The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 February 2020, 08:11 PM   #1
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Service Interval

I’m sure this may have been asked before but I want to put a twist on the question, I have several automatics ( Rolex, Omega, Tudor Ulysse Nardin ) I know the service internals are in the range of 4-7 years but what if all my pieces are keeping excellent time and are consistent in operation with no issues, is it still necessary to have serviced ?

This question may have been asked and I have searched but have not found an answer.

Thanks in advance
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 08:22 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
I’m sure this may have been asked before but I want to put a twist on the question, I have several automatics ( Rolex, Omega, Tudor Ulysse Nardin ) I know the service internals are in the range of 4-7 years but what if all my pieces are keeping excellent time and are consistent in operation with no issues, is it still necessary to have serviced ?

This question may have been asked and I have searched but have not found an answer.

Thanks in advance
Rolex themselves do not recommended a service time what they did say that the average now put there watches in for service at around 10 years.Now depending on use if used in water or running 24/7, it would be prudent around 5-8 years.But for today's mainly pampered watches around 10 years if watch is keeping good time and no other problems.But Rolex watches are expensive so regular service will keep them running for many decades. And a small price to pay for service knowing after you will have a two year movement warranty, and problem free wearing for the next 5-10 years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 09:37 PM   #3
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Peter thanks for the great advice, I will plan my watch services accordingly on what I currently have but since I have only been collecting automatics for the past year and all but one was purchased NIB so guessing I have some time but I don’t want to get behind the 8 ball and have a bunch of watches that fail, currently all my pieces have a factory warranty so I am good for a few more years just trying to stay ahead of the curve.
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 09:51 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I service my watches when they need service. If I use them in the water my AD pressure tests them.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 09:59 PM   #5
77T
2024 Pledge Member

When one extends their service intervals until a watch begins to show symptoms of mechanical issues, there is still a risk that one or more gaskets/o-rings have deteriorated already.

If you never swim with the watch, or wash it under the faucet, then maybe not as dangerous as if you were snorkeling or diving deeper while wearing it. Gaskets/o-rings are the silent killers - when they perish you will not have any indication.

Once a watch is 5 years beyond its last overhaul, one would be wise to have it pressure tested annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 10:04 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m in the - “if it isn’t acting up don’t fix it camp”.

Sometimes threads like these make me want to reevaluate my thinking though, I see both sides
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 11:30 PM   #7
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I don't service my watches if they are running fine and as long as I don't hear strange noises all good.

Some claim to expect additional costs if you don't service at regular intervals but I find this not to be true per se, most wear parts are included already in the service costs anyway.

Last service I had done was on a lady DJ Rolex of the Mrs some 20 years old and it was the first service on that watch.
Just paid the regular service fee of 800 and opted for a new
crystal of 135. Nothing funny was wrong with it apart from running a bit fast and it came back looking brand new.

My decades old DD runs like new without movement service.

As a regular sauna/ pool user I test my watches for water integrity myself every year or so and never one failed.
Water ingress is a disaster so one really should exclude that, you don't need a service for a simple test.

Worry free Rolex aficionado here
Old 5 February 2020, 12:03 AM   #8
watchmaker
TechXpert

Preventative/routine servicing is only truly necessary when parts are no longer available.

I would still advise servicing a Rolex periodically (approximately 10 years) to benefit from new seals, oils and movement updates.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 12:14 AM   #9
pinkyhotdog
"TRF" Member

Also if you or anyone in your family ever decides to sell the watch and have proof of service done periodically it won't hurt the value :)

But as long as it functions the 10 year period is great when you bath with it, would do it more often if you deep dive with it. I think it also depends on the weather condition one lives in. If it's tropical maybe good to have it checked more often as if you live in "neutral" climate.
pinkyhotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 01:18 PM   #10
Nelson6
"TRF" Member

I concur 100%. I recently took in my Explorer for a service as it is 6 years old and I thought it would makes sense to do so. But before my AD sent it to Rolex, they took a look at the movement, state of lubrication, and timing and told me if I wanted I could go another year or two before it would really need it. It's been keeping excellent time, so I decided to wait. Saved me some $$. A year or so ago this same AD went ahead and sent my 5 year old Sub in without question because I dive with it and wanted the seals replaced. Naturally they did a full service, which is fine. I think padi56 is right on the money; it depends on how the watch is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Rolex themselves do not recommended a service time what they did say that the average now put there watches in for service at around 10 years.Now depending on use if used in water or running 24/7, it would be prudent around 5-8 years.But for today's mainly pampered watches around 10 years if watch is keeping good time and no other problems.But Rolex watches are expensive so regular service will keep them running for many decades. And a small price to pay for service knowing after you will have a two year movement warranty, and problem free wearing for the next 5-10 years.
Nelson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 03:14 PM   #11
Lawrence of Alabama
"TRF" Member

For myself, if it’s keeping good time and not making noises when the rotor is spinning then I’m good. If it’s noisy get it serviced asap regardless of how it’s running. If you don’t, you’re in for a hefty repair bill.
Lawrence of Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 04:33 AM   #12
"TRF" Member

My original AD advised service every 3 years. But that was overkill. Now I only service at signs of trouble. That varied from 5-10 years.
1791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:16 AM   #13
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Submariners and Sea Dweller references are tool watches-and should be subject to a slightly more rigid pressure test monitoring and O-ring/gasket replacement schedule.
This applies particularly to those of us who dive regularly with our watches.
Any slight water entry into the movement spells a crisis, but sea water entry quickly means disaster. The regular servicing 7-10 year period should apply, unless an issue develops.
My 51 year old original red 1680 Submariner spent most of the day in the Gulf of Mexico in 2017 on a successful spear fishing trip. Depth was under 100 ft, but that was its last dive before retirement. The founder of Rolex meant his watches to be used for their intended purpose.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote