The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2021, 07:55 AM   #61
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
My 116610LN is by far my favorite Rolex. The Pelagos is an awesome watch too. If you don't like it maybe need to look for something different. Perhaps a Rolex that is not a dive focused watch.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 08:09 AM   #62
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post

The Sub is, at its core, a very plain and sterile watch.
Exactly. In plainer English; it SUCKS!
10 grand for a Seiko look alike? No way baby.
OP should dump that loser and go to a bluesy or a nice TT DJ. Even a blue Milgaus.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 08:34 AM   #63
wez004
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrizz View Post
I have to say I have put the Pelagos away, wore the sub all day yesterday and woke up with it this morning.

I think my initial discontent was the fact that it was the most I have spent on a watch. I don't golf, I don't have hobbies that I spend a lot of $ (besides boating). As sad as it sounds outside of hunting and working out collecting watches is one of my favorite hobbies.

I have lost countless amounts of $ trading up to get to the Sub. Losing $ isn't a huge concern if I flip it. The more I see it on my wrist the more I am enjoying it.

I put on my beater Steinhart to cut the grass and immediately wanted to put the Sub back on. Only time will tell, but for the moment it looks like it will be staying.

Thanks for walking me off the ledge and for welcoming a new member. Have a great day everyone.
I'm glad that you're starting to bond with the watch, you'll find that you'll stop thinking about it in such detail and you'll just start enjoying it and even missing it when it's not on your wrist. Like a lot of things in life the thought and chase of something can be better than the actual reality of it.
wez004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 08:41 AM   #64
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
OP should dump that loser and go to a bluesy or a nice TT DJ. Even a blue Milgaus.
It's the watch that like half of all watches made try to be.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:01 AM   #65
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
It's the watch that like half of all watches made try to be.
I mean, to be fair, vanilla is the most popular flavor for ice cream...
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:09 AM   #66
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Interesting thread. For me I never had interest in this piece for almost 18 years. A funny thing happened in 2019 when I brought my 11613lb in for service-I tried one on and immediately fell for it for very reason many complain about…clean, simple and most importantly brushed bracelet. I love that I don’t have to worry about doing anything when I’m wearing it…I work out with it, work on my boat, etc. and that’s my go to watch.
I actually wish the other ‘tool’ watches had a brushed bracelet option.
I do not baby my watches and wear them all regularly, but I’d be lying if I said I never think about dinging a $30k PM piece…it’s a utilitarian masterpiece in my opinion…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:17 AM   #67
JC316
"TRF" Member

It sounds like you have a two watch collection. I too have the Pelagos and love it! Might I suggest that you switch between the two everyday for a month or two to see how you feel and then decide? In the end, if you don't like it, you shouldn't keep it.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:19 AM   #68
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

how long have you had it? I'd wear it for at least 3 months before making a decision.

Subs are traditional watches, so they may not have the immediate wow factor but in my experience certainly grow on you over time.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:23 AM   #69
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpccarguy View Post
I found a discontinued GMT II LN, and it’s fantastic. The GMT complication is more useful to me than the depth rating of the Sub, and few people who see it recognize it for what it is. YMMV
Just got one of these too and love it! Even more than my 5513 sub
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:43 AM   #70
nyc10ken
Banned

Quote:

It's more like 14 grand i.e. same amount you paid for the OP41 red. Itd be interesting to hear who else would rather pay 14k for that or take any of your other options rather than a black sub.

Glad however we all don't have the same tastes!
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:19 AM   #71
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe in your mind, but it does not look like a Seiko. If anything Seiko is knocking off Rolex styling. The other watches you mention are all very nice though
Old 16 October 2021, 09:54 AM   #72
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
Old 16 October 2021, 10:15 AM   #73
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Maybe in your mind, but it does not look like a Seiko. If anything Seiko is knocking off Rolex styling. The other watches you mention are all very nice though
Well OK and I respect your input.
But let's compare the black steel sub to the Seiko for similarity:
1. Ugly black dial-check
2. Equally ugly black diver's bezel-check
3. Junk metal bracelet-check
One is $10,000 cheaper and is available at Walmart or online continuously, the other you have pay 5k over or kiss the rear end of the AD.
There are obviously some who find this vapid watch to be worth the premium but I ain't one of them!
I would take a nice white or blue Timex Easy Reader any day of the week.
Hell, give me a funky colored Mumbai Special.
Old 16 October 2021, 10:19 AM   #74
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrizz View Post
Good afternoon everyone, long long time lurker, first time poster. Been very active on WUS for a long time.

I recently purchased a 116610LN which has been my grail piece for a long time. I also have a Pelagos which I love and wear daily.

After receiving the Sub I felt a bit underwhelmed. I felt like for the price difference the Pelagos was a better watch (IMO). I also felt there are other watches for less that are great pieces (BB58).

At this point I'm not sure if I should flip the Sub (and probably lose $1,000) or keep it and see if they continue to appreciate down the road. My only concern is that I sell it and regret then have to rebuy down the road. Not worried per se about the $ if I loved it, I would keep it. Just doesn't give me that pumped feeling when I put it on.

I'm not sure if I wanted a "Rolex" for so long that I had this crazy expectation built up in my mind. Anyone else have this feeling after buying their first Rolex?

Sold my sub. Kept MY BB58 and explorer 1. 116610 is not that appealing IMO. Took me many years to realize. 126610 and 16610 are better options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:20 AM   #75
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
True, but it's also one of the hardest flavors to do right. (Same with plain cheesecake, for that matter.) Everybody and their dog might try to make it, but not everyone makes it equally well.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:55 AM   #76
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Reason I got a 116710LN
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 11:08 AM   #77
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Its not for everyone but i love my 116610LN!!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 11:54 AM   #78
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
This is very well said! I agree with you. I have owned black Submariners many times and there just isn't quite enough there to make it a keeper. Too vanilla. Add a blue dial or a green dial or some red text to the dial and my heart sings!

My Hulk and my Bluesy are two of my favorite watches. It is interesting how just a little bit extra "something" can totally change your opinion of a watch.
I don’t see Bluesy in your signature ?
Old 16 October 2021, 03:13 PM   #79
Raj24v
"TRF" Member

I love my black SubC but do sometimes also feel it’s a little ‘ bland’. It’s a great everyday watch though.
I fitted a rubber strap to change it up a little which helped.

I also purchased a bluesy and this piece really stands out compared to the black. More of an event with it. I couldn’t daily it though.
Raj24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:38 PM   #80
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1. Ugly black dial-check
One is $10,000 cheaper and is available at Walmart or online continuously, the other you have pay 5k over or kiss the rear end of the AD.
There are obviously some who find this vapid watch to be worth the premium but I ain't one of them!
Well you’re just a real charmer aren’t you
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 06:15 AM   #81
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
It's more like 14 grand i.e. same amount you paid for the OP41 red. Itd be interesting to hear who else would rather pay 14k for that or take any of your other options rather than a black sub.

Glad however we all don't have the same tastes!
A lot of people apparently. Many have sold on the same merchant for over 14k in the 6 months since I bought mine the price has gone UP $500. I posed as a new buyer yesterday and called them up and offered an even 14k only to be told "not a chance". They are edging up right towards 15k.
As you say though-we all have different tastes which is great!
Old 17 October 2021, 03:46 PM   #82
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
You had the urge to buy and now you feel guilty for buying it or the watch doesn’t live up to the hype despite the inflated grey prices or you don’t like the watch?

Or Combination of all three,

if you sell and lose $1-1.5K it’s better than having a watch sitting in the box with all its money tied up.

IMHO it’s an overrated watch. People default to the sub without considering whether it’s the watch for “them”. Try other Rolex models and brands and see if another ticks the boxes more and find a decent trade in price.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 04:59 PM   #83
Becweb
Banned

Never sell a Rolex if you don't need the money. If you would trade for a model you prefer than yes, otherwise, no way.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 05:06 PM   #84
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
116610LN was the best Sub/Date :

Brilliant 3135 movement.
Best bracelet /Best clasp ,by design,width and clasp size .

It gets a lot of wrist time .
126610LN in storage,for now.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 09:27 PM   #85
chucklehead
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I’d say give it some time. But if you don’t love it then why keep it?

I just clicked over my one year anniversary with my 126610LN and I still love it as when I walked out of the shop with it. Truly a special feeling.

Good luck with your decision!
chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 12:08 AM   #86
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
There's a strong reason why you bought the 116610LN. It meant something to you, it brings back good memories from your childhood. The day you earn back the money you spent, you'll feel a lot better and you'll realise you did the right thing. All you need is some time to digest the sticker shock, that's all. You could have that 10k sitting in a bank account on top of the savings you already have, giving you nothing, or you could have a great watch lasting a lifetime. That first Rolex is special. Think long term.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 03:27 AM   #87
thegrizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
There's a strong reason why you bought the 116610LN. It meant something to you, it brings back good memories from your childhood. The day you earn back the money you spent, you'll feel a lot better and you'll realise you did the right thing. All you need is some time to digest the sticker shock, that's all. You could have that 10k sitting in a bank account on top of the savings you already have, giving you nothing, or you could have a great watch lasting a lifetime. That first Rolex is special. Think long term.
This is what I think about now. I think about why I actually bought it and spent the $ in the first place. I have worn it every day and night since I started this thread. I can't stop staring at it everyday. I put it on a couple of brand new single pass Nato's and man is it a great watch. My initial reaction was definitely $ based.

I'm glad ya'll talked me out of flipping it off the bat. I haven't thought about reaching for the Pelagos in days. I think I would have regretted selling it. At this point I don't care if I bought at the peak of the market. This is one that will be with me for the next 40+ years.
thegrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:17 AM   #88
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1. Ugly black dial-check
To each his own and always buy what you like most, but I don't see merit in those points.

1. Deep glossy black dial by many is highly sought after and classy
2. Ceramic bezel with platinum inlay keeps a perfect sheen for the life of the watch, keeping new looking. Sure beats a soda can bezel
3. I literally laughed out loud at this one. The brushed Oyster bracelet with Glidelock may be the best damn bracelet in the industry. The only that even comes close is the Pelagos on the value end. Or AP Royal Oak with the finishing superiority if you must.

You must think the 116500LN Black dial is an ugly, cheap looking watch then too. I get they're hard to get right now, but that in no way makes the watch lower quality.
Old 21 October 2021, 02:23 AM   #89
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1. Ugly black dial-check

Didn't you pay like 14k for an OP? you paid nearly 10k over
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:23 AM   #90
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1. Ugly black dial-check
Is that you, Archie Luxury?
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote