The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 July 2021, 05:40 AM   #31
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
Hmm that's actually not as bad as I thought, given the price of the SD.

I live in a country where logistically it's easier to get them so hopefully it won't take me quite so long, but lets see.

I agree that the oyster bracelet does objectively look more solid and masculine to my eye.
Lucky you. Hope you can get it soon.
Personally I prefer oyster, jubilee is just too much.
Good luck.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 06:45 AM   #32
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Sorry if that's how you read it. Not intended. Just ignore me.

Wow!!! I did not read your comments as “patronizing” in the least! Looks to me like you were giving a genuine opinion and trying to be very kind, supportive, and empowering!! You never know what kind of day some people are having, I guess!
By the way, I agree with your opinions on this...
While I love many of my watches on their original bracelets, I enjoy swapping them out, occasionally, just for fun. But, you wouldn’t believe what kind of grief we got on a different thread, when I asked for suggestions about a temporary change of my wife’s Platona (platinum oyster) bracelet to a strap for a change! (You would have thought I insulted Jesus or Mohammed!!).

Enjoy the weekend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 06:48 AM   #33
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
Hi I got my skydweller after 18 month wait on the oyster bracelet and I’ll be honest when it was in the box I genuinely felt deflated looking at it but when I put it on my wrist I was blown away with how different it looked I absolutely love it, hope you get it soon
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 06:57 AM   #34
MBgle
"TRF" Member

Just stumbled upon this thread as I just posted my incoming for my Sky Dweller I just picked up today. For me the jubilee bracelet was what attracted me to the watch after always loving it, but never considering it for purchase.

Here are some pics if they help.

MBgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 07:16 AM   #35
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
100% Oyster!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 07:20 AM   #36
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDweller View Post
Wow!!! I did not read your comments as “patronizing” in the least! Looks to me like you were giving a genuine opinion and trying to be very kind, supportive, and empowering!! You never know what kind of day some people are having, I guess!
By the way, I agree with your opinions on this...
While I love many of my watches on their original bracelets, I enjoy swapping them out, occasionally, just for fun. But, you wouldn’t believe what kind of grief we got on a different thread, when I asked for suggestions about a temporary change of my wife’s Platona (platinum oyster) bracelet to a strap for a change! (You would have thought I insulted Jesus or Mohammed!!).

Enjoy the weekend!!

I don't think that a reality check ever hurts, particularly when someone is proposing to spend thousands on a watch which they can't make up their mind about. Personally, I wouldn't consider spending hundreds on something if I didn't know I liked enough. But what one person thinks of as sensible advise is another person's insult. Lesson learned in this instance. If I'm not already on the OP's ignore list, I should be.

It's only a discussion forum. We're not writing the Ten Commandments.

Thank you for your kind words.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 07:27 AM   #37
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
I would lean toward the jubilee. It looks so perfect with the fluted bezel on my DJ41. It definitely dresses it up a bit (good or bad). Also, I have owned so many oyster bracelets that I look to change it up a bit. Just replaced the oyster on my SD4K for an Everest band and love the new look.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 07:27 AM   #38
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
I like the sportiness of the Oyster.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 08:50 AM   #39
SeeDweller

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
I like the sportiness of the Oyster.

And that’s the “take-home” of all of this:
- Oyster is more sporty.
- Jubilee is more comfortable and more dressy.

A man’s got to know what makes him tick... and what he (or she) is looking for!

'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:02 AM   #40
JEdwardK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C
Quote:
I live in a country where logistically it's easier to get them so hopefully it won't take me quite so long, but lets see.
where do you live?

is the AD actually ordering a watch for you or just taking your money upfront and promising to call you up when a watch arrives?
Old 25 July 2021, 11:21 AM   #41
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

I personally like the oyster more.
BGTHEMOGUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 12:45 PM   #42
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Way too busy with the jubilee.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 09:57 PM   #43
JSol1

Quote:
Interesting idea, although I am not sure it would be so worth doing as I tend to just put a watch on without the hassle of changing bracelets. How much do you think the jubilee would cost as a separate purchase?
I had a similar dilemma with a different watch (BLNR). Since I will only buy watches that I have physically tried, my AD let me try watches that were allocated to others. I went in set on the Oyster, but when I tried both the Jubilee won out as all my other watches are Oyster or Oysterflex.
Knowing I can purchase an Oyster from Rolex if I decide also helps. Keep in mind the Oyster will be slightly cheaper than the Jubilee if you decide to purchase a second bracelet…love the black dial SD-would own in a heartbeat if it weren’t too big for me..
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 10:56 PM   #44
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

I was very fortunate to get a Blue Sky Dweller from my AD. He procured a jubilee bracelet and I was not committed to specifying that...would have gladly taken either Oyster or Jubilee but since I have 5 Rolex watches with Oyster bracelets currently I felt the Jubilee would be a great alternative and it has turned out to be just that. The Jubilee gives the watch a more dressy look with greater wrist presence that makes it really pop IMO. I am very glad mine did come with the Jubilee now that I have it. In regards to the way it feels on the wrist...the Jubilee is very comfortable, does not feel top heavy at all and offers the advantage of not showing scratches whatsoever (compared to Oyster which displays scratches very obviously). Here ares some images of my watch on my wrist to consider in making your choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2626.jpeg (232.3 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2627.jpeg (215.8 KB, 806 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2630.jpeg (202.3 KB, 803 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2631.jpeg (222.9 KB, 805 views)
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:00 PM   #45
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

One other thing to consider if you are absolutely undecided based on appearance is that the jubilee is currently selling for about 5K more on the grey market. So it may be a more valuable investment but whether or not that will hold long term remains to be seen. This did not sway me in my decision to get a black Daytona 116500 over a white because I preferred that look but if I was undecided I would have gone with the white because it sells for more second hand.
Old 25 July 2021, 11:48 PM   #46
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Please, dial back the patronising tone. I am asking for opinions to help me weigh up the pros and cons of a bracelet I have never seen; you don't need to point out the obvious and tell me how it's my money and my decision. I am using this forum as part of the research decision-making process and people's opinions and other experience are valuable regardless of whether or not they are making any final decisions.
My opinion: the Jubilee looks and feels better on the Sky D. It suits the fluted bezel and gets the watch off the fence about whether it’s sporty or formal. You also already have an Oyster so this seems like a good opportunity to get a different look.

By the way, just because you think you got a patronising reply might not be the best reason to rush in and call another forum member out like that.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 05:01 AM   #47
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEdwardK View Post
where do you live?

is the AD actually ordering a watch for you or just taking your money upfront and promising to call you up when a watch arrives?
Nooo I certainly didn't pre-pay, do people even do that? I am on a waiting list with no ETA, I will just get a call whenever and if ever it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDweller View Post
And that’s the “take-home” of all of this:
- Oyster is more sporty.
- Jubilee is more comfortable and more dressy.
Yup, that does indeed seem to be the take away. I think I still prefer the Oyster from a looks perspective, but I am going to see if I can hunt out some jubilee bracelets in Rolex stores and try some on to make a more informed decision. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
I had a similar dilemma with a different watch (BLNR). Since I will only buy watches that I have physically tried, my AD let me try watches that were allocated to others. I went in set on the Oyster, but when I tried both the Jubilee won out as all my other watches are Oyster or Oysterflex.
Knowing I can purchase an Oyster from Rolex if I decide also helps. Keep in mind the Oyster will be slightly cheaper than the Jubilee if you decide to purchase a second bracelet…love the black dial SD-would own in a heartbeat if it weren’t too big for me..
That's a very good point, the Oyster would be cheaper as a second bracelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbone View Post
I was very fortunate to get a Blue Sky Dweller from my AD. He procured a jubilee bracelet and I was not committed to specifying that...would have gladly taken either Oyster or Jubilee but since I have 5 Rolex watches with Oyster bracelets currently I felt the Jubilee would be a great alternative and it has turned out to be just that. The Jubilee gives the watch a more dressy look with greater wrist presence that makes it really pop IMO. I am very glad mine did come with the Jubilee now that I have it. In regards to the way it feels on the wrist...the Jubilee is very comfortable, does not feel top heavy at all and offers the advantage of not showing scratches whatsoever (compared to Oyster which displays scratches very obviously). Here ares some images of my watch on my wrist to consider in making your choice.
Wow that does look beautiful man... seriously! You must be very proud of that. Congrats.

Quote:
One other thing to consider if you are absolutely undecided based on appearance is that the jubilee is currently selling for about 5K more on the grey market. So it may be a more valuable investment but whether or not that will hold long term remains to be seen. This did not sway me in my decision to get a black Daytona 116500 over a white because I preferred that look but if I was undecided I would have gone with the white because it sells for more second hand.
5k more despite the same rrp? Wow. This seems to suggest that buying a jubilee bracelet as an additional 1.5k accessory (if that's what it costs) is likely worth it.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 05:05 AM   #48
Ivte
"TRF" Member

Oyster always
Ivte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 05:19 AM   #49
xrole
"TRF" Member

Just saw a good article here discussing the various pros and cons of each one https://millenarywatches.com/rolex-jubilee-vs-oyster/

I really need to go and see some in person over the next month or two.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 05:43 AM   #50
B318
"TRF" Member

Jubilee all the way. My Blue sky d fits and wears wonderfully. My collection is vast and varied but this watch hasn’t gotten any rest since it arrived.
B318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 06:18 AM   #51
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nooo I certainly didn't pre-pay, do people even do that? I am on a waiting list with no ETA, I will just get a call whenever and if ever it arrives.

Yup, that does indeed seem to be the take away. I think I still prefer the Oyster from a looks perspective, but I am going to see if I can hunt out some jubilee bracelets in Rolex stores and try some on to make a more informed decision. :)

That's a very good point, the Oyster would be cheaper as a second bracelet.

Wow that does look beautiful man... seriously! You must be very proud of that. Congrats.

5k more despite the same rrp? Wow. This seems to suggest that buying a jubilee bracelet as an additional 1.5k accessory (if that's what it costs) is likely worth it.
The difference between the list on the Oyster vs the Jubilee is only 450 dollars.
14,800 for Oyster and 15,250 for Jubilee. On Chrono24 and ebay however there is a good 5k average spread between the 2 second hand.
Old 26 July 2021, 07:44 AM   #52
bob sims
Banned

I own one of each and they are both great!
Most of us seem to think jubilee looks better on a fluted bezel.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 10:51 AM   #53
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
I’m waiting for a blue dial on jubilee from my AD.

I think the SkyD looks good on both options. My daily is a D-Blue so, for me, the extra presence of the jubilee + fluted bezel on the SkyD will give me nice variety in 2 larger watches.

Different strokes for different folks - really can’t wrong with either option.

NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 10:58 AM   #54
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The Jubilee gives the watch a more dressy look with greater wrist presence that makes it really pop IMO. I am very glad mine did come with the Jubilee now that I have it. In regards to the way it feels on the wrist...the Jubilee is very comfortable, does not feel top heavy at all and offers the advantage of not showing scratches whatsoever (compared to Oyster which displays scratches very obviously). Here ares some images of my watch on my wrist to consider in making your choice.
Great pics and thx for posting 'em! Looking fwd to buying the Jubilee bracelet to go with the Oyster. Love the SkyD blue on Jubilee too
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 11:13 AM   #55
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great pics and thx for posting 'em! Looking fwd to buying the Jubilee bracelet to go with the Oyster. Love the SkyD blue on Jubilee too
Must say that I am a professional wrist model and the Sky Dweller in blue with the jubilee band will NOT look the same on the average person's average wrist. You must take my photos of the watch with a grain of salt because it's really not that special. Think Kate Upton's bra and you'll get an idea of how I'm filling out the bracelet to give the illusion that there is something special going on with that piece. I could have worn a Swatch and really.....

Nah. Just messing with you. The watch is gorgeous.
Old 26 July 2021, 11:16 AM   #56
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

The real problem with the Blue Sky on jubilee is that when you wear any of your other watches you miss this one. It ends up destroying your wearing schedule because you can't keep it off your wrist for more than 24 hours. In sunlight it's gorgeous and for dress it kills. Plus it has useful functions and it's quite legible. (unlike my Daytonas which remind me that I'm presbyobic whenever I wear them.)
Old 26 July 2021, 11:40 AM   #57
MBgle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your piece is stunning. Looks great on you.
MBgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:13 PM   #58
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
I have had this for nearly four years and won't be swapping it for a jubilee.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Me either!!!! Just saw one on jubilee and it was an immediate no for me! Whew....
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:33 PM   #59
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I think the SkyD needs the oyster ... it's just too big of a watch for a jubilee bracelet. I really didn't understand that move by Rolex.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 08:13 PM   #60
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Choice is not a bad thing. It might lengthen the lead times but this is to be expected. Having spoken to a few SAs about retrospectively changing my TT onto a Jubilee, I've got mixed responses, but the consensus is that it will be possible to buy a Jubilee for a 2020 registered Sky Dweller, sometime in 2021 in the case of my AD.

When my BLRO comes through, my 116610's bracelet is going on it. I wish I had a choice of PCL versus versus matt, but I welcome the choice of Jubilee or Oyster.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote