The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 December 2011, 06:28 AM   #1
SoftwareDrone
"TRF" Member

Watch: <-- likes to
Pre sales questions.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before (and I would be shocked if it weren't). I am looking at a watch that is brand new, unworn, all protective plastic and stickers, open (blank) warranty card, etc. at a substantial discount over an AD, from a watch retailer who has been in business for decades. In fact, I have already done business with this company and they were spot on.
What could go wrong with this scenario?
If I put my name on the warranty card, do I get the warranty?
If I leave the warranty card blank, then sell the watch in a year, will that blank card put more money in my pocket?
Thank you O watch Gurus...

I forgot to mention that I checked the TRF trusted sellers first.

Rolex Submariner (Blue V, YG)
Breitling Navitimer (Black SS)
Rolex Daytona (Black V SS)
Rolex GMTII Ceramic (Black V SS, Sold)
Rolex Daytona (White Random SS, Sold)
Girard Perregaux 8020 Ferrari (Yellow)
SoftwareDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The answer is no, not legally...

However, many folks have probably managed to use a warranty they didn't pay for..
Old 20 December 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
Sort of steeling if you ask me.

-Eddie
Old 20 December 2011, 11:12 AM   #4
77T
2024 Pledge Member

In the US the warranty is transferrable. What you need to know is whether the AD who sold it to the seller you're dealing with already registered it. In other words it could have only a partial warranty period left. No matter how many hands it passes through in the US, the warranty follows the watch. So you're not stealing anything.

If the AD never "started" the warranty, you have a bigger issue - how do you know it's not stolen property? You'd want the retailer to show you some provenance indicating it was purchased.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Mike don't do any funny business......Rolex has eyes everywhere & their maximum security prison in the Eiger is very rough......you wouldn't want to be sent there.....the Rolex elves will abuse you.
Old 20 December 2011, 11:18 AM   #6
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
In the US the warranty is transferable. What you need to know is whether the AD who sold it to the seller you're dealing with already registered it. In other words it could have only a partial warranty period left. No matter how many hands it passes through in the US, the warranty follows the watch. So you're not stealing anything.

If the AD never "started" the warranty, you have a bigger issue - how do you know it's not stolen property? You'd want the retailer to show you some provenance indicating it was purchased.
The US is one of the few countries that, technically, the warranty is not transferable....

There has been many threads on this topic, and RUSA is a stickler on the matter!
I don't have the warranty GIF at hand, but it clearly states the opposite of what you are saying.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

IF the watch is being used, and you purposely wait and either fill the warranty card out at a later date, OR sell it with an open warranty under the guise the warranty can be started whenever it is filled in.....then YES..that is stealing in my book. Color it how you like, but it is theft.

-Eddie
Old 20 December 2011, 11:46 AM   #8
matt4hand
Banned

Watch: Tramp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruner View Post
if the watch is being used, and you purposely wait and either fill the warranty card out at a later date, or sell it with an open warranty under the guise the warranty can be started whenever it is filled in.....then yes..that is steeling in my book. Color it how you like, but it is theft.

-eddie
x2
matt4hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 11:46 AM   #9
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Does the open warranty card has an AD stamp on it. Without it, it'd worth nothing.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 12:54 PM   #10
SoftwareDrone
"TRF" Member

Guys. It has never been my intention to do anything deceptive!
I'm just trying to figure out how it all works. If putting my name on a blank warranty card from a brand new watch purchased by a big watch retailer is wrong in some way, then no way would I do it - but that's what I'm asking you guys for as I honestly have no clue.
I have no idea how all of this works. I ponder many things, such as: how does the big watch retailer manage to acquire a brand new watch with a blank warranty card anyway? When I purchased my GMTIIc from an AD, they insisted that they fill out the warranty card right there in front of me, they wouldn't even hand me the pen and let me do it myself! What does that mean? And why do sellers talk about an "open warranty card" like it's some sort of bonus or benefit? Why would Rolex care where I bought the watch anyway?

Old 20 December 2011, 02:01 PM   #11
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
The US is one of the few countries that, technically, the warranty is not transferable....

There has been many threads on this topic, and RUSA is a stickler on the matter!
I don't have the warranty GIF at hand, but it clearly states the opposite of what you are saying.
Thats not true. The US limited warranty is very clear and the warranty is stays with the watch for the 2 year period.

From another thread:

Absolutely nothing about it being non-transferable.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 02:04 PM   #12
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The answer is no, not legally...

However, many folks have probably managed to use a warranty they didn't pay for..
100% agreed. If you want to legitimately have the Rolex warranty, purchase new from an AD... Often times grey dealers will offer a similar warranty to what Rolex offers to be competitive. This may be a viable option to consider as well if the dealer has been in business for years as you mentioned
Old 20 December 2011, 02:07 PM   #13
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Thats not true. The US limited warranty is very clear and the warranty is stairs with the watch for the 2 year period.

From another thread:

This tells me that the warranty is ONLY valid if the consumer requesting service from the warranty has THEIR name on the card as well as they purchased from an AD... What am I missing

I do NOT see this as being transferable.
Old 20 December 2011, 02:14 PM   #14
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
This tells me that the warranty is ONLY valid if the consumer requesting service from the warranty has THEIR name on the card as well as they purchased from an AD... What am I missing

I do NOT see this as being transferable.
The only criteria Rolex requires is 1) the watch was purchased by a consumer from an AD and 2) the warranty card is stamped and dated by the AD and 3) the watch has not been touched by anyone other than Rolex or modified.

The fact that it isn't clearly and conspicuously stated that the warranty is not transferable means it is. There is no ambiguity here. Like I've stated in many threads on this topic, look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Strangely, the modification exclusion is arguable since Rolex would have to prove the modification caused the failure that you are claiming to be covered. i.e. you add a diamond bezel but the watch no longer keeps time. Thats a whole different topic
Old 20 December 2011, 02:15 PM   #15
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The only criteria Roles requires is 1) the watch was purchased by a consumer from an AD and 2) the warranty card is stamped and dated by the AD and 3) the watch has not been touched by anyone other than Rolex or modified.

The fact that it isn't clearly and conspicuously stated that the warranty is not transferable means it is. There is no ambiguity here. Like I've stated in many threads on this topic, look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
It states it is only valid if the watch was sold to a consumer whose name appears on the warranty card... This means the consumers name requesting the warranty has to have their name on the card...
Old 20 December 2011, 02:16 PM   #16
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

I don't read it that way. To me it is to the person named on the card.

-Eddie

Quote:
Thats not true. The US limited warranty is very clear and the warranty is stays with the watch for the 2 year period.

From another thread:

Old 20 December 2011, 02:19 PM   #17
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
What if one keeps the Rolex watch purchased from a non AD, 2 years go by no problems....10 yrs. go by......will RSC service it (regular-you-pay-for-it-service).....you say you lost papers
Old 20 December 2011, 02:25 PM   #18
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
What if one keeps the Rolex watch purchased from a non AD, 2 years go by no problems....10 yrs. go by......will RSC service it (regular-you-pay-for-it-service).....you say you lost papers
Absolutely... you don't have to lie about the papers... The warranty would be expired at that time, as long as you pay for the service they would be happy to accommodate your request Trust me Rolex wants your money
Old 20 December 2011, 02:30 PM   #19
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebruner View Post
I don't read it that way. To me it is to the person named on the card.

-Eddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
It states it is only valid if the watch was sold to a consumer whose name appears on the warranty card... This means the consumers name requesting the warranty has to have their name on the card...
If that were the case, it would say something like:

This warranty will be valid if (1) the watch was sold to a consumer, whose name appears on the warranty card...

and NOT

"This warranty will be valid if (1) the watch was sold to a consumer by the Official ROLEX Jeweler whose name appears on the warranty card..."

The second one is the actual verbiage. They are clearly looking for the AD name, not the consumers name.

As I stated, a non-transferable warranty needs to be clearly stated as such. According to Federal law, any ambiguity automatically sides with the party who didn't write it...in other words, it favors you- the consumer
Old 20 December 2011, 02:38 PM   #20
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
I may be alone in thinking this. But, if I buy a watch with an open warranty, I am going to hold on to that warranty as long as there is nothing wrong with the watch. The moment something goes wrong, BAM! I fill out the warranty and get the watch fixed for free.

Call it what you may, but it is the obvious reason that "open warranty" is a sellers pitch.

I did it with my wife's 244. Bought the watch from a grey that I know that deals with an AD from Israel and when I had a problem with the crown, I took it to Mayors (a Panerai AD). 4-6 weeks later, I had a perfect watch.

I fail to see how this is dishonest or "stealing". The AD full well knew they were selling a watch with no name or date on the card. So what, am I the virtuous soul that is obligated to comply? I don't see that. I see it as a "get out of jail free" card.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 02:45 PM   #21
woods1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This warranty will be valid if (1) the watch was sold to a consumer, whose name appears on the warranty card...

and NOT

"This warranty will be valid if (1) the watch was sold to a consumer by the Official ROLEX Jeweler whose name appears on the warranty card..."

The second one is the actual verbiage. They are clearly looking for the AD name, not the consumers name.

As I stated, a non-transferable warranty needs to be clearly stated as such. According to Federal law, any ambiguity automatically sides with the party who didn't write it...in other words, it favors you- the consumer
Agree; they are looking for the Jeweler's name not the consumer's.
woods1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 02:46 PM   #22
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
I may be alone in thinking this. But, if I buy a watch with an open warranty, I am going to hold on to that warranty as long as there is nothing wrong with the watch. The moment something goes wrong, BAM! I fill out the warranty and get the watch fixed for free.

Call it what you may, but it is the obvious reason that "open warranty" is a sellers pitch.

I did it with my wife's 244. Bought the watch from a grey that I know that deals with an AD from Israel and when I had a problem with the crown, I took it to Mayors (a Panerai AD). 4-6 weeks later, I had a perfect watch.

I fail to see how this is dishonest or "stealing". The AD full well knew they were selling a watch with no name or date on the card. So what, am I the virtuous soul that is obligated to comply? I don't see that. I see it as a "get out of jail free" card.
That is stealing---Stealing from Rolex, not the AD. You are aware of when the clock started ticking on the warranty but want to post date the warranty it to cover a repair that is beyond the actual warranty period. Would you roll back your car's odometer if you could get away with it?
Old 20 December 2011, 02:46 PM   #23
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods1999 View Post
Agree; they are looking for the Jeweler's name not the consumer's.
Old 20 December 2011, 02:51 PM   #24
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Quote:

and NOT

English was not my best subject thank you for clarifying! Agree.
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 02:58 PM   #25
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post

Pep, I can see your reasoning but this is not the case, nor will it work!

First, Rolex will only honour a warranty if the card/papers are stamped with the AD's name and they are in fact, a Rolex authorized dealership at the time of sale.
Second, even if this dealer does not fill out the warranty, and it moves on to a grey dealer, Rolex is still informed of the sale and it is noted into the Rolex database. This becomes the sale date, irrelevant of the card being blank or not, as the original dealership has to provide inventory sales info to Rolex.
They need to do this to report numbers in order to apply for more stock...

Rolex always knows after a sale from a dealer!
If your card/papers are blank, count on the fact that Rolex knows when it moved from the dealer.

As for the transferable warranty, read back through the countless threads on the matter..
Fact is, Dallas has been lenient. NYC is still giving grief to it's consumers who are not named on the card!!

To add: Read the last sentence of this post made by Vanessa , one of our Rolex authorised Techs!!
http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost....91&postcount=4

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 04:03 AM   #26
SoftwareDrone
"TRF" Member

The retailer informed me that the warranty card is blank, but the AD they got it from is stamped in there.