The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 April 2020, 08:50 PM   #1
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Tudor -Greenland expedition.

I was reading about the Greenland expedition from 1952 - 1954 and looking at some of the surviving reference examples from articles I found on Google.

I happened to look on Ebay to see if there were any references up for sale and I came across this listing.

Does anyone know if this s this a legitimate dial?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Tud...8AAOSwwS5d9pDj
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 12:01 AM   #2
offrdmania

The sellers description looks spot on to me. Dial looks all original to me, not even a repaint
Old 3 April 2020, 01:03 AM   #3
larryccf
"TRF" Member

that is a 7809 with a late 50s dial, same as the one i've got up for sale here on this forum https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=727845
for $550, and mine actually runs - svc history unknown but at least it's working
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 04:02 AM   #4
emersm

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
The sellers description looks spot on to me. Dial looks all original to me, not even a repaint
I was wondering because I have not seen many examples on the internet with the name "Tudor" so boldly affixed to the dial. Most that I have seen have the smaller print on the dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
that is a 7809 with a late 50s dial, same as the one i've got up for sale here on this forum https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=727845
for $550, and mine actually runs - svc history unknown but at least it's working
It's hard for me to tell from the pictures you posted if your reference is steel or steel/gold plated. It is a beauty, for sure.
Old 3 April 2020, 04:27 AM   #5
offrdmania

Very late 50s and into the early 60s had applied letters on the dial instead of printed.
Old 3 April 2020, 04:27 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Just as another datapoint for valuation, I sold a similar watch, but serviced with 2-year warranty and in much better condition, last year for about $750 IIRC.
Old 3 April 2020, 04:55 AM   #7
Vlad
"TRF" Member

7809 was a very popular model and was made in large number of configurations. Here's a gold plated version. Notice that the case back is marked "stainless steel back"

Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 05:06 AM   #8
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersm View Post
I was wondering because I have not seen many examples on the internet with the name "Tudor" so boldly affixed to the dial. Most that I have seen have the smaller print on the dial.

It's hard for me to tell from the pictures you posted if your reference is steel or steel/gold plated. It is a beauty, for sure.
actually, i just noticed the other day, the case itself, where the gold plating has been polished off, the looks to be a bronze or bronze derivative - it's a dark brass color, and definitely not steel

Old 3 April 2020, 05:32 AM   #9
Vlad
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=larryccf;10504894]actually, i just noticed the other day, the case itself, where the gold plating has been polished off, the looks to be a bronze or bronze derivative - it's a dark brass color, and definitely not steel

in this case, Gold/steel implies that the top was base metal that was gold plated and the case back was stainless steel.

Yes, in DJs and other models Gold/Steel can refer to Gold bezel and stainless steel case. In most cased, gold plated watches use base metal underneath. There are some exceptions - Gold Shell watches usually are done over SS. Vermeil (usually Cartier) was gold plating over sterling silver case.
Old 3 April 2020, 05:38 AM   #10
larryccf
"TRF" Member

i'm not sure what you mean when you say "base metal" - i'm pretty sure the case body is fabricated in a metal other than steel, stainless steel or iron - the color didn't capture quite as well as i wanted - i'll try again later to get better pictures, but the metal where the gold plating has peeled away or been polished away is a dark bronze color, very similiar to the bronze used in faucets (both bath and kitchen) here in the US

let's see if these show the color any better

Old 3 April 2020, 06:09 AM   #11
Vlad
"TRF" Member

From wikipedia: "A base metal is a common and inexpensive metal, as opposed to a precious metal such as gold or silver."
Old 3 April 2020, 06:21 AM   #12
larryccf
"TRF" Member

i didn't realize "base metal" had a formal meaning - in that case, bronze would qualify. It just surprised me that the case was made from something other than stainless steel.
Old 3 April 2020, 07:11 AM   #13
emersm

I appreciate everyone's input, thank you!

I am really starting to like these vintage mid-sized Tudors and actually picked up my first ever Tudor, a vintage Tudor mid-60's Prince Oysterdate with box and papers last week.

I never thought that I would ever own/wear/enjoy a 34mm watch.

Just goes to show you how tastes change.
Old 3 April 2020, 08:01 AM   #14
offrdmania

Through electrolysis, they would add a layer of either brass or copper to the base metal. This would make the case more conductive to the layer of gold.