The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 August 2022, 04:49 AM   #1
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Any BMW M4 owners??

So I love the new M4. I was exploring the model on the website and stumbled upon the new M4 CSL. I was pretty much set on the M4 competition x drive until I saw the csl.

I know a lot of people dislike the grill on the new models but I really like it.

Anyone on here have any of the new models? Share some pics and thoughts on the line in general.

(Any bmw pics are welcome)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 05:19 AM   #2
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

BMW has lost their way. Ever since E36/E46 it's been downhill IMHO. It's like they're trying too hard to please folks that want pointless gadgets in cars. I test drove a X5 recently, and it has a feature, which the sales associate was very proud of, that allows passengers to adjust volume by spinning a finger in a circle, in the air, below two down-facing cameras in the rearview mirror. And the volume can also be adjusted by voice command, steering wheel control, or by the dial on the dash. Just seems like a pointless waste of money.

For reference, I have an E36 M3 with 360,000 miles on it, that my father bought new in 1995. He drove it 240k and I've had it for 120k. Had E46 M3, and a few others. So I have some experience with the brand.

I'd strongly suggest going to look at Porsche 718's if you're in the market for a sporty car. Much less BS and fluff, and the performance is excellent. Maybe not the same eye-bleeding numbers as the M4 CSL, but it'll get to Starbucks just as fast.

Looks are personal - sounds like you're ok with the new grill layout on the BMW's. Again, it's my opinion, but I think it's hideous.
dk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 05:26 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
That grill, oh my. I thought I was looking at a twin-grill Ford Edsel.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 05:26 AM   #4
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Someone had an allocation for sale on a CSL in a car group I’m in. I’ll try and find the listing.
Old 28 August 2022, 05:28 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Does anyone know if they finally fixed the M4's simulated steering feel?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 05:29 AM   #6
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
That grill, oh my. I thought I was looking at a twin-grill Ford Edsel.

I knew this was going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 05:53 AM   #7
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Does anyone know if they finally fixed the M4's simulated steering feel?
Unfortunately not. When they went from hydraulic to electric, that was that.
Old 28 August 2022, 06:46 AM   #8
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
My last BMW was a 2004 E46 M3 manual. I personally don’t really enjoy the same sausage, different size looks of current models, but haven’t driven one in almost 10 years. The CSL paint scheme is cool, and takes one’s eye away from focusing on… that grill.

Are they still squeezing in big, heavy engines to make them fast despite their ever increasing weight? I guess I’ve lost my appreciation for the brand, sorry!
Old 28 August 2022, 07:13 AM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk65 View Post
BMW has lost their way. Ever since E36/E46 it's been downhill IMHO. It's like they're trying too hard to please folks that want pointless gadgets in cars. I test drove a X5 recently, and it has a feature, which the sales associate was very proud of, that allows passengers to adjust volume by spinning a finger in a circle, in the air, below two down-facing cameras in the rearview mirror. And the volume can also be adjusted by voice command, steering wheel control, or by the dial on the dash. Just seems like a pointless waste of money.

For reference, I have an E36 M3 with 360,000 miles on it, that my father bought new in 1995. He drove it 240k and I've had it for 120k. Had E46 M3, and a few others. So I have some experience with the brand.

I'd strongly suggest going to look at Porsche 718's if you're in the market for a sporty car. Much less BS and fluff, and the performance is excellent. Maybe not the same eye-bleeding numbers as the M4 CSL, but it'll get to Starbucks just as fast.

Looks are personal - sounds like you're ok with the new grill layout on the BMW's. Again, it's my opinion, but I think it's hideous.
it depends on the line. they still have amazing cars like the m340, m550, x5. the m5 is still a monster supercar and not ruined (yet) and the m8 is very nice as well. after the grills (which i still don't understand) and the bloated lineups i've become much more of a mercedes fan now though, although they're making every car look the same now so we'll see...

718 is nice but it's a completely different car, i don't think anyone is cross shopping an M3/M4 with a 718
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 10:05 PM   #10
Dyim
"TRF" Member

At least you are in MI and don't have to deal with the front plates. Makes the grill a bit more acceptable.

Current BMW IMO are getting pretty bloated and disconnected. Like driving a video game. The CSL is an attempt to reverse this trend IMO.

At this price point, agree with above post and I would look at p cars.

But if you are a die hard BMW fan, I can certainly see the attraction.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 10:11 PM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
Unfortunately not. When they went from hydraulic to electric, that was that.
Big bummer, BMW ruined what was a great feeling car. Ah well.

Don't they know how bad it is? Shoot, even the fat pig modern Bentley have good steering feel. Hopefully by 2026 BMW fixes it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 29 August 2022, 12:58 AM   #12
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Big bummer, BMW ruined what was a great feeling car. Ah well.

Don't they know how bad it is? Shoot, even the fat pig modern Bentley have good steering feel. Hopefully by 2026 BMW fixes it.
BMW has gone the way of Rolex. It's become a fashion accessory. The tool watch and the ultimate driving machine are consigned to your memories.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2022, 11:55 PM   #13
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I had a 2005 E46 M3 up until last year when I sold it, was a great car and probably the last of the great ones, but the E90/92 was amazing as well with the V8. My wife has an F80.....its meh. G80 is worse in my opinion, car is fast, sure. But its big, stale and lifeless. We may get a G80 for my wife to replace the F80 but zero chance I would buy one for myself. Its a hard pass, BMW has lost its way.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 12:24 AM   #14
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
it depends on the line. they still have amazing cars like the m340, m550, x5. the m5 is still a monster supercar and not ruined (yet) and the m8 is very nice as well. after the grills (which i still don't understand) and the bloated lineups i've become much more of a mercedes fan now though, although they're making every car look the same now so we'll see...

718 is nice but it's a completely different car, i don't think anyone is cross shopping an M3/M4 with a 718
You’re right, M3 and M4 probably aren’t in the same category as 718.

The x5 I test drove (M version) felt like a disconnected pig. Steering feel was terrible/non-existent, throttle response was not consistent, as though the car had to spend too much time thinking about how much throttle to apply for a certain amount of pedal.

I was hoping it would feel at least like a distant cousin to my M3. It did not, it was closer to a Suburban… by a long shot.

But it could back itself along the path of a driveway entry, which might be useful… once?

I hope the CSL is better, for OP’s sake, but me personally, I am not a customer for the current BMW offerings.
Old 30 August 2022, 12:26 AM   #15
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I hope the CSL is better, for OP’s sake, but me personally, I am not a customer for the current BMW offerings.
It won't be that drastically different in the respects most long time M owners care about. It will be faster and do many things better, but feel and connectivity to the car itself will not be on that list. Is it even coming to the US anyhow?
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 12:32 AM   #16
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The x5 I test drove (M version) felt like a disconnected pig. Steering feel was terrible/non-existent, throttle response was not consistent, as though the car had to spend too much time thinking about how much throttle to apply for a certain amount of pedal.

I was hoping it would feel at least like a distant cousin to my M3. It did not, it was closer to a Suburban… by a long shot.

But it could back itself along the path of a driveway entry, which might be useful… once?

interesting, i haven't driven the x5m but have heard/read good things about them. i feel like if you want an suv that has a sports car feel you're really only left with a porsche, otherwise you just have to stick to a sports car
Old 30 August 2022, 01:03 AM   #17
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
interesting, i haven't driven the x5m but have heard/read good things about them. i feel like if you want an suv that has a sports car feel you're really only left with a porsche, otherwise you just have to stick to a sports car
My opinion is that it's a waste to buy an SUV if you want a sports car feel. I'm sure for an extra $100k over the cost of a Lexus or Acura SUV you will get more power and better handling, but it will still be a big, heavy pig of an SUV. Based on the popularity of Cayennes, Macans, Lambo and Aston Martin SUVs, XM BMWs, there are plenty of folks who disagree with me. But it's hard to make a 5k pound vehicle act like a sports car or even a coupe.
Old 30 August 2022, 01:09 AM   #18
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
My opinion is that it's a waste to buy an SUV if you want a sports car feel. I'm sure for an extra $100k over the cost of a Lexus or Acura SUV you will get more power and better handling, but it will still be a big, heavy pig of an SUV. Based on the popularity of Cayennes, Macans, Lambo and Aston Martin SUVs, XM BMWs, there are plenty of folks who disagree with me. But it's hard to make a 5k pound vehicle act like a sports car or even a coupe.
i 100% agree. i don't see the point of getting a sports SUV, it kind of defeats the purpose of an SUV in my opinion, but everyone disagrees with us as you said. there are some exceptions (porsche, urus) but i just know here in nyc the roads are terrible and if i were to ever get an suv it would be one that rides comfortably, otherwise there's no point getting rid of a sports car
Old 30 August 2022, 01:21 AM   #19
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I wound up buying a Macan S. It's not a sports car, but definitely much better driving experience than the BMW.
Old 30 August 2022, 02:07 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats DK65. Enjoy the drive :)

Old 30 August 2022, 03:17 AM   #21
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

That BMW M4 looks "overwrought" to me, not a good thing. I'd recommend a 911 (992) GTS, understated excellence, and I suspect a far better car all round.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 03:27 AM   #22
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

I almost bought one last summer. Terrific car (from a driving perspective), but BMW's corporate design language is all over the place. It's now quite disjointed and inconsistent across product lines. It's one of those love/hate things, and I totally get it...because I drive a C8 (which is also either loved or hated).
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 03:29 AM   #23
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
That BMW M4 looks "overwrought" to me, not a good thing. I'd recommend a 911 (992) GTS, understated excellence, and I suspect a far better car all round.
Also if you can get a "slightly used" P car... the CPO warranty from Porsche is awesome. +2 years on factory, unlimited miles. So if you get a 1 year old car with 5000 miles on it, you have a warranty for 5 years/unlimited miles on essentially a new car.

Porsche a little like Rolex right now... unobtainium at MSRP.
Old 30 August 2022, 06:14 AM   #24
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:

This is a ridiculous comment. The X5M is a disconnect pig?? What exactly are you looking for out of a 5,500 lb SUV?

A 2022 X5M Competition is the 5th BMW that I've owned. The previous 4 have all been great cars, all inline 6s, and all M Sport cars. No major complaints about any of them. But the X5M is on an entirely different level. A true M car is a significant step up. Power, shifting, handling, interior quality.....all superb! And 0-60 in 3.7 seconds? Sold!

Does my 5,500 lb SUV handle like a 911? No! It's not supposed to. but it handles at least as good, if not better, than my 440i did. It's got the room I need, it's fast AF, and it steers so well that it feels like you're driving a small sports sedan instead of a big ass SUV. You like Porsche? Fine, get one. Different feel and very different design aesthetic. But the X5M is a damn fine SUV!
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 06:16 AM   #25
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
992 gts is double the price of an m4 lol. i don't think people that can afford one are generally looking at a bmw m4
Old 30 August 2022, 06:20 AM   #26
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
992 gts is double the price of an m4 lol. i don't think people that can afford one are generally looking at a bmw m4
Not sure how people come up with these comparisons or recommendations. At that point why not throw in a new SL AMG OR M8? It's like saying to someone instead of a Datejust, get a Day Date.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 06:21 AM   #27
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Not sure how people come up with these comparisons or recommendations. At that point why not throw in a new SL AMG OR M8? It's like saying to someone instead of a Datejust, get a Day Date.
agreed, or when someone wants a PM watch but can't decide between two and people say get both. as if just adding an extra $40k to someone already having trouble committing to one PM watch is that easy
Old 30 August 2022, 06:29 AM   #28
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
The M4 CSL is $140,000-ish and just 1,000 units worldwide. Not sure why people are suggesting a $200k+ Porsche....

And for anyone that thinks the X5M drives like a pig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coEA618Qfxo
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 06:30 AM   #29
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Actually....

M4 CSL starts at $139,900
992 GTS starts at $142,600

I don't know about the new math, but my 1980's skool math says that's nowhere near double.
Old 30 August 2022, 06:31 AM   #30
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
This is a ridiculous comment. The X5M is a disconnect pig?? What exactly are you looking for out of a 5,500 lb SUV?
Looking for something that doesn't drive like a Suburban. Just my opinion. I drove Suburban, Yukon, X5M, Cayenne base/S/Turbo, and Macan base/S. I didn't like the way the X5M drove, it felt disconnected and numb. Similar to the GM products. I felt that the Macan/Cayenne offered a much better driving experience than the X5M, for roughly the same spend. Again - my opinion only - BMW is trying to steal some of the Suburban market, and that's why it feels, well, like a Suburban.

But none of this has anything to do with a M4 CSL! Sorry for the thread derailment.