The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2020, 11:47 PM   #1
AP15407st_patrick
"TRF" Member

15407st vs 15202bc which one and way

Hi,
I am quite new in the watch game meaning I just purchased a few Rolex watches and now trying to make my first experience with AP. I am not interested to sell watches immediately and make the highest profit out of the sale but what’s important to me especially in times like we are all in so far is I would like to have a kind of guarantee that the watch I purchased will at least keep its value. As I am most certainly not able to get these two watches for retail I am struggling either to purchase the 15407st or the 15202bc. I know the current market neither retail prices are similar but what would you do if price stability / value stability is important for you. Do you think there is a current hype within the 15202 prices in general? Do you think the 15407 is already on a grey market price Level which will stay so around 50% above retail whereas the bc is roughly around 90%.
Which one is the better collectible piece and would you trade in a double balance plus 10k for the bc?
AP15407st_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 09:53 AM   #2
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
This is a novel approach, but which do you like more? Lots of talk about $$ and not much about the actual watches. You should go into any purchase assuming you will lose some money, if only on the spread between retail and wholesale (i.e., dealer spread), and if you do not its a bonus. And if you cannot accept any loss, then you should not be looking at watches that trade close to 6 figures. But aesthetics have to come first otherwise why buy a watch instead of any other collectible.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:51 PM   #3
Reign
"TRF" Member

Which style do you like more? Besides being Royal Oaks, they’re two very different watches.

One is an openworked movement with tons of hand work and frankly incredible to look at - it is also livelier with double balance as well.

The BC is an icon with substantially fewer pieces in circulation. The Salmon dial is a timeless classic and AP saves their white gold for only the most limited pieces.

From a $ perspective, it’s as speculative as saying X stock will go up - but if there are two APs that will hold their value well, then it’ll be these two
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:01 AM   #4
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
This is a novel approach, but which do you like more? Lots of talk about $$ and not much about the actual watches. You should go into any purchase assuming you will lose some money, if only on the spread between retail and wholesale (i.e., dealer spread), and if you do not its a bonus. And if you cannot accept any loss, then you should not be looking at watches that trade close to 6 figures. But aesthetics have to come first otherwise why buy a watch instead of any other collectible.
x2

<Sigh>
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:32 AM   #5
Henlo
"TRF" Member

It seems like you are looking for a store of value and not a watch. In this case I recommend you bitcoin which is unconfiscatable and easy to move internationally.
Henlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:10 AM   #6
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
This is a watch hobby forum, not a stock/investment speculation site.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:51 AM   #7
AP15407st_patrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Which style do you like more? Besides being Royal Oaks, they’re two very different watches.

One is an openworked movement with tons of hand work and frankly incredible to look at - it is also livelier with double balance as well.

The BC is an icon with substantially fewer pieces in circulation. The Salmon dial is a timeless classic and AP saves their white gold for only the most limited pieces.

From a $ perspective, it’s as speculative as saying X stock will go up - but if there are two APs that will hold their value well, then it’ll be these two
Thanks very helpful message. Like said any recommendations would be helpful although nobody can predict the future which is clear but at least share it’s opinion

At least when I am buying watches I do not want to loose money with it. Maybe it’s different for other people but for me it’s one element beside the fact that I enjoy the pure craftsmanship.
AP15407st_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:37 PM   #8
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henlo View Post
It seems like you are looking for a store of value and not a watch. In this case I recommend you bitcoin which is unconfiscatable and easy to move internationally.
A lot of people lost a lot of money on Bitcoin in the past 2 years.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:22 PM   #9
Henlo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.n2020 View Post

At least when I am buying watches I do not want to loose money with it. Maybe it’s different for other people but for me it’s one element beside the fact that I enjoy the pure craftsmanship.
So one scratch in the 15202BC and your watch decreases in value.
So wearing this watch is not an option. Lol.

@greenlantern: a store of value consist more properties than just value goes always up. With every asset there is someone who lost money on it. If in doubt zoom out: 10 years, 5 years, 3 years...
Henlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:30 PM   #10
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henlo View Post
So one scratch in the 15202BC and your watch decreases in value.
So wearing this watch is not an option. Lol.

@greenlantern: a store of value consist more properties than just value goes always up. With every asset there is someone who lost money on it. If in doubt zoom out: 10 years, 5 years, 3 years...
What about a store of happiness?

OP, if in doubt for the very long term, always steel as a safer bet.

And no, I would not trade in the steel for that BC.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote