The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 August 2018, 04:27 AM   #1
Kowlick
"TRF" Member

Bracelet links on Explorer 114270

Hi all, I’ve been to several ADs and haven’t found an answer to this question. Hoping someone here might have an answer. I have an Explorer 114270 that “rides high” towards the 12 o’clock side — not really centered on the wrist.

There are five bracelet links on the 6 o’clock side and seven on the 12 o’clock side and yet the clasp still isn’t centered — it’s jammed to one side — which causes the watch to tend to not be centered.

I’d like to move one link from 6 o’clock to 12 o’clock but It looks like five links is the minimum I can have (on either side) using a screwdriver to adjust.

1) Is this normal for a 2002 Explorer? I have a SubC and BLNR that can adjust down to four links on the 6 o’clock side. They sit much more naturally on the wrist.
2) Is there a way to remove a permanent link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kowlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 04:44 AM   #2
R!$
Banned

1. very normal and usually overlooked
2. I wouldnt go down that road if I were you...
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 04:51 AM   #3
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Strange. You can have 4 links on the 6 o'clock side on a Submariner. With your watch it looks like you are stuck with 5.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 10:26 PM   #4
leetse2
"TRF" Member

This might be helpful.

https://www.minus4plus6.com/bracelet.php
leetse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 11:09 PM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
And therein lies one of the issues with 5 digit vs. 6 digit bracelets, IMO.

To answer your questions, yes, it is normal (unfortunately).

And yes, you can remove the permanent link. It's actually a DIY job, or if you have a competent watchmaker, you can have him do it for you. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:53 PM   #6
Kowlick
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. Leetse2, that is a really great link. It describes exactly the issue I’m running into. Would rather not DIY this. Going to see if I can find an AD that knows how to remove the permanent link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kowlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:26 PM   #7
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
1 - yes, it's normal. I have the same issue as you on the same watch.
2 - yes there is. RSC actually told me they could do it but advised against it.

All of my 5 digit pieces sit like this, so I've just gotten used to it. Figured it's better than removing a permanent link if I ever wanted to sell them.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
It’s normal. Go and remove a permanent link from the 6 o’clock side and you won’t regret it!
Old 23 October 2018, 05:04 PM   #9
bob78h
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610
From your shots it doesn't look too off center to me. I think if you moved one link over you might find the 6:00 side too short.

You can remove a permanent link but the link gets destroyed in the process. If you can live with how it is currently I would recommend against having that done. You also won't have a smooth taper to the clasp, since the first 4 links taper.

I used to own a 114270 (wish I had held on to it), and had a permanent link removed to get 4 links on the 6:00 side. However I have really small wrists, so the clasp was literally hanging off my wrist before, and even with a link removed it was still off center (I have 3.5 links on that side on the 6 digit models).

Another possibility which I've heard of but haven't tried, is to see if you can find a watchmaker who can take out the link attached to the clasp and put in a new rivet. That way you could always go back if you want to sell the watch or don't like the fit.
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 11:03 PM   #10
wardman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c date
Another reason the glidelock is the best ever..... But that is a different convo. I Googled and bought a 1/2 link for my GMT. Problem solved. They are out there and mine was 35 USD. Maybe an option for you.
wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 03:44 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowlick View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. Leetse2, that is a really great link. It describes exactly the issue I’m running into. Would rather not DIY this. Going to see if I can find an AD that knows how to remove the permanent link.
Removing a permanent link is common and a time honored way to shorten a bracelet half. So common, in fact, that this is the reason the latest bracelets have a sharper taper and can be shortened to 4 links.

A good craftsman can actually grind the side taper of your older bracelet with a link removed, to the exact same profile of the new 4 link halves. Usually the slight mis-match is not noticeable though and so this is seldom done - but some of us are perfectionists.