The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 April 2013, 02:41 PM   #1
wanglaw
"TRF" Member

Automatic watch winder

What should be the setting for winding the GMT Master II with an auto winder ? The auto winder has setting for : clockwise, anti-clockwise and bi-directional rotation. And 3 settings available for the TPD, turn per day, is 650, 850 and 1000.
wanglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2013, 01:35 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanglaw View Post
What should be the setting for winding the GMT Master II with an auto winder ? The auto winder has setting for : clockwise, anti-clockwise and bi-directional rotation. And 3 settings available for the TPD, turn per day, is 650, 850 and 1000.
To keep it going on a machine 650 bi-directional rotations should be fine but it will not make a lot of difference as you cannot overwind it. And while on the wrist if fairly active the winding pendulum will swing far more on the wrist the finest watch winder in the world. And after all that's what the watch was designed for rather than stuck on a inanimate machine.Just cannot see the point or putting extra wear 24/7 on any movement if the watch is not needed to tell the time on the wrist just let it stop.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2013, 04:54 AM   #3
Typhoon7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Just cannot see the point or putting extra wear 24/7 on any movement if the watch is not needed to tell the time on the wrist just let it stop.
Everybody's experiences will differ, I guess. But, I've had bad luck with the above philosophy....

Some of mine don't get onto the wrist for quite a while, unfortunately.

Had one sitting idle in the safe for almost a year, then when I finally wound and wore the watch it lost huge amounts of time each day where before it was within COSC spec. Poor performance was due to the movement sitting idle for extended periods. I wore the watch daily for several weeks at the suggestion of my watchmaker in the hopes performance would improve. Well, it didn't and requires service to rectify.

After the above bad experience, I have all of my pieces (multiple) on a winder. After doing some research, I agree with the philosophy that the movements are designed to "run" at all times and not sit idle somewhere for extended periods. For me, the negatives of wear on the movements are offset by the positives of not having to do a full service each time I drag a seldom worn watch out of the vault.

Having said all of that, I would not buy a winder if I had only 1 automatic watch.

I recently invested in an Eilux winder, and like it better than the Wolf winder that my AD "gave" me when I bought one of the Submariners.

I find that the winder works for me due to some pieces not seeing my wrist for months at a time, but may not be for everybody.

Best of luck,

T7
Typhoon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon7 View Post
Everybody's experiences will differ, I guess. But, I've had bad luck with the above philosophy....

Some of mine don't get onto the wrist for quite a while, unfortunately.

Had one sitting idle in the safe for almost a year, then when I finally wound and wore the watch it lost huge amounts of time each day where before it was within COSC spec. Poor performance was due to the movement sitting idle for extended periods. I wore the watch daily for several weeks at the suggestion of my watchmaker in the hopes performance would improve. Well, it didn't and requires service to rectify.

After the above bad experience, I have all of my pieces (multiple) on a winder. After doing some research, I agree with the philosophy that the movements are designed to "run" at all times and not sit idle somewhere for extended periods. For me, the negatives of wear on the movements are offset by the positives of not having to do a full service each time I drag a seldom worn watch out of the vault.

Having said all of that, I would not buy a winder if I had only 1 automatic watch.

I recently invested in an Eilux winder, and like it better than the Wolf winder that my AD "gave" me when I bought one of the Submariners.

I find that the winder works for me due to some pieces not seeing my wrist for months at a time, but may not be for everybody.

Best of luck,

T7
Well although I got many watches none are sat in a safe like yours for like you say a year.All any watch needs if stored for any period of time is just a small wind say once a month or so,if left for a year or more that's just owner negligent sorry.Myself around 2000 bought several Rolex Tudors from a guy over in Germany.Now these were part of a huge collection all from the mid 1960s early 1970s. All these watches were as new in there boxes with all the bits papers tags etc and been stopped unwound for 25-30 years.So before buying just gave them all a wind all started and ran perfect,now some I sold but kept a few.One lady Tudor I gave the wife from the very early 1970 sat in its box for almost 30 years.Wife started wearing the watch and it kept very good time but after a month I decided to service it.The movement was perfect even the old type oil was still on the vital parts.So just gave it a oil and seal service,that watch has ran perfect for over ten years, regulated it once, but now well over due for a full service.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
wanglaw
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for the various opinions.
wanglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2013, 07:36 AM   #6
tstimepieces

Watch: Rolex Daytona
They are mechanical parts and when you use a mechanical part it wears its just like a car engine all of course in my opinion
tstimepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 01:35 PM   #7
kryten2001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tims1 View Post
They are mechanical parts and when you use a mechanical part it wears its just like a car engine all of course in my opinion
Interesting analogy given 70-80% of engine wear is on startup......

650 winds a day should be fine. I've had my sub on 650 turns during extended storage without any issue.
kryten2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2013, 07:09 AM   #8
jason1332
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO LM 45.5
This page has specific guidance based on brand and model : http://www.spin-r.com/specifications.aspx
jason1332 is offline   Reply With Quote