The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 14 January 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
adrian182
"TRF" Member

Need help identifying my watch.

Hi guys,

I've attached some pictures of my Rolex Day-Date. I am wondering if anyone can help me identify more details about this watch. It was given to me by my dad, but even he cant remember when he bought it and he no longer can find the original certificate.

I just want to know more details so I can valuate it's worth before I bring it into service at Rolex service centre. It'll be good to know before actually paying $700 for a service.

Appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4760.jpg (59.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4761.jpg (41.4 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4762.JPG (266.4 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4763.jpg (41.3 KB, 312 views)
adrian182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Don't bring it to Rolex.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2012, 11:09 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Sorry to inform your watch is not a genuine Rolex.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2012, 11:16 PM   #4
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Now that's a fake.
Old 14 January 2012, 11:42 PM   #5
adrian182
"TRF" Member

Hi guys, thanks for the quick response.

Please do tell me why you think its a fake, and its that just a hunch or there is something blatantly obvious that I am not seeing. I still know the store that my dad bought this watch from ages ago, and I am sure they are an authorized Rolex dealer. I would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts more in depth as this is honestly quite shocking to me. Thanks.
Old 15 January 2012, 12:03 AM   #6
LeotheLion

Watch: GMT2 and Datejust
Don't think you would be charged for a service.They might charge you for having a counterfeit Rolex though.
LeotheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 12:20 AM   #7
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian182 View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the quick response.

Please do tell me why you think its a fake, and its that just a hunch or there is something blatantly obvious that I am not seeing. I still know the store that my dad bought this watch from ages ago, and I am sure they are an authorized Rolex dealer. I would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts more in depth as this is honestly quite shocking to me. Thanks.
It's not a hunch. It's obvious the watch is a fake.

Old 15 January 2012, 12:26 AM   #8
adrian182
"TRF" Member

I'm not a Rolex fanatic so I cant pick up on what may be obvious to most posters in this forum.

Can i know specifically what indicates to you that it is fake? This is because my dad paid at least $10,000 for this watch at a rolex distributor store in Asia, which is still open to this date and he may still have the receipt. What he doesnt have is the genuine certificate which we thought he either lost or misplace, but after reading your comments, i wonder if he even got one.

I'd appreciate some actual helpful comments that I can bring back to the store that sold this to him many years ago, if it really it a fake.
Old 15 January 2012, 12:28 AM   #9
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
We don't discuss fakes.

EVERYTHING on that watch is FAKE, OK?
Old 15 January 2012, 12:32 AM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Adrian
This is a forum. Some members gave you their opinions - including a moderator with years of experience.

You can get a full evaluation by taking it to your nearest AD instead of sending it in for a service. Or even an independent watchmaker who specializes in Rolex work.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 12:35 AM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
We don't discuss fakes.

EVERYTHING on that watch is FAKE, OK?
Well, one thing is correct: ROLEX is spelled right.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 12:40 AM   #12
Rolex Rolex
"TRF" Member

Nice day-date
Rolex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 01:09 AM   #13
adrian182
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Adrian
This is a forum. Some members gave you their opinions - including a moderator with years of experience.

You can get a full evaluation by taking it to your nearest AD instead of sending it in for a service. Or even an independent watchmaker who specializes in Rolex work.
I don't mean any disrespect, and I hope any of my comments didnt come out that way. But like I said, I'm not a Rolex fanatic and wouldn't know one particular model from another, so I'm here seeking opinions from you experts and just asking for a more in depth answer, as all I'm getting is vague answers of "Yes, its fake".

Thoughts like these would actually help -
What parts of the watch give it off to you that it's fake?
What can I do regarding the sell of this watch from an authorized Rolex dealer?

It's not that I don't believe any of you, I actually do and I'm just shocked and feel cheated and sorry for my dad who bought this many years ago from an authorized Rolex distributor. Hence, the need for more info from experts such as yourself. I will now be going to an independent watchmaker to get some final feedback, and then finally back to the original store where my dad bought it from to get some answers.

It seems like posting pictures of the watch above is taboo in this forum. I am just merely looking for answers, but I understand if you don't want to further elaborate your thoughts.
Old 15 January 2012, 01:21 AM   #14
MonBK
Banned

It's really not much more to elaborate on.
That model Rolex ie. Daydate doesn't exist in the configuration you are showing and your dad did NOT buy it from an authorized Rolex dealer, end of story.
Old 15 January 2012, 01:50 AM   #15
adrian182
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
It's really not much more to elaborate on.
That model Rolex ie. Daydate doesn't exist in the configuration you are showing and your dad did NOT buy it from an authorized Rolex dealer, end of story.
Okay, that at least helps me a little as I now know that the configuration doesnt exist in the DayDate model. Thanks.

But yes, I know for a fact he did get it from an authorized Rolex dealer. My dad lives back in South East Asia, and I am not surprised that they could do dodgy business.
Old 15 January 2012, 02:16 AM   #16
RolexSA

Quote:
My dad lives back in South East Asia, and I am not surprised that they could do dodgy business.
Dodgy business ? They or your dad ?
RolexSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 02:25 AM   #17
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Okay, that at least helps me a little as I now know that the configuration doesnt exist in the DayDate model. Thanks.

But yes, I know for a fact he did get it from an authorized Rolex dealer. My dad lives back in South East Asia, and I am not surprised that they could do dodgy business.
For the last time, your dad did not buy it from a Rolex AD.
Old 15 January 2012, 02:41 AM   #18
adrian182
"TRF" Member

I'd be happy to name and shame the AD, once I've confronted them and located receipts and such. That is if anyone is even interested in a follow up since this is such a 'friendly' and 'helpful' forum.

Thanks to those rare few that actually bothered helping. I do believe and value your expertise, but not the ones with condescending and unhelpful replies.
Old 15 January 2012, 02:51 AM   #19
RolexSA

I'm sure that many here are looking forward seeing the receipt for this watch from an Rolex AD .
Old 15 January 2012, 02:54 AM   #20
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
I'd be happy to name and shame the AD, once I've confronted them and located receipts and such. That is if anyone is even interested in a follow up since this is such a 'friendly' and 'helpful' forum.

Thanks to those rare few that actually bothered helping. I do believe and value your expertise, but not the ones with condescending and unhelpful replies.
I don't see any condescending and unhelpful replies?

You presented a fake watch and are now trying to make us believe that it was bought at an authorized Rolex shop.
Old 15 January 2012, 03:09 AM   #21
steebee2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSA View Post
I'm sure that many here are looking forward seeing the receipt for this watch from an Rolex AD .

He will never produce any receipts from an AD, because they don't exist.
steebee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 03:16 AM   #22
adrian182
"TRF" Member

RolexSA's comment that insinuates that my dad is dodgy is what I see as condescending. The first few comments may not seem unhelpful to you, but they certainly were to me, who is someone who does not see things the same as you. It's just like how spotting a fake iPhone is easy for most tech savy people, compared to people who bought from this store

I would understand how a counterfeit watch may make a Rolex enthusiast pretty upset to look at, but I came onto the forums to politely ask for advise and help (which i eventually got so thanks).

I didn't 'present' a fake watch knowingly, and I am not trying to make you believe anything. Just telling it as it is and as I know it. Anyways, I don't see any need to continue this conversation as I have my answers, so this thread can be closed/removed/whatever.
Old 15 January 2012, 03:16 AM   #23
RolexSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steebee2 View Post

He will never produce any receipts from an AD, because they don't exist.
If they do , the receipts will be as fake as the watch issued by an equally fake Rolex AD .
Old 15 January 2012, 03:26 AM   #24
RolexSA

Quote:
RolexSA's comment that insinuates that my dad is dodgy is what I see as condescending. The first few comments may not seem unhelpful to you, but they certainly were to me, who is someone who does not see things the same as you. It's just like how spotting a fake iPhone is easy for most tech savy people, compared to people who bought from this store

I would understand how a counterfeit watch may make a Rolex enthusiast pretty upset to look at, but I came onto the forums to politely ask for advise and help (which i eventually got so thanks).

I didn't 'present' a fake watch knowingly, and I am not trying to make you believe anything. Just telling it as it is and as I know it. Anyways, I don't see any need to continue this conversation as I have my answers, so this thread can be closed/removed/whatever.
What I ment is that I believe the whole story to be dodgy .. I do not believe to be condescending towards your father as I have the intimate conviction your father has noting to do with all this .
Have a look at your own first post :

" It was given to me by my dad, but even he cant remember when he bought it and he no longer can find the original certificate.

I just want to know more details so I can valuate it's worth before I bring it into service at Rolex service centre. It'll be good to know before actually paying $700 for a service."

Dad doesn't even know when he bought it and lost the certificate ? Now you are claiming to know the AD's name and will locate the receipt ? It would seem that your father has a short memory or this watch has never been worn . NOT a single scratch on it !
Before paying 700 dollar for a service ? Did you think an authentic Rolex Day date is not worth a 700 dollar service ? Do not worry Rolex will not charge you 700 dollar when you take that watch to RSC , they will not even charge you a penny , believe me .
Posting links to other websites may not be appreciated by the moderators either here . Guess this thread might be closed soon .
Old 15 January 2012, 03:34 AM   #25
subfanatic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Maybe people should take a little time to research these watches instead of plopping them down here with.. "Is this real??" I would say that if you have to ask...9 out of 10 times it's fake. It's always left by a grandfather or in this case father. I'll never figure that out. There must be thousands of counterfeit Rolex bought by elderly men close to death.
subfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 04:29 AM   #26
bplein
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-IIC
Dodgy or not, I think this is what happens some times on this site. First timers come in and, whether they've read the rules or not, simply don't know what they have, and have no expertise in judging a watch.

I'm trying to learn more about vintage watches. So I'm reading this "WatchOut!" forum pretty diligently, trying to learn to spot and avoid fake Rolexes. So this thread is interesting to me.

A simple "Never sold in that configuration" is helpful, but it took a while to get that response. I, for one, don't know the resources to look for to determine if a watch was ever sold in that configuration.

Anyhow, I'm a "student" here, and learning how to spot fakes would be a good thing. The only downside of assisting someone is that maybe the site would be assisting people who want to produce and sell the fakes, by training them on their mistakes. Is this the reason why this forum is so "short" on explanations at times?

I agree that the OP seems to have changed his story....
2013 Tudor Black Bay 79220R
2014 Milgauss 116400
Wife: 2015 Lady-Datejust 179160
bplein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 04:31 AM   #27
MoBe
"TRF" Member

I reckon the truth of of the situation is that most people that post pictures of a watch that is is questionable already know what the answer to their question is going to be because they don`t believe it themselves,either because of the watch or the person they got it from.If they didn`t doubt it why would they want another opinion?

Very few people are naive enough to not know anything about the watch or the person they got it from.

This really leaves only one question unanswered,why bother?They bother because they`re hoping someone will tell them what they want to hear,and when they don`t they get upset sometimes.
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 04:53 AM   #28
kev647
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBe View Post
This really leaves only one question unanswered,why bother?
Well, my guess is that (1) they hope that if TRF members can't tell, then it might pass as a "real" one so that they feel better about it. Or...(2) these are the individuals producing the fakes and once we tell them every little thing that we were able to notice immediately, they will then change the fakes to become better. Maybe they are doing market research...or maybe I'm just crazy.

+1 on OPs story being a bit inconsistent, IMHO.
kev647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 09:35 AM   #29
adrian182
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplein View Post
A simple "Never sold in that configuration" is helpful, but it took a while to get that response. I, for one, don't know the resources to look for to determine if a watch was ever sold in that configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplein View Post
Is this the reason why this forum is so "short" on explanations at times?
Thank you. Finally, someone who knows how i feel here. The official Rolex site doesn't have a list of their old catalog so one like myself did not know where to go or begin. So at least I'm not the only one who sees the replies I got as short :)

With the more recent replies above, esp. Kev647, I now can understand what some of you were thinking and can accept your chain of thoughts and what i deemed as 'unhelpful'.

I do have to apologise as only yesterday I found (info from this forum) that the official AD in South East Asia is in Singapore, and there are no AD in neighbouring countries such as Brunei, Vietnam, Myanmar etc. From what I understand so far, the AD in Singapore distributes their stock to these other countries. I would have to contact the Singapore AD to find out if this store is on it's distribution list. My guess is yes they are, as the store does sells itself as an Authorised Distributor (which I actually believe until yesterday), and together with that are also selling counterfeit ones. Anyways, I dont fully know how this works so dont crucify me on this, this is just what I read and understand so far.

I didnt 'change' my story, but I did in fact try to summarize it for simplicity sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSA View Post
Dad doesn't even know when he bought it and lost the certificate ? Now you are claiming to know the AD's name and will locate the receipt ? It would seem that your father has a short memory or this watch has never been worn . NOT a single scratch on it !
Back in the old day, when my dad was in a good financial position, he splurged on several watches. He doesnt know the exact year he got them as he bought many watches from different South East Asian countries within a short span of a few years. He only remembers it to be circa early 1990s, and mind you he is almost 80 now. One of his personal friends would be the so called owners of this very store I have in question, and as usual, offered him a cheaper deal when purchasing directly through a friend. At first I didnt know if he was given an authentic certificate or lost it, but as of now its obvious he was conned and no genuine certificate was ever given and I guess he was okay with that back then as he trusted the wrong people. Besides getting my dad to try to dig up the actual receipts of watches he bought from this so called friend, what I can try to proof is pictures of this store claiming to sell genuine Rolexes, and verifying with the Singapore AD if they are on their distribution list, if anyone cares that is. And yes, the watch has been worn many times before and there are scratches on it, I never said it didnt?

Anyways, like I said above, what I do apologise for is claiming I bought it from an AD which obviously angered some of you. I for one actually believed this until further research. But I do know where most of you are coming from with this now. I wouldnt be bothered carrying on posting if im here just to do market research for the Rolex counterfeit gang lol. Anyways, I may have presented my questions wrongly and unintentionally got what was coming, but while posting I genuinely believed the watch was authentic, and this store i got it from was an AD due to the way they present themselves.
Old 15 January 2012, 01:29 PM   #30
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
I am interested to see how this turns out. It is clear that the OP is seeking the truth and this is quite interesting story. Please keep us updated if you find anything out.
chiko323 is offline   Reply With Quote