The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2019, 09:30 AM   #121
vette
"TRF" Member

I know these arent cheap. If i could have only one rolex this would be it. I ll buy one for sure. I wanted to see the yacht master 2 and TTblusey. Keep thinking why not just go for the white gold first and be done. From the frist time i saw this at a ad i knew i had to have it
vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 10:24 AM   #122
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
You act like watches are free.

It's one thing to treat watches like stocks, anyone that's been around here long enough knows how silly that is.

It's another thing to observe the market and utilize that information. Not just to select a watch that you feel is a good value, but also to enhance the enjoyment of this hobby as the watch market and collecting in general is fascinating to many of us.

Then there's your take that watches, Rolex specifically, should be treated like a $20 hammer from the hardware store. There's a balance to everything, and while I think the hammer comparison is ridiculous, I appreciate those that truly use their watches for what they are, I just think you don't have a realistic understanding of what they are in the today's world.

This isn't internet fantasy land, as you like to put it, this is simply the internet. This is the world we live in TODAY. This is social media. You're one of the most senior mods on probably the best watch forum on the internet, and you discredit it and yourself daily by acting like the "internet" serves no useful purpose in this hobby, rather hurts it and is the primary reason for the extinction of the "true enthusiasts". People like you that thinks watches are free and should be used to hammer in nails.

At a certain point it comes off snobby to constantly tell people they are idiots making calculated choices with their money, that they're living in "internet fantasy land". Sometimes it’s like you’re saying if you have to worry about money you're not allowed in this club.

There are plenty of posts and threads that annoy me just as much as they do you, but there's really nothing more annoying than your constant negativity and belittling those that don't share your exact perspectives on what this hobby should be.

Hot damn, the silence is golden
Old 14 November 2019, 10:25 AM   #123
Drdrew
"TRF" Member

This is an amazing thread. So much love for a reference, I though I was the only way. I see this new with stickers in the classifieds around the 30k mark. I’ve got my eye on a 41mm royal oak blue dial 15500 too. Would any smurf owners pick up the Ap at retail instead of the sub of you had the choice as a one and only?
Drdrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 10:33 AM   #124
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
My Smurf will last forever, go ten years without servicing, and frankly looks fine with all the scratches I put on it. I owned a RO for like a week, did not bond with it, and if you breathed on it the bezel got scratched. For me the decision was based on reliability and durability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdrew View Post
This is an amazing thread. So much love for a reference, I though I was the only way. I see this new with stickers in the classifieds around the 30k mark. I’ve got my eye on a 41mm royal oak blue dial 15500 too. Would any smurf owners pick up the Ap at retail instead of the sub of you had the choice as a one and only?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 10:56 AM   #125
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
I picked mine up at the end of June. Took about 5 weeks to arrive. It’s the only one my AD has ever received.

I’m kinda sorta secretly hoping it is discontinued. Only time will tell. Either way, I’m glad I was able to land one.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 12:08 PM   #126
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Smurf - no longer can order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Ah ok. So a flat blue dialled YG sub is not a “bluesy”.

Maybe, the next 116619LB would have a blue sunburst dial. Since the flat blue is already taken care of by pelagos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
Seconded

Sunburst would ruin it

The flat blue looks awesome

Which means Basel 2020, sunburst Smurf here wengo
Well I don't like the flat blue of the WG Sub Smurf , would prefer it on sunburst instead. A sunbusrt blue WG Sub would look like this (from Internet):

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 12:22 PM   #127
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Look the 116619 is a terrible option to purchase, do not waste your hard earned on something priced at gold levels that looks SS.

I strongly recommend any other option over the 116619 and feel Rolex needs to do the right thing come next Basel and discontinue it once and for all.

Regards

One smug 116619LB owner.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 01:46 PM   #128
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by novae500 View Post
Smurf in SS would be such a hit!!!

Agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 02:23 PM   #129
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
man do I love my smurf! Best watch I've ever owned....

Will never stop loving staring at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1img_0689.jpg (283.7 KB, 557 views)
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 05:33 PM   #130
akilis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116695SATS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
Was told by my AD the smurf can no longer be ordered.

If any of you are on the fence and your AD has one, don’t sleep.

Just wanted to share with fellow TRF’ers.
I saw many of them sitting at AD
akilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 09:05 PM   #131
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Really hope it is continued, so we can get a normal sized one with a SB dial.

And if it has a non-PCL bracelet it would be a bonus.
What are you thinking as a ‘normal size’? 42mm with slimmed down lugs like the SD43? Now that would be something....
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 09:16 PM   #132
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:

It's one thing to treat watches like stocks, anyone that's been around here long enough knows how silly that is.

It's another thing to observe the market and utilize that information. Not just to select a watch that you feel is a good value, but also to enhance the enjoyment of this hobby as the watch market and collecting in general is fascinating to many of us.

Then there's your take that watches, Rolex specifically, should be treated like a $20 hammer from the hardware store. There's a balance to everything, and while I think the hammer comparison is ridiculous, I appreciate those that truly use their watches for what they are, I just think you don't have a realistic understanding of what they are in the today's world.

This isn't internet fantasy land, as you like to put it, this is simply the internet. This is the world we live in TODAY. This is social media. You're one of the most senior mods on probably the best watch forum on the internet, and you discredit it, and yourself daily by acting like the "internet" serves no useful purpose in this hobby, rather hurts it and is the primary reason for the extinction of the "true enthusiasts". People like you that thinks watches are free and should be used to hammer in nails.

At a certain point it comes off snobby to constantly tell people they are idiots making calculated choices with their money, that they're living in "internet fantasy land". Sometimes it’s like you’re saying if you have to worry about money you're not allowed in this club.

There are plenty of posts and threads that annoy me just as much as they do you, but there's really nothing more annoying than your constant negativity and belittling those that don't share your exact perspectives on what this hobby should be.
Corporate press release:

“We regret to announce that Peter’s views no longer align with the values of the Forum and, as such, moving forward his activity will be confined to the vintage section.” #metoo

Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 09:56 PM   #133
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:

This isn't internet fantasy land, as you like to put it, this is simply the internet. This is the world we live in TODAY. This is social media. You're one of the most senior mods on probably the best watch forum on the internet, and you discredit it, and yourself daily by acting like the "internet" serves no useful purpose in this hobby, rather hurts it and is the primary reason for the extinction of the "true enthusiasts". People like you that thinks watches are free and should be used to hammer in nails.

I missed your post originally. Thank you for posting it. The negativity from that poster has becoming tiring. And unbecoming from a moderator.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 11:40 PM   #134
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Fairy story app like many posts on forum lately,but today Rolex are no longer watches just now little more than ££££$$$$$.
There is some truth to this. In my opinion, Tudor offers a refreshing change on the $ mania.

Wearing my BB Blue on bracelet as I type. Feels like many subs I have owned, but modernized a tad. But at its heart, a solid hand made ss tool watch that tells the time and works.
Old 15 November 2019, 12:34 AM   #135
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Frankly Peter, I find it tough to swallow that a mod of this epic forum would have those contrarian views. It seems contradictory to the spirit of the impartiality required of forum mods. Care to illuminate your views with a rebuttal or counterpoint?
With humility, let me take a stab.

First, I like to step back and reflect that in a world where so many other issues seem to polarize a lot of people to the point of hatred and not being able to discuss civilly, this forum remains one of the last refuges where we can talk about a passion - watch collecting - without dragging in all the other issues. Let's hope it stays that way. Having said that...

I sympathize with both both sides of this controversy. And while I cannot see into other people's minds, here is my perspective.

When I started pocket watch, wrist watch and clock collecting in the early 90's it was a different world.

Anyone with a modicum of disposable income could participate. And except for a few temporary bubbles (e.g. bubble backs), watches of all brands and stripes were easy to come by.

So, for me the focus was always on the movement and the history of the watch. With little investment, value retention was really a non-issue. And it was fun. I mean really fun. Fascinated by the hum of an Accutron? Pick up a 14k one at your local flea market. Take it to your local watch maker, learn about it and enjoy it. Get tired of it. Go to a watch meet and trade it.

Want to try a sub? Go into most pawn shops and get one with box and papers for a lot less than the price of a used Tudor with no box and papers today. Wear it. Enjoy it. And trade it if you get tired of. But no giant investment. So no fixation with value retention. The numbers were just not that big.

When I first joined this forum, it was still mainly a place you went to learn about your watch. And to vet one before purchasing.

But social media has exploded this hobby. And giant hedge fund backed watch resellers (not the trusted sellers on this website), coupled with exploding demand and limited supply have also changed this hobby.

Two things happened.

First, an entry level watch takes a lot of money to buy. And people get concerned with value retention. I spend 10k on a watch. What if I don't like it. Can I get my money back so I can try something different without mortgaging the house? I get that and I appreciate it.

Second, there are also many who look at watches as mere investments to flip like stocks on the Dow Jones. This is a step beyond merely being concerned about not taking a bath on a watch when you want to trade it for another watch. But even so, there is nothing "bad" or wrong with this, and if this is your cup of tea, great. But it really has nothing to do with the history of time pieces or enjoying them.

Unfortunately, for those of us who remember the old days. And still think of the movement and history and wearability of a watch first, it is all too easy to lump these two views of value - retention vs. investment - into one pot. But they are not really the same.

Second, it is also easy to get frustrated at the sheer number of posts about money and value and investments. Again, they are not all the same. But they do share one common characteristic - they do not focus on the watch itself, it's workmanship or it's history. So it is easy to get frustrated that the money issues seem to crowd out the other issues we used to focus on.

But all life is change. And unless this bubble bursts, the money concerns are here to say for the foreseeable future. So, those like me who don't want to hear it, might want to try to understand that it is the new economic reality. And people want to talk about it on this forum.

But we might also want to try to understand how the old timers feel. They have a lot of information and experience to share. And it would be a poorer forum and hobby without them.

Just my opinion.
Old 15 November 2019, 04:21 AM   #136
nick800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I missed your post originally. Thank you for posting it. The negativity from that poster has becoming tiring. And unbecoming from a moderator.
Agree
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 04:38 AM   #137
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

First, I like to step back and reflect that in a world where so many other issues seem to polarize a lot of people to the point of hatred and not being able to discuss civilly, this forum remains one of the last refuges where we can talk about a passion - watch collecting - without dragging in all the other issues. Let's hope it stays that way. Having said that...

I sympathize with both both sides of this controversy. And while I cannot see into other people's minds, here is my perspective.

When I started pocket watch, wrist watch and clock collecting in the early 90's it was a different world.

Anyone with a modicum of disposable income could participate. And except for a few temporary bubbles (e.g. bubble backs), watches of all brands and stripes were easy to come by.

So, for me the focus was always on the movement and the history of the watch. With little investment, value retention was really a non-issue. And it was fun. I mean really fun. Fascinated by the hum of an Accutron? Pick up a 14k one at your local flea market. Take it to your local watch maker, learn about it and enjoy it. Get tired of it. Go to a watch meet and trade it.

Want to try a sub? Go into most pawn shops and get one with box and papers for a lot less than the price of a used Tudor with no box and papers today. Wear it. Enjoy it. And trade it if you get tired of. But no giant investment. So no fixation with value retention. The numbers were just not that big.

When I first joined this forum, it was still mainly a place you went to learn about your watch. And to vet one before purchasing.

But social media has exploded this hobby. And giant hedge fund backed watch resellers (not the trusted sellers on this website), coupled with exploding demand and limited supply have also changed this hobby.

Two things happened.

First, an entry level watch takes a lot of money to buy. And people get concerned with value retention. I spend 10k on a watch. What if I don't like it. Can I get my money back so I can try something different without mortgaging the house? I get that and I appreciate it.

Second, there are also many who look at watches as mere investments to flip like stocks on the Dow Jones. This is a step beyond merely being concerned about not taking a bath on a watch when you want to trade it for another watch. But even so, there is nothing "bad" or wrong with this, and if this is your cup of tea, great. But it really has nothing to do with the history of time pieces or enjoying them.

Unfortunately, for those of us who remember the old days. And still think of the movement and history and wearability of a watch first, it is all too easy to lump these two views of value - retention vs. investment - into one pot. But they are not really the same.

Second, it is also easy to get frustrated at the sheer number of posts about money and value and investments. Again, they are not all the same. But they do share one common characteristic - they do not focus on the watch itself, it's workmanship or it's history. So it is easy to get frustrated that the money issues seem to crowd out the other issues we used to focus on.

But all life is change. And unless this bubble bursts, the money concerns are here to say for the foreseeable future. So, those like me who don't want to hear it, might want to try to understand that it is the new economic reality. And people want to talk about it on this forum.

But we might also want to try to understand how the old timers feel. They have a lot of information and experience to share. And it would be a poorer forum and hobby without them.

Just my opinion.

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 05:15 AM   #138
Mgf8462
"TRF" Member

I'm crossing my fingers for a green dial, black bezeled Sub coming out of Basel. Who knows, but wishful thinking.
Mgf8462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 05:28 AM   #139
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I just ordered one 2 weeks ago so I think the OP needs a new AD.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 11:35 AM   #140
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I just ordered one 2 weeks ago so I think the OP needs a new AD.

I have a very respectable AD, they’ve sourced me many great pieces, some very difficult to obtain. Was sharing with the forum with good intention(s).

Has your smurf arrived?
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 12:06 PM   #141
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
I have a very respectable AD, they’ve sourced me many great pieces, some very difficult to obtain. Was sharing with the forum with good intention(s).

Has your smurf arrived?

Nope. Just ordered 2 weeks ago. He’s sold his allotment for the year so he’s not sure when he’ll get it in. I’ve had a relationship with him for nearly a decade and I still get great pricing from him even in this chaotic market, so I’ll wait patiently for the piece.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 12:20 PM   #142
JacksonStone
Banned

AD reports of discontinuation notifications via their reps are the only "my AD said" rumors I pay attention to. That's because they're not speculating; they're reporting an actual development. Usually when enough of these reports start coming from enough sources, it's a pretty good bet they're correct. Reports of the discos of the SD4K, the black-dial WG BLRO and the blue-dial 3186 WG BLRO bear this out.

There isn't critical mass yet for me to believe the Smurf is off the books. Usually, these reports start snowballing pretty quickly, and we're creeping up on two months past the start of this thread without significant corroboration. Still, it will be interesting to see how this develops. If the Smurf is off, that strengthens my suspicion 2020 might be the year the Sub range will begin to get the 3235.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 12:59 PM   #143
Freespeach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgf8462 View Post
I'm crossing my fingers for a green dial, black bezeled Sub coming out of Basel. Who knows, but wishful thinking.
Buy a Hulk and a regular sub date and switch the bezels.
Now you have two unique watches without waiting on Rolex
Freespeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 01:03 PM   #144
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
AD reports of discontinuation notifications via their reps are the only "my AD said" rumors I pay attention to. That's because they're not speculating; they're reporting an actual development. Usually when enough of these reports start coming from enough sources, it's a pretty good bet they're correct. Reports of the discos of the SD4K, the black-dial WG BLRO and the blue-dial 3186 WG BLRO bear this out.

There isn't critical mass yet for me to believe the Smurf is off the books. Usually, these reports start snowballing pretty quickly, and we're creeping up on two months past the start of this thread without significant corroboration. Still, it will be interesting to see how this develops. If the Smurf is off, that strengthens my suspicion 2020 might be the year the Sub range will begin to get the 3235.

I agree- I haven’t seen a snowball of others reporting the same. But, it is what I was told, we will see soon with Basel on the horizon.
Old 15 November 2019, 02:28 PM   #145
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I agree- I haven’t seen a snowball of others reporting the same.
To be clear, I appreciate the information. I know you're just reporting what you were told, and I'm not shooting the messenger.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 03:33 PM   #146
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I don't like the flat blue of the WG Sub Smurf , would prefer it on sunburst instead.
This.

Also, in steel.

But in steel it would end up costing as much as gold, so it might as well just be gold.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 10:14 PM   #147
Freespeach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgf8462 View Post
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reverse-Submariner-1.jpg (229.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Reverse-Submariner- 2.jpg (226.8 KB, 211 views)
Freespeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 11:16 PM   #148
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be clear, I appreciate the information. I know you're just reporting what you were told, and I'm not shooting the messenger.

You bet, it’s all good. I’ve also been watching and wondering if anyone else has heard the same.

Making a trip to the AD Saturday, will follow up and see if anything has changed.
Old 15 November 2019, 11:33 PM   #149
jets
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 12:37 AM   #150
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This is a cogent, even-handed post. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

Two things happened.

Just my opinion.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote