The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2014, 11:45 AM   #121
jot_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbg13 View Post
This is the exact watch you want if your stuck in the mountains.... no way it stops working unless ur dead and power reserve runs out
I would personally want a Breitling Emergency for this scenario! As much as I love my Explorer, the ability to call in a rescue mission trumps the Rolex niceties.

In all seriousness though, the Explorer is a FINE watch. I've been wearing my 214270 as my sole watch for the last year and it's taken all of my abuse in stride. It's the perfect companion regardless of the situation. It's looked the part as I've crawled through old, dirty manufacturing plants and when I'm all dressed up for a job interview or wedding.
jot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:00 PM   #122
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jot_ View Post
I would personally want a Breitling Emergency for this scenario! As much as I love my Explorer, the ability to call in a rescue mission trumps the Rolex niceties.

In all seriousness though, the Explorer is a FINE watch. I've been wearing my 214270 as my sole watch for the last year and it's taken all of my abuse in stride. It's the perfect companion regardless of the situation. It's looked the part as I've crawled through old, dirty manufacturing plants and when I'm all dressed up for a job interview or wedding.
agreed, Emergency is the way to go! I only said what I did because OP said this watch was made more for a desk than base camp and wished it would be more practical being in the mountains for a week...and to me, that's way off. If any Rolex was made for the mountains to take a beating.... it's this one.....but on the same note just as at home at the desk...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
bgbg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:01 PM   #123
Starbucksboss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Latest addition to the ensemble, I think this should have been my first (told my wife it will be my last). Picked up about two weeks ago, my reliable AD who sold me my DJ and Sub, this is one nice watch.

The Explorer case and bezel have clean smooth lines and a very nice finish; and now the new bracelet with that great hefty clasp. Not a small watch, but it sits low enough for dress shirts. Without the usual design cues of other Rolex's, like fluted bezels and cyclops, it has wrist presence without shouting.

The simple black (is it really black black?) dial, clear numerals and markers, as uncluttered looking as almost any in the line (the 116000 may take the cake). That thing about the hands? Not an issue for me, although I can see why some might want the hour hand extended a smidge. Lume is fine, usually lasts most of the night.

My comments about the movement are only what I've read, I'm not familiar with the technicalities. A tried and true movement, updated with a bit of new technology. Not sexy, not pushing the envelop, just solid reliability. So far, time checks have it running about +2 seconds a day.

I do know the good feeling of a solid crown, this one screws in and out comfortably, the 'feel' of winding so reassuring, my mind imagines these miniscule precise gears beautifully meshing. When setting the time, the minute hand precisely moves to the marker and holds its place like a heavy vault door. Press the crown and off you go.

With the larger watch cases currently in favor, ths ExpI moves up a bit, but stays below my personal threshhold of 40mm. Dress, sport and casual - it covers all occasions. The Explorer has been a staple in the Rolex lineup for decades, and a nice bit history.

Not that these comments are any great revelation to other Explorer owners, and to many others on this site, but it is exciting to have such a well made, versatile, rugged precision instrument on one's wrist. Since I picked it up, it has gotten virtually all my wrist time.
Love this and me too when it comes to far prefering the 40mm.
Starbucksboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 01:25 PM   #124
vertigo s2r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
agreed, Emergency is the way to go! I only said what I did because OP said this watch was made more for a desk than base camp and wished it would be more practical being in the mountains for a week...and to me, that's way off. If any Rolex was made for the mountains to take a beating.... it's this one.....but on the same note just as at home at the desk...

I would vote for Breitling Emergency II.

However, I will dissagree and say that if there was ONE Rolex made more for the mountains it's the Explorer II. There in is my dilemma with the Explorer and why I've come so close several times to getting one but always back out.

My understanding of the Explorer is it's suppose to be the watch of the old school 60s Playboy type that leaves to go on an expedition in Tibet then finds himself driving down the coast of Spain in a 250 GT California with a blonde and 3hrs later wearing a dinner jacket at a soiree with a brunette. Right? ...right? No?

..or so their marketing department would want me to believe.
vertigo s2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 02:10 PM   #125
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
I think this is right

This is right-on. I have an Explorer exactly for times like these. Happens to me all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo s2r View Post

However, I will dissagree and say that if there was ONE Rolex made more for the mountains it's the Explorer II. There in is my dilemma with the Explorer and why I've come so close several times to getting one but always back out.

My understanding of the Explorer is it's suppose to be the watch of the old school 60s Playboy type that leaves to go on an expedition in Tibet then finds himself driving down the coast of Spain in a 250 GT California with a blonde and 3hrs later wearing a dinner jacket at a soiree with a brunette. Right? ...right? No?

nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 10:58 PM   #126
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you are all about following their advertisements and marketing the Explorer 2 was made for cave exploration where you can't tell if it's day or night....but if you are a mountain climber and plan on using this watch as such I don't think you will be disappointed with either one...if you aren't climbing any mountains then I'm not sure I get the dilemma you speak of, who really cares what advertisements say, get the one YOU like best...

Old 23 April 2014, 11:57 PM   #127
vertigo s2r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you are all about following their advertisements and marketing the Explorer 2 was made for cave exploration where you can't tell if it's day or night....but if you are a mountain climber and plan on using this watch as such I don't think you will be disappointed with either one...if you aren't climbing any mountains then I'm not sure I get the dilemma you speak of, who really cares what advertisements say, get the one YOU like best...

I happen to summit quite a few mountains and my wife and I also happen to fly about 60k a year for fun. This is why I do have the dilemma and want to love the story behind the Explorer but as I've mentioned before it falls flat for me and honestly that's the part that makes me sad. I wish the watch was all they say it is. ...because that's what we're paying for, the reputation and the story behind the watch. Otherwise, if Rolex were a start up this watch wouldn't be worth what they are asking for.

...and I already have the one I like best. Just trying to scratch another itch you know how it goes
vertigo s2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2014, 12:21 AM   #128
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I happen to summit quite a few mountains and my wife and I also happen to fly about 60k a year for fun. This is why I do have the dilemma and want to love the story behind the Explorer but as I've mentioned before it falls flat for me and honestly that's the part that makes me sad. I wish the watch was all they say it is. ...because that's what we're paying for, the reputation and the story behind the watch. Otherwise, if Rolex were a start up this watch wouldn't be worth what they are asking for.

...and I already have the one I like best. Just trying to scratch another itch you know how it goes
that's awesome you get to summit mountains and fly! You are one of the few who can use the watch for what it was designed for....maybe the 2 than because it has the GMT for your flights as well....no shady history with the 2 as well....just a great evolution from the 1