The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 July 2015, 07:56 PM   #1
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
6542 price

A elderly neighbour has a full set 6542 it was serviced once ,20yrs ago and had a new bracelet , he is considering selling it , whats it worth ?

Dial is perfect , bakerlite bezel looks unmarked very faded though, case looks nice the replacement bracelet is worn out ,

His wife bought it for him when he passed his Bar exams 50 +yrs ago.

He asked my advice as he knows I like watches . My advice was keep it !. His wife passed away about 10 yrs ago and he is a funny old bugger and would love to help him get all the money its worth

He is going to have a look for what bits he has with it but said everything it came with is some where at home
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 08:17 PM   #2
fmc000
Banned

Without pics it's almost impossible to answer IMHO.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 12:11 AM   #3
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
A good portion of the value of a 6542 is how nice the Bakelite bezel still is. They were highly prone to cracking and breaking. Pics are definitely needed for proper valuation.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 12:26 AM   #4
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Put it in an auction with southebys. Tell him to negotiate a low commission since it Could be a piece thta graces a catalog cover. 5 pct is good.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 01:43 AM   #5
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Put it in an auction with southebys. Tell him to negotiate a low commission since it Could be a piece thta graces a catalog cover. 5 pct is good.
auction houses could be a good route, or throw it on ebay for $150k obo or something stupid just so it gets a lot of attention, publicity, ect, and wait for the sharks to come to you.

all in all it sounds like it's probably a $50k+ watch you never know what prestine original examples will command. he's had it for over 50 years, shouldn't be a rush to get rid of it now, might as well maximize profit.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 01:51 AM   #6
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
auction houses could be a good route, or throw it on ebay for $150k obo or something stupid just so it gets a lot of attention, publicity, ect, and wait for the sharks to come to you.

all in all it sounds like it's probably a $50k+ watch you never know what prestine original examples will command could be $100k not much to compare it too other than past auction records which are all over the place . he's had it for over 50 years, shouldn't be a rush to get rid of it now, might as well maximize profit.
Probably NOT a $50K+ watch. I have just sold a very attractive, all-original example with no damage to the bezel for under $40K. It is very difficult to achieve over $50K for this model, and it will need to be truly special and spectacular to achieve that number. Most fall between $30-40K with all correct and original components in good condition. Good luck.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 01:56 AM   #7
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Nice find. love to see scans
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 01:57 AM   #8
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw3 View Post
Probably NOT a $50K+ watch. I have just sold a very attractive, all-original example with no damage to the bezel for under $40K. It is very difficult to achieve over $50K for this model, and it will need to be truly special and spectacular to achieve that number. Most fall between $30-40K with all correct and original components in good condition. Good luck.

Michael
https://www.collectorsquare.com/mont...rolex-6542/lpi

just basing off of past auction results, with a decent bezel,Dial and B&P 50k doesn't seem too out of the question to me.

only one I've seen for sale recently is Jaceks example which was $39k last I saw with a cracked bezel and the dial wasn't all too clean.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=417408

I don't see it on his website anymore so I assume it sold.
Old 31 July 2015, 03:18 AM   #9
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Are you sure it has the bakelite bezel?
They usually do not fade.
"Very faded", sounds like a bezel with the aluminum insert. That would be a $10k-$25k part to replace with original.
There are several dial variations with this watch as well, that can effect value.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 06:33 AM   #10
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
If it has a Bakelite bezel, it could be very valuable, without the Bakelite you're better off spending the same money on a small hand or pcg 1675
Old 31 July 2015, 02:27 PM   #11
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
https://www.collectorsquare.com/mont...rolex-6542/lpi

just basing off of past auction results, with a decent bezel,Dial and B&P 50k doesn't seem too out of the question to me.

only one I've seen for sale recently is Jaceks example which was $39k last I saw with a cracked bezel and the dial wasn't all too clean.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=417408

I don't see it on his website anymore so I assume it sold.
I wish anyone whose name is not "Christie" attempting to sell a 6542 that is not pristine in every way for $50K or more the best of luck. I have been doing this for a little while already. The sheer number of "unsold" auction results cited in the link you provided should be evidence enough.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 02:37 PM   #12
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw3 View Post
I wish anyone whose name is not "Christie" attempting to sell a 6542 that is not pristine in every way for $50K or more the best of luck. I have been doing this for a little while already. The sheer number of "unsold" auction results cited in the link you provided should be evidence enough.

Michael
I respect your opinion very much, just saying it has potential to be, obviously with auction houses there's fees, and resellers need to make their money, but I've yet to see a b&p 6542, and even more rare a one owner, he'll probably get closer to 30k, but at the end of the rainbow it could see 50k if it is prestine, although with the bezel being recalled and it being serviced, theres a good possibility it's not original.

The unsold ones did speak quite a bit though, I just wasn't sure whether they were treasured too much or just took a long while to sell

And pics are really required as the bezel is half the watch
Old 2 August 2015, 02:16 AM   #13
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I know of a full set in 9/10 that sold for 70k last year. Case was polished 1 time and it was a nice watch. It sold fast at that price. Keep in mind since then most major currencies versus the dollar are down 20-40%.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2015, 05:01 AM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
I know of a full set in 9/10 that sold for 70k last year. Case was polished 1 time and it was a nice watch. It sold fast at that price. Keep in mind since then most major currencies versus the dollar are down 20-40%.
I know the previous owner of that watch - I saw it, looked at it, admired it, and would have to say it was quite nice. It was well worth the selling price.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote