The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 October 2018, 11:51 AM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Condensation in sea urchin

This is my son's sea urchin. He has noticed condensation on the inside of the crystal the last couple days. He says he opens the crown and lets it sit and it goes away, but it comes back the next day. This has happened for several days now. He has no idea how it got water in it. Says he makes sure the crown is always closed when he washes it.

Any advise on what to do about this? Is it ok to leave the crown open to dry it? It seems to be functioning normally so far. Not sure what to do...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Frogman
"TRF" Member

One of the crown seals has worn so it doesnt matter if its closed of not, it needs new seals.

Put it in a container of dry uncooked rice, crown open, facing down, leave it for a few days.

Tell him not to wear it in the shower or water until its fixed.

Might even want to open the caseback and inspect for damage, it might have a lot of moisture in it.

Might be cheaper just to buy a new 200m ISO rated seiko like a turtle or SKX than to get it fixed if theres a big problem with the movement.
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 03:09 PM   #3
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
It needs to be looked at. If the movement is damaged you can get a new installed cheap than fixing that one. If you need some suggestions then send me a dm.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 10:01 PM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the feedback. This is disappointing as the watch is only about four months old. Anyone know if Seiko had any sort of warranty?

Old 22 October 2018, 07:15 AM   #5
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

This model is the only ‘modern’ Seiko I’ve owned from new that’s taken on water like this. I swam with mine once and it fogged up.

You should certainly have a warranty if it’s only 4 months old.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:18 AM   #6
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have to imagine that there is a one year warranty at least if you bought it new. Look at receipt. Did it come with warranty card?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:17 PM   #7
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. This is disappointing as the watch is only about four months old. Anyone know if Seiko had any sort of warranty?

If you dont' have the paperwork on it then you don't have a warranty I am afraid.
Old 22 October 2018, 09:40 PM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
If you dont' have the paperwork on it then you don't have a warranty I am afraid.
I have all the paperwork. I'm just wondering if we go through the whole process and they just come back and say we caused it - like leaving the crown open in water for example. I'll give it a shot and see where it goes.

Old 22 October 2018, 10:13 PM   #9
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
I have all the paperwork. I'm just wondering if we go through the whole process and they just come back and say we caused it - like leaving the crown open in water for example. I'll give it a shot and see where it goes.

If it was caused to a non tightened crown they will spot it. If the watch passes a pressure test and if they open the watch and see corrosion on the crown side it is pretty obvious that is the cause
Old 23 October 2018, 12:55 AM   #10
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

The crowns don’t screw down on these anyway so technically the WR should still be there with the crown open as the seal still stays inside. I would go for it!

I saw someone post a pic on IG the other day of a Daytona with both pushers and the crown open, submerged in water. Did it to prove the seals are still in place.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 10:45 AM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Well seems like I'm screwed as far as warranty. Watch was purchased through Jomashop. Seems like they replace the manufacturer warranty with their own. That warranty does not cover water damage. Guess that's the catch with buying from an online grey. I'll try the rice trick but probably not worth paying for repair considering how cheap the watch was to purchase. So far the movement is operating properly...

Old 23 October 2018, 11:21 AM   #12
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I'd check it out for ya. Has the back been opened since new? If not, does the crown have any wobble when turned? Sometimes they can be bent, and that slight bend will cause the gasket in the tube to pull away just enough to let moisture in. Sometimes simply straightening that bend will make the gasket seal again. Seen this many times.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 01:20 PM   #13
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well seems like I'm screwed as far as warranty. Watch was purchased through Jomashop. Seems like they replace the manufacturer warranty with their own. That warranty does not cover water damage. Guess that's the catch with buying from an online grey. I'll try the rice trick but probably not worth paying for repair considering how cheap the watch was to purchase. So far the movement is operating properly...

Jomas warranty means nothing for sure.

If you need someone to look at it then let me know.
Old 24 October 2018, 03:07 AM   #14
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

I appreciate the offers to look at and possibly repair the watch.

The problem is the watch only cost me $135. I doubt I could get a repair done for less than the cost of just replacing the watch myself.

If I'm mistaken please let me know
Old 24 October 2018, 04:05 AM   #15
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
I appreciate the offers to look at and possibly repair the watch.

The problem is the watch only cost me $135. I doubt I could get a repair done for less than the cost of just replacing the watch myself.

If I'm mistaken please let me know

Not sure if you missed my comment. Here is part of it that would be an easy fix.

Does the crown have any wobble when turned? Sometimes they can be bent, and that slight bend will cause the gasket in the tube to pull away just enough to let moisture in. Sometimes simply straightening that bend will make the gasket seal again. Seen this many times.

I'd do a repair like this for free if shipping was supplied. And, if you have a watch guy local to you, I'd think he'd do the same repair for free or very cheap as well.
Old 25 October 2018, 12:03 AM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
Not sure if you missed my comment. Here is part of it that would be an easy fix.

Does the crown have any wobble when turned? Sometimes they can be bent, and that slight bend will cause the gasket in the tube to pull away just enough to let moisture in. Sometimes simply straightening that bend will make the gasket seal again. Seen this many times.

I'd do a repair like this for free if shipping was supplied. And, if you have a watch guy local to you, I'd think he'd do the same repair for free or very cheap as well.
Thanks for you reply and offer. I currently have the watch "submerged" in a bowl of raw rice for a few days. I'm going to take it out tomorrow night and have a closer look at it. I'll check the bezel as you point out. If I notice that issue I will get back in touch with you. The way my son beats that watch to hell, it's very possible that you are correct on the problem. That watch looks like he's owned it 10 years already. Amazing the damage a teenager can do
Old 25 October 2018, 12:11 AM   #17
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Based on the way you say he treats it, I'd say there's a good chance too. This is why I suggest watches with nice crown guards to people. Without them, the crown and stem are very susceptible to damage.
Quote:
Thanks for you reply and offer. I currently have the watch "submerged" in a bowl of raw rice for a few days. I'm going to take it out tomorrow night and have a closer look at it. I'll check the bezel as you point out. If I notice that issue I will get back in touch with you. The way my son beats that watch to hell, it's very possible that you are correct on the problem. That watch looks like he's owned it 10 years already. Amazing the damage a teenager can do
Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk