The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2017, 12:25 PM   #1
themast
"TRF" Member

Questions for leather band experts

I need to provide a bit of background before I ask the questions. Please bear with me, I will try to be concise.

A few months ago I got a vintage watch cleaned and serviced. I did not pay much for the work and I was also given a watch band for free. I therefore assumed the band was low quality. After I wore the watch no more than 5-6 times, the tip of the band started to peel off (see last photo).

So, I thought: "well, sure it is a cheap band, not surprising". Then I went on Amazon and I bought a new band for $89 thinking about treating myself to a decent quality band.

And now we get to the point: the leather on the new band seems exactly the same as the old band!!! In photos the new one seems better but in real life it is just a bit shinier. I can seee some differences in manufacturing but I am not sure they justify the price (see how the leather wraps around the spring bar area and how the two layers are bonded along the edges).

Questions are:
- did I spend $89 on a $10 band?
- does the new band have the same leather but better craftsmanship?
- does the new band have better leather and craftsmanship?

I am surprised I am asking these questions because I think I can usually recognize quality but here I am a bit confused. Perhaps wearing the band for a few days will answer my questions but by just looking at it I fear it will deteriorate as quickly as the old one.

Opinions?

IMG_6107.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

Ps: Moderator, I know this is not the appropriate section but I would appreciate if you could leave the thread here for a while so that I can reach a broader audience.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Looks like a thin veneer glued onto an inexpensive bit of saddle leather. A good lined and raised band will have the croc stitched to a high quality calf backer, with a bit of liner material inserted between. You should expect to pay over $200 for a decent quality croc band.

FWIW, alligator is a more durable leather and will last a life time.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 12:51 PM   #3
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Looks like a thin veneer glued onto an inexpensive bit of saddle leather. A good lined and raised band will have the croc stitched to a high quality calf backer, with a bit of liner material inserted between. You should expect to pay over $200 for a decent quality croc band.

FWIW, alligator is a more durable leather and will last a life time.
Thank you Abdullah, do you think this is worth $89 or anything close to that?

I mean, if this is what I can get for $89 I can be ok with that...
Old 14 September 2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Thank you Abdullah, do you think this is worth $89 or anything close to that?

I mean, if this is what I can get for $89 I can be ok with that...
Did it come with a CITES certificate? I ask because it may not even be real croc at that price.

You may be able to get an embossed leather that looks like croc or gator for less, and have a more durable band.

EDIT: 10 second google search produced this https://vincerocollective.com/produc...SABEgLSUfD_BwE
Old 14 September 2017, 12:57 PM   #5
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
As Abdullah said, a well made croc strap will easily be in the $200+ range. So I guess for $89 you about got what you paid for.

Not sure what the watch looks like, but I ha e found most of the Hirsch straps hard to beat. Also really do love the Nomos horween leather straps. You can buy them on their site and elsewhere. Thin, durable and buttery smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 01:06 PM   #6
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Did it come with a CITES certificate? I ask because it may not even be real croc at that price.

You may be able to get an embossed leather that looks like croc or gator for less, and have a more durable band.

EDIT: 10 second google search produced this https://vincerocollective.com/produc...SABEgLSUfD_BwE
It did say CITES something on the box (don't have it with me right now).

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that.
Old 14 September 2017, 01:08 PM   #7
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
As Abdullah said, a well made croc strap will easily be in the $200+ range. So I guess for $89 you about got what you paid for.

Not sure what the watch looks like, but I ha e found most of the Hirsch straps hard to beat. Also really do love the Nomos horween leather straps. You can buy them on their site and elsewhere. Thin, durable and buttery smooth.

This is the watch.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=559620

The strap may easily be worth, money wise, more than the Watch but that would not be a problem.
Old 14 September 2017, 01:17 PM   #8
themast
"TRF" Member

What is the consensus on this one?
https://www.hirschstraps.com/collect...nt=34159998728
Old 14 September 2017, 01:41 PM   #9
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:

Very cool watch. I would spend good money on a strap for that all day long. Just to keep the story going and the history alive. I have never had an issue with a Hirsch. The other thing I thought of is look at Combat Straps. I believe Aaron does an Ostrich leg strap for close to $150 that would be awesome as well. His gator is closer to $200.

Artisan Strap Company is another one I have had good luck with. Im not sure what exotic skins they work with as I have always had their leather.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 02:40 PM   #10
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
I'm sure that the leather on this strap is better than the two that you have now, but I would be concerned on how it would hold up over time. I would look for a strap that is a single piece of leather (no calfskin lining) or has stitching that runs along both edges.

This one looks to be held together with glue, as I don't see any stitching on it. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck! Post pics when you get it all figured out.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 09:42 PM   #11
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Very cool watch. I would spend good money on a strap for that all day long. Just to keep the story going and the history alive. I have never had an issue with a Hirsch. The other thing I thought of is look at Combat Straps. I believe Aaron does an Ostrich leg strap for close to $150 that would be awesome as well. His gator is closer to $200.

Artisan Strap Company is another one I have had good luck with. Im not sure what exotic skins they work with as I have always had their leather.

Add Dangerous9straps for exotics http://dangerous9straps.blogspot.com/ and Equus for made to order high quality straps http://www.equusleather.co.uk/watch-straps.html
Old 14 September 2017, 09:58 PM   #12
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The other thing I thought of is look at Combat Straps. I believe Aaron does an Ostrich leg strap for close to $150 that would be awesome as well. His gator is closer to $200.

Thank you for the suggestions. I checked out Combat Straps but I think the Ostrich leg and in general many of his styles are a bit too sporty for this watch.

Artisan Strap Company seems to be off the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
I'm sure that the leather on this strap is better than the two that you have now, but I would be concerned on how it would hold up over time. I would look for a strap that is a single piece of leather (no calfskin lining) or has stitching that runs along both edges.
Good point. I did not notice that. They seem to make a version with stitching.

Based on my searches on Hirsch website these are the three products that I have identified.

https://www.hirschstraps.com/collect...ant=1317576316
Genuine Croco
GenCrocoGoldBrown01-GB-800_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.hirschstraps.com/collect...nt=38806197576
Baron Nile Croco
BaronGoldBrown01-GB-1000_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.hirschstraps.com/collect...nt=34174532680
London Alligator
LondonGoldBrown01-600_c717f4ea-f933-46ef-ae12-524060e9fab8_1024x1024.jpg

Now, I really loved how the shiny gold brown color of my original strap worked with the watch case and dial so I am tempted to go with the first one.

Anything else I should be looking at?
Old 18 October 2017, 06:40 AM   #13
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
Hirsch straps are great and last about a year-2 years before you need replacing. You can also go with embossed leather...for $50.00 the question...does anyone really know from 20 feat away? So save yourself some money.
BentleyReese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:44 AM   #14
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

I'm a huge fan of the worn and wound straps as well as BandR bands. wouldn't say one is better than the other, but i love the straps that they both produce. definitely worth a look.
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:54 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Been wearing an ostrich leather strap from Italy (Colareb is the brand) for two years now, it was about 50 Euros. Excellent quality.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:32 AM   #16
themast
"TRF" Member

Resuming this old thread to provide an update. I ended up ordering the Hirsch GENUINE CROCO Shiny Crocodile Leather Watch Strap in GOLD BROWN and I gifted it to myself for Christmas.

The general construction is still similar but the top layer seems to be thicker and hopefully won’t peel off after a few days of light use!

5FC301F3-CAFB-4A3A-B816-AC8E043278E4.jpeg

D8BE9B21-8E93-41A2-B15B-14930195D3CC.jpeg

C9AE843E-F4FF-4A1C-A4E9-AC0B3876674D.jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1B716307-FA90-4088-88B6-A3D8E7B5D3DA.jpeg (55.7 KB, 67 views)