The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 November 2019, 04:33 PM   #1
Cat_lover
"TRF" Member

Resale value in 2019

While having a general discussion with AD he mentioned that aside from a selected few professional models, re-sale value of Rolex is not that great in 2019.

Especially for DateJusts (both SS and TT) and more so for diamond dial/bezels. One would only be able to get back around 50% of price one paid if lucky.

Is that true? What are your views? Also chime in if anyone was able to sell their recently purchased Rolex for a good price (aside from professional models).

I am just curious as I have no plans to sell any watch (I like to keep my belongings) but it was once thought that Rolex (even dressy models) keep their value well and it is a secure investment, but 50% of what one paid and that only if lucky coming from an AD made me wonder.
Cat_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 04:39 PM   #2
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

50% off?! Surely this was a typo. Did you mean 15?

You are correct, there is most wiggle room with precious metal pieces, especially those with diamonds, more so in the ladies selections, less so in professional models or highly desired, limited production pieces, such as the rainbow Daytona, for instance.

Two tones are next, especially DJ and or smaller/ladies pieces.

Difficult to get any discount on any stainless steel, from most ADs in mostly every part of the world, damn near impossible for any stainless steel professional model.

Good luck and happy hunting!
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 04:47 PM   #3
Cat_lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post

You are correct, there is most wiggle room with precious metal pieces, especially those with diamonds, more so in the ladies selections, less so in professional models or highly desired, limited production pieces, such as the rainbow Daytona, for instance.

Difficult to get any discount on any stainless steel, from most ADs in mostly every part of the world, damn near impossible for any stainless steel professional model.

I think my question was misunderstood, I edited it for clarity. I meant to say that if one bought a DJ for say, 10000 he would only be able to get back around 5000 if he decides to sell it after a few months (opinion of AD).
Cat_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 04:48 PM   #4
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
50% is a bit of a stretch. Actually, it's a big stretch, even by wholesale standards.

2019 saw premiums and waitlists on some stainless steel Datejust 41 models. Go figure that one out.

What do you mean by "investment"? If you're referring to "quick flips," a handful of stainless steel models (and one PM Daytona) will get you very quick cash, normally at a multiple of 1.5-1.7x MSRP. If you mean something that you can sit on for decades and do better than the stock market, you're wasting your time.
Old 12 November 2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Your AD is buying new watches from Rolex at -38%.

If he buys your Rolex and wants to factor in a service and a minimum of +20% profit on resale.
You have your answer.

Of course the prices in the private sector depending on the model can be much different.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 04:59 PM   #6
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Watches are not investments and people who treat them as such are ruining this hobby for the true enthusiasts!
Old 12 November 2019, 05:03 PM   #7
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

I think he is saying that is what he would give you if you traded in a model that was easy for him to get more of directly from Rolex.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 05:30 PM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post

Definitely not 15 when it comes to TT datejusts, diamond pieces, lady models etc. You’d be doing amazingly well to only lose 15% when the AD would need to bring it in, do anything necessary to it, and make a profit (yet having to be enough under list to be attractive). 50 makes more sense as a trade sell for the models I mention above
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 05:41 PM   #9
Panych
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle3130 View Post
Watches are not investments and people who treat them as such are ruining this hobby for the true enthusiasts!
Why can’t hobby be an investment and how it can ruin it?
Look at vintage or exclusive cars, paintings, post stamps, etc. i would say quite the oppositе; the watch hobby heats interest in watches and makes them as an object of investment.
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 06:00 PM   #10
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_lover View Post
I think my question was misunderstood, I edited it for clarity. I meant to say that if one bought a DJ for say, 10000 he would only be able to get back around 5000 if he decides to sell it after a few months (opinion of AD).
Forgive me. I understand now. No that's not true. If you buy smart then you keep a lot of your money. You have to also sell smart too. Buying a brand new dj with a 10 percent off TT, you may lose a couple thousand but not 50 percent.
Old 12 November 2019, 06:01 PM   #11
nnigel46
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me do my thing
Buying used vs new.........if you brought used a couples years back in today’s market you will make a profit but buying new is most certainly a loss
nnigel46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 06:03 PM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Hobbies attract a diverse cohort of participants for a number of different reasons, and a number of common reasons. They are inclusive, not exclusive.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 06:11 PM   #13
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Definitely not 15 when it comes to TT datejusts, diamond pieces, lady models etc. You’d be doing amazingly well to only lose 15% when the AD would need to bring it in, do anything necessary to it, and make a profit (yet having to be enough under list to be attractive). 50 makes more sense as a trade sell for the models I mention above
I agree, if paid in full, plus tax, and then on trade in price, you may be left with only half. But buying ladies PM full retail plus tax AND selling via a trade means you're getting screwed every which way, from the front end and on the back end...
Old 12 November 2019, 07:25 PM   #14
APPRF
"TRF" Member

50% is too much. Never buy PM,TT, or even SS DJs new unless you want a relationship with AD to be able to purchase SS sports. In the current market some SS DJs are also scarce, you may be able to get back more than 90% if bought new. The only TT that you can make money on if you bought new is the Root Beer. Even the famous Daytona, you will lose money if you buy a TT Daytona new. I buy watches to wear though. Never thought of making money on them, and I always wear them, but it feels nice if they have good resale value.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 07:49 PM   #15
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panych View Post
Why can’t hobby be an investment and how it can ruin it?
Look at vintage or exclusive cars, paintings, post stamps, etc. i would say quite the oppositе; the watch hobby heats interest in watches and makes them as an object of investment.
What I meant by that is the “investment” aspect attracts most people who are only chasing a buck and not genuinely interested in the product itself. That is what is bad for the hobby. Basically there is an inverse ratio of price of a Rolex to the quality of member on this forum. When the prices go up, members come out of the woodwork asking about prices and when the price is down, there is meaningful discussion about the watches we enjoy.
Old 12 November 2019, 08:46 PM   #16
kepler22
"TRF" Member

There is not really any incentive for an AD to give you a decent price on most models as a trade in, as they have to factor in service costs prior to putting it back in the window and even for a sought after professional model they cannot charge more than MRSP
kepler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 10:07 PM   #17
Alex71168
"TRF" Member

Ask for a discount on TT or PM or look at used market if you want to minimise loss, long term you will always see a rise. If you buy used make sure you get box papers and is a reputable store.
Alex71168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 10:10 PM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_lover View Post
Resale value in 2019

Is that true? What are your views?
What if it is true?

I buy my watches to own, wear and enjoy. How about you?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 10:13 PM   #19
APPRF
"TRF" Member

I think if a Rolex is out of warranty a box and papers is not important. A reputable dealer, and the option of taking it to an RSC for service report after buying, and checking it against stolen register with the option of returning if everything doesn't check out is enough. You can buy the watch cheaper without papers, and you will have an RSC service receipt and report proving it's an authentic Rolex. Having said that I wouldn't go for a no box and papers, but if I find something I like that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
Old 12 November 2019, 10:16 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
What if it is true?

Have to agree Brian its pity more Rolex owners did the same, but in many of today's Rolex owners the watches now are seen as little more than ££££$$$$$.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 10:27 PM   #21
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Any dealer, including AD’s, can charge whatever the market will bear for preowned watches, not limited by the MSRP.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 10:36 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wish that Rolex ADs never offered discounts from day one.

Once you go down that road it’s like a rabbit hole
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 10:47 PM   #23
Max7857
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AK EXP II SeaQ
Amount is less than 50% at least on ladies models. I recently wanted to trade in a Datejust 179174 with silver diamond dial on jubilee bracelet all tags, box, bezel guard, etc warranty card dated September 2017 to a trusted TRF dealer and the offer was $3500. Watch retailed for $9200. Kind of eye opening.
Max7857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 10:59 PM   #24
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max7857 View Post
Amount is less than 50% at least on ladies models. I recently wanted to trade in a Datejust 179174 with silver diamond dial on jubilee bracelet all tags, box, bezel guard, etc warranty card dated September 2017 to a trusted TRF dealer and the offer was $3500. Watch retailed for $9200. Kind of eye opening.
That's why a lot of men are trying to convince their wives to go with 36. The popularity of big size Rolex with women is not just about preference.
Old 12 November 2019, 11:08 PM   #25
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I wish that Rolex ADs never offered discounts from day one.

Once you go down that road it’s like a rabbit hole
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 11:10 PM   #26
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It just depends on the desirability of what it is you're trying to sell...just like anything else.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 11:14 PM   #27
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
What if it is true?

there are still a few of us left.
Old 12 November 2019, 11:24 PM   #28
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
You will lose money if you are looking to be an investor or flipper if you buy new. SS models hold value and perhaps will make you a little money.

Please remember people want to buy aftermarket from a reputable dealer and the dealer has to buy at a discount to make money.

I can bet any TT/DJ will lose value by at least 25-35% if you buy new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morrison0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 11:24 PM   #29
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
So enjoy this as a hobby and if you can’t then don’t do it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morrison0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 11:32 PM   #30
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Your AD is buying new watches from Rolex at -38%.

If he buys your Rolex and wants to factor in a service and a minimum of +20% profit on resale.

You have your answer.

Of course the prices in the private sector depending on the model can be much different.
Agree. Not sure why many people do not get the math.

And it applies to Grays or aftermarket independents also. You have to have a significant spread between buy and sell to make a living. To pay for then cost of doing business and to put food on the table.

Somehow, many luxury watch consumers think that AD's or Grays should work for free - and buy their watch for the amount it will be resold for, or pretty darn close. But paradoxically, they would be outraged if you asked them to provide goods or services to you for free or cost. Never got this paradox.

Unless a person inherits his or her wealth, the only way a person can afford a luxury watch is if they made a "profit" in their chose profession. And like it or not, you have to do pretty well to buy a Rolex. So, here is what I don't understand. How can a person think it is great when they make large enough profits in their business so that they can buy a Rolex, but then grouse with heart felt indignation when an AD or a Gray makes a profit also?