The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2018, 03:42 AM   #211
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

All the time at work... Of all the luxury time pieces ar work that I see on a consistent basis (other than mine)

3 SubC
1 Exp I
1 TT DJ II
1 GMTc LN

Couple of Brietlings and Tags...

I have yet to see a Patek, AP, VC, Lange, or other Haute Horology brands.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:01 AM   #212
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRT View Post
you don't see many LVC's!

You’re right. Very rare, but I was at the supermarket yesterday morning and the gentleman in front of me in line had one. I was wearing my 619. I wanted to say something to him, but he was an older gentleman and he looked kinda cranky . So I kept my comments to myself. 3rd time I’ve seen one in the wild.
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:03 AM   #213
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
because majority don't care for it
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:07 AM   #214
NorthCoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 2 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Never heard of a TT DD.

Never trusted that guy. Lol!
NorthCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:12 AM   #215
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoaster View Post
Never trusted that guy. Lol!
With the exception of a brief, and very rare, run in SS in the 1950s, the Day Date has always been a PM-only model, which rules out an SS-YG combo. I'm not aware Rolex ever produced a WG-YG or PT-YG two-tone version, either.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:21 AM   #216
jakjakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, BLNR
I work in a large, long-established tech firm in Utah. Just about everyone who wears a watch is wearing an Apple Watch. The rest are G-Shocks or some other smart watch brand, including fit-bits. I've yet to see anyone wearing a Sub in or outside of work (excluding one of the sales ascociates at the local Rolex AD).
jakjakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:24 AM   #217
NorthCoaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With the exception of a brief, and very rare, run in SS in the 1950s, the Day Date has always been a PM-only model, which rules out an SS-YG combo. I'm not aware Rolex ever produced a WG-YG or PT-YG two-tone version, either.
It's almost certainly not in that category. Told me his wife got it for him in the far East. Guess she's not to be trusted either ?
Old 22 October 2018, 06:31 AM   #218
|404|
Banned

City of London (Financial district) black sub is quite common...

Its typically bought after a good year and our standard industry wide 30% bonus on top of base.

I'm the only one with a Sky-D that I've seen in my department of wealth management... and the only Pateks...

There are a few DJ's, and a Sea of black subs... no kermits... no hulks.
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:32 AM   #219
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
One thing to keep in mind, the Sub is probably the most replicated watch and tons of companies try to create look a likes due to its popularity. If you’re looking from a far maybe some of what folks see are not Subs in fact.

I personally tend to see a lot more DJs than I do Subs.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:44 AM   #220
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
It's almost certainly not in that category. Told me his wife got it for him in the far East. Guess she's not to be trusted either ?
She may be completely honest and just didn't know what kind of seller she was buying from. But yeah, a non-existent Rolex model bought in the "far East" doesn't exactly scream genuine.
Old 22 October 2018, 07:01 AM   #221
cvera
"TRF" Member

I see them anytime I'm at a semi expensive venue. For example, just had brunch at a lounge and a two tone was spotted.
cvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:19 AM   #222
Sebastian5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Technically not a two-tone but the Tridor is probably the closest they came to a TT Day-Date

Sebastian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:02 AM   #223
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian5 View Post
Technically not a two-tone but the Tridor is probably the closest they came to a TT Day-Date

I'm always learning something on this forum. The only reason I know about the SS Day Date is because I once said the DD was a PM-only model, and someone corrected me. (Ironically, Bob's Watches, which is the source of your pic, says the DD was only ever made in gold or platinum, so even they didn't quite nail that one.) It's difficult to make all-encompassing pronouncements due to the obscure rarities Rolex made that so many of us don't know about. Anyway, thanks for the info.

NorthCoaster, if your co-worker is sporting a Tridor, then I'll stand corrected. However, I'm still leaning toward thinking he's got a not-so-genuine article. I'll be interested to see if you can get a closer look the next time you see him.

BTW, what area of Northern Ireland are you in, if you don't mind me asking? (And if you don't want to disclose, I understand.) My grandfather was born in Clogher in 1902, in a farmhouse that is now a bed-and-breakfast.
Old 22 October 2018, 09:35 AM   #224
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
I saw one in the ship-yard, here in Korea.....
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:37 AM   #225
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i see one almost every day in nyc
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:42 AM   #226
s_haverford
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO,OP-36 White
I live in a metropolitan area (LA) and I around a decent part of town and I see Sub.'s all the time. I am surprised as I really thought I would see more OP's.
s_haverford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:54 AM   #227
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I see waaaayyy more datejust and day dates in my
Line of work, always on people attending weddings

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:03 AM   #228
maxutil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I'm in LA and see at least one sub everyday. Today I saw a ceramic Daytona on a random guy in the wild. In Asia, nice watches are common and it's the only place where I've seen BLNR's, platinum Daytona, and others in the wild on random people.
maxutil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:05 AM   #229
doubleclass
Banned

I agree, they are actually common.
doubleclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:44 PM   #230
AdamG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 digit ref
I have a Sub

and yes they are EVERYWHERE!
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 01:21 PM   #231
grymg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually saw one in the wild yesterday at a pumpkin patch of all places. He also had a Supreme box logo hat, backpack, skinny track pants, and Adidas. So I guess the LVc fit the "hypebeast" billing more than a Bape G-Shock would
Old 22 October 2018, 04:03 PM   #232
NorthCoaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm always learning something on this forum. The only reason I know about the SS Day Date is because I once said the DD was a PM-only model, and someone corrected me. (Ironically, Bob's Watches, which is the source of your pic, says the DD was only ever made in gold or platinum, so even they didn't quite nail that one.) It's difficult to make all-encompassing pronouncements due to the obscure rarities Rolex made that so many of us don't know about. Anyway, thanks for the info.

NorthCoaster, if your co-worker is sporting a Tridor, then I'll stand corrected. However, I'm still leaning toward thinking he's got a not-so-genuine article. I'll be interested to see if you can get a closer look the next time you see him.

BTW, what area of Northern Ireland are you in, if you don't mind me asking? (And if you don't want to disclose, I understand.) My grandfather was born in Clogher in 1902, in a farmhouse that is now a bed-and-breakfast.
I split my time between Craigavon, where I work and Portstewart up on the North Coast where we have a holiday home. I've been through Clougher many times, a very picturesque village.

Coincidentally, Portstewart used to have a Guesthouse called Oregon.

I'm still not sure about this watch though. I'll try and get a better look, but not sure if he's likely to give me much more info.
Old 22 October 2018, 04:21 PM   #233
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

I agree, Subs are everywhere but that's not surprising. Before the shortage, black Sub was probably the number one seller so it makes sense that they will be on a lot of wrists. I would say it's probably the most common Rolex I see on the wrist but it's still one of the best everyday Rolex you can buy today.
Old 22 October 2018, 04:32 PM   #234
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I split my time between Craigavon, where I work and Portstewart up on the North Coast where we have a holiday home. I've been through Clougher many times, a very picturesque village.

Coincidentally, Portstewart used to have a Guesthouse called Oregon.

I'm still not sure about this watch though. I'll try and get a better look, but not sure if he's likely to give me much more info.
Nice to have you here. Welcome to the forum.
Old 24 October 2018, 12:08 AM   #235
Gaspasser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawgmoths View Post
8k isn't a lot of money. The people who purchase a black sub will probably wear it for a lifetime. If a deli owner can afford it you know it isn't a big deal!
Let's be honest, 8K is a lot of money. In the US in 2016, median household income was just over 59K (the highest ever, BTW). For people on this forum, it might not be a big deal. However, for the overwhelming majority of the world, an $8000 watch is unthinkable
Gaspasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 12:13 AM   #236
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Where I live now, you see nothing. But back in VA and FL, subs were everywhere.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 12:14 AM   #237
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspasser View Post
Let's be honest, 8K is a lot of money. In the US in 2016, median household income was just over 59K (the highest ever, BTW). For people on this forum, it might not be a big deal. However, for the overwhelming majority of the world, an $8000 watch is unthinkable
People own much more than they make. And they can throw money on everything.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 12:34 AM   #238
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspasser View Post
For someone in northern Alabama, or where I am (North Carolina), yes. But in San Francisco that's barely more than the price of two months in a single one bedroom apartment ($3,460/month average monthly rent). Inflation is real, it's just mostly concentrated on certain geographic regions.
Old 24 October 2018, 12:39 AM   #239
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakjakman View Post
I work in a large, long-established tech firm in Utah. Just about everyone who wears a watch is wearing an Apple Watch. The rest are G-Shocks or some other smart watch brand, including fit-bits. I've yet to see anyone wearing a Sub in or outside of work (excluding one of the sales ascociates at the local Rolex AD).
Sad but true. I want to vomit when I see an adult male professional wearing a freaking Apple watch to the office. It looks like they are wearing a toy on their wrist. But I see probably 10+ "smart" watches for every one true mechanical watch out in the wild. Hopefully the smart watch fad will plateau and then gradually fade in time, but who knows...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 12:42 AM   #240
MinMay
Banned

“Subs Are Everywhere” ............. Really ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Sad but true. I want to vomit when I see an adult male professional wearing a freaking Apple watch to the office. It looks like they are wearing a toy on their wrist. But I see probably 10+ "smart" watches for every one true mechanical watch out in the wild. Hopefully the smart watch fad will plateau and then gradually fade in time, but who knows...
Wow, are you serious? Does it matter what people wear? Now that’s sad...
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote