The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 October 2021, 08:31 AM   #31
Oldbigmouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Good to see NC in the forum. I’m recently got my first Rolex, same reference number. For me, I dreamed of this watch for the past 25 years. I would hold onto it, give it some wrist time. It’ll either grow on you, or appreciate enough to offset any loss. I just don’t see the supply chain getting better in the next couple of year.
Oldbigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 08:43 AM   #32
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post
Haha I can relate to this. My first Rolex underwhelmed me because I was used to wearing big oversized omegas and breitling.

My advice is to wait a little longer to see if it grows on you. Then reassess and let it go if needed. But give it a good 6 months trial first
This is very good advice. I wore a SS SkyDweller for six months and finally decided; it was just not for me. Go find out what is for you and wear it.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 08:43 AM   #33
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
It's a great, vanilla piece. Sometimes you just need something a bit different. I went SD43 and was just enough to be something special and I enjoy putting it on everytime I do.

Like others have said, put it away for a couple of weeks. If you have no desire to go get it and put it on, sell it for something you do.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 08:45 AM   #34
dannyp
Banned

Personally, I'm not a fan of the chunky case on the 11 series. I'd try and find a dealer willing to add me to 12 series list, then trade straight up (since they can sell a used 11 for more than a new 12).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 09:06 AM   #35
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Well, this is calling my name, I did the exact same thing. Bought a Pelagos in 2014 and wore it pretty much exclusively, until I bought a 116610LN in 2018. I wanted a nicer, "step up" from my Pelagos, and to be honest I always felt like I settled a little bit when I passed on a Submariner and SD4K for the Pelagos in 2014. The honeymoon phase with the SubC was pretty short, it didn't feel like that special upgrade I was looking for. After a few months, I was reaching for the Pelagos nearly every day, and knew it was time to move the Submariner.

When I bought the SubC, I was pretty lucky, I also had the option of a black GMT, Rootbeer GMT, Black DeepSea, and several Datejusts and OPs at the AD, I tried them all on. I wanted the DeepSea, but it was past closing, so I left my CC# and was headed back in the morning to get it. That night I read all over the internet about how the DSSD was a tuna can, too thick, cheeseburger on the wrist, etc and got cold feet, so the next morning I switched to the Submariner. Lesson learned, don't follow the crowd. I fixed that mistake with a 126660 DSSD and haven't regretted it once. I still wear my Pelagos probably 80% of the time, but every time I buckle on the DeepSea, I get that special "spark" and catch myself staring at it throughout the day.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 09:29 AM   #36
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I bought a Sub, didn't bond with it so sold it.
Thought it was odd that I didn't like it, as everyone told me I should, so bought another.

Sold that one shortly afterwards too.
After all the "every collection needs one/ most classic timeless sports watch" etc it just felt kinda ordinary.

Give it a go a little longer, see if you change your mind, but it's a lot of money to have tied up in something that you don't really enjoy....
Old 14 October 2021, 09:45 AM   #37
thegrizz
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the insightful replies. Especially those of you that have been there. I rarely buy anything like this for myself, usually spending $ on the kids and wife. I think I feel as if I’m being selfish.

I will definitely put the Pelagos away for a month and
Only wear the sub. If I don’t be up bonding at least I gave it a try. Like someone mentioned, maybe I’ll hit a Christmas bump. Thanks again everybody, makes me feel like I’m not the only one head over heels for Rolex at first.

Slus thanks for making it more difficult 😂
thegrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:10 AM   #38
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Wear it for some time. Gives you the opportunity to get used to it. I think you'll find that it grows on you and will overcome your initial disappointment because you overbuilt it in your mind.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:17 AM   #39
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

I can also relate to this. Shortly after buying my 116713LN I acquired a 116610LN. It was nice but it immediately fell flat. I almost had to force myself to wear it over the 116713.

I ended up selling it ~2months after buying it. Don't know if I'd consider a 126610LN, maybe a LV would be better.
Omega Speedmaster Chronoscope 329.30.43.51.03.001
Notsoprobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:20 AM   #40
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
It's a great, vanilla piece. Sometimes you just need something a bit different. I went SD43 and was just enough to be something special and I enjoy putting it on everytime I do.

Like others have said, put it away for a couple of weeks. If you have no desire to go get it and put it on, sell it for something you do.
I agree…..that’s what makes the hulk so special…..
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:21 AM   #41
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
If you don’t need the money for food then what is the downside of keeping it for a little while.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:23 AM   #42
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

I found a discontinued GMT II LN, and it’s fantastic. The GMT complication is more useful to me than the depth rating of the Sub, and few people who see it recognize it for what it is. YMMV
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:43 AM   #43
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

I'll buy it off of you
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 11:27 AM   #44
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I wanted a Sub for a very long time and when I got one, it completely met and exceeded my expectations, and I absolutely love it. The first time I held one though, it did seem a little underwhelming. I think part of this was because it was so much smaller than the watch I was wearing at the time.

The Sub is, at its core, a very plain and sterile watch. (It's not a massive watch. It's not a lot of bling. The bracelet is very basic. It has a rugged case & movement and a very useful clasp, which itself is more functional than elegant.) I have come to really like these design fundamentals, although one may feel negatively about it for these same reasons. There are more cosmetically striking variations, some of which use precious metals and others that use different colorations.

I don't really get the people who despise one reference and love another.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 12:13 PM   #45
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
I can relate to this. I got the new Sub shortly after release last year and loved it at first. I’ve been fortunate to get a couple more calls this year (BLNR and 116500LN) and now find myself rarely reaching for the Sub. It’s such an iconic watch, but it just doesn’t have the “magic” to me that some other professional models have, and it’s *everywhere* in NYC. If someone is wearing a professional Rolex around these parts, 9 times out of 10 it’s a black Submariner. Nothing wrong with that on the surface, but to me it sort of makes the watch feel more “ordinary” and less “special.” (That said, there’s obviously a reason it’s so popular.)

Don’t know about you, but I’m considering trading mine in for an older Submariner — maybe a 14060. I really like the elegance of the slimmer case and crown guards.
Yeah, for me at least with the subs, the magic is in the 5 digit models.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 12:22 PM   #46
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
It is A reality of many here...

I traded about 13 newer Rolex watches until I found that I love the
Yacht-Master, Daytona, and GMT...

Oh, and they ALL have to be PM, except for the Platinum bezel YM's...

Wear what you, "Love...!"

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 01:13 PM   #47
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SUB LV-C/Pepsi C
I had the exact same feeling when I purchased the 116610LN in 2012. So I traded it nearly a month later for a 2012 116610LV and haven’t looked back since. Have had the Hulk for nearly 10 years (just recently back from its first Rolex service) and kept unpolished. Love it. I know that probably doesn’t help you now since the price difference in those 2 watches are quite different today than they were. I wouldn’t hold it though if you’re not in love with it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 14 October 2021, 01:19 PM   #48
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
The sub is a classic, the gmt ln is a good substitute. That’s what Rolex is a little boring yet a little nice.

Try the omega bond diver you’ll see the difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 03:27 PM   #49
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Before I bought my sub, I was convinced that the 116610LN was the one for me - I had probably also set it up as a 'grail'. I was on several waitlists and was eagerly looking forward to it. That is, until I went to a grey dealer out of interest one day to try one on.

They are without question a very very well made watch, but it left me feeling a bit cold. I didn't get what the fuss was all about.

That same day I visited a vintage dealer here in Dubai to try some older Subs on and instantly I knew what the answer was. After a few weeks of hunting the dealer found me one which was absolutely perfect and I ended up with a a V serial 16610 instead and never looked back.

I think the moral of the story is that we get into our heads that we think we know what we want, when in fact we are often driven by external forces into making that decision without coming to the answer ourselves. To be frank, I think for me it was the constant youtube / instagram / TRF viewing which told me "buy the 116610ln as it's the best modern day diver available". I absolutely knew I wanted a Submariner, but what I hadn't done is put the legwork in myself.

So my advice to the OP would be to go and get out there and try stuff on. If the 116610ln isn't for you, it isn't for you. I wouldn't try and force yourself to like it. You should know that very moment if it's for you or not.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 03:56 PM   #50
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Give it time
Wear it for a few months
You’ll not look back
Cauhauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 11:24 PM   #51
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
That's the thing about Rolex. They're not an overwhelming watch to the senses, at least IMO. Even the PM's don't jump out at you, screaming for attention. Their beauty is one of subtle detail, and that is one thing I love about the brand.

Couple of thoughts. You are correct in your assertion the Pelagos and BB58 are fine watches that perform well above their price point. There is no law that says you need anything else. Maybe another diver isn't what you need? Finally, if you introduce worries about losing money into the equation, then that is the quickest way to spoil any enjoyment you may find in this crazy hobby.

As has been said many times before around here...the best way to make 1 million dollars collecting watches is to start with 2.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 11:58 PM   #52
thegrizz
"TRF" Member

I have to say I have put the Pelagos away, wore the sub all day yesterday and woke up with it this morning.

I think my initial discontent was the fact that it was the most I have spent on a watch. I don't golf, I don't have hobbies that I spend a lot of $ (besides boating). As sad as it sounds outside of hunting and working out collecting watches is one of my favorite hobbies.

I have lost countless amounts of $ trading up to get to the Sub. Losing $ isn't a huge concern if I flip it. The more I see it on my wrist the more I am enjoying it.

I put on my beater Steinhart to cut the grass and immediately wanted to put the Sub back on. Only time will tell, but for the moment it looks like it will be staying.

Thanks for walking me off the ledge and for welcoming a new member. Have a great day everyone.
Old 15 October 2021, 12:24 AM   #53
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post

This is very well said! I agree with you. I have owned black Submariners many times and there just isn't quite enough there to make it a keeper. Too vanilla. Add a blue dial or a green dial or some red text to the dial and my heart sings!

My Hulk and my Bluesy are two of my favorite watches. It is interesting how just a little bit extra "something" can totally change your opinion of a watch.
Old 15 October 2021, 01:58 AM   #54
nyc10ken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrizz View Post
I have to say I have put the Pelagos away, wore the sub all day yesterday and woke up with it this morning.

I think my initial discontent was the fact that it was the most I have spent on a watch. I don't golf, I don't have hobbies that I spend a lot of $ (besides boating). As sad as it sounds outside of hunting and working out collecting watches is one of my favorite hobbies.

I have lost countless amounts of $ trading up to get to the Sub. Losing $ isn't a huge concern if I flip it. The more I see it on my wrist the more I am enjoying it.

I put on my beater Steinhart to cut the grass and immediately wanted to put the Sub back on. Only time will tell, but for the moment it looks like it will be staying.

Thanks for walking me off the ledge and for welcoming a new member. Have a great day everyone.
When comparing value, Tudor is tough to beat.

I think you worked hard and saved and deserve keeping the sub. Plus dont think of it as an expense, youre money is safe in a black sub, no its not flashy like a Daytona, GMT, Hulk but its not meant to be...its supposed to be THE rock solid timeless rolex thats the most liquid of any watch on earth.

Use the Tudor for the beater activities, is it blue or black?
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:29 AM   #55
walkman2727
Banned

Watch: 16710 pepsi
I love mine, bought at AD in 2019, enjoyed every movement having it on my wrist. Absolutely true love, you are right, bb58 is a great watch, why don't you keep both and love both.
walkman2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:55 AM   #56
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Sell it and get a yellow gold sub. Either black or blue dial. You’ll never feel disappointed. And youll feel like a million bucks
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 04:19 AM   #57
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrizz View Post
Good afternoon everyone, long long time lurker, first time poster. Been very active on WUS for a long time.

I recently purchased a 116610LN which has been my grail piece for a long time. I also have a Pelagos which I love and wear daily.

After receiving the Sub I felt a bit underwhelmed. I felt like for the price difference the Pelagos was a better watch (IMO). I also felt there are other watches for less that are great pieces (BB58).

At this point I'm not sure if I should flip the Sub (and probably lose $1,000) or keep it and see if they continue to appreciate down the road. My only concern is that I sell it and regret then have to rebuy down the road. Not worried per se about the $ if I loved it, I would keep it. Just doesn't give me that pumped feeling when I put it on.

I'm not sure if I wanted a "Rolex" for so long that I had this crazy expectation built up in my mind. Anyone else have this feeling after buying their first Rolex?

It went from grail to underwhelming once you purchased it? Then why did you buy it?
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 04:46 AM   #58
JonTheKingJames
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600 SD 43
If you aren’t happy with it right away, just get something else. Don’t “create” happiness just because you don’t want to feel stupid. You don’t like the watch as much as you thought you would, get another one. Sometimes it takes trial and error. I had a YG DD 36 and a 40 SubC. Both I wasn’t happy with. Now I have a SD43 and I’m happy.
Old 15 October 2021, 04:48 AM   #59
thegrizz
"TRF" Member

Why did I buy it? Growing up poor There were a few men I respected that had done well, were generous and solid men. They both had subs. I loved the design and look of the sub and to me it was a symbol to myself that I had accomplished some of my goals.

After wearing it for several days it is fantastic. The only thing holding me back from loving it was the price. I have never spent that much on myself. I think I had sticker shock. Once I got that out of the way, I was good to go. My wife and I are not extravagant people. We drive paid off cars and live in a house below our means. We have been savers /investors since we met. Honestly I think money is better off in Rolex atm than cash.

Growing up poor I still Have this irrational fear that one day I will be poor again. Crazy, yes but it is what it is.

To those that have said grab a different reference, the only ones that interest me beyond the sub are the Batman and the Pepsi. Definitely not paying gray market on those.
Old 15 October 2021, 05:22 AM   #60
thegrizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
It went from grail to underwhelming once you purchased it? Then why did you buy it?
Why did I buy it? We have to travel back in time. Growing up poor, my dad had a few friends that were well to do, generous and solid men. They both wore submariners and I wanted one from the first time I saw it.

My wife and I are not extravagant people, we both drive paid for cars and live in a home that is below our means. We have spent most of our life together saving/investing.

I think the initial problem with not bonding with the Sub was that I have never spent that much on myself. Growing up poor I also have this irrational fear of going back to a place with no money. I am constantly battling this and honestly its part of what fuels me.

With my history laid out once I got past the price and had a few days to wear the watch without thinking about $, I love it. It's the classic swiss made "Americana" watch that I have always wanted. I don't think this one will be getting sold.

I bought a colorful beater should I want a bit more pop in my day. One day I hope to have a Pepsi or Batman, but that won't be for another 20 years down the road. Thanks for the responses and to those you that recognize this was my first "big boy" purchase.