The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 October 2018, 11:39 PM   #31
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

I think the most notable feature with a Sub is the black bezel and the oyster bracelet, rather than the date magnifier. I don't think my no-dates were any more inconspicuous than my date Subs, but the ND certainly have a cleaner, more balanced dial.
Old 20 October 2018, 11:42 PM   #32
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

If you want to fly under the radar, the Explorer or Air King are the watch.
Old 20 October 2018, 11:54 PM   #33
Maiden
"TRF" Member

In my experience it flys under the radar as a ROLEX. It has great wrist presence and people will notice you have on a nice watch, but to the non WIS they will only associate Rolex if they read the dial. This has happened to me countless times over the years where co workers etc say "beautiful watch, what is it?" Then they look at the dial and go "oh its a Rolex" I have had this happen in watch boutiques by salespeople. To the masses a sub is a sub date with cyclops.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 11:58 PM   #34
IR201
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the helpful replies. I should provide context.

I recently got the ceramic sub date but have not worn publicly yet...this is partly because (as I posted previously) I am not sure if I prefer the no date (and I want to keep my watch it in great condition in case I trade). I also have no idea what to expect if wear it. I don't want a lot of attention from it (judgey glances, envious eyes, etc.).

I realize it is stupid to have a sub c and not want attention! But I love the watch (more than all the other options out there, which i know well) and don't want to not wear something i love because i can't handle attention or perceived from it. i think this issue is why i have been thinking of the no date, because in my head i could have the best of both worlds - the sub i love plus a more low key/under the radar. BUT i wanted to fact check this assumption based on your experiences. That is, if noticability is the primary driver of my wanting to trade, and if differences in noticability between the date and no date are largely a myth, then i'd rather save my money and just get over it.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 12:00 AM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Does the no date sub actually fly under the radar?

radar is for surface contacts. It is undetectable to sonar? possibly.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 12:05 AM   #36
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
no way, you cant fly under the radar with that bezel, printing on the dial and the bracelet. they are so rolex.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 12:09 AM   #37
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Wondering about experiences on the no date sub vs the date bubble version. I hear a lot of people say the no date flies under the radar and want to know if this is true. Does the cyclops really make that big of a difference in who notices? Especially if we are talking about the new ceramic versions. Anyone who has experience with both date and no date have any inputs on differences in getting noticed? Thanks.
In short No.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 12:22 AM   #38
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
It’s a Rolex sub, people that don’t know anything about watches know a Rolex sub, only way to fly under the radar is to put it under your sleeve

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 12:26 AM   #39
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Depends on where you live, I guess. In metro areas where I live/frequent, a no-date Sub is plentiful and easily recognizable.
Old 21 October 2018, 12:40 AM   #40
|404|
Banned

People here need to realise not everyone is a WIS...

Most rolex fly under the radar unless they are particularly blingy.

Furthermore, the submariner is the most copied design in the world... chances are people would have seen that style watch and think its the same as what everyone else is wearing.

To those in the know sure it may "stick" out... but even then... not really.

I was sat next to a guy on the tube the other day and even though I am a hardened WIS, I failed to notice the Omega Seamaster on his wrist for about 15 minutes!
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 12:59 AM   #41
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

There are many factors at play. Hardly anyone noticed my 14060 no date Sub at work but I also wore a suit so it wasn’t really visible much of the time. Those who did notice also owned nice timepieces. I currently own a Deep Sea that is ten years old and even that has generated only a couple of comments over all that time. If you plan to wear it in the workplace, check to see what others are wearing first but honestly most people just don’t notice.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:07 AM   #42
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
To be honest, I feel like the term "under the radar" is one we WIS use here on the forum, and is really more applicable to us when describing watches we all notice to some varying degree.

For example, if I saw a sub (date or non) out in the wild, I would def notice. Another example, my wife and I were out at breakfast one morning and the waitress just oohed and aahed over my wife's watch...a cheap fashion watch. I was wearing a gold sub.

So...bottom line, I think we lose a little perspective around here. And the term "under the radar" is really more of a WIS term, as opposed to the general public.
Agreed

To the OP, I guess I’ll go against the grain here somewhat and say that IMO to the non WIS out there, the cyclops (aka as the “bubble”) is one of the most noticeable features of a Rolex. I think to non WIS it says Rolex more than anyhing else.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:15 AM   #43
Elmer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060
Icon16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Agreed

To the OP, I guess I’ll go against the grain here somewhat and say that IMO to the non WIS out there, the cyclops (aka as the “bubble”) is one of the most noticeable features of a Rolex. I think to non WIS it says Rolex more than anyhing else.
As above
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:17 AM   #44
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Op, I believe it certainly does fly under.

The date mag is a known Rolex hallmark even to the non-wis lay person.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:22 AM   #45
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Yes all watches fly under the radar even gold ones.nobody will notice or care about what watch your wearing.apart from wis types an even they will probbly only stare at your wrist on the train lol and not comment.ive never had a comment about my Rolex or Tudors. People just don't give a shit about watches apart from us :)
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:41 AM   #46
Beelzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Here is some perspective.
I wore a 5513 on a NATO for a few years and only one chap noticed it. He was a WIS.
I then wore a 14060 for a few more and nobody noticed at all.
Finally settled on 16610, and wear it on a NATO, and it gets noticed.
The Cyclops attracts attention.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:46 AM   #47
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
5 digit reference fly under the radar more than the maxi case 6 digit reference in my opinion. However, a sub is iconic as heck, so you’ll definitely have trouble hiding it.
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:01 AM   #48
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Submariner.

Submariner Date.

No such model as the “no date”.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:15 AM   #49
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Submariner.

Submariner Date.

No such model as the “no date”.
i call it the ND sub. The sub date being the most common one everyone just calls that one a "sub" and then everyone is confused.

No such thing as a batman watch either yet here we are, calling it that
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:21 AM   #50
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful replies. I should provide context.

I recently got the ceramic sub date but have not worn publicly yet...this is partly because (as I posted previously) I am not sure if I prefer the no date (and I want to keep my watch it in great condition in case I trade). I also have no idea what to expect if wear it. I don't want a lot of attention from it (judgey glances, envious eyes, etc.).

I realize it is stupid to have a sub c and not want attention! But I love the watch (more than all the other options out there, which i know well) and don't want to not wear something i love because i can't handle attention or perceived from it. i think this issue is why i have been thinking of the no date, because in my head i could have the best of both worlds - the sub i love plus a more low key/under the radar. BUT i wanted to fact check this assumption based on your experiences. That is, if noticability is the primary driver of my wanting to trade, and if differences in noticability between the date and no date are largely a myth, then i'd rather save my money and just get over it.
You seem to be all wrapped up on your watch attracting attention. Unless you are very insecure or have paranoia about being mugged, my advice to you is wear the watch that makes you the most happy and don't worry about anything else. The average person in the wild doesn't know what you have on your wrist, nor do 99.9% even care. I personally don't wear a 25K gold Sub to attract attention or impress anyone. I wear it because it brings me enjoyment and I like it. If you stick around here you will see the same from most other members. We enjoy our watches for us. Not to attract attention or impress others.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:23 AM   #51
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
I would say no. I think the submariner is the most recognizable Rolex alongside the two-tone datejust. I received more comments on my 116610LN than any other watch I own combined.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:39 AM   #52
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

not really.
from a blink it looks like a sub to a non WIS in all aspects. only closer look or "staring" at it may show it doesn't have a cyclope.
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:40 AM   #53
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Here is some perspective.
I wore a 5513 on a NATO for a few years and only one chap noticed it. He was a WIS.
I then wore a 14060 for a few more and nobody noticed at all.
Finally settled on 16610, and wear it on a NATO, and it gets noticed.
The Cyclops attracts attention.
You wear t-shirts all the time? Else yeah, no one will notice anything if it's covered up or barely visible.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:50 AM   #54
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I must be different. In 30 years of wearing Subs, only a few times has anyone ever said anything. The occasional WIS might comment, but very rare for the general public to notice or say anything.
The Submariner is iconic to me and my favorite watch of all time, but I just don’t believe non watch people really look or give a ****...
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 06:09 AM   #55
Hamstur
"TRF" Member

People who aren't into watches don't notice or care, unless it's an Apple.

Last Sunday, I was at dinner with a colleague from out of town and my wife. He likes watches but doesn't own any true luxury pieces. He mentions he considered a smart watch that went on sale this week. My wife comments she knows someone who owns a Rolex and she had the chance to check it out, and it was a very nice and very expensive watch. He glanced at me and I just gently smiled in a manner of saying "don't say anything."

I wear a Rolex everyday, including a Hulk and YM40 in rotation. I was sitting next to her wearing a DaytonaC.
Hamstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 06:10 AM   #56
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
I must be different. In 30 years of wearing Subs, only a few times has anyone ever said anything. .
Saying anything or noticing, very different. Not many will say anything but many will 'notice' a nice watch (whether they know what it is or not is another subject).
Today I was in a fast food burger restaurant, when I pulled up my sleeve to check the time and my freshly Cape Cod clothed 116613LB lit the place up like Marsellus Wallace's briefcase (), I saw a few folks 'notice'.. so much so that I put my sleeve down again.. nobody said anything though..
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 06:31 AM   #57
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

I’m with the people here who say watches don’t really get that much attention. Obviously there are people out there who are enthusiasts, in my experience they are in the minority. I’m not sure buying a luxury watch with the criteria it needs to be ‘under the radar’ makes much sense anyway. If you want a watch like that then just buy a Seiko.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 06:41 AM   #58
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
In 20 years of wearing, I can honestly say only one person has ever passed comment on my Rolex (and that was because he happened to be wearing the same model). That said, I've no doubt watch enthusiasts notice it (as I often do when I see others wearing a nice piece) - but here in the UK we're too polite to mention it... Wear what makes you happy and be content that those who know, notice
Halitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 07:02 AM   #59
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
In my experience, nobody notices what you are wearing unless they are a WIS. Anybody buying a Rolex in hopes that it’ll be widely recognized will generally be disappointed.

Buy whatever will bring a smile to your face every time you look at your wrist. That’s the only way you come out on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 07:16 AM   #60
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

wearing a rolex isn't like driving a lambo. all eyes won't be on you and 99% of people don't look at people's wrists. you'd get more attention wearing gucci sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by azs.77 View Post
In my experience, nobody notices what you are wearing unless they are a WIS. Anybody buying a Rolex in hopes that it’ll be widely recognized will generally be disappointed.

Buy whatever will bring a smile to your face every time you look at your wrist. That’s the only way you come out on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agreed
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote