The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 27 February 2020, 11:43 AM   #151
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoc26 View Post
I doubt if Rolex gives a rat$%^# about flippers, had to be the AD. These are not one off limited editions, these are mass produced items and what the purchaser does afterwards is nobody's business. Could you imagine ordering a Ford Raptor, deciding you didn't like it, listing it for resale and Ford Motor Company informing you that you can no longer buy a Ford ever again
Agreed. This makes no sense. You can buy a Porsche GT3 for MSRP, drive it for a few thousand miles, sell it at a profit (sometimes back to the dealer you bought it from), and then buy another allocation Porsche like a GT3 RS from another Porsche dealer or the same one. And Porsche does not care.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:48 AM   #152
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Does any AD or watch company care about all the stuff they make which tanks on the secondary market and results in big loses to their customers. I don't know, but why doesn't anybody talk about making them whole. A extremely small segment of the watch market holds value or has a premium and all these folks have bees in their bonnet that someone other than them may make a profit. Really quite incredible when you ponder it since they created the shortages in the first place.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:58 AM   #153
Turnaround
"TRF" Member

Banned from my AD

So they’re trying to sell you a 2nd hand watch that someone else bought and then sold (for a profit I might add) and then scold you for doing the same thing?

Rolex lists it for £10,000.

https://m.rolex.com/watches/cosmogra...00ln-0002.html
Old 27 February 2020, 12:04 PM   #154
nick800
"TRF" Member

I repeat, I don’t believe you
Old 27 February 2020, 12:08 PM   #155
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
I have talked with Rolex Boutique’s when traveling, and my AD which I trust and have worked with for many years - Rolex *hates* the Grey Market. Yes, it’s their own creation to a degree but they can only produce so many watches. Throw flames at this if you like.

Rolex has created a small team, and spent upwards of 1mm (pennies to them) on cracking down on flippers. Not necessarily those looking to sell vintage, but those looking to profit on hot models with a quick sale. They want the watches to go to collectors, not flippers. I feel bad for the OP - his situation is a result of the situation not an addition to it, so if you can’t beat ‘em he joined ‘em. I get it and that’s a situation where it hurts.

ADs don’t want to be punished by Rolex - so if Rolex catches a flipper (using S/N) they will quite literally contact the AD and ask them not to sell allocated models to that person. Hence, the banned customer. My AD has had to ban top customers for PP and Rolex (only 2 this year) and lost business as a result - but not a worse result than losing a brand or allocated models for all customers.

I totally agree and support that by Rolex. But there has to be a statute or limitations on this one. 2 days, obviously a flipper. 2 months, still probably not cool. But a year+ Rolex shouldn’t care not punish their customers.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:03 PM   #156
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsdca View Post
Rolex searching serial numbers on Ebay: no way
AD searching serial numbers on Ebay: very unlikely
Someone frustrated with flippers reporting you to the AD: possible
I agree with this analysis.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:07 PM   #157
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
I repeat, I don’t believe you
I'm glad you stated that again. The first time I didn't believe you.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:08 PM   #158
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
didnt something like this happen with the new GT40

If I were you at this point I'd just sell it and buy a grey market daytona and be done with it, that is if the dealer was serious.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:19 PM   #159
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Sometimes it doesn't have to be an online advert or ebay listing that allows one to get caught for flipping. Sometimes it's an annoyed potential customer who would have liked to have purchased that Rolex model BADLY that you received instead, and didn't really want it in the first place, and then turned around and sold for a hefty premium.

I'll give you an example. I was in the market for the new SD43. Couldn't find one unless it was at the grey market seller. He pulled it out from the showcase and the ink on the warrantee card of the previous owner purchased from the local AD hadn't even dried. He was selling it at an inflated $3000 on the MSRP. I walked out pissed.

The AD who sold it to this individual was down the block, so I went in there asking about the SD43. I told them I was disappointed they could not get me the watch. Funny, they had an SD43 in stock but told me it was "already spoken for", but if I paid in full today, they'd get me the next one. That's when I lost it and told them an SD43 from their location was being sold at the grey dealer down the block for $3000 more on msrp. I believe I even blurted out the name on the warrantee. Then I walked out.

Found an SD43 from another dealer a few weeks later. They sold it to me. That was 2 years ago and I still have the watch.

Since that purchase, this AD has come back to me on 2 other occasions asking if I'm interested in various hot Rolex pieces. Those pieces are not on my list of wants, so I politely decline saying "I'd rather someone who really wants this piece to get it".

I'm not a collector per say. I just like wearing the brand and the style. There are no safe queens in my collection.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:20 PM   #160
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I want to laugh, but this is F-n sad considering the amount of $ you've spent with the AD.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:24 PM   #161
outdoors_guy
"TRF" Member

I doubt Rolex has to work that hard to get this information. Web scraping software is used by many companies, and if Rolex wanted to build an image processing program to pull the numbers off of scraped images, I don’t think they would have much difficulty. However, a human can also manually review a lot if sales posts in a short time.

As for why Rolex would do this? Rolex is not publicly traded and seems to care a lot about brand in the long run, and some short run pain might be worth it to them. I imagine that they have every interest in finding the right long run equilibrium where the watches sell well enough that ADs are going through stock and there are exactly enough watches to meet the demand of people willing to pay the MSRP. However, that is not necessarily an easy number to find, especially if there is speculation bolstering short term demand. When Rolex does reach this number there will be no room for gray market sellers, ADs will be happy becuase they won’t be stocking non-selling watches, and Rolex watches should hold value pretty well.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:37 PM   #162
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

Complete BS. Stop wasting your life groveling at the AD. Just move on. Remember it's just a watch.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:53 PM   #163
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
What strikes me throughout this whole shortage is the anthropomorphization of Rolex and its ADs. Rolex is a huge corporation that does not care about you or your watch. It cares about your money, and we shouldn't be the least surprised when it acts in this manner.

The same is true of an AD. I know there are some great salespeople with whom we've become friends, but again, the AD doesn't love you, it loves your money. Neither Rolex nor your AD is a watch collector/WIS.

The grey or parallel market affects the perception of the brand, and thus their potential profitability. Why wouldn't Rolex spend nominal funds in a huge upward trending watch market to punish those it deems a threat to their profitability?

Further, we want watches now. Rolex wants to still have a profitable company in 10, 20, 50 years when the tide goes out like it has in the past.

They will and are acting accordingly.
Old 27 February 2020, 02:10 PM   #164
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Because these small ADs are not willing to conform to Rolex criteria for display area, nor are they willing to pay the absurd prices that Rolex charges for display cases, decor, and compulsory staff training.
Oh, so they are protecting their brand? Got it... makes sense why they along with ADs that they deter sales to flippers.
Old 27 February 2020, 02:11 PM   #165
Alan111
"TRF" Member

I would tell the AD to go violently fornicate themselves. They created this problem by selling huge inventory to the grays, and the small 3-watch customer isn't allowed to sell a watch they fall out of? Whether that's the case or not, it's your property and you can exactly as you please. I would go there in person and really give them something to complain about.
Old 27 February 2020, 02:16 PM   #166
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachoneal View Post
i'm glad you stated that again. The first time i didn't believe you.
lol
Old 27 February 2020, 02:17 PM   #167
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
So, just read through 6 pages of this since OP posted and have not seen him contribute anything since. Hmmm. Fishy perhaps.
Old 27 February 2020, 02:26 PM   #168
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddyOC View Post
I'm sorry that does suck. We've heard rumors of this, but you seem to be the first, first-hand experience I've heard of.

I must admit though, I do appreciate that Rolex is trying to crack down on flippers. I don't think the one off flippers are really the issue...it would seem to me the dealers knowingly selling to grey's are the bigger issue. I'm guessing that is one of the reasons they're reducing the ADs nationwide.
I think ADs might be a bit more discreet about banning suspected flippers , they'd probably just tell them that they're well down the waiting list and never deliver a watch for them
Old 27 February 2020, 02:28 PM   #169
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
So, just read through 6 pages of this since OP posted and have not seen him contribute anything since. Hmmm. Fishy perhaps.

He did respond to confirm his eBay listing showed the serial number.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 02:30 PM   #170
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Complete BS. Stop wasting your life groveling at the AD. Just move on. Remember it's just a watch.

I’m with you.

Except I think the OP is full of it. I think this is a total BS story.
Old 27 February 2020, 02:39 PM   #171
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
what’s the supposed purpose of his “troll”? He posted his experience in fairly lengthy detail not sure what else he should contribute... he joined 5 years ago... sometimes people don’t feel the need to post 6 times a day every day
Old 27 February 2020, 02:46 PM   #172
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversteerdawg View Post
This is exactly how Porsche's 918 VIP program worked and how many Ferrari dealers operate. Porsche had a VIP program for customers who bought 918 Spyders where their dealer would get an extra allocation of any hot model (GT2 RS, Speedster, etc.) that the VIP wanted. They cannot not sell the car within a year or they would be removed from the VIP program. They take it so seriously that if the VIP decides they no longer want the VIP allocated car that they ordered, the dealer would have to send the car back to PCNA.

Many Ferrari dealers have a signed agreement with their customers that if they want to sell the car within a predetermined timeframe, they can only sell it back to the dealer or they will lose their preferential status within that dealer.

Right or wrong, this is nothing new in the high demand, low supply luxury goods market, although it is something relatively new in the Rolex world.
Ford has been enforcing resale agreements on their GT recently too.

I'm fine with this type of policy generally. I would sign an agreement to not sell a watch to a third party, but it should be disclosed when you purchase the watch.
Old 27 February 2020, 02:48 PM   #173
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Unpopular opinion: Good riddance. One less flipper out there.
Old 27 February 2020, 02:52 PM   #174
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

My AD has told me they keep a eye on ebay and craigslist. BUT you really have to put alot of info out there. For example one of her customers was selling a batman on eBay, he put the warranty card with his pics and only blanked out the serial and his name. He kept the AD name with address and date. The AD knew by the date. They banned him from the store.
Old 27 February 2020, 03:36 PM   #175
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlatitude View Post
Rolex need to develop a new clasp for the bracelets that has a key lock on it. Only Authorised Dealers have the master key and at the point of purchase the watch (first has it’s stickers removed - all except for one) is sized and then locked to the buyers wrist.

The AD then gets to decide if or when the buyer has spent enough with them and can have the watch removed. The buyers will fall over themselves sucking up to the AD for the privilege and the AD will continue selling hot models out the backdoor of the AD to his grey dealer friends whilst everyone maintains the pretence that they are all trying to control the problem.

I thought this already happening?...

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 27 February 2020, 03:50 PM   #176
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Given the current situation surrounding in-demand models and what I've read on this forum about ADs discouraging flipping, the OP's experience doesn't surprise me.

It also gels with what my own AD has told me.

Not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is.
Old 27 February 2020, 04:04 PM   #177
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
This is garbage behavior considering how many watches and for how long he has been a client. I would go and talk to the AD manager or his superior.
Old 27 February 2020, 04:21 PM   #178
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Screw the AD. Move to Patek. Or grey market.

Old 27 February 2020, 04:22 PM   #179
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crown View Post
I wasn't going to post about this but after a few weeks letting the dust settle and reflecting I thought I would to see what forum members think

Started buying from this particular AD in the uk in 2001 , first purchased a Breitling chronomat evolution, then a Breitling Bentley after that i got the Rolex bug bought....

Bi Metal Sub
Deepsea
Gmt stainless
Gmt Blnr
Seadweller 50th
Gmt Pepsi

I also own further Rolex models not purchased from this specific dealer as some i bought are used

So i have been on the list for a stainless Daytona for 6 years i had been chasing the dealer every 6 months as the ceramic model has become a bit of a grail for me , then last month i was offered a used one at £16.5k which i thought was a very good deal, taking into account recent spending and other commitments i decided i had to let a watch go to justify shelling out on the Daytona

I decided on the Pepsi, i had worn it on only three occasions and was as new so i listed the watch on eBay, i had various interest and calls but after chatting with 2 or 3 potential buyers who were fellow Rolex fans and collectors i decided i couldn't part with it and removed it from eBay with a decision made to wait for the Daytona

The following day i received a surprise call from my AD , expecting good news on the Daytona i took the call , only to be dropped the bombshell that my Pespsi had been spotted on ebay by rolex and i would no longer be able to purchase from them again!!

Now initially i denied this knowing that i would be looked at as a flipper but then came clean and said i had advertised it but changed my mind and removed, told them i had the watch and would bring it through for them to look at if that would put their mind at rest only to be told NO FURTHER PURCHASES END OF...after which i lost it and basically told them to get F***ed

so
That’s what happens.
You’re classed as a “flipper”
Old 27 February 2020, 04:28 PM   #180
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
[QUOTE=brucethemanlee;10409750]Did you not mask your serial number?

It would appear not? or a potential customer was a rolex employee? my Ad told me that "rolex" keeps any eye on these things.
Closed Thread