The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 October 2019, 09:51 PM   #1
psheerin
"TRF" Member

Air King thoughts...

I bought the AK over the Summer. Overall I really like the watch - design, weight, size all perfect.

I do have some 'issues' which if I knew at the time of purchase, I most likely would have considered an alternative.

1. Up until I bought the AK, I slept with my watch-hand under my pillow. Can't do that now as the ticking and movement sounds reverberate through the cushion into my ear! So need to keep the watch off at night.

2. The Chromalight is unfortunately disappointing - I struggle to read the time as the hour markers are not illuminated. IMO Chromolight is too faint.

3. I really miss not having a date on a watch.

4. Having to adjust the time every month (albeit small increments) is something that took me a while to get used to..

Other than that the watch is handsome, fits very well and is increasing in value.

Just thought I would share..
psheerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 08:41 AM   #2
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Are you talking about the Air King 116900? If so, the Rolex AK you cannot hear the ticking. Struggle to read during the night... I suggest you get that Rolex checked if it's ticking and get yourself a digital alarm clock so you can see the time....
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 09:58 PM   #3
psheerin
"TRF" Member

Yes, 116900. If you press it against your ear you can hear ticking and the mechanical movement.
psheerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2019, 12:11 AM   #4
JoseR
"TRF" Member

You must have a quartz or fake....

Listen for the telltale "tick, tick, tick" rather than a much more rapid ticking noise. On standard watches, the motion of the second hand is jerky and truncated because the majority of them are quartz watches. The second hand shifts abruptly from each second position to the next. If you listen carefully, you can usually hear a quiet "tick, tick, tick" from this motion.

On the other hand, Rolexes (and many other fine watches) have second hands that move almost perfectly smoothly because they have automatic movements not quartz. Because of this, Rolex does not make a "ticking" noise. If you hear a slow ticking noise coming from your watch, this is a dead giveaway that you're not wearing a real Rolex. The noise you hear should be much faster than a battery operated watch.
Old 13 October 2019, 10:14 PM   #5
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by psheerin View Post
I do have some 'issues' which if I knew at the time of purchase, I most likely would have considered an alternative.
Congrats on your purchase. It is a fine watch and a great value.

But I have to ask you, how could you not have known that this watch did not have a date?

And as to having to reset the time every month...

My AirKing has always been within the stated tolerates. If you are concerned with a 1 minute max change a month and do not want to reset each month, a mechanical watch may not be for you. If you are experiencing more than a 1 minute a month difference, then you may want to have your watch checked by Rolex.

And I will echo the other poster above, I have found that the double case makes this most difficult watch to hear beating that I have ever owned.

Again, enjoy your AirKing. It is a great watch and a great value.
Old 17 October 2019, 10:59 PM   #6
chrisjm29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Congrats on your purchase. It is a fine watch and a great value.

But I have to ask you, how could you not have known that this watch did not have a date?

And as to having to reset the time every month...

My AirKing has always been within the stated tolerates. If you are concerned with a 1 minute max change a month and do not want to reset each month, a mechanical watch may not be for you. If you are experiencing more than a 1 minute a month difference, then you may want to have your watch checked by Rolex.

And I will echo the other poster above, I have found that the double case makes this most difficult watch to hear beating that I have ever owned.

Again, enjoy your AirKing. It is a great watch and a great value.
Couldn't agree more. And the accuracy - superb.

My model is currently running average +0.6 - Very impressed!
chrisjm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 11:05 PM   #7
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I never heard mine tick. That's 8 ticks per second.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 08:04 AM   #8
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

I first saw this watch in 2016, right after it's debut. I loved the New 40mm dial and design but was also disappointed at the lack of a date complication, and lume.

Chromalight on the 3, 6, and 9 with white gold outline, would have been more complimentary to the hands and the 12 o'clock triangle.

Air-King references were always No Date watches (save for a short period where a date complication was introduced), so Rolex keeping that tradition should be maintained.

At 34mm, Air-king was never a consideration (way to small), but now I'm in the game at 40mm.

I already have a couple of Date complication Rolex references, so I'm ok with the no date on this one, but the lack of lume, is still disappointing.

Unfortunately, at this time there are no other Air-King Dial choices.

Maybe there will be some new introductions as time moves on?
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 12:53 PM   #9
nrr5
"TRF" Member

I’m considering an air king but now getting worried. What is your overall impression?
nrr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 12:52 PM   #10
varun
"TRF" Member

It is the cheapest 6k of the whole Rolex Lot - so i guess all newbies pick Air King as their first brand new Rolex
varun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 01:02 PM   #11
Silver_Fox
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, SPB119J1
Just got my brand new Datejust from AD in October 2019... definitely not a “tick,” but you most certainly can hear the movement at work if placed against the ear in an otherwise silent place... it’s fantastic... amazing really... i love it... perhaps that’s what the OP is talking about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 01:05 PM   #12
Silver_Fox
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, SPB119J1
Well... reread the OP... most def shouldn’t be able to hear anything through a cushion... ... can barely hear the movement when silent and placed against the ear

Silver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 06:02 PM   #13
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
1-You can hear the watch ticking while being under the pillow?! This means 2 things, either you have a super-human ears or the watch: A) have a problem. B) is fake.

2-The Lume on modern Rolex is OK, not the brightest, but do not expect it to shine like an apple watch through the night. However, charging the lume for a couple of minutes before going to bed using a UV light will make the watch glow in the dark and last at least 5, 6 hours visible before the glow fades completely away.

3-

4-Being a Rolex that loses or gain a couple of seconds / day means you have to rest the time only once each couple of months. Having no date makes resetting intervals even longer than watches with date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psheerin View Post
I bought the AK over the Summer. Overall I really like the watch - design, weight, size all perfect.

1. Up until I bought the AK, I slept with my watch-hand under my pillow. Can't do that now as the ticking and movement sounds reverberate through the cushion into my ear! So need to keep the watch off at night.

2. The Chromalight is unfortunately disappointing - I struggle to read the time as the hour markers are not illuminated. IMO Chromolight is too faint.

3. I really miss not having a date on a watch.

4. Having to adjust the time every month (albeit small increments) is something that took me a while to get used to..

Other than that the watch is handsome, fits very well and is increasing in value.

Just thought I would share..
Old 1 February 2020, 04:55 AM   #14
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
A new watch shouldn't loose or gain that much time. The watch probably shouldn't be that loud under a pillow. When I leave my watch flat on a wooden bedside locker, when its quiet at night I can hear the movement producing a faint high pitched tone ( just under a concert C). I never heard a loud tick sound from any of my Rolexs.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 07:40 AM   #15
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrr5 View Post
I’m considering an air king but now getting worried. What is your overall impression?
Love the watch!
I am hoping that Rolex introduces another dial option or several dial options while continuing to use this case. I realize that the Milguass is almost identical save for the name printed on the dial and the hands, but I think a choice of Air-King Dials would be a nice alternative.

Basel '20?
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 11:49 PM   #16
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
A-K is my favourite Rolex to wear... my go to watch ... I just love everything about it!

Old 23 May 2020, 01:03 AM   #17
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnHand View Post
A-K is my favourite Rolex to wear... my go to watch ... I just love everything about it!

I just got the Everest Rubber band for my AK and I love it. It's much lighter and comfortable and the black band really makes the dial pop. Do a search on Air King Rubber band on the forum so you can see some pictures. I think you'll like it once you see it on rubber...
Old 25 May 2020, 11:41 AM   #18
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I can hear all of my Rolex watches ticking under a pillow and they are nowhere near fake.
It’s faint but you can definitely hear the fast ticking if it’s quiet enough in the room.

Old 26 May 2020, 01:16 AM   #19
CultivatedWorld
"TRF" Member

We love the Rolex Air-King. Check out our latest pictures and our video review of the Rolex Air-King. Let us know what you think?

It's so different from everything else in the range.
CultivatedWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:45 AM   #20
CultivatedWorld
"TRF" Member

We love the Rolex Air-King. This is our latest photo and video review.

https://youtu.be/qrCsGzXC_c8

CultivatedWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 09:51 PM   #21
ReinoudLouman
"TRF" Member

nice watch
ReinoudLouman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 05:44 PM   #22
mike morris
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN -116234
What you think about leather?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C36C4B53-6755-4ABE-BD59-C371ABE65D9E.jpeg (285.7 KB, 258 views)
mike morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 10:06 AM   #23
Greetings
"TRF" Member

It's a fine timepiece, thank you for sharing!

If you don't mind could you also share how long (if you did) did you wait for the watch to arrive after ordering?
Greetings is offline   Reply With Quote