorted one way or the other.

His deal was to buy a new watch without any damage. This is a damage as the scratch is deep, nearly all way along and possible to see from any angle so easily. If it was possible to see only under sun from some angles then it would be called as a hairline scratch and could be accepted. Correct me if I m wrong. Polishing would fix it but he does not have to accept it as this was not the deal.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:49 PM   #41
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasubmariner View Post
His deal was to buy a new watch without any damage. This is a damage as the scratch is deep, nearly all way along and possible to see from any angle so easily. If it was possible to see only under sun from some angles then it would be called as a hairline scratch and could be accepted. Correct me if I m wrong. Polishing would fix it but he does not have to accept it as this was not the deal.
So I guess it's a hairline...it CANNOT be seen in all light...and when light is directly on it, it can't be seen at all angles but only some...just want to clarify
Old 16 February 2020, 05:50 PM   #42
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
I'm absolutely 100% sure it was them, as I wore the watch out of the store, and went straight home wearing long-sleeve not making contact with anything, and saw it when the light was beaming while I'm putting on the 3M tape the night of the purchase.

I don't think they would try to argue that it was my fault or do to my mishandling. But it was not captured by me at the time. There SA admitted that she was having some problems sizing it, and it took so long, because the attack was out to lunch and then she came back and then after some more time passed, it was finally completed.

If they won’t dispute the fact that they did it then they absolutely should resolve it for you. Especially since they value your relationship.
However, if it’s not that deep Cape Cod will take it right out.

Old 16 February 2020, 05:51 PM   #43
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
New clasp is not out of the question, but I have no doubt that it will tarnish the relationship, and I wouldn't want to propose that idea. Perhaps they would offer. I don't know....
Dont want to ruin the chances of getting a hard to get in the future ?
Your AD is most likely reading this anyway .
Old 16 February 2020, 05:52 PM   #44
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
[QUOTE=42itus;10380828]If they won’t dispute the fact that they did it then they absolutely should resolve it for you. Especially since they value your relationship.

Can’t use Cap Cod on the brushed surface.

Old 16 February 2020, 05:52 PM   #45
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Cape cod with definitely take it out BUT, if I'm not proficient in it, I heard it leaves these strange noticable differences when compared to the factory finish. That it's not exactly the same under jewelers loop.
Old 16 February 2020, 05:52 PM   #46
Always
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always View Post
I highly recommend getting it polished out. The scratch on my watch was constantly visible yet the repair centre were able to make it disappear.

Alternatively, you can raise the issue with the store and see if they can help resolve the issue. It's always worth trying to discuss it with them. The worst that can happen is that they do nothing and deny everything. At least you will know where you stand with them and you can then decide what you want to do next. The Key thing is to not stress or get angry. If they are willing to help, they will.

Old 16 February 2020, 05:54 PM   #47
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Old 16 February 2020, 05:56 PM   #48
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Dont want to ruin the chances of getting a hard to get in the future ?
Your AD is most likely reading this anyway .
In the one in God knows what chance my AD is reading this, how does this post in the slightest affect my relationship with my AD? Especially when no one here knows my AD. Thinking
Old 16 February 2020, 06:00 PM   #49
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Not sure what you want from us on the forum - go back to the AD and seek an amicable resolution.
Old 16 February 2020, 06:01 PM   #50
Always
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the one in God knows what chance my AD is reading this, how does this post in the slightest affect my relationship with my AD? Thinking

This post will not negatively affect your relationship with your AD. The way in which they deal with your issue on this occasion will dictate whether you actually go ahead with any purchases in the future, depending on their level of customer service towards you today.

Old 16 February 2020, 06:05 PM   #51
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This post will not negatively affect your relationship with your AD. The way in which they deal with your issue on this occasion will dictate whether you actually go ahead with any purchases in the future, depending on their level of customer service towards you today.

Yeah... honestly, even if they don't do anything for me because of my limitations, it would make me feel better for them to simply know and acknowledge what happened. Mistakes happen. I will inform them and hear them out.

Thanks everyone for you feedback.
Old 16 February 2020, 06:08 PM   #52
Golf&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719
You left with the store with the watch, you could have caused the damage yourself.
Ask your AD how they would like to resolve it.
Old 16 February 2020, 06:11 PM   #53
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
You don't have to ask us to refrain from making comments like "get over it..." because I personally think getting over it should and would only be applied if I do the scratch to my watch not the AD while resizing it.
Who gets over a scratch door or panel of a brand new car upon delivery?
When I was taking delivery of my Rolex, the watch went back and forth between the showroom and the tech department of the Rolex Boutique 3 times in order to make the perfect fit and glidelock adjusted to my liking. At the end of the process, I got the watche's diver extension removed, bracelet resized with all original stickers still on the watch. I was surprised so see that even the links and extension they removed had stickers on them too!
This is how a resizing job should be done.
I don't know if your AD will recognize the the scratch as their fault because you didn't noticed it while still there, but you can try and see what they say.
All that said, you can still consider yourself lucky as the scratch is on the clasp not on the case, see, there's always a positive way to look at things :-)
The clasp can be polished without any harm or worst case scenario it can be replaced, a case can not.
I would decently call them at least to make them be careful next time they handle such a task.
But hey, I think you own us a wrist shot of the actual watch don't you?

Quote:
So, in advance, please refrain from making any comments like, get over it, it was bound to happen anyway (especially considering that is not true based on information you will read below), you're being OCD, it's just a watch , it gives character battle scares, etc.

I have included a photo of the clasp, with 3M tape over it. I'm VERY careful with my watches, and I am not a fan of polishing. Hence, I put 3M helicopter tape because I'm always at a desk and I do a lot of desk driving. To that end, the whole, it would have happened anyway really doesn't apply to me here, fortunately or unfortunately.

The AD took the plastics off and then went to size the watch herself. I do not know whether it was the SA or another agent at the ad who caused the minor damage on the clasp. I know she got help sizing it.

Detail of damage:

It's about three scratches, at the PCL as well as the brushed area. It can only be seen when the light hits it at a certain angle. So if I'm in a lit room, and I twist my wrist, it doesn't necessarily mean that it can be seen. Light literally has to hit it For to show, so it's not particularly deep.

Background / relationship

I'm really friendly with my SA. They have been really good to me and I have been really good to them, and I don't want to leave a bad taste in their mouth. So I am not trying to be demanding or annoying, but at the same time, I'm disappointed that this happened, and that extra care wasn't taken. Plus, I don't know whether it was SA or another agent.

Things that are not an option:

Polishing or buffing it out.

How do you think I should proceed? It obviously bothering me enough that I am posting this ....

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. P.s. For those wondering why I put helicopter tape, because I want to protect my jewelry, to keep it shiny new and sparkly, somewhat in line with me putting 3M on my phone that is 1/20th the value.
Old 16 February 2020, 06:14 PM   #54
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:

Please dont worry mate. If clasp replacement is not out of the question, then try to get it replaced. It will not tarnish your future business.

Honestly telling the reason why you did not want to raise the issue straight away, and being very nice, calm and kind with them will likely get you a new clasp and you will not loose each others trust. If you are even 1% unsure whether the scratch occured after the purchase, then do nothing ofcourse as it might not be their fault.
Old 16 February 2020, 06:14 PM   #55
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
You don't have to ask us to refrain from making comments like "get over it..." because I personally think getting over it should and would only be applied if I do the scratch to my watch not the AD while resizing it.

Who gets over a scratch door or panel of a brand new car upon delivery?

When I was taking delivery of my Rolex, the watch went back and forth between the showroom and the tech department of the Rolex Boutique 3 times in order to make the perfect fit and glidelock adjusted to my liking. At the end of the process, I got the watche's diver extension removed, bracelet resized with all original stickers still on the watch. I was surprised so see that even the links and extension they removed had stickers on them too!

This is how a resizing job should be done.

I don't know if your AD will recognize the the scratch as their fault because you didn't noticed is while still in boutique, but you can try and see what they say.

All that said, you can still consider yourself lucky as the scratch is on the clasp not on the case, see, there's always a positive way to look at things :-)

The clasp can be polished without any harm or worst case scenario it can be changed, a case can not.
Totally agree. Case is perfect. All other links are fine as well. Just the clasp. For 99.9 percent of owners, that scratch with have happened there eventually but me being me super careful and anal, with the helicopter tape and all. :)
Old 16 February 2020, 06:23 PM   #56
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
[QUOTE=directioneng;10380830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
If they won’t dispute the fact that they did it then they absolutely should resolve it for you. Especially since they value your relationship.

Can’t use Cap Cod on the brushed surface.

My bad. I thought the scratch was on the polished part of the clasp.

Old 16 February 2020, 06:24 PM   #57
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

It is.... it's on both
Old 16 February 2020, 06:34 PM   #58
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
I had a similar problem. Went to get my watch resized the day after purchase. The lady at the AD came back with my watch but it now had a scratch around the screw! It bugged me but i politely left. Took the watch to Rolex repair centre the following day and they were awesome. They polished out the scratch...good as new! I would highly recommend taking it to a Rolex repair centre.

There is a saying...The faster the horse runs the less shit will drop to the ground....Which means the job done faster there would be always less care which will cause mistakes.

From all of this. I highly recommend all adjusting your bracelets yourself which I did upon purchase for the first time without leaving smallest mark even on the screwhead lines because I took my time and applied minimum possible torque without any rush which is the key point.
Old 16 February 2020, 06:35 PM   #59
Always
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasubmariner View Post
There is a saying...The faster the horse runs the less shit will drop to the ground....Which means the job done faster there would be always less care which will cause mistakes.

From all of this. I highly recommend all adjusting your bracelets yourself which I did upon purchase for the first time without leaving smallest mark even on the screwhead lines because I took my time and applied minimum possible torque without any rush which is the key point.

Thanks

Old 16 February 2020, 06:42 PM   #60
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Sloppy on the AD's part that's for sure. Tell them your so upset that you better be bumped to first on the list for a white dial SST Daytona;)

One of many to come...
Closed Thread