The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 July 2020, 05:24 PM   #121
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

I am no expert on pricing but I think the blue dial may be tougher to get discounts on. Heard from SA and some friends here it is getting harder to get and VC has stopped taking deposits on those.
The other ones, I would think, will have some sort of discounts if you push hard enough.

However, being an extremely recent owner, I can safely say that it is an absolute joy. I can't say I have owned too many but still a fair few and none have floored me this quickly and comprehensively. All that Holy Trinity chatter makes a lot of sense suddenly.
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 07:56 PM   #122
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdate View Post
I am no expert on pricing but I think the blue dial may be tougher to get discounts on. Heard from SA and some friends here it is getting harder to get and VC has stopped taking deposits on those.
The other ones, I would think, will have some sort of discounts if you push hard enough.

However, being an extremely recent owner, I can safely say that it is an absolute joy. I can't say I have owned too many but still a fair few and none have floored me this quickly and comprehensively. All that Holy Trinity chatter makes a lot of sense suddenly.

You’re right. It is not just the blue dial time piece, in fact, VC has requested all their ADs not to provide heavy discount (like 10% or more). And even JLC is doing so. I think the Richmond group is controlling....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 08:19 PM   #123
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homo Sapien X View Post
You’re right. It is not just the blue dial time piece, in fact, VC has requested all their ADs not to provide heavy discount (like 10% or more). And even JLC is doing so. I think the Richmond group is controlling....

Very interesting. So may finally be waking up to the reality that is marketing/supply demand games etc. A tad late in the game....but FWIW (which isn't much, at all) they have a loud supporter in me now. A convert.
Old 1 July 2020, 10:07 PM   #124
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homo Sapien X View Post

I walked into WoS Regent Street last year and no discounts for VCs in general. I found that interesting.
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:20 AM   #125
Verbow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMoneyAssassin View Post
Does it make sense to pick this up at retail? Or do they go for considerably cheaper on the grey market?

All the used blue dial three-handers on Chrono24 are now priced around list price. The new watches are priced over retail.

It definitely appears supply is an issue relative to demand.
Verbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 08:01 AM   #126
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wonder why I never did this earlier.

It wears and looks a dream
Congrats! That looks sensational.
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 12:16 PM   #127
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It may be more region specific. Purchased my blue 4500v last year while flying through Qatar for ~$17k.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 09:24 PM   #128
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Thank you AG23!

Regions are always a factor when it comes to watches availability but I think this is more a supply side issue/decision, could well be wrong. I have a friend around the same region as Qat and has been told deposits not being accepted. Likely just a short term glitch. Can't imagine the watch 'hyping' even though it should in my opinion haha.
Old 2 July 2020, 10:24 PM   #129
Verbow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you AG23!

Regions are always a factor when it comes to watches availability but I think this is more a supply side issue/decision, could well be wrong. I have a friend around the same region as Qat and has been told deposits not being accepted. Likely just a short term glitch. Can't imagine the watch 'hyping' even though it should in my opinion haha.
I agree - of course there will be some regional variability - even variability among dealers in the same region - but this is appearing to be a supply/demand trend. And it certainly could subside if/when production picks up.

For comparison, I purchased mine gray last year as my local AD wasn’t being very responsive (ended up buying from Watch Avocado - a very good experience). In any event - they now have the same watch listed for over $8,000 more than I paid. That my friends is crazy!
Verbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 03:10 AM   #130
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

I stopped by the VC boutique earlier today see this years new ultra thin perpetual calendar. I was pleasantly surprised the 41.5mm does not wear too large due to the thinness of the case, though I could tell a difference from my 40mm watches. As others have stated here, the gold bracelet does wear larger than the rubber, and for reference, my wrist measures 6.7''

The lacquered blue dial is stunning the way it shines in the sunlight. I am still debating whether it is worth the 90k though. Either way, I got some decent pictures for you all. Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-2724.JPG (140.3 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2719.JPG (118.9 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2727.JPG (152.9 KB, 698 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2742.JPG (149.3 KB, 696 views)
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 12:52 PM   #131
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I love that one. The gold doesn't even look gaudy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 03:05 PM   #132
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the pictures. It really is a beauty.
I agree with the comment that the gold doesn’t look gaudy.
I can only speculate ( I myself had a long struggle and tons of pictures) but those pictures are close ups which makes the watch look bigger on the wrist. The 41mm really fits my small wrists like a dream so about 99.78% sure this will suit you but it’s your decision at the end.
It’s a much bigger decision than the simple 3 hander so may be some hard bargaining is the order of the day.
Old 9 July 2020, 12:03 AM   #133
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM2 116680
Where does VC sit in terms of the holy trinity of watch industry?
RolexFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:04 AM   #134
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexFan007 View Post
It's one-third of the trinity.

Whether the trinity is perpetually relevant, though, is another question.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:21 AM   #135
wuyangkid
"TRF" Member

Got my first scratch on the bezel, the watch is well and truly mine now

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
wuyangkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:29 AM   #136
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post

Congrats! You always remember your first knock!
Old 9 July 2020, 12:33 AM   #137
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Haha well done!
I completed a day each on every strap option after my first leather strap stint yesterday. Must say I underestimated the blue rubber strap. It is comfortable and a very good look. Leather I am still not feeling as much though wasn’t terrible. The metal is flawless. Look, feel...everything. I keep congratulating myself for going for the VCO 😂
Old 21 July 2020, 01:10 PM   #138
IGotId
"TRF" Member

A question for those of you who've had a VCO for a while. Is the bezel a scratch magnet?
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 01:36 PM   #139
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
A question for those of you who've had a VCO for a while. Is the bezel a scratch magnet?
Mine has a scratch I cannot unsee. Then again I believe any polished case is a scratch magnet (AP, Nautilus, etc).

jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 08:36 AM   #140
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamerson80 View Post
Mine has a scratch I cannot unsee. Then again I believe any polished case is a scratch magnet (AP, Nautilus, etc).

Thanks, that polished bezel specifically contributed to my flipping my VCO. I'm a clutz!
Old 22 July 2020, 09:03 AM   #141
wuyangkid
"TRF" Member

I've noticed a few more tiny hairline scratches on the bezel and also a few on the bracelet near the buckle, think I'm more annoyed by the ones on the bracelet because the finishing is extraordinary

wuyangkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 06:10 AM   #142
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've noticed a few more tiny hairline scratches on the bezel and also a few on the bracelet near the buckle, think I'm more annoyed by the ones on the bracelet because the finishing is extraordinary

I'm really hoping that they'll come out with a titanium or ceramic version!
Old 26 July 2020, 07:44 AM   #143
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMoneyAssassin View Post
Does it make sense to pick this up at retail? Or do they go for considerably cheaper on the grey market?

Not much anymore, retail should get you close enough to grey with a minor discount.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 07:47 AM   #144
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha well done!
I completed a day each on every strap option after my first leather strap stint yesterday. Must say I underestimated the blue rubber strap. It is comfortable and a very good look. Leather I am still not feeling as much though wasn’t terrible. The metal is flawless. Look, feel...everything. I keep congratulating myself for going for the VCO 😂
And you should, actually I will too, congratulations my friend! A truly distinguished taste that we happen to share there.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 26 July 2020, 07:49 AM   #145
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexFan007 View Post
With Patek in terms of quality. Same money will typically buy you a slightly more complicated Patek or a slightly better finished VC, though the practical relevance is minor. The leap from AP is noticeable though.

Old 26 July 2020, 08:13 AM   #146
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I owned one for a couple of years and not a scratch magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamerson80 View Post

watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 10:54 AM   #147
chillex
"TRF" Member

If anyone knows better, does blue dial (4500v) being currently under re-modeling/upgrading process?

That’s what I heard from US AD, (not boutique) but not sure whether it’s just make an excuse because AD can’t order that model.
chillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 12:55 PM   #148
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillex View Post
If anyone knows better, does blue dial (4500v) being currently under re-modeling/upgrading process?

That’s what I heard from US AD, (not boutique) but not sure whether it’s just make an excuse because AD can’t order that model.
The general consensus seems to be that supply is disrupted post the lock downs etc. so may just be a short term blip where only the boutiques are supplied and things get back to normal soon. Some discussion also on the dial colour itself and its hard procurement but can't really be sure.
Old 11 September 2020, 07:08 PM   #149
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Definitely value your view. And honestly exactly the uncertainties that worry me. The blue was stunning. Since then I have been picture that gem sparkling all around every day life on my wrist and starting to feel what you meant...too bright? Maybe just over thinking it...

Size I also was worried about but I am over that.

The only watch ( and I have tried almost every single hot/quality etc pieces) that I have really wanted as much was the steel Lange Odysseus (and I hated it till I tried it on). The AD/boutique has basically said not a chance any time soon politely and I don't have the time to wait or play games. Once/if it is available, one can cross that bridge then.

Nautilus, not that I was ever going to get it any time soon, was the complete opposite. Lusted over it till I tried it on.

Thanks again.
Lovely watch! I've had a similar paralel experience. I have 6" wrists, and have worn a 5066a (36mm) Patek for the best part of two decades. I also have a 36mm Royal Oak, but recently, though no fan of oversized watches, couldn't help but think that I would like a watch a little larger for every day. With three young kids, two dogs and an active life, that meant it had to be hard-wearing, water resistant, and on steel or rubber.

I bought a Rolex BLNR, and though it is a tough beater, and pretty wonderful as a tool, I just can't get comfortable with the 'wearing a Rolex' thing, and get self-conscious.

So the search began. My father has worn a 3800 Nautilus every day for thirty years, and so the logical step was one of the family. I hadn't really been into watches for a while, happy with what I had and only adding a few to commemorate special occasions. When I tried the 5712, and it was perfect, I was shocked at the games I was required to play. I have to admit as well the Nautilus craze has left a rather negative image in its wake. Overseas was too big (though that bracelet is wonderful), as was unfortunately the Journe LineSport which I loved, though its lack of water resistance was another issue. I'm a bit bored of the Royal Oak, find the bracelet on mine uncomfortable (probably why it's only been worn a handful of times in 25 years), and the ultra-thin has no water resistance, so no.

When I walked into the Lange boutique, it was love at first sight, but...

Instead I have placed a deposit for a Czapek Antarctique. I love the look (it seems a modern reincarnation of the VC 222), and though I have no experience of the brand, I have decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. They have been so welcoming and forthright - it has been a breath of fresh air to be treated with friendly respect and honesty rather than jumping through hoops, second guessing every utterance, and feeling somehow and ridiculously less...
Old 11 September 2020, 08:10 PM   #150
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Lovely watch! I've had a similar paralel experience. I have 6" wrists, and have worn a 5066a (36mm) Patek for the best part of two decades. I also have a 36mm Royal Oak, but recently, though no fan of oversized watches, couldn't help but think that I would like a watch a little larger for every day. With three young kids, two dogs and an active life, that meant it had to be hard-wearing, water resistant, and on steel or rubber.

I bought a Rolex BLNR, and though it is a tough beater, and pretty wonderful as a tool, I just can't get comfortable with the 'wearing a Rolex' thing, and get self-conscious.

So the search began. My father has worn a 3800 Nautilus every day for thirty years, and so the logical step was one of the family. I hadn't really been into watches for a while, happy with what I had and only adding a few to commemorate special occasions. When I tried the 5712, and it was perfect, I was shocked at the games I was required to play. I have to admit as well the Nautilus craze has left a rather negative image in its wake. Overseas was too big (though that bracelet is wonderful), as was unfortunately the Journe LineSport which I loved, though its lack of water resistance was another issue. I'm a bit bored of the Royal Oak, find the bracelet on mine uncomfortable (probably why it's only been worn a handful of times in 25 years), and the ultra-thin has no water resistance, so no.

When I walked into the Lange boutique, it was love at first sight, but...

Instead I have placed a deposit for a Czapek Antarctique. I love the look (it seems a modern reincarnation of the VC 222), and though I have no experience of the brand, I have decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. They have been so welcoming and forthright - it has been a breath of fresh air to be treated with friendly respect and honesty rather than jumping through hoops, second guessing every utterance, and feeling somehow and ridiculously less...
Thanks for sharing that experience, that was a great and informative read.

Czapek Antarctique - What a choice! The only reason I crossed it off my list was unfamiliarity. It really looks the part. Will keep an eye out for your views on it down the road.

On a more philosophical note, fascinating how life experiences, small habits, likes etc can shape a watch decision.

And that last paragraph is the exact reason I barely ever just get up and go look at watches in shop any more, used to be one of my favourite past times.