The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 September 2013, 02:42 PM   #31
User_Error
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post

I don't understand all the "psshhh as if counterfeiters care what we think" comments that pop up every so often. I assure you, they do.
I can assure you with 100% certainty that they in fact do not care what you think, and furthermore, don't even know you exist.

Thanks Jake2012, its so refreshing to see someone say something logical in regards to this scenario. I'm so tired of everyone who posts a pic of a bad rep being labeled a scammer or counterfeiter. The manufacturers don't need your approval or opinion on what they make and the scammers are going to put their garbage up on eBay regardless, so why would they bother?

I've been lurking here a long time but the attitudes and egos of some members here have really turned me off to participating. Love the vintage forum tho, always enjoy seeing pics of some of the most stunning and beautiful rolexes ever made.
User_Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:30 PM   #32
bungcarlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVojlib View Post
I think it looks legit....

Stevie wonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
So do I soul brother.

Ray Charles.
I see no problem, guys.

Roy Orbison
bungcarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:48 PM   #33
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm a Newbe here and i'm glad the vets are a little jaded when it comes to the "gift/Grandfather watch" question. It gets annoying to me and I've only been on here a few months.

Besides, the OP asked a question and got some free advice.
Bet we will see that same fake on Ebay in a few days too.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 05:10 PM   #34
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Error View Post
I can assure you with 100% certainty that they in fact do not care what you think, and furthermore, don't even know you exist.

Thanks Jake2012, its so refreshing to see someone say something logical in regards to this scenario. I'm so tired of everyone who posts a pic of a bad rep being labeled a scammer or counterfeiter. The manufacturers don't need your approval or opinion on what they make and the scammers are going to put their garbage up on eBay regardless, so why would they bother?

I've been lurking here a long time but the attitudes and egos of some members here have really turned me off to participating. Love the vintage forum tho, always enjoy seeing pics of some of the most stunning and beautiful rolexes ever made.
I think something even more logical is that if you looked and wore your Rolex watch long enough, you will spot flaws in a fake.
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 10:02 PM   #35
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Quote:
How would you know this?
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 10:59 PM   #36
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
I can assure you with 100% certainty that they in fact do not care what you think, and furthermore, don't even know you exist...The manufacturers don't need your approval or opinion on what they make and the scammers are going to put their garbage up on eBay regardless, so why would they bother?
I'm certainly not saying counterfeiters care what Powerfunk thinks...they care what the community as a whole thinks. If they post a garbage fake, and everyone immediately says "OMG that date wheel is terrrrible LOL" then they'll probably work on the date wheel next.

Nowadays counterfeits don't primarily come from "manufacturers." There are individual scumbags around the world painstakingly making individual fakes as realistic as they can, frankening an actual Rolex part or two here or there, etc. Why would they bother? To scam people out of as much money as possible.

Quote:
I've been lurking here a long time but the attitudes and egos of some members here have really turned me off to participating.
Please don't interpret our harshness towards fakes as ego. This place is super friendly, imho.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 11:13 PM   #37
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
I'm certainly not saying counterfeiters care what Powerfunk thinks...they care what the community as a whole thinks. If they post a garbage fake, and everyone immediately says "OMG that date wheel is terrrrible LOL" then they'll probably work on the date wheel next.

Nowadays counterfeits don't primarily come from "manufacturers." There are individual scumbags around the world painstakingly making individual fakes as realistic as they can, frankening an actual Rolex part or two here or there, etc. Why would they bother? To scam people out of as much money as possible.

Please don't interpret our harshness towards fakes as ego. This place is super friendly, imho.
I agree, the most cunning reps are coming from individuals that spent time and $ working on single watches. Their attention to detail can be frighteningly accurate. Some are doing it for themselves, while others are doing it to dupe an unsuspecting buyer. Either way

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 12:47 AM   #38
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
100% - That's a pretty absolute statement.

To say this you would have to personally know every fake manufacturer and have asked them if they knew the member in question, or us.

I don't believe you.

Lurk here and participate in the "rep" forums, see if we care.
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 01:06 AM   #39
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
I think questions tend to be more seriously addressed when they come from members that actively participate in this community. 'Lurkers' ...less so.

So, yeah if the watch came from your father or grandfather it would certainly be real.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 01:23 AM   #40
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:04 AM   #41
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Everyone don't mind my post here! This is one of the latest modus operandi on the forums!
  • Plan to sell a FAKE Rolex on Ebay or other sites.
  • Validate with reputed forums if the pictures display easily if its a Fake watch or not.
  • Create new account and ask a question posing, got this gift, is this fake?
  • If majority says it looks to be genuine.. they go ahead and try to sell it as genuine.
If some posts mention that some issues, they skip that pictures from the selling post
Whatever, I don't trust such posts.

(Not saying this OP is doing the same.. but this is general idea about such posts)
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:39 AM   #42
hpowders
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
With friends like him, you don't need enemies!
Omega Speedmaster Professional
Grand Seiko SBGX061
hpowders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:44 AM   #43
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
I agree with you, Maxy. The people posting these type of posts aren't the heads of giant fake case manufacturers, they're often people trying to figure out which pictures they should/shouldn't use, how easily they can pass it off, how low to set the price, etc.

I'm particularly wary when an OP tends to brush aside all other questions and keeps focusing on: "But how did you know it was fake? I googled 'how to spot a fake Rolex' and I still can't tell!"
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 07:23 AM   #44
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_mean View Post
I was just looking for pointers and some helpful advice in case I decide to get one, Even I had a feeling that this was a fake. The scratches and the worn out look comes from the fact that I work in a Oil rig. Well, glad I've finally sorted this out. so thanks for your expertise. Anyone else cares to point the defects that point out that it's a fake ?
More than the watch pictures, now its YOU and your replies which is pointing out that its a fake and you are well aware!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 07:39 AM   #45
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
What he said^^^^
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 12:54 PM   #46
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
I have a question for all those that think pointing out the defects does not help the counterfeiters: Why do the majority of these type threads originate from NEW or FIRST TIME posters, and then POOF!!!, they're gone?!?
Old 12 September 2013, 12:56 PM   #47
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
I think questions tend to be more seriously addressed when they come from members that actively participate in this community. 'Lurkers' ...less so.
Right on, Craig.