The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 October 2017, 02:11 PM   #1831
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Thanks

Edit : What would you recommend as a good polish for chromexcel?

Typically I don’t and generally I only use conditioner. However if you get a scuff that won’t buff out with a brush and a bit of conditioner then and only then i’ll Use the closest brown cream I have on hand. By the way Saphir does have a specific cream for Chromexcel but based on what I heard at the time it's not all it's cracked up to be. Besides as I said I only use cream sparingly to cover scuffs as this is not a leather which was designed to or requires polishing such as calf leather does.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 02:16 PM   #1832
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
Thank you for posting the video Dan. Very informative along with your comments in this thread. I have been considering buying a pair but have been confused as well.

For wear and tare it definitely looks like the calf holds up much better but the color is a more difficult one to wear with many colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir.

To a point, however as I tried to say Chromexcel is actually a very hearty type of leather. It may not appear as nice but in fact it’s an excellent leather especially when it comes to more inclement weather and I tend to like that color better. I actually purchased the calf version but I have a number of other Chromexcel boots and even a pair of shoes in that leather. It just depends whether your looking for something that looks nicer or something that actually performs better. The creasing is actually pretty common for Chromexcel boots or shoes.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2017, 02:20 PM   #1833
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post
FYI - my buddy on SF is organizing a Group MTO (saves on the MTO upcharge) for a
Gaziano & Girling Thorpe Boot in
Chestnut kudu
Mh71 last,
single wensum sole,
blind eye let,
storm welt,
cost is 1330$
Let me know if you want to contact him.
I have a pair of the same boots on the same Last but in oak kudu. Fabulous just frigging fabulous. I would highly recommend getting a pair of G&G shoe trees if you decide to get them though. That would probably add another $200 however for me it’s a worthwhile investment for a shoe tree which is the closest match to this Last on a pair of boots or shoes which cost north of $1000 even though I know others disagree.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2017, 02:35 PM   #1834
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I recently bought a pair of Red Wing iron rangers, they are obviously not made of such fine leather as Edward Green but I think they're great for every day.

I have to be careful visiting this thread, the enabling is strong here

Nice choice! I’ve been eyeing those myself. Being I live in Minnesota, I’m kind of ashamed I don’t own a pair of Iron Rangers...yet. Did you find you had to go down a half size on them?

El-Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 04:51 PM   #1835
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Duderino View Post
Nice choice! I’ve been eyeing those myself. Being I live in Minnesota, I’m kind of ashamed I don’t own a pair of Iron Rangers...yet. Did you find you had to go down a half size on them?
I'm usually a size 43 (EU size chart) and in my iron rangers I'm a size 41. I don't know what the US sizes are, sorry.

They were very stiff the first few days (not uncomfortable) but are now slowly getting softer and they feel fantastic. Great boots.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 12:03 PM   #1836
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Thank you sir.

To a point, however as I tried to say Chromexcel is actually a very hearty type of leather. It may not appear as nice but in fact it’s an excellent leather especially when it comes to more inclement weather and I tend to like that color better. I actually purchased the calf version but I have a number of other Chromexcel boots and even a pair of shoes in that leather. It just depends whether your looking for something that looks nicer or something that actually performs better. The creasing is actually pretty common for Chromexcel boots or shoes.

I really like the color of the Chromexcel boots as well and it’s weather resistance. The only thing that gives me pause is the scuffing that seems to be severe, in the area that rubs near the heel when you drive a car. Is this normal wear?

Thanks for sharing your insight with us. I have learned a lot from you Dan.

Old 14 October 2017, 02:13 PM   #1837
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really like the color of the Chromexcel boots as well and it’s weather resistance. The only thing that gives me pause is the scuffing that seems to be severe, in the area that rubs near the heel when you drive a car. Is this normal wear?

Thanks for sharing your insight with us. I have learned a lot from you Dan.

Thank you. The pleasure is mine really since it’s a passion of mine and hopefully I have been of some help.

I think that just depends on the individual. I don’t seem to have that issue. The one thing that kind of drives me nuts about the Alden Indy boot is the tongue. Since it’s not connected or sewn to the sides of the boot it can travel. There are remedies for this such as having a cobbler sewing it to one side or the other. It really is too long of a tongue not to be attached at least partially to the side of the boot. I’ve seen where some individuals have a cobbler punch a small hole near the top of the tongue and sew it to the side of the boot. At least that’s the way I remember it being done. I never did this to mine and I just kind of put up with the issue when I wear them.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 October 2017, 12:23 AM   #1838
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. The pleasure is mine really since it’s a passion of mine and hopefully I have been of some help.

I think that just depends on the individual. I don’t seem to have that issue. The one thing that kind of drives me nuts about the Alden Indy boot is the tongue. Since it’s not connected or sewn to the sides of the boot it can travel. There are remedies for this such as having a cobbler sewing it to one side or the other. It really is too long of a tongue not to be attached at least partially to the side of the boot. I’ve seen where some individuals have a cobbler punch a small hole near the top of the tongue and sew it to the side of the boot. At least that’s the way I remember it being done. I never did this to mine and I just kind of put up with the issue when I wear them.

You have been a great help to me. I have been following this thread for at least a year or more, I knew nothing before. Everyone who posts in this thread has done much to enlighten those of us new to these higher quality shows. Thank you Dan and to everyone else who has posted here.

Old 15 October 2017, 12:48 AM   #1839
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You have been a great help to me. I have been following this thread for at least a year or more, I knew nothing before. Everyone who posts in this thread has done much to enlighten those of us new to these higher quality shows. Thank you Dan and to everyone else who has posted here.

If you haven’t I’d recommend that you have a look at Styleforum they have appreciation threads for a great number of shoemakers to include Allen Edmonds, Redwing, Alden, C&J, Rancourt, Edward Green, and much more.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 October 2017, 12:55 AM   #1840
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you haven’t I’d recommend that you have a look at Styleforum they have appreciation threads for a great number of shoemakers to include Allen Edmonds, Redwing, Alden, C&J, Rancourt, Edward Green, and much more.

Old 17 October 2017, 05:07 AM   #1841
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Didn't we have a boots thread too?

Anyway, yesterday I took out my winter boots from storage and put away my summer boots. Left row, summer boots, front to back: John Lobb, Carmina, Bonafe, Viberg and Allen Edmonds. Right row, winter boots, front to back: Gaziano&Girling, Edward Green, Crocket&Jones, Bonafe, Chippewaa.

Favourite summer boots are Viberg and Carmina, favourite winter boots are G&G and Edward Green. Dress boots are John Lobb and Bonafe winter boots.

I walk between 1500 and 2000 kilometers per year so I need good boots that can be repaired and resoled.

Oh, I bought the Chippewaa test pilot boots last year when they were on sale briefly and I only wear then when it is really cold(they are warm!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boots17.jpg (95.1 KB, 259 views)
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:29 AM   #1842
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

Anyway, yesterday I took out my winter boots from storage and put away my summer boots. Left row, summer boots, front to back: John Lobb, Carmina, Bonafe, Viberg and Allen Edmonds. Right row, winter boots, front to back: Gaziano&Girling, Edward Green, Crocket&Jones, Bonafe, Chippewaa.

Favourite summer boots are Viberg and Carmina, favourite winter boots are G&G and Edward Green. Dress boots are John Lobb and Bonafe winter boots.

I walk between 1500 and 2000 kilometers per year so I need good boots that can be repaired and resoled.

Oh, I bought the Chippewaa test pilot boots last year when they were on sale briefly and I only wear then when it is really cold(they are warm!).
Fantastic collection!
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:43 AM   #1843
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
The first word was "Wow," you have some wonderful boots. If you had to pick one pair, which one would be your favourites please? (You would need to point them out in your photo).

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 09:25 AM   #1844
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

I'm looking at boots now... You've given me a few more ideas.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 11:43 AM   #1845
Abdullah71601
Banned

Does anyone have any experience with G&G Deco last? I've read on SF that the Deco last fits the same as their other lasts. I'm looking at a pair of these boots, but need the last to fit like an MH71.

https://www.gazianogirling.com/colle...and-grain-deco
Old 17 October 2017, 04:06 PM   #1846
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with G&G Deco last? I've read on SF that the Deco last fits the same as their other lasts. I'm looking at a pair of these boots, but need the last to fit like an MH71.

https://www.gazianogirling.com/colle...and-grain-deco
From what i’ve read on Styleforum it sounds as the Deco Last is more sleek or in other words more narrow than their other Lasts.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 October 2017, 04:09 PM   #1847
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Fabulous, simply fabulous!!

Yes, there was a separate boot thread. Hasn’t popped up for the longest time.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 October 2017, 08:40 PM   #1848
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
From what i’ve read on Styleforum it sounds as the Deco Last is more sleek or in other words more narrow than their other Lasts.
I had heard that as well. So, I emailed G&G last week. I didn't get a response until a few minutes ago. Javior said that all of their lasts are designed to fit the same (only toe box and other non-fit characteristics differ). Once you have determined your size all of their shoes will fit the same.
Old 17 October 2017, 10:42 PM   #1849
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had heard that as well. So, I emailed G&G last week. I didn't get a response until a few minutes ago. Javior said that all of their lasts are designed to fit the same (only toe box and other non-fit characteristics differ). Once you have determined your size all of their shoes will fit the same.
Hmm, that’s weird because I have a hard time believing either have anything to gain by not telling the truth. Maybe it’s possible I misunderstood what they said but it seems you got the same impression. Is there any chance he misunderstood the question and didn’t realize you were asking specifically in regards to the Deco Last? Did he say by any chance what made the toe box on the Deco Last different?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 October 2017, 10:48 PM   #1850
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
It actually feels like fall today, so first time wearing these this year. So happy to be able to wear boots again!

Loake Kempton

.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 10:53 PM   #1851
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
It actually feels like fall today, so first time wearing these this year. So happy to be able to wear boots again!

Loake Kempton

Nice, I too Luv boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 October 2017, 11:12 PM   #1852
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Hmm, that’s weird because I have a hard time believing either have anything to gain by not telling the truth. Maybe it’s possible I misunderstood what they said but it seems you got the same impression. Is there any chance he misunderstood the question and didn’t realize you were asking specifically in regards to the Deco Last? Did he say by any chance what made the toe box on the Deco Last different?
I was very specific in my question. The reply was pretty clear. I do know the loafer last fits exactly the same as the MH71. I also found a thread comparing the deco last to others at a trunk show and posters saying it fit the same.

I’ll give it a shot. I need a new work boot and these will last decades.
Old 17 October 2017, 11:20 PM   #1853
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was very specific in my question. The reply was pretty clear. I do know the loafer last fits exactly the same as the MH71. I also found a thread comparing the deco last to others at a trunk show and posters saying it fit the same.

Huh, I always heard it was more narrow. But if that’s the case I do wonder what makes it different with regards to the toe box. Besides even if it’s a more narrow toe box depending on your foot that can make a big difference.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 October 2017, 06:04 AM   #1854
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
The first word was "Wow," you have some wonderful boots. If you had to pick one pair, which one would be your favourites please? (You would need to point them out in your photo).
First of all, I only wear boots except when bicycling or at the beach, so these are all of my shoes basically.

The most comfortable pair I have is the Carmina MTO dress boot just behind the dark blue John Lobbs in the left. I wear them so much that I need to get them resoled again soon and repaired a bit too.

The best looking pair is the Gaziano and Girling Thorpe in vintage rioja. They are in the front to the right in the picture.
Old 18 October 2017, 06:14 AM   #1855
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have climbed trees with a six year old in my G&G Thorpes, I am sure those will be fine work boots.

However, some might argue that they are a tad expensive for work boots... but they are not, since they will last very long when you take care of them.
Old 22 October 2017, 10:45 PM   #1856
Rondineli
Banned

Watch: DJ II
I spent a week and half in Brazil to see family and friends... and I just landed back at IAH and got back home

... ordered this before I left

Rondineli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:57 PM   #1857
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondineli View Post
I spent a week and half in Brazil to see family and friends... and I just landed back at IAH and got back home

... ordered this before I left

Congrats, Nice looking boot.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 October 2017, 10:59 PM   #1858
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have climbed trees with a six year old in my G&G Thorpes, I am sure those will be fine work boots.

However, some might argue that they are a tad expensive for work boots... but they are not, since they will last very long when you take care of them.
Your braver than I am. Besides with my luck I would probably either fall out of the tree or take a chunk out of my boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 23 October 2017, 12:17 AM   #1859
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Nice boots! I didn’t realize AE made a Galway-style boot. It is an awesome design so I can’t blame them.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 12:53 AM   #1860
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Nice boots! I didn’t realize AE made a Galway-style boot. It is an awesome design so I can’t blame them.
I was actually going to say the same thing, however it’s not all that surprising as it seems as almost as everyone has done the same. In fact many have modeled as close as possible. Some are not able to pulling it off as well as others as it can often look a bit off if not really bad for one reason or another. Some because it just looks bad or odd at least to me. Some because the Last it’s on, quality of materials used, design, or attention to detail. Vass for example because of their very unique Last, and then there’s a Spanish shoemaker where the name escapes me and there quality has always been uneven. I think Enzo Bonafe’s Galway look a like is the best I’ve seen to date. The added benefit is that Enzo uses suede which is on par with that of Edward Green. The stitching is not identical but Last, design, and materials are fairly close at least based on the pictures I’ve seen. Personally however the choice is still easy for me. There’s nothing that beats or even comes close to equaling the original EG Galway in my opinion.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons