The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2017, 03:29 AM   #1
Drives550
"TRF" Member

First time here, new Oysterquartz for me.

Hello forum -

I've lurked around, bought a Citizen Chronomaster from somebody on here, but not yet participated. I like watches and people, so here I am.

Prior to this my daily wearer was a Submariner. Worn for about 9 months. Very nice. A synergy of tangibles more than the sum of its parts. Had it serviced and it runs about 2 second slow a day. Time-keeping then is good, but I ride a commuter rail all week, and have 2 little kids at home, so I'm often counting minute or 30 second increments which then implicates legibility. And legibility of the Sub to the minute at a glance is not good for me. It’s very legible within a 2-3 minute window. But I’d find myself staring to try to figure out if I had 1 minute or 2 before the train came (why doesn't the minute hand meet the marker? And why end the lume before the taper?). Do I walk or have to run? I couldn’t tell! Run. And running for the train I don't like.

With that in mind, I always liked the OQ then I bought one OQ for my wife as an anniversary gift (silver face) about 6 months ago. Cemented my feelings for the OQ. So, sought one for myself, black or blue face. Found one after a few months at a price I thought reasonable-ish. Dark faces do seem to command a bit of a premium.

It's a 6,4xxx, so 1980-ish I believe. Clasp is GC, also ‘80-81 by my research. But, no "t" on the dial so must have been replaced. Also has the laser etched crown, so also a replacement. Given the dial and crown replacement and minty condition, I’m figuring it’s likely been polished; but, bevels are super sharp, finish is otherwise correct. So if it was, it was done well. My goal was minty, so I'm fine with factory replacement parts. It’s not *quite* as legible as my the Chronomaster (my current benchmark), but pretty close - can read down to the seconds at a glance-plus. And it’s certainly more to my style. I do dig it. Definitely liking the smaller sized watches, generally, and the 70's aesthetic particularly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Front.jpg (82.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex Sides.jpg (71.5 KB, 130 views)
Drives550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 11:15 PM   #2
fmc000
Banned

Beauty, really mint. Congrats.

Not only the dial and crystal but probably the hands and the date wheel are also replacements.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 11:20 PM   #3
ag986
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233, First Rolex
Very nice, congratulations & welcome!
ag986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Star Ferry
Banned

Congrats. It's a sweet Rolex that you don't see in the wild very often
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 11:35 PM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Congrats...cool watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 12:19 AM   #6
Drives550
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the kind words and letting me share the enthusiasm.
Drives550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 12:40 AM   #7
teb1013
"TRF" Member

Love the Oysterquartz, I wish they still made them. As you say the 70s vibe is great. I have a 36mm DJ and the size is perfect and very easy to read. Polished or not, yours looks brand new. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
teb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote