The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2010, 06:41 AM   #1
190sl57

Opinions on Model 14233 Non-date

I have just looked at a new two-tone 14233 at an AD. I know they are a smaller in size than a DateJust and without a date (and it is now a discontinued model), but it is a fine-looking watch.

I do not see any references or opinions on this model in recent history on this Forum. Do any members own (or have owned) one? Any opionions or advice on buying one?

Thank you, Bob
190sl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2010, 06:52 AM   #2
DRAWTOOL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190sl57 View Post
I have just looked at a new two-tone 14233 at an AD. I know they are a smaller in size than a DateJust and without a date (and it is now a discontinued model), but it is a fine-looking watch.

I do not see any references or opinions on this model in recent history on this Forum. Do any members own (or have owned) one? Any opionions or advice on buying one?

Thank you, Bob
Welcome to the forum Bob!
I think that ref. is a super watch, clean and simple and dressy!
DRAWTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2010, 06:54 AM   #3
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Bob, welcome to TRF!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The Oyster Perpetual has always been a very popular model. the 34mm diameter is still considered a Men's size and a very nice piece for business or formal wear and is the same size as the very popular Air King.

It does not have the industrial heavy-duty look that is common today so it is not a favorite of the night-club set or fashionistas...but it may still be around for a long while. Rolex recently came out with the Oyster Perpetual in a 36mm size though..the same size as the extremely popular DateJust and Explorer..

On the wrist it would take a very well seasoned WIS to tell the difference in size...........
Old 27 February 2010, 01:14 AM   #5
190sl57

Thank you all for the input. There are a few fans of the watch out there.

My greatest concern is the size of the OP (ref. 14233). I am used to wearing a normal-sized DateJust and am concerned the watch may be somewhat too small. However, I do have a smaller wrist (@ a bit less that 7"), and also wear a Omega Constellation frequently which seems to be about 34 mm--but a larger bracelet.

I was also worried about the apparent lower resale value, but in truth I would plan to give this to my son in the long run anyway. And, he has about the same sized wrists as me.

I guess this is a 24kt. problem. Either buy this one new at the AD, or wait for a ref. 16233 to come along for a similar price later this year.

I guess I ought to just go to the AD and tell him my concerns--who knows what will happen.

Have a good weekend all,

Bob
Old 4 April 2010, 04:49 AM   #6
jta52
"TRF" Member

I have this watch, 14233 with a 62523H jubilee band, I've only seen it though, in an oyster band. Traded for it at a NAWCC show in 1993 from a well know Texas dealer. After wearing a 1601 and a Big Block Tudor Chrono, the watch seems small. Mine has the Roman numeral dial, is a beautiful watch. When women started wearing larger watches, surprised it is not more sort after.
jta52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 02:56 AM   #7
190sl57

I bought a new one from my AD in March.

I have broken it in for about three weeks and have come to the conclusion that, while slightly smaller than a DateJust, its size is just fine for me. I spent way too much time thinking about 34mm vs. 36 mm--and actually walked away once. Oddly, I almost bought exactly the same watch in 1973. Looks as fine today as it did then.

It is working out as a great watch and is also a very fine timepiece--minus 5 seconds after 3+ continuous weeks.

Thanks for all of your earlier comments & thoughts.

Bob
Old 7 April 2010, 03:09 AM   #8
BMAN8
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, Bob! I hope you continiue to enjoy your new Oyster Perpetual for many years.
BMAN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 03:20 PM   #9
stlrammer
"TRF" Member

Rolex 14233

I've owned three of these and I love them. I prefer the 14233M which has the movement that allows you to wind the watch or use self wind.
stlrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 01:05 AM   #10
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The Oyster Perpetual has always been a very popular model. the 34mm diameter is still considered a Men's size and a very nice piece for business or formal wear and is the same size as the very popular Air King.

It does not have the industrial heavy-duty look that is common today so it is not a favorite of the night-club set or fashionistas...but it may still be around for a long while. Rolex recently came out with the Oyster Perpetual in a 36mm size though..the same size as the extremely popular DateJust and Explorer..

On the wrist it would take a very well seasoned WIS to tell the difference in size...........
Great understated Rolex.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 01:10 AM   #11
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

You cannot go wrong as that is a classic size and style.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote