The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 December 2006, 03:48 AM   #1
bolmida

price for a speedmaster reduced

I am considering buying a used omega speedmaster - reduced to add to my collection. Can someone give me price range for one in good condition? i understand the reduced model goes for less money. thanks much peter
bolmida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2006, 04:41 AM   #2
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

The reduced go for less money, usually around the 1k mark or less.

I would strongly advise you to save a few hundred more and get the Speedmaster pro.

Those are the reasons:

1. The reduced does not use a true chrono movement. Instead it uses a 46 jeweled movement which is unusual because it has a fully jeweled Dubois-Dépraz 2020 chronograph module which is piggybacked on a fully jeweled ETA 2890-A2 watch movement. (basically a similar movement to the one found in the Seamaster Pro line)

2. While I haven't heard of any major problems with it, I can tell you that it is one of the most difficult movements to work on as it is very complex. Just think how many little gears that thing has if it has 46 jewels!! Very few watch makers will touch that. Even a simple regulating job is a chore. It is actually so hard to work on and service, that Omega recommends that you buy a new Dubois-Depraz 2020 module at service time instead of servicing the existing one! (the module retails just under 200 bucks from Omega)

3. No resale value because it is not the real moonwatch. It is like the V6 Mustang. You get most of the looks but none of the go.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote