The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 30 January 2020, 05:44 AM   #1
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Question about Chronograph reset.....

So I recently won this auction. I was getting ready to pay, and was hit with a sales tax bill from ebay. I wasn't aware I was needing to pay tax, as I'm not in Florida. If you read his ad, it says if you win and are from Florida you will need to pay tax, even though Florida has no state tax. Any way, I agreed to the tax, and was going to pay. I decided to take one more look, the seller was saying some things that weren't sitting well with me. After looking at the watch, I noticed the minute dial and the hour dial were not reset to zero. The chronograph second hand was reset to zero. I asked the seller if he could send me a picture or video of the watch reset to zero or a video to see it working. He went through this song and dance about me being difficult and canceled the order, saying first I question the state tax, and now I haven't even received the watch yet and I'm claiming it's not working. I said fine, I'd rather not go through the whole process of getting a watch that is not working properly and have to send it back and deal with paypal.
My question is: am I right about the minute and hour dial. Shouldn't it be reset to zero if the chronograph hand is at zero?
Here's the original listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Japan...p2047675.l2557

speedy blue.jpg
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 06:06 AM   #2
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Yes 6 and 9 sub dials should be at zero with the Chrono reset, 3 o clock is running seconds so it doesn’t matter.

He may have had the chrono running and stopped it when the big second hand hit 12 and not reset it, hence the misaligned subdials.

Another scenario although unlikely, but you wouldn’t believe the stuff I’ve seen from so call ‘professional’ watchmakers, the hands may have been pressed back in that position when removed for what ever reason (service etc), hence they now reset back to the position they are in now.

You’re probably already aware, and apologies if so, but those movements use a Dubois Dépraz chrono module, nearly impossible to get spares for. Omega used to just replace the movement rather than repair them. Very expensive to service also.

Last edited by antrolexsub; 30 January 2020 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: Grammar and spelling of a 4 year old
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrolexsub View Post
Yes 6 and 9 sub dials should be at zero with the Chrono reset, 3 o clock is running seconds so it doesn’t matter.

He may have had the chrono running and stopped it when the big second hand hit 12 and not reset it, hence the misaligned subdials.

An scenario although unlikely, but you would believe the stuff I’ve seen from so call ‘professional’ watchmakers, the hands may have been pressed back in that position when removed for what ever reason (service etc), hence they now reset back to the position they are in now.

You’re probably already aware, and apologies if so, but those movements use a Dubois Dépraz chrono module, nearly impossible to get spares for. Omega used to just replace the movement rather than repair them. Very expensive to service also.
I'm guessing this isn't the case, but could be. Thank you for the additional info about the movement. I wasn't aware of that. I feel there are a few things he is currently selling that are not as they are described, hence the reason I'm not to broken up about the cancelation of the sale. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Old 30 January 2020, 06:19 AM   #4
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I'm guessing this isn't the case, but could be. Thank you for the additional info about the movement. I wasn't aware of that. I feel there are a few things he is currently selling that are not as they are described, hence the reason I'm not to broken up about the cancelation of the sale. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Yes it’s unlikely. Could obviously also be a defective movement which isn’t unheard of. The sellers attitude is a big red flag.
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 08:35 AM   #5
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
I'd say this is the most likely scenario, and probably done intentionally to make it look like "all is normal" when in fact the lower pusher is non-op.
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon with these as shady sellers try to offload ones with service issues.

freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 09:15 AM   #6
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Looks like you might have dodged an expensive bullet Jason.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 09:21 AM   #7
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Yes it’s unlikely. Could obviously also be a defective movement which isn’t unheard of. The sellers attitude is a big red flag.
THIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Looks like you might have dodged an expensive bullet Jason.
Was thinking the same thing.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 10:19 AM   #8
Knappo 1307

Thanks Fellas, the correspondence after all this happened has confirmed my suspicions. The guy is a flat out liar. Please avoid watchguru on eBay.
Old 30 January 2020, 10:37 AM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Called him on his bs and he got mad at you