The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 November 2019, 04:21 AM   #31
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
So I have loved watches ever since I was a kid, when I was young pre-teen and teenager I would wear inexpensive watches like Bulova, Citizens Seiko, Casio, Guess etc.

As I got older and was able to earn a living I moved onto Tag, Omega, Rolex, Ulysses Nardin etc.

I like but I don't own (yet) some AP, A. Lange etc. models.
But I am always clicking Patek sale listing on this form and never see anything that makes me fall instantly in love.

Is this something wrong with me? Am I missing that part of brain that love Patek? Maybe an older model I haven't seen yet? Or am I just not a true watch fan or WIS?
What is the AP, A. Lange etc. models do you like....??...

So we could get an idea why you don't like Patek.......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 04:46 AM   #32
DVDA
"TRF" Member

Watch: THE Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
What is the AP, A. Lange etc. models do you like....??...

So we could get an idea why you don't like Patek.......

A few of each, I like Royal Oak, Chronograph, most of all. And for A. Lange Zeitwerk if top.

I also don't like watches with Moon phase. I can't stand that.
Old 30 November 2019, 05:06 AM   #33
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
A few of each, I like Royal Oak, Chronograph, most of all. And for A. Lange Zeitwerk if top.

I also don't like watches with Moon phase. I can't stand that.
For the Lange Zeitwerk, this piece is in a league of its own....

If you like the Royal Oak, why not like the Nautilus.....??

They both very similar.......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 05:25 AM   #34
YUL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 126333
I you a PP that appeals to you buy PP, you’ll only be looking after it for the next generation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 06:19 AM   #35
DVDA
"TRF" Member

Don't know, maybe the more squared bezel and the middle bumps in band? It just doesn't sing to me. Maybe in person.
Old 30 November 2019, 07:00 AM   #36
Acquisition40
"TRF" Member

I've also loved watches since I was a kid, and until a few years ago, I didn't understood the appeal of Patek Philippe. I had owned and experienced Omega, IWC, Rolex, and AP (which was a huge jump up from many other brands), but had always thought that Pateks were too "dainty".

Until one day, I visited an AD and tried on a 5130 World Time, and upon being taught how to use the world time complication, I was completely enamored by the watch. It was an emotional experience, starting from the sensation of the pusher to the finishing of the watch and how it fit on my wrist.

From that point on, I went on to get a 5146G (slate dial), which was also amazing, but it wasn't until I had the 3940 when I really realized that this is what Patek is all about. Then I became a full-blown fan of PP, their watches, and their philosophy.

A select, few Pateks may have this instant emotional calling or "wow" factor, but from my experience, Pateks get better over time. From my ownership experience, I have had initially underwhelming models, but the really cool thing about PP is that it really does get better over time. In fact, I found it to be the opposite of getting a watch because I'm wow-ed by it then growing tired of it after a few months or a year.

Patek is really amazing in so many aspects of watchmaking, but I think their attention to proportionality (in case size/dimension, dial layout) and finishing (case, dial, movement) that makes Patek one of the best in the business. And amongst their watchmaking philosophies, they seem to want to uphold their version of what "beauty" should be.

I certainly think one could be a watch enthusiast/collector without being into Pateks, but as many say here, it's quite different to experience one (I think best through ownership: having/experiencing the watch with you in different environments, situations, and walks of life). I find that to be the case with most watches out there.

One more thing: if you get a chance to visit the PP Museum in Geneva, I would very, highly recommend it (along with a private/standard tour). Of my friends/family who have visited, it really helped them gain perspective on why PP is so significant, even for those who aren't into watches at all.

S
Acquisition40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 07:52 AM   #37
DVDA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acquisition40 View Post
I've also loved watches since I was a kid, and until a few years ago, I didn't understood the appeal of Patek Philippe. I had owned and experienced Omega, IWC, Rolex, and AP (which was a huge jump up from many other brands), but had always thought that Pateks were too "dainty".

Until one day, I visited an AD and tried on a 5130 World Time, and upon being taught how to use the world time complication, I was completely enamored by the watch. It was an emotional experience, starting from the sensation of the pusher to the finishing of the watch and how it fit on my wrist.

From that point on, I went on to get a 5146G (slate dial), which was also amazing, but it wasn't until I had the 3940 when I really realized that this is what Patek is all about. Then I became a full-blown fan of PP, their watches, and their philosophy.

A select, few Pateks may have this instant emotional calling or "wow" factor, but from my experience, Pateks get better over time. From my ownership experience, I have had initially underwhelming models, but the really cool thing about PP is that it really does get better over time. In fact, I found it to be the opposite of getting a watch because I'm wow-ed by it then growing tired of it after a few months or a year.

Patek is really amazing in so many aspects of watchmaking, but I think their attention to proportionality (in case size/dimension, dial layout) and finishing (case, dial, movement) that makes Patek one of the best in the business. And amongst their watchmaking philosophies, they seem to want to uphold their version of what "beauty" should be.

I certainly think one could be a watch enthusiast/collector without being into Pateks, but as many say here, it's quite different to experience one (I think best through ownership: having/experiencing the watch with you in different environments, situations, and walks of life). I find that to be the case with most watches out there.

One more thing: if you get a chance to visit the PP Museum in Geneva, I would very, highly recommend it (along with a private/standard tour). Of my friends/family who have visited, it really helped them gain perspective on why PP is so significant, even for those who aren't into watches at all.

S
Very informative, thank you so much.
Old 30 November 2019, 09:47 AM   #38
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you like Tag, Rolex, Omega then you probably like conventionally designed sports models and thus the Gentas are maybe not for you, as they aren't for many. As for the dress pieces I would give PP and Lange a real go before you right them off.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 06:08 PM   #39
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
If you like the Royal Oak, why not like the Nautilus.....??

They both very similar.......
I like the RO. I have the 15500 on order.
But think the Nautilus is a boring watch.
The strange TV screen dial and case is nothing like the AP to me.
They are both steel and that's about it.
Old 30 November 2019, 07:36 PM   #40
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
I like the RO. I have the 15500 on order.

But think the Nautilus is a boring watch.

The strange TV screen dial and case is nothing like the AP to me.

They are both steel and that's about it.

I agree. I never found the nautilus that Interesting, especially in steel without complications. I like the 5980 and 5712 in RG but that’s it. Royal Oak far more attractive IMO.

GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 11:16 PM   #41
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I appreciate PP for what it is and the brand history. I have never bought a PP because I have never found one that appeals to me and that meets my needs, large wrist. My AD is an authorized dealer and has an in-store boutique so I get to see a lot of very nice PP watches. I go to the PP events and talk to some of the PP owners who have amazing collections so it is not a lack of exposure for me, it just does not work for me. I do not see that as an issue as there are many other watches and brands that I do like. I just go with what I like and focus on that, not on what does not work for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 02:08 PM   #42
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

Yes!!! Because true watch collector collects what he likes first and foremost, that's all what matters. Don't have to follow the crowd
lovewatches1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 03:33 AM   #43
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Its your money, people put different value on different things. Look at Porsche vs Ferrari.. two very different means to an end. In the end what do you value. I like Patek because of the history of the brand, the finishing, the designs, I also have a great AD which makes the process better. I like that Patek doesn't go crazy with brand ambassadors. I used to like AP... but I can't stand a majority of their brand representatives so I'm out with AP.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 06:20 AM   #44
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun, moon, heehaw
I do not know what makes one a collector? Is it having 6 watches, or 24 watches? a collection worth 500K? or over a million?

Personally i find it a tad bit snobbish to disclose those numbers but then again, part of the joy is sharing and having fun conversations about one's hobby.

For years, i poopoo-ed Rolex until i bought my first. I did not want to admit i liked it. About a dozen more Rolexes, I finally confirm i like and respect Rolex.

Patek is way better IMHO, feels less showy and certainly better made.

Having said this, if you do not like a design or all Patek designs, so be it. Enjoy what you have and ponder why some spend a lot more, and lose a lot more, enjoying something you do not find attractive.

Just FYI, I appreciate watches especially Patek but certainly not a collector.
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 07:39 AM   #45
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
You can truly never appreciate a Patek I own a 5167a and a 5711 until you hold one and wear one on your wrist. The attention to details and the craftsmanship are what makes them so special. I own multiple brands Rolex sport models, AP's, Omegas etc and my Pateks models are my two favorites. Example I wear my 5167a more than my 116500ln Daytona.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 10:46 AM   #46
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I love the Aquanaut. However, it’ll likely never be at a price point that I am willing to spend on any one watch.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 08:39 PM   #47
HelixL
"TRF" Member

Product vs Brand

I will never understand the power of the Brand in the human psyche… Kudos to marketing geniuses of the world for getting that right.

To me, its all about product. Making reference to the automobile world, which I have a better grasp on, most great European car makers have gone through cycles. Bentley was amazing in 20’s and 30’s. But if you look at the 70’s and 80’s, extremely debatable. Same with many other manufacturers (brands) through time.

So its really hard for me to say ‘im a die hard Bentley fan’ liking every product they release. Same with watches. Its tough to say ‘I hate all Pateks’ or ‘I only buy Pateks’.

Patek has some great products. So does AP, Lange, FPJ, VC, and others. They also have very crappy products. And have released good models and bad models repeatedly. A ‘bad’ Patek is not a great watch just becasue its a Patek.

Buy the product you like. Ignore the brand. Thats just marketing (they are all businesses at the end of the day, not NGO’s).
HelixL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 09:56 PM   #48
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
I do not know what makes one a collector? Is it having 6 watches, or 24 watches? a collection worth 500K? or over a million?

Personally i find it a tad bit snobbish to disclose those numbers but then again, part of the joy is sharing and having fun conversations about one's hobby.

For years, i poopoo-ed Rolex until i bought my first. I did not want to admit i liked it. About a dozen more Rolexes, I finally confirm i like and respect Rolex.

Patek is way better IMHO, feels less showy and certainly better made.

Having said this, if you do not like a design or all Patek designs, so be it. Enjoy what you have and ponder why some spend a lot more, and lose a lot more, enjoying something you do not find attractive.

Just FYI, I appreciate watches especially Patek but certainly not a collector.
So glad you remembered you're on the Patek forum and resisted the usual "Ya'all!!!!!! Is that even a word???
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 10:35 PM   #49
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
You can truly never appreciate a Patek I own a 5167a and a 5711 until you hold one and wear one on your wrist. The attention to details and the craftsmanship are what makes them so special. I own multiple brands Rolex sport models, AP's, Omegas etc and my Pateks models are my two favorites. Example I wear my 5167a more than my 116500ln Daytona.
Hmmm, that's the problem is you're comparing a modern PP to lower-level decorated brands. PP is on par with Breguet and other upper-end 'mass-produced' brands, yet for many years (decades?) Patek has fallen to upper-tier instead of top-tier like FP Journe and other smaller true independents. Patek is also lagging in creativity as they have no new truly innovatiotive movements.

And yes, I've had quite a few PPs over the decades. IMHO if you want true Patek Philippe quality you'll have to spend at least $350k minimum (non-bling model) or seek our highly-complicated models pre-1990.

jmho and check out what other truly creative brands are doing. Rolex powned the annual calendar movement sector with innovation in setting via the bezel. They successfully removed the old-school side-pushers to set the day/date/etc that also hinder higher water resistance spec.

FP Journe needs no introduction, yet in a sense that is what PP could have been if they had a true visionary at the head of decision-making. Many years ago the original releases from Roger Dubuis, for example, were spectacular and supersedes Patek in quality.

It is sad to see the shell of what was once a true innovator (Patek) and leader of craftmenship in the early 1900s to mid-1950s fall to a more middling comfort zone years later and stagnate there. Sure PP offers some incredible pieces, yet they're obviously not the ones you would generally find in stores (reguardless of today's high demand where virtually any decent manufacturer can succeed). So they have the ability to some extent with movement decoration quality, yet they simply choose not to offer it within all models. ALS is a good example here that is surpassing Patek.

i do very much look forward to the day Patek Philippe gets some proper leadership who has vision and experience /daring to make it happen. Someone who has the ability the bring inspiration to watchmakers.

For now, many of us who desire true creativity and the highest of craftsmanship have moved on elsewhere.

PS: i've heard rumors that more watchmakers who desire to create the finest timepieces may have migrated to other brands too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 11:51 PM   #50
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
So glad you remembered you're on the Patek forum and resisted the usual "Ya'all!!!!!! Is that even a word???
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 12:31 AM   #51
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Of course you can AP! It’s possible to appreciate the quality of Patek without liking the watches. I appreciate VC but don’t liked the design of their watches particularly, certainly not enough to buy one.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 12:32 AM   #52
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I guess it depends on what type of “collector” are you!

There are collectors who collect ONLY what appeals to them regardless of any Internet hype
Others have to “check boxes” with holy trinity represented in their box no matter what
Others collect hype. And depending on the “hype de’ jour” they change
Then finally there are the “value collector” who seek features they want in the most value brand

No right or wrong answer, just depends on who you are and what ticks to you (pun intended)
Old 18 July 2021, 01:20 AM   #53
Partekular
"TRF" Member

… price point… resale value… bang for buck… ? LOL Buy what turns you on. We are talking watches here. Jewellery. NOT investments just selfish, aesthetic, miniaturised, mechanical amazement fun. If you want to be identified with your and by your wrist watch try Rolex!

FP Journe Blue -georgeous! If you care about resale buy ETFs.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 09:28 AM   #54
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
there is absolutely no rule about what you should and should not own or love.
you could be the biggest wis and own nothing more expensive than a casio.
does an ultra wealthy watch collector who can't even pronounce his watches make him a true collector ?
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 02:08 AM   #55
R.bartlett
Banned

TBH I don't own a PP as yet but to say you can't find one you like seems a bit strange?

Their range is so vast and so very diverse it takes real effort not to like at least one. <IMHO>
R.bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 02:19 AM   #56
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"ya'all" as you spelled out is not much of a word.

"y'all" as we do in yonder is a bonafide word.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/y%27all

and for your European cohort, per Cambridge https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...-all?q=y%27all

Languages evolve. People, who knows!

I promise y'all - Midland, Odessa, and Brownsville, all in Texas are Patek meccas in their own right (not to mention Dallas, and Houston). Only in the South, they teach us to be humble.
Old 20 July 2021, 01:43 AM   #57
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure language always evolves. Devolves would be closer. And before you fact check me, devolves is a word. Though "y'all" is inherently plural, in the instance of addressing a larger group of people,"all y'all is more of a casual slang phrase that's ' sometimes used...The only right way to spell the contraction of "you" and all is "y'all. "Ya"ll is incorrect and a misspelling of the word, so don't use it. Quoted from https://southernliving.com

Last edited by Widows Son; 20 July 2021 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: content
Old 20 July 2021, 01:52 AM   #58
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not sure language always evolves. Devolves would be closer. And before you fact check me, devolves is a word.
Fair point. Languages can devolve. People and their attitudes too, sadly so. Many examples of it. You seem intent to demonstrate that.

Best wishes.
Old 20 July 2021, 03:58 AM   #59
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
Fair point. Languages can devolve. People and their attitudes too, sadly so. Many examples of it. You seem intent to demonstrate that.

Best wishes.
The obvious doesn't need much demonstration!!! You seem to have a great sense of humor, I like that!! Also, you have a great collection of timepieces. I enjoy your threads!!!
Old 20 July 2021, 04:38 AM   #60
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

"Language is a Virus"

Quote:
The obvious doesn't need much demonstration!!! You seem to have a great sense of humor, I like that!! Also, you have a great collection of timepieces. I enjoy your threads!!!
my honor and pleasure.
Happy to read your note sir.
This is one of my favorite songs, and for once, not country music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvOoR8m0oms