The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 5 October 2019, 02:28 AM   #1
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

Breitling still confused in their product line

Was excited to see the recent announcement of the update to the Avenger line .. (since i own an avenger in yellow)

So i was surprised when their PR describes this as a pilots watch ..

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watc...A17319101I1X1/

-- the damm watch is rated to 3000M and has a helium escape valve.

That is not a pilots watch -- thats a diver .. so why is breitling selling this as a pilots watch..

oh well .. the new breitling .. same as the old breitling.

dont get me wrong .. i love breitlings .. i own 2 already .. and i'm probably buying 2 more in the next 6 months .
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 02:49 AM   #2
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo-sf View Post
Was excited to see the recent announcement of the update to the Avenger line .. (since i own an avenger in yellow)

So i was surprised when their PR describes this as a pilots watch ..

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watc...A17319101I1X1/

-- the damm watch is rated to 3000M and has a helium escape valve.

That is not a pilots watch -- thats a diver .. so why is breitling selling this as a pilots watch..

oh well .. the new breitling .. same as the old breitling.

dont get me wrong .. i love breitlings .. i own 2 already .. and i'm probably buying 2 more in the next 6 months .

I mean I appreciate the versatility of that line. I mean with the traditional navi and Speedmaster their water resistance is next to 0. And thus would not get much wrist time on my vacations. You get the look of an aviator watch but robust enough to be worn everywhere.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 02:50 AM   #3
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
The Avenger line has always been considered a Pilot model from Breitling. Nothing new.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 03:24 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Must a watch be a uni-tasker?

Can’t pilots also dive, or divers fly?

Serenity - from the announcement:
With an impressive water resistance, the Seawolf is at ease up in the air and deep down the oceans. Thanks to its rugged bezel and its special grip-pattern on the crown, the Avenger Automatic 45 Seawolf can be easily operated wearing gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 04:02 AM   #5
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

yes -- of course watches have multi purposes ..

but as a brand and a PR message .. it would be simpler to tell one story..

and given that the added water resistance of some parts of the line .. add significant weight and size .. making it do double duty imo is a mistake.
Old 5 October 2019, 11:58 AM   #6
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Only one of the Avengers has the 3000 ft water rating and that’s the Seawolf which has always been a dive watch. While all the Avenger watches are being marketed as pilot watches, the description of this watch on their website mentions it can easily be a dive watch as well.

“Bold, extremely robust and shock resistant, the Avenger Automatic 45 Seawolf is a pilots’ watch prepared for adventures well below the ocean’s surface (up to 300 bars - 3.000m). As a true Breitling Avenger, it can be used wearing gloves and offers unrivalled safety and reliability to any airborne adventurer. The Avenger Automatic 45 Seawolf features a sturdy 45mm stainless-steel case, striking yellow dial and a choice of a stainless-steel bracelet, or black military leather strap that fits either a stainless-steel pin buckle or folding clasp. With an impressive water resistance, the Seawolf is at ease up in the air and deep down the oceans. Thanks to its rugged bezel and its special grip-pattern on the crown, the Avenger Automatic 45 Seawolf can be easily operated wearing gloves.”
jnelson3097 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 11:54 PM   #7
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

exactly -- i should have been more clear -- the rest of the avenger line is properly placed..

the seawolf is the one that is carelessly placed.

little details like this make a difference in my opinion ..
Old 6 October 2019, 12:44 AM   #8
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

I think Breitling’s future is bright. I already like what Georges Kern has done with the brand.

I’ve got an Avenger II Seawolf now and likely will add another Breitling reference at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 01:54 AM   #9
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whattimeyougot View Post
I think Breitling’s future is bright. I already like what Georges Kern has done with the brand.

I’ve got an Avenger II Seawolf now and likely will add another Breitling reference at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tend to agree with this. I started in watches with Breitling over 10 years ago, and moved on from them a few years after because I thought the brand was fading badly. Last 6 months is the first time they have quickened my pulse in years. I think they are pulling it together again. Slowly but surely.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:32 PM   #10
WillMcP
"TRF" Member

Breitling has been in an identity crisis for 70 years. My 1951 Breitling looks like most of the watches of the time, except has a little more panache with its 6 o'clock seconds subdial. Keeps time like an atomic clock.
When the 1960s came, so did the space race and the drive to compete in the super-complex navigational timepieces. That's where the Navitimer and Cosmonaute fought it out after Breitling's patent of the Cosmonaute name.
In the 1970s, Breitling was all askew with having failed to beat Omega in the space race, while trying to keep up with Rolex in the fashion and sports watch hybrid race. The Navitimer just proved to be a little too complex, when the Chronomat eased its way into the range of products. The Astromat-Chronograph, one of 700 pieces that were made from old bits and pieces and specially numbered as "collectible" pieces moved that on into the 1990s after the Navitimer's heyday. Then came the J-class for yachting--how many of us do that?--on that nice bullet bracelet with a simple uni-directional bezel and four directional markers, typically in gold, so they could say 18K and SS.
After a half dozen of these transitional pieces, including the UTM module that fit only a 22 and 18 mm specially-made strap after the original rubber dried out and cracked, I went back to the good old manual-wind 1951.
The new gigantic Hublot-like monstrosities that Breitling have been making have pushed me to some other aeronautic flieger-type marques (I won't name the brands, but there are several nice German outfits with spectacular kits). That's my ho-hum. WmcP
WillMcP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:35 PM   #11
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

I own 2 breitling pieces --

An avenger 2 seawolf .. and a navitimer .. love them both ..

-- but its because i think breitling provides lots of vaalue at their price point that i am critical .. - the seawolf does not fit the rest of the line its in ..

my $0.02
Old 26 January 2020, 05:14 AM   #12
tjs00
"TRF" Member

It's for when you crash into the ocean... in a dive suit...
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 07:12 AM   #13
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
At one time I owned over 20 various Breitling models until they started increasing there size. They are too big for my taste. All gone now.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:12 PM   #14
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Personally, I like the additional water resistance. I wish more “aviation” watches had better WR ratings like this. I bought the new Avenger chrono for many reasons, the WR was one of the big ones.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote