The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Icon13 When grey dealers overstep the mark

Having a mooch on some grey dealers' websites and I saw this:

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%2...096/item/97763

I know this piece is very difficult to obtain and I know that there are premiums to be paid to jump the queues but 50% over retail for a one year old watch? Wrong. Just, wrong. Quite frankly, these people are taking the piss and this is why I would never deal with them.

DavidSW can source a brand new one for less (or at least he could when I contacted him earlier this year). That speaks volumes for both him and Watchfinder.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 06:29 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Would agree but while there are many with more money than sense that will pay these crazy prices it will remain the norm in all watch brands.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 08:21 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i see it as less of an issue as WF is a grey dealer, not also a PP AD. So you know what they are doing and where they are sourcing the watches IE from an AD or a middle man who buys at an AD at retail prices.

The thread going on in the Patek forum is worse. There is an official PP AD's that also deals in grey market watches. That is bad as where are they getting the watches? From themselves? They sell at comparable prices as that example on WF, but could be buying them at AD margins directly from PP, not retail like WF.

One is very clearly a grey dealer and the other, i don't know what they are but apparently you can be both AD and grey dealer at the same time. I would pick WF every time over that.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 08:31 PM   #4
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Ive seen a number of ads in our classified for the SS SkyD in the 22K range for a watch that retails in the 14K range hitting that +- %50 markup.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i see it as less of an issue as WF is a grey dealer, not also a PP AD. So you know what they are doing and where they are sourcing the watches IE from an AD or a middle man who buys at an AD at retail prices.

The thread going on in the Patek forum is worse. There is an official PP AD's that also deals in grey market watches. That is bad as where are they getting the watches? From themselves? They sell at comparable prices as that example on WF, but could be buying them at AD margins directly from PP, not retail like WF.

One is very clearly a grey dealer and the other, i don't know what they are but apparently you can be both AD and grey dealer at the same time. I would pick WF every time over that.
I'm not ok with any of it but one TRF trusted seller I spoke to qualified his premium by saying that he had to pay a premium himself to obtain the piece.

I'm ok with the premium to a certain extent but not when WF are charging 50% for a used piece when David will get you a brand new one for less.

I take your point over picking WF over the dodgy AD but I would pick neither and buy from David, even with the crap exchange rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
Ive seen a number of ads in our classified for the SS SkyD in the 22K range for a watch that retails in the 14K range hitting that +- %50 markup.
Fair point Ed, but I have two counter points. Firstly the SkyD is BNIB (and the Daytonas are there, thereabouts) and the one in the ad above is one year old. Secondly, DavidSW can get a brand new PP for less money than those thieving toerags at WF. I'd expect them to be wearing a mask and pointing an unmentionable at me if I walked in to buy the Patek. In fact, I'd ask them too. Might as well make it authentic if they're robbing me

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 16 October 2017, 09:48 PM   #6
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Gray prices have been going up lately, even David's. There are some references selling above retail in the For Sale section that I've seen in ADs recently. To Mon's point in another thread, some people have more money than sense, and as long as those people or willing to throw too much money at a watch they could obtain with a few phone calls the market will continue to inflate.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 10:02 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
WF are almost a monopoly in the UK now, they advertise regularly on TV and have multiple outlets so they also have a lot of new non-WIS customers who would never before have dreamed of selling or buying their watch through the post. And so they behave as all powerful monopolies do, just like Rolex do with their supply games and Hollywood moguls with aspiring actresses.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 10:05 PM   #8
Cru Jones

Hmmmm....Patek shopping are we, Ruud?? ;-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Hmmmm....Patek shopping are we, Ruud?? ;-)
Now stop that, young man! I know your game, Mr Jones

I was actually looking for the price of a solid gold Aquanaut because of an advert I saw on a bus shelter out here. It’s a man playing happy families with his kids by the piano. He’s wearing a gold Aquanaut and I wondered how much one of those weapons run. That’s all. Then my eyes nearly fell out of my head when I saw the price of the SS version

Old 16 October 2017, 10:29 PM   #10
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
That’s all.

Right, I've heard this one before....

Old 16 October 2017, 10:32 PM   #11
Tony64
"TRF" Member

If a grey is actually able to sell at that price then they haven't overstepped the mark, they've established it. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Now when AD's get involved.... that's another matter altogether.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 10:36 PM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
simple solution is to put the money in the bank and put your name on a wait list for 3-5 years. youll easily be able to get one in that time frame and make money while you wait.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 10:45 PM   #13
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
If Patek flooded the market with the 5711 the craze for them would end overnight. The 5711 is an extremely cool piece but it ain’t 30k cool. Not by a long shot. IMHO

Having said that Patek will not flood the market with them so the craze will continue because that’s human nature and the grey market will capitalize off it. That also is human nature. It’s sucks.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 12:52 AM   #14
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
simple solution is to put the money in the bank and put your name on a wait list for 3-5 years. youll easily be able to get one in that time frame and make money while you wait.
As I said above, I don’t want one. I was looking for the price of the gold one that I saw on the silly advert. For the price of the Aquanaut, I could have a SkyD and a 533.

The thought of buying a Rolex and a PAM over an Aquanaut will give some of you the creeping geebies but that is what I would do because those are the references that would make me grin the widest

Old 17 October 2017, 12:55 AM   #15
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Right, I've heard this one before....

Nope, I mean it this time. Honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
If a grey is actually able to sell at that price then they haven't overstepped the mark, they've established it. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Now when AD's get involved.... that's another matter altogether.

They probably will sell it and it’s certianly not illegal but I go back to my original point that flogging a one year old watch at that price is extortionate

Old 17 October 2017, 12:58 AM   #16
Cru Jones

Quote:
Nope, I mean it this time. Honest.

Just teasing, mate. Those Patek ads, while a bit cheesy at times, can definitely get anyone thinking, me included (hello 5712).
Old 17 October 2017, 01:06 AM   #17
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
From my perspective on Rolex.

I believe smarter people than us at Rolex and AD's weighed the risks of the grey realm but, I agree that it sucks when you see these markups but, an AD sells to greys for a reason. They usually package hot sellers with poor ones. If an AD is willing to risk goodwill and negative comments, maybe the problem is also Rolex and their demands on AD's? I don't believe for a second that Rolex (or PP or others) can't trace every single watch back to the original importer, and I bet they're OK with it if it keeps ad's open and stock moving.

I believe it's Rolex, greys and our fault in the end. Not to mention the Rolex licensed importers and local sovereign laws. It's a mess.

Open online ordering and at the least shed light on the process. The fact Rolex hasn't, tells me they're OK with the process.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 01:08 AM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
As I said above, I don’t want one. I was looking for the price of the gold one that I saw on the silly advert. For the price of the Aquanaut, I could have a SkyD and a 533.

The thought of buying a Rolex and a PAM over an Aquanaut will give some of you the creeping geebies but that is what I would do because those are the references that would make me grin the widest
if you can find a sky dweller at msrp, not 18 to 20k.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 01:18 AM   #19
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:

As nice as PP watches are, the ads are total fantasy. Legacy, family, permanence, respect, meaning, success -- they press every emotional button they want to press

The best thing someone can leave their kids is not a watch. It's 1) a good upbringing & education and 2) money ... in that order. Without #1 they'll waste #2
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 02:20 AM   #20
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Gray prices have been going up lately, even David's. There are some references selling above retail in the For Sale section that I've seen in ADs recently. To Mon's point in another thread, some people have more money than sense, and as long as those people or willing to throw too much money at a watch they could obtain with a few phone calls the market will continue to inflate.
Yep, makes no sense to me.
SubC NIB for $600 more than retail. Current post on TRF.
Last i checked, they are available at ADs.

Why would one buy this and not from an AD? It makes no sense.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 02:20 AM   #21
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
As nice as PP watches are, the ads are total fantasy. Legacy, family, permanence, respect, meaning, success -- they press every emotional button they want to press

The best thing someone can leave their kids is not a watch. It's 1) a good upbringing & education and 2) money ... in that order. Without #1 they'll waste #2

Totally agree with that
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 04:51 AM   #22
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:

All ads for luxury items are total fantasy - and we buy into it in varying degrees.
NAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 07:29 AM   #23
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
If Patek flooded the market with the 5711 the craze for them would end overnight. The 5711 is an extremely cool piece but it ain’t 30k cool. Not by a long shot. IMHO

Having said that Patek will not flood the market with them so the craze will continue because that’s human nature and the grey market will capitalize off it. That also is human nature. It’s sucks.
True.

What I don't "get" is why Rolex and Patek put their second market in hands of "Grey's".... Only reason for this is the limited supply. I get limited supply, but making a 4 year waiting list for a watch is just ridiculous.

Me...? I'd get something else, but so many just need to have the latest thing. On the other hand, the Patek 5711 isn't exactly the latest thing...
Old 17 October 2017, 07:35 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
True.

What I don't "get" is why Rolex and Patek put their second market in hands of "Grey's".... Only reason for this is the limited supply. I get limited supply, but making a 4 year waiting list for a watch is just ridiculous.

Me...? I'd get something else, but so many just need to have the latest thing. On the other hand, the Patek 5711 isn't exactly the latest thing...
The problem is Thierry Stern has signalled he wants to end the 5711 so cue a feeding frenzy which as you say mainly benefits the greys, and at these exorbitant prices they are making more margin than PP who made the damn watches! Thierry should have kept quiet on this ambition and just let supply fall off if that is their plan.
Old 17 October 2017, 08:19 AM   #25
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Things are really weird lately. It's the worst scenario I've witnessed in the last four years since I joined this forum. Glad I'm not in the market for anything.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 08:52 AM   #26
77T

Whenever there’s a loss of equilibrium in the supply/demand curve you should expect prices to climb whether at Authorized or Secondary channels.

The ironic thing is how the AD has little input in the choice of pieces that are actually shipped to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 10:42 AM   #27
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY View Post
All ads for luxury items are total fantasy - and we buy into it in varying degrees.
Yes, none of us are immune marketing But some of it feels especially cheap and manipulative -- like De Beers and their "2 months' salary" ads
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 11:16 AM   #28
tng11
"TRF" Member

The market for SS pieces from Rolex, AP and PP has gone off the charts in the last few months. I'll admit that I'm also participating in the feeding frenzy as well - I'm paying top dollar for pieces I wouldn't have considered buying a year ago. I have a bad feeling I may lose my shirt, but I don't care either as I'm getting enjoyment of out my new pieces too.

Outside of this narrow group of SS pieces though, I think the market is acting pretty normal, which is to say, pretty slow. I've seen lots of PM pieces on the market for months even after multiple rounds of price reductions. Breguet, VC, GP, etc are just doing as terribly on the secondary market as they've always been.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 11:25 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Things are really weird lately. It's the worst scenario I've witnessed in the last four years since I joined this forum. Glad I'm not in the market for anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
The market for SS pieces from Rolex, AP and PP has gone off the charts in the last few months. I'll admit that I'm also participating in the feeding frenzy as well - I'm paying top dollar for pieces I wouldn't have considered buying a year ago. I have a bad feeling I may lose my shirt, but I don't care either as I'm getting enjoyment of out my new pieces too.

Outside of this narrow group of SS pieces though, I think the market is acting pretty normal, which is to say, pretty slow. I've seen lots of PM pieces on the market for months even after multiple rounds of price reductions. Breguet, VC, GP, etc are just doing as terribly on the secondary market as they've always been.
Has been crazy recently, feels like the dot com boom all over again, a rising tide seems to be lifting all half-decent boats.
Old 17 October 2017, 11:57 AM   #30
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just teasing, mate. Those Patek ads, while a bit cheesy at times, can definitely get anyone thinking, me included (hello 5712).
Yeah, right. I know you too well, young man!

You’re right, though. Whoever’s in charge at Patek’s marketing and advertising is seriously earning their potatoes.

Quote:

Totally agree with this. However, we have no children so can you see my dilemma here?