The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 March 2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Schroeder4
"TRF" Member

GMT ii 6542, finding bakelite bezel

Hi there,

Sorry if this has already been addressed...I just couldn't find anything on it.

My father has a GMT ii, tropical face, original bakelite bezel. However, he recently dropped it while going through airport security...ouch. Of course, the bezel broke.

From what I've been able to research, this is the most expensive part. And they're elusive. Does anyone have any tips as to where I can find an original bezel, or where I should be looking. And ball park how much they sell for?

Thanks in advance.
Schroeder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 06:03 PM   #2
yoast
"TRF" Member

Ouch indeed! Just the insert goes somewhere north of 25-30K usd these days I believe. That is - if you can find one.
You can place a WTB on various forums as they are out there...

Might have the movement checked out as well, after a drop...

Good luck
yoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Mike Wood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Listen & Learn!
A little clarification may be helpful here.

The "bakelite" acrylic bezel GMT-Master is ref. 6542 (the 6541 is a Milgauss - very different animal altogether!), and dates from the mid to late 1950's period. There is no GMT-Master ii with bakelite bezel.

Original replacement bakelite bezels are unobtainable...finding a good one in the secondary market will easily be $25,000-35,000 if you can find someone willing to sell one.

A replacement Rolex metal bezel for the 6542 can be sourced and fitted for less than $1,000. It's a genuine bona fide "fix", and is more durable and practical.

There are also very good fake acrylic bezels which can be fitted for around $350. This will preserve the look of the watch, and is an alternative solution.

Good luck!

MW
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 12:33 AM   #4
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
+1, said it all.

PS, You said it broke. Did he secure all the pieces. These can be repaired and that is a better choice imo.
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 04:28 AM   #5
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
+1, said it all.

Ps, you said it broke. Did he secure all the pieces. These can be repaired and that is a better choice imo.
+1
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 04:33 AM   #6
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Is the insert beyond saving?
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 05:46 AM   #7
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Be careful with the pieces of bakelite and the powder/luminous, they are quite dangerous to breathe or ingest.... :(
Old 4 March 2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Schroeder4
"TRF" Member

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies! I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately the bezel broke in two places, and a small piece is missing... Probably couldn't have happened in a worse area. The airport security wouldn't let him search for it. So somewhere in LAX is the tiny missing piece to the original bezel. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a problem with repairing it.

I obviously don't know the specs as well as my father, haha. But I'm pretty sure it's a 6542 Mike. Gmt master with tropical face, and bakelite bezel? Does that sound right? Haha.
I have seen the metal bezels, but they just don't look right after the bakelite in my opinion. But obviously if practicality is there, they are worth considering. Thank you for the advice!

I would have never sold the watch anyway, so perhaps I'll be able to actually wear it now knowing it isn't a small fortune on my wrist... Thanks for your replies!
Old 4 March 2016, 11:03 AM   #9
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
If it really is a small piece, that can be replaced as well. It won't be totally original but well worth the effort.
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 11:40 AM   #10
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
Pictures please? Sorry to hear about the accident.
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 11:59 AM   #11
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Try to find a professional restorer. Without the original bezel the watch looses its value. A restored bezel is better than any aftermarket.
Old 5 March 2016, 06:20 AM   #12
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder4 View Post
Unfortunately the bezel broke in two places, and a small piece is missing... Probably couldn't have happened in a worse area. The airport security wouldn't let him search for it. So somewhere in LAX is the tiny missing piece to the original bezel. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a problem with repairing it.
I wonder how security had reacted if he had told them it was radioactive...

Maybe go back with a geiger counter and search for the missing piece?

Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 01:27 PM   #13
Schroeder4
"TRF" Member

Here is a picture of the watch in its current state. The missing piece is obviously by the 18, and the other fracture is through the 22.

Definitely going to look into having it repaired professionaly. I think that is the best option. Would anyone have any suggestions as to where or who I should start approaching? I'm located in Sydney, Australia if that helps. I assume there are a very select few who work on such matters in this part of the world, haha.

Thanks again for your help.

Ps. The picture rotated for some reason when I uploaded it, and I can't figure out how to turn it. But you can still see...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5110.jpg (94.2 KB, 658 views)
Old 5 March 2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Schroeder4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
A little clarification may be helpful here.

The "bakelite" acrylic bezel GMT-Master is ref. 6542 (the 6541 is a Milgauss - very different animal altogether!), and dates from the mid to late 1950's period. There is no GMT-Master ii with bakelite bezel.

Original replacement bakelite bezels are unobtainable...finding a good one in the secondary market will easily be $25,000-35,000 if you can find someone willing to sell one.

A replacement Rolex metal bezel for the 6542 can be sourced and fitted for less than $1,000. It's a genuine bona fide "fix", and is more durable and practical.

There are also very good fake acrylic bezels which can be fitted for around $350. This will preserve the look of the watch, and is an alternative solution.

Good luck!

MW
I just noticed the unfortunate typo of "6541" in the thread heading. I understand the confusion now, haha. I can't figure out how to change it either! Sorry.
Old 5 March 2016, 10:09 PM   #15
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder4 View Post
Here is a picture of the watch in its current state. The missing piece is obviously by the 18, and the other fracture is through the 22.

Definitely going to look into having it repaired professionaly. I think that is the best option. Would anyone have any suggestions as to where or who I should start approaching? I'm located in Sydney, Australia if that helps. I assume there are a very select few who work on such matters in this part of the world, haha.

Thanks again for your help.

Ps. The picture rotated for some reason when I uploaded it, and I can't figure out how to turn it. But you can still see...
i want to cry I really don't know what to say, probably a professional repairer would be my first choice but, really, he or she must be a real genius to do something with that bezel.

Whatever path you will decide to follow, please post some pictures after the fix.

Eventually, if the repaired bezel should look too bad, try a plastic replacement as MW suggested.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 11:00 PM   #16
yoast
"TRF" Member

I think Michael young might be o e of the only ones that I know of that would be able do something with that.
He's in Hong Kong. I'd definitely give him a ring.
Here are his details:
http://www.classicwatchrepair.com

Good luck!
yoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 12:04 PM   #17
Schroeder4
"TRF" Member

Great, thank you yoast for that! I will definitely look him up.

Will keep you posted on the repair/replacement of the watch and post pics after. Thank you all so much for your help!
Old 6 March 2016, 12:12 PM   #18
05carbondrz
Banned

What about buying a repro Insert and using a chunk of it to graft into the original?
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 12:13 PM   #19
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Sorry this happened. I know it won't be the same, but that seems like maybe a professional might be able to salvage that bezel. Maybe mold a piece a plastic to it? It really doesn't look like a total loss, IMO. Good luck to you.
Old 6 March 2016, 12:32 PM   #20
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
Schroeder, sorry for your dad's mishap. It must have been devastating when he realized the full extent of the damage.

Too bad that he didn't think about offering a reward to the airport staff for anyone finding and returning it. The prospect of getting a "C" note for a little piece of plastic might have made the staff there a little bit more helpful in this situation. It might not be too late, who knows if that piece isn't stuck in some corner in the vicinity of the accident.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 12:43 PM   #21
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jban5 View Post
Schroeder, sorry for your dad's mishap. It must have been devastating when he realized the full extent of the damage.

Too bad that he didn't think about offering a reward to the airport staff for anyone finding and returning it. The prospect of getting a "C" note for a little piece of plastic might have made the staff there a little bit more helpful in this situation. It might not be too late, who knows if that piece isn't stuck in some corner in the vicinity of the accident.
It is more than likely sucked up into a Vacuum Bag by now.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 01:07 PM   #22
chessebj
Banned

Is the watch insured for its full value?
chessebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 11:05 AM   #23
watchpatina
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16200
Ugh... they usually don't make you take your watch off going through security. Incredible your dad still has a no crown guard GMT, but bummed hearing what happened to it. It's still very badass even with the chip.

Founder/Editor watchpatina.com
Instagram @watchpatina
watchpatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 12:22 PM   #24
JohnnyNoDate
"TRF" Member

Ouch, that hurts to look at...

Do bakelight inserts really command $20k+ now? Crazy!

Try the bezel-less look while you're out finding a replacement. The rest of that watch is a total badass.
JohnnyNoDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 03:14 PM   #25
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNoDate View Post
Ouch, that hurts to look at...

Do bakelight inserts really command $20k+ now? Crazy!

Try the bezel-less look while you're out finding a replacement. The rest of that watch is a total badass.
Yep, the price of a used BMW
Old 15 March 2016, 07:19 PM   #26
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
What about buying a repro Insert and using a chunk of it to graft into the original?
Good idea
Old 18 March 2016, 05:00 AM   #27
SgWatchBaron
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref 6265 PN Panda
It's a sad day for the 6542 community and the OP. As there is one less complete untouched Bakelite in the world.
SgWatchBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 01:57 AM   #28
koorb
2024 Pledge Member

Here is an option

I bought a 6542 with bakelite insert and immediately sent to a well known Rolex service/repair person in Dallas to carefully remove the bezel and bezel insert and put on an aftermarket one. I am clumsy around doors and did not want to break the bakelite. It worked out great. Send me a PM if you want more details. Here are some before/after pics.

Here is the link to my VRF post.
Good Luck

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...age/1378057538
koorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2016, 05:43 PM   #29
Schroeder4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koorb View Post
I bought a 6542 with bakelite insert and immediately sent to a well known Rolex service/repair person in Dallas to carefully remove the bezel and bezel insert and put on an aftermarket one. I am clumsy around doors and did not want to break the bakelite. It worked out great. Send me a PM if you want more details. Here are some before/after pics.

Here is the link to my VRF post.
Good Luck

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...age/1378057538
Thanks for those pics! It looks great. And that was a clever idea...if only my Dad had done that sooner!
He is going to Hong Kong this week and will most likely get it fixed there, so will be sure to post an after pic.
Old 4 April 2016, 05:44 PM   #30
Schroeder4
"TRF" Member

Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgWatchBaron View Post
It's a sad day for the 6542 community and the OP. As there is one less complete untouched Bakelite in the world.
I know. I'm sorry. It makes me sad to think of the history that was broken more than anything...