The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 September 2021, 01:34 PM   #31
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Try leaving it overnight face up or face down and see whether either of those positions works to speed it up.

My wife’s 1500 runs a minute or so slow each day. She hasn’t noticed and I haven’t told her. I just grab it every three or four days and reset it.

She’s often late, but it’s not the watch…. :)
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 03:54 PM   #32
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post

She’s often late, but it’s not the watch…. :)
Oh, god, don't start me on the complaints about the eternally late wife...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 02:22 AM   #33
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I’m not all that upset, it works out to be about -2mins per day. It’s not ideal and I’d like to get that fixed, but I’m worried that there’s an actual problem that might get worse if not addressed sooner rather than later…

I’ve got it on a winder, I’m going to give it a week straight of running to see if things get a bit better.
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 07:31 AM   #34
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

If anyone is interested, this is listing for the watch. Oystertime (Ray) was great to deal with! I’m pretty happy overall, I just think the “keeping good time” part was a bit of a stretch. He shipped right away and answered I ton of questions. The watch looks even better in person. Even if I have it serviced soon I’ll feel like I got a great deal. Paid a bit less than it was listed for :)

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=6565
Old 5 September 2021, 07:46 AM   #35
dannyp
Banned

Did you make sure to fully wind it manually before wearing?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 08:03 AM   #36
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Did you make sure to fully wind it manually before wearing?
Yep! :)
Old 5 September 2021, 08:50 PM   #37
Oyster Perp
"TRF" Member

That looks cool. Dont expect an atomic clock time keeping with that age, but it wears nice.
Oyster Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 09:11 PM   #38
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnerelli23 View Post
I’m not all that upset, it works out to be about -2mins per day. It’s not ideal and I’d like to get that fixed, but I’m worried that there’s an actual problem that might get worse if not addressed sooner rather than later…

I’ve got it on a winder, I’m going to give it a week straight of running to see if things get a bit better.

Agree you should observe it over a period of time.

But in normal use - not on a winder. Then you will know it’s real world accuracy potential in its current state.

If the 2 minutes persists after a couple of weeks, the next step is a good local certified watchmaker. Have it pressure tested first, then opened for a visual inspection, and adjusted for better accuracy. If the watchmaker says it needs servicing, then you’ve learned something - but don’t submit it to him yet. After he closes it up, have another pressure test. If it fails both tests, again you’ve learned something.

Now wear it daily and for at least 12 or more hours. Check its accuracy daily with same reliable time source. If it’s still off, look to the trusted vintage watchmakers here. Talk through why you’re looking at for average costs plus their parts situation for your movement. You will want an “RSC level” job done that replaces all the usual components inside.

It may be that your local watchmaker is a good choice, or that a TRF one is better.

Plan your budget at least $750-1000 at the outset presuming an overhaul is all it needs.

Good luck - I have a mid-60’s Omega that loses an average 15-30 seconds a day. It comes with the turf…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 02:58 AM   #39
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Good news! After a week straight on a winder, it’s running a lot more accurate. It’s not even losing a minute a day now. I’m waiting for a deployment clasp so it will fit comfortably and then I’ll wear it for a week or so and see how the real world accuracy is. I’m very excited to own this vintage piece!!!
Old 1 October 2021, 07:45 PM   #40
snakeeyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnerelli23 View Post
Good news! After a week straight on a winder, it’s running a lot more accurate. It’s not even losing a minute a day now. I’m waiting for a deployment clasp so it will fit comfortably and then I’ll wear it for a week or so and see how the real world accuracy is. I’m very excited to own this vintage piece!!!
Nice I hope it has kept up with that performance!
snakeeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:33 AM   #41
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Finally got her sized up and looking good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 518F91A0-3212-4251-8F32-18C223492AEF.jpeg (219.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 16 October 2021, 01:48 AM   #42
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Good catch.

Looks like the crystal could use a quick polish, but maybe it’s the picture? If it does, get hold of some Polywatch and do that yourself.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:45 AM   #43
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
Good catch.

Looks like the crystal could use a quick polish, but maybe it’s the picture? If it does, get hold of some Polywatch and do that yourself.
Thanks!, actually it appears worse than it is in photos (the acrylic). Almost undetectable under normal light. In the sun a few shadows are cast on the dial. I will try polywatch in the near future :)

I would also like to have it serviced and water tested!
Old 16 October 2021, 09:11 AM   #44
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
I just got my 1957 or 1961 (not sure which) Oyster Perpetual back on Wednesday from its service. Looking at the serial I thought 1961, but my watch guy said it was 1957.

Which model is yours? The one I got is a 1014, which is gold-capped, so steel underneath. The machine at my watchmaker read mine at +/-7 seconds per day, which isn't too bad.

I want to put another strap on it as the one that came with it was apparently the original - I don't want to tear that up.

Congrats!!!!

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 09:14 AM   #45
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
I should add that mine came with the 1560 movement, which does seem different from yours.

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 10:36 AM   #46
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari308 View Post
I just got my 1957 or 1961 (not sure which) Oyster Perpetual back on Wednesday from its service. Looking at the serial I thought 1961, but my watch guy said it was 1957.

Which model is yours? The one I got is a 1014, which is gold-capped, so steel underneath. The machine at my watchmaker read mine at +/-7 seconds per day, which isn't too bad.

I want to put another strap on it as the one that came with it was apparently the original - I don't want to tear that up.

Congrats!!!!

PDG
Mine is a two-tone 6565. It has the machine turned bezel and the serial dates it to 1958. It runs on the 1030 movement.

I’ve been very happy with it so far! I put it on a cheap Barton strap and installed a deployment clasp. The watch came with a brown alligator strap but it was 18mm instead of 19mm so I didn’t like the look of it.

Eventually I’ll have it serviced, I’d love to have the +- under 10sec per day but I’m not losing sleep over it :) I mostly wear it on “nights out” lol.