The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2018, 02:58 AM   #91
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
There not my favorite more into the subs and gmt's but no doubt they are nice.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 09:34 PM   #92
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
If you look at the history of the watch, rarity/brand recognition/investment come to mind.

Daytona's movement is great. The watch is comfortable. The MSRP is okay given the competition. But the stark reality is that Daytona allure is having one of the most desired watches on the planet. Neuroscientists and marketers love that stuff--there is a whole field dedicated to understanding luxury markets and growth of luxury businesses. Rarity, prestige, and other elements linked to emotional attachment are the primary drivers. (Will let you look up studies on this subject on your own, but if you observed the recent SS "shortage," you get the point.)

Basically, everyone with a bit of savings can get a Submariner (as evidenced by major metro areas). But it takes some effort to get a Daytona unless you're willing to pay over MSRP or jump through many hoops. Interestingly enough, this is the same model/lineage that was not popular at the beginning.
Good Stuff!

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 09:50 PM   #93
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
I’m just curious why folks like the Daytona so much?. The watch does nothing for me at any price. Some are going to get angry at my question but I’m just curious what the draw is. I’m a huge fan of subs and gmt, other than those two nothing sings to me.

A date function is very appealing to me so perhaps that’s one significant reason the Daytona doesn’t appeal to me.
il like the OF versions... that's it. The pt one is nice, but for that price i would want the ceramic bezel to be black

chronographs are difficult to get a date right and its often slapped on there almost like an afterthought, and it does nothing to enhance the design of the watch. Dates at 4:30 never look good. A datograph is an example of a watch with a date where it enhances the design, not takes away from it
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 10:04 PM   #94
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts View Post
The "hype " on the Daytona is not current . It has been that way for the stainless model for at least the last twenty years.
Not true....while the Daytona has carried a certain bit of exclusivity for the past couple decades, due to the way AD would keep them in the back for certain customers, the current hype is at an all time high
Old 27 December 2018, 11:24 PM   #95
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I can't for the life of me understand why they put a big fat black ceramic bezel on what was a fairly elegant sport chronograph. Actually I guess I do understand it, I just don't appreciate the look.

I do understand that I am in the minority since it is almost worshiped by many and a very hot seller. Maybe I just don't like bold bezels in general.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 12:20 AM   #96
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy3 View Post
Because I was born in Daytona.
Haha, I studied there, also worked on several instances at the Daytona racetrack when I was a student. Ahhh, Daytona Spring break brings some great memories.

Ahem, and I am on the list for a Daytona 500c. The white dial ceramic/bezel Daytona is stuningly gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 12:23 AM   #97
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
I want to like it, but want it bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 12:47 AM   #98
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Why do folks like Daytona?

I initially did not understand the “hype.” I thought it was overrated, and I did not like how there was no date function.

Then I tried on the white dial DaytonaC, and I loved it! The white dial adds versatility to my black and blue dial collection, and has a sparkle to it. I was fortunate to get one from my AD and I’m smitten!
Old 28 December 2018, 12:55 AM   #99
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avega357 View Post
I want to like it, but want it bigger

My fiancée said the same thing but it wasn’t about the Daytona.

jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:20 AM   #100
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Nice! Lol!

It’s the one reference, I can not, put my finger on my overwhelming attraction!
I love having a date on my watches, I don’t time anything, etc.... it’s just SO damn attractive to my eyes.
I’ve had most all iterations of the Daytona....in my opinion...the depth (especially that), colors, hands, pushers, case, and simplicity/contrast of the sub-dials... are most attractive on the 4 digit models!
Just an unmistakable “cool factor” with the 4 digit models (IMO)
I’m just a big fan!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:26 AM   #101
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I get the allure of the Daytona after trying a black one on at my AD but it just wasn't me so l had to pass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:27 AM   #102
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon19 As Told by ROLEX.com

"Perfectly Mastered Symmetry"

Click on the link above for Blissful Happiness

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:42 AM   #103
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
I’ve owned two Daytona’s in my life. A yellow gold Zenith on a strap and a SS pre-ceramic. They are long gone now but were both super comfortable to wear. Part of the allure was the rarity and difficulty of obtaining one. I also loved the look of the Chrono dial even though it is completely useless to me and I’ve never used it. I recently adopted my wife’s gold Daytona reaffirming my enjoyment of this reference. A Platona may come sometime soon.
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:44 AM   #104
R G
Banned

Hype, for many.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:46 AM   #105
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
I’m just curious why folks like the Daytona so much?. The watch does nothing for me at any price. Some are going to get angry at my question but I’m just curious what the draw is. I’m a huge fan of subs and gmt, other than those two nothing sings to me.

A date function is very appealing to me so perhaps that’s one significant reason the Daytona doesn’t appeal to me.
People love it for its price appreciation and classic chronograph look. As far as a date function, is a watch really the only way you figure out what day it is?
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:50 AM   #106
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
To the OP I felt exactly the same way until I tried one on in person. I'll tell you why I love them now. For me its a sports watch that wears like a dress watch. The case is slim like a yachtmaster or datejust. Also, when you put one on it someone is a classy dress watch that would go with a suit and a sports watch you could wear with shorts all at the same time!!
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 02:52 AM   #107
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Rock star movement. The buzz these days is all about the new movement with the 70 hour power reserve...well, the Daytona has had that for years. It is a spectacular watch, mechanically speaking. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a chrono guy, but there will always be room for a Daytona (or two) in my collection.

And...it's the best looking chrono out there. (IMO, of course).
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 03:27 AM   #108
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have been a fan of the Daytona ever since I saw one in an AD back in the early 2000's when the 116520 had just come out. There was no real "hype" for this watch, that started in the mid 2000's. Retail was about $6,500 which seemed crazy back then.

I did not try one on until a few years later, and that is when it all began. I have really small wrists, but this watch looked perfect on me. It was sporty, it was dressy. It could be worn with jeans or with a suit, it had everything going for it. A perfect watch for somebody like myself who wanted just 1 Rolex.

I finally got one in 2007, and never looked back. I had nearly every model over the years as I promised myself to always have one in my possession. It is one model that Rolex did not "MAXI" or make significantly different over the years. I am a big fan, and will always be.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 04:13 AM   #109
alexintheair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP
Because it’s good and the trend.
alexintheair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 04:17 AM   #110
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I had two white/ss Daytonas, sold them both. They wear really small.
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 04:37 AM   #111
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Why???

Because I got into motorsports and the my first Rolex (a Polar Expl. II) was too “slow”.

That began a stretch of 5 Daytona’s beginning with the 116520, then TT, YG and lastly Pt.

So no, it’s not for everyone, but for the relatively few ( compared to the million+ DJ’s produced) a Daytona dits the bill nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 05:35 AM   #112
1watch
"TRF" Member

To the OP.... hopefully after what's now 4 pages of responses you have your answer
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 05:54 AM   #113
mirror
Banned

Because it's like an adorable little baby on your wrists. haha... personal love for the piece actually.
mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 06:52 AM   #114
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Rolex should think about reintroducing the missing index adjacent to the 10 20 and 30 of the seconds sub dial (Six in total).
I don’t really hold with a company of tool watch heritage with the mantra form over function, as it should really be form follows function.
For the sub dial to have 20% of its indices missing just isn’t on.
Younger brother (Tudor) agrees, his indices arn’t missing!
Any thoughts?
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 06:58 AM   #115
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Mostly because they are ultra hard to get.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 07:14 AM   #116
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:

Because it is the BEST Rolex model available.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 07:21 AM   #117
Ignace Worang
"TRF" Member

It’s handsome, easy to tell time, chrono function and liquid (can sell it anytime)...what not to like��
Ignace Worang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 07:27 AM   #118
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Asked myself the question about the Hulk till I was able to check one out person. I think it’s the same w/ the Daytona for some. It’s not the best watch on paper, but sometimes it sells itself in person.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 07:37 AM   #119
mixxmaster
Banned

Why wouldn't anyone love a master piece.?
mixxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 08:49 AM   #120
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by roli4life View Post
asked myself the question about the hulk till i was able to check one out person. I think it’s the same w/ the daytona for some. It’s not the best watch on paper, but sometimes it sells itself in person.
x2
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote