The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 October 2021, 11:47 AM   #1
WatchCollectorandFan
"TRF" Member

Tudor Lollipop Hand Submariner

Why is Rolex hell bent on replacing a vintage Tudor “Lollipop” hands with Mercedes type hands? Specifically, why would Rolex decline working on a watch that has those rare Lollipop hands?

Last edited by WatchCollectorandFan; 16 October 2021 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: misspellings
WatchCollectorandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 12:32 PM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchCollectorandFan View Post
Why is Rolex hell bent on replacing a vintage Tudor “Lollipop” hands with Mercedes type hands? Specifically, why would Rolex decline working on a watch that has those rare Lollipop hands?
Rolex likes to update everything and make watches as new as possible. They don't make those hands anymore.

They're not the people to go to with vintage stuff.

Luckily there are sympathetic independent restorers who will service vintage Tudor.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:30 PM   #3
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

The lollipop has no structure behind the hand. So it shrinks, cracks, and falls out. The "Mercedes," cathedral hands have backing for the hands to adhere to.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 02:13 PM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Which is it? Are they declining to work on the watch or requiring replacement of the hands? It's pretty standard for Rolex to require replacement of hands where the lume is compromised, since they claim that loose lume can damage the watch during the warranty period. However, I would be surprised if they totally declined to work on the watch.
Old 16 October 2021, 05:10 PM   #5
WatchCollectorandFan
"TRF" Member

They are telling me they can’t work on this watch and referring this to a NYC repair person. I am totally disappointed in them. Would I kill the value with the new hands?
Old 16 October 2021, 10:51 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They are telling me they can’t work on this watch and referring this to a NYC repair person. I am totally disappointed in them. Would I kill the value with the new hands?
Well, it's weird that they are unwilling to work on it, I would have expected they would just insist on replacing the hands. Maybe that's not the reason they are refusing to work on it. RSC will decline to service a watch if they don't have parts for it.

Anyway, it's for the best IMO. Use an independent and keep things original. Without a photo, we can't really give you advice, but if the lume isn't too bad, it can just be stabilized.
Old 17 October 2021, 01:45 AM   #7
WatchCollectorandFan
"TRF" Member

“stabilize” lume

What does it mean to “stabilize” the Lume?
Old 17 October 2021, 01:51 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
The value in older watches is typically in the hands and dial, although the rest of it needs to be sound as well.

Rolex frequently turns away vintage watches where the customer may cause a stink about "lost value" when they replace cosmetic parts.

Older lume can be stabilized by attaching a micro-thin backing and applying a clear lacquer to keep it from falling apart. Not much different than stabilizing centuries old art work.
Old 17 October 2021, 02:37 AM   #9
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Pic would help...
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 03:59 AM   #10
WatchCollectorandFan
"TRF" Member

When the watch is available and back. How does one post a picture on this sight?
Old 17 October 2021, 07:12 AM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
However, I would be surprised if they totally declined to work on the watch.
My RSC (Tokyo) also declined to service my Tudor Snowflake, saying it was too old. It's a bog-standard movement that any competent watchmaker can service.

As Larry says above, Rolex know that replacing vintage parts will tank the value of the watch. I think they're actually doing you a favor by indirectly saying "We're not the guys you need for this vintage piece. The service we provide will compromise its value," but of course they can't say that directly.

Quote:
Would I kill the value with the new hands?
Yes, that would reduce its value significantly. Just get an independent watchmaker to restore the current hands. There are plenty of trusted restorers in the US, like LA Watchworks.

Stabilizing the hands involves applying lacquer to the back of the lume so that it looks the same but won't fall out.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 07:32 AM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
My RSC (Tokyo) also declined to service my Tudor Snowflake, saying it was too old.
Agreed, that doesn't surprise me. I thought the OP was implying that RSC refused because of the hands specifically.